PDA

View Full Version : Is Marshall underpaid with about 58 WRs making more? Should he get extension?

Tned
08-02-2009, 12:18 PM
So, based on his production on the field, is Marshall underpaid? Should the Broncos lock him up with an extension before he becomes a restricted free agent?

UnderArmour
08-02-2009, 12:21 PM
Based on his on-field production, absolutely no question whatsoever that he deserves a raise and it is ridiculous he hasn't received one yet.

Off the field however, he's caught the attention of the league office too early in his career. Very bad sign. I do think he is on his way to cleaning up his act and he has only been suspended for one game as a result of all of these incidents. What should happen and may have already: McDaniels promises him a mid season extension if production keeps up and off the field problems cease. I know it was Shanahan's policy not to renegotiate mid season, but McDaniels is a new regime and likely does not have that policy.

Lonestar
08-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Once he has demo'ed his ability to stay out of troble and his ability to function in this scheme I have no issuse in him getting a better contract

Until a new CBA is signed he is a RFA thru the 2011 season. With a salary of about 3.1-3.3 per year. Plus maybe incentives.

If Josh likes what he see's I would not have an issuse with him getting a new contract but not until Josh is happy with his progress.

Sent via Blackberry.

Nomad
08-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Based on his on-field production, absolutely no question whatsoever that he deserves a raise and it is ridiculous he hasn't received one yet.

Off the field however, he's caught the attention of the league office too early in his career. Very bad sign. I do think he is on his way to cleaning up his act and he has only been suspended for one game as a result of all of these incidents. What should happen and may have already: McDaniels promises him a mid season extension if production keeps up and off the field problems cease. I know it was Shanahan's policy not to renegotiate mid season, but McDaniels is a new regime and likely does not have that policy.

I agree with you and do hope he is cleaning up his act. I've said all along the Xanders and Bowlen should draw up a can't-pass-up contract and show Marshall this is what he gets after 8 games if he produces on the field (proves he's healthy from his injuries) and stays away from trouble!!

topscribe
08-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Yes, I believe they should rewrite his contract and pay him . . . but only after
his impending court date to see how that turns out.

BMarsh is an uncommon talent, and I desperately want him to stay, but if he's
not going to be on the field the issue becomes moot.

Regarding the anticipation he won't be here next year: that is also up to the
Broncos. As I understand, he will be a restricted free agent (although I don't
know how the new CAP deal will affect that if they allow that to play out), so
all the Broncos will have to do is to match offers, and he will still suit up in the
Blue & Orange.

-----

Nomad
08-02-2009, 12:45 PM
Speaking of contracts, isn't it Xanders and Bowlen that deal with the negotiating and I didn't think McDaniel's had a say in it???:confused:

Simple Jaded
08-02-2009, 01:12 PM
They should trade him for another RB or a backup LongSnapper.

Too bad Marshall has issues, otherwise they could get both. They must know something we don't, as I'm told they do have a plan.......

DenBronx
08-02-2009, 01:13 PM
PFT just reported that Brandon Marshal limped off the practice field with the help of the trainers. As of right now it looks like nothing too serious.

Lonestar
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
Yes, I believe they should rewrite his contract and pay him . . . but only after
his impending court date to see how that turns out.

BMarsh is an uncommon talent, and I desperately want him to stay, but if he's
not going to be on the field the issue becomes moot.

Regarding the anticipation he won't be here next year: that is also up to the
Broncos. As I understand, he will be a restricted free agent (although I don't
know how the new CAP deal will affect that if they allow that to play out), so
all the Broncos will have to do is to match offers, and he will still suit up in the
Blue & Orange.

-----

Until a new CBA is signed, he is a RFA thru the end of 2011, and then we may even be able to franchise him.. I saw numbers saying his base salary would bump up to 3.1-3.3 mil in 2010-11 repsectively which for most normal folks an almost 50% raise is pretty decent for 2010..

the class of 2005-07 got screwed with the owners opting out of the CBA.. but perhaps that was what this was all about.. getting control of contract again.

NorthernLights
08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
This isn't encouraging.

Marshall limps off field
by Mike Klis on August 2, 2009

Uh-oh. Broncos receiver limped away from the practice field and into the locker room Sunday morning. It appeared Marshall was favoring his left hip. Dr. Marc Philippon of Vail operated on Marshall’s hip on March 31. Arizona quarterback Kurt Warner, who also had hip surgery performed by Dr. Philippon, said full recovery time is six to 12 months.

For Marshall, that would optimistically put his return to full health at Sept. 30.

Hawgdriver
08-02-2009, 04:49 PM
So, based on his production on the field, is Marshall underpaid? Should the Broncos lock him up with an extension before he becomes a restricted free agent?

He's getting paid the exact proper amount. He has a contract and it says how much he is to earn.

If you got paid according to production, he ought to make much more. But that's the downside of contracts. They are great protection for players like Jarvis Moss, but they don't pay overachievers early enough. There are two sides to the coin. I don't pity Marshall.

From a business perspective, I have no patience for Marshall. He has painted himself into a corner. He is fooling himself if he thinks he can escape without getting wet paint all over the place. He's hurt and he has a record of misconduct. It would be foolish to lock him up with those risks.

I say have a man to man talk with him and tell him if he shows his old stuff in September, we'll have a new deal ready for him early in the season. Hint at terms that can be mutually agreeable w/o drawing a line in the sand. Mean it. And until then esstee-effyou Brandon b/c your mouth was never your best feature. Be physical and silent, it suits you. Still want to see you as a Bronco for years to come, but it's going to take more than just being 'the beast'.

I'm probably giving him too much of the blame, because NFL agents are to the media as pimps are to hoes.

Lonestar
08-02-2009, 04:54 PM
He's getting paid the exact proper amount. He has a contract and it says how much he is to earn.

If you got paid according to production, he ought to make much more. But that's the downside of contracts. They are great protection for players like Jarvis Moss, but they don't pay overachievers early enough. There are two sides to the coin. I don't pity Marshall.

From a business perspective, I have no patience for Marshall. He has painted himself into a corner. He is fooling himself if he thinks he can escape without getting wet paint all over the place. He's hurt and he has a record of misconduct. It would be foolish to lock him up with those risks.

I say have a man to man talk with him and tell him if he shows his old stuff in September, we'll have a new deal ready for him early in the season. Hint at terms that can be mutually agreeable w/o drawing a line in the sand. Mean it. And until then esstee-effyou Brandon b/c your mouth was never your best feature. Be physical and silent, it suits you. Still want to see you as a Bronco for years to come, but it's going to take more than just being 'the beast'.

I'm probably giving him too much of the blame, because NFL agents are to the media as pimps are to hoes.

outstanding post have tired in vain to post it that way for months..

BTW thanks for your service in Hawgs all this time. I thought you drove pigs to slaughter..

Northman
08-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Once he has demo'ed his ability to stay out of troble and his ability to function in this scheme I have no issuse in him getting a better contract

Until a new CBA is signed he is a RFA thru the 2011 season. With a salary of about 3.1-3.3 per year. Plus maybe incentives.

If Josh likes what he see's I would not have an issuse with him getting a new contract but not until Josh is happy with his progress.

Sent via Blackberry.

Yep, basically this. Until he can prove he can even go one year without having a domestic issue you dont fork out the cash. If he stays healthy, plays well, and keeps his nose clean i have no problem paying him the money.

Chris90210
08-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Marshall has issues at home and from time to time the field also
http://www.complex.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/brandon-marshall-no-glove.jpg

remember the white glove thing

if he didn't pull the crap he pulls I would say 100% but marshall does too many things that to me says he doesn't deserve it.

Italianmobstr7
08-02-2009, 06:22 PM
Marshall has issues at home and from time to time the field also
http://www.complex.com/blogs/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/brandon-marshall-no-glove.jpg

remember the white glove thing

if he didn't pull the crap he pulls I would say 100% but marshall does too many things that to me says he doesn't deserve it.

So do TO, Chad Johnson also not deserve big contracts? They do celebrations to hurt their teams so I guess that means regardless of their GREAT production they don't deserve contracts either?

broncofanatic1987
08-02-2009, 08:13 PM
Marshall is not underpaid. If he's acquitted after his trial in Atlanta, the Broncos should sign him to an extension that will hopefully protect them from future bad behavior by Marshall.

Chris90210
08-02-2009, 08:29 PM
So do TO, Chad Johnson also not deserve big contracts? They do celebrations to hurt their teams so I guess that means regardless of their GREAT production they don't deserve contracts either?

Marshall's problems do not just solely occur during celebrations.

According to Orlando-Orange County public records (case 48-2004-MM-012392-O), on Halloween 2004, while a student at UCF, Marshall was arrested in Orlando on charges of assault on a law enforcement officer, refusal to obey, disorderly conduct and resisting an officer.[39]

On March 26, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Highlands Ranch suburb of Denver on suspicion of domestic violence after his girlfriend reported that following a domestic dispute, Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house.[42] Charges from the incident were later dismissed on May 25, 2007, after Marshall completed anger management counseling.[43]

In the early morning of October 22, 2007, Marshall was arrested in the Denver-Aurora metropolitan area at the intersection of 14th and Blake St. for driving under the influence of alcohol.[44] A trial was scheduled for September 16, but Marshall instead agreed to a plea bargain four days earlier; he pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability impaired.[45] He was sentenced to one-year probation and 24 hours of community service.

On June 12, 2008, Marshall was ticketed for an illegal lane change, then found to be without his license and proof of insurance.[46] The case was eventually dropped as part of a plea bargain for the October 22, 2007 driving incident involving alcohol.[45]

According to an article published in the Rocky Mountain News on July 28, 2008, Douglas County deputies fielded "about 11" calls to Marshall's home since January 2006. The article stated that one call resulted in Marshall being arrested (the March 26, 2007 domestic dispute), and some did not involve him at all.[47]

A September 17, 2008 article on CompleteColorado.com stated that the solicitor's office in Fulton County, Georgia filed misdemeanor battery charges on September 10 for an alleged incident on March 4, 2008, in Atlanta, Georgia. Marshall was booked on March 6, then released the next day after posting a $1,000 cash bond.[48] The case was assigned to Judge John Mather in Georgia state court. An email from Judge Mather's office to CompleteColorado.com indicated that no court date had been set, but that the date would likely be in November or December.[49]

On March 1, 2009, Marshall was arrested in Atlanta for disorderly conduct after allegedly being involved in a fight with his fiancee, Michi Nogami-Campbell. Marshall was released on a $300 bond.[50] The charges were dropped the following day.[51]

I do not see the point in paying $$$ to someone who has a problem with getting in trouble with the law and could cost him games during the season.

Whats the point in having the highest paid player in the NFL if he is suspended for 10 weeks for something stupid or avoidable.

Kinda like Matt Jones he isn't that bad of a player but he keeps screwing himself over by doing stupid crap and go figure no one has been fighting over him trying to get him signed.

I wouldn't sign either chad or TO because they are distractions. Heck you are in the wrong if you don't throw TO the ball on every play that is a pass because if you don't pass it to him he blames the loss on the fact he didn't get enough tosses and if he does get all the tosses its the QB's fault for throwing it poorly if you still lose.

If Brandon Marshall would straighten his life up and quit being such a risk I would love to see him extended because he is a heck of a player that puts his heart and soul into every play but he is worthless if he is suspended or in jail.

Northman
08-02-2009, 10:52 PM

Great point but do those guys have championship rings?

slim
08-02-2009, 11:40 PM
They should trade him for another RB or a backup LongSnapper.

Too bad Marshall has issues, otherwise they could get both. They must know something we don't, as I'm told they do have a plan.......

Troll

Tned
08-03-2009, 10:54 AM
A lot rides on this hip now, in more ways than one.

First, neither the Broncos nor another team will want to sign him if they think the hip will be a long term problem.

Second, the more problems he has with the hip, the more resentment he will have towards the Broncos who he feels misdiagnosed his hip, which led to the surgery.

If the hip is healthy and he doesn't get convicted in his upcoming trial, then I think they need to sign him to an extension before he starts getting offer sheets as an RFA.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2009, 11:06 AM

True.. but what would the steelers be without their WR corp? Now and in the 70's? What about the 49ers? Would they have won those SBs without Rice? Would the Dallas Cowboys have won 3 without Irvin? Last year the Cards went to the Super bowl... and what do you know, they have a guy by the name of Fitzgerald on their team. Would they have made it without him?

People can criticize some of the celebrations if they want (I personally don't see what the big deal is...its a game..its a game for the fans... its a game of excitment and entertainment.... celebrate. No big deal), but the celebrations don't detract away from any team as much as their big-time presence on the field does benefits it.

But this "he signed the contract, thats how much he should get paid" thing, just doesn't work in the NFL. Contracts are NOT guaranteed. Meaning the owners and the GMs would absolutely LOVE it if they could simply sign a guy to a contract, then have the right to drop him like a hat and not have to pay him anymore, and not worry about the players wanting the money they are worth!! For those of you that think this is a fair deal, PLEASE come work for me. Seems you guys want to just put your nose down and ignore when you are being screwed.

GEM
08-03-2009, 11:15 AM
I'd say if the Aug. 13th trial goes well, give him an incentive laden extension. I don't think the Broncos can fairly assess until at least then.

Slick
08-03-2009, 11:27 AM
It's not about celebrations, or anything he's done on the field. The reason he doesn't have a new contract is because his off the field stuff coupled with the fact that he wanted to leave, demanded a trade etc.

Everyone knows he's our best receiver, has all the tools to shatter all Denver WR records. He shows the coaches and his teammates that he's part of the solution he'll get his money.

I wouldn't pay him now either. Everyone on this team has to prove themselves and I like that accountability that McDaniel's is trying to instill.

CoachChaz
08-03-2009, 11:29 AM
I'd say if the Aug. 13th trial goes well, give him an incentive laden extension. I don't think the Broncos can fairly assess until at least then.

That's the wisest decision to protect all parties. Stay out of trouble and stay on the field and continue to produce and the money is yours. Pretty simple concept for most of the world.

Northman
08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
True.. but what would the steelers be without their WR corp? Now and in the 70's? What about the 49ers? Would they have won those SBs without Rice? Would the Dallas Cowboys have won 3 without Irvin? Last year the Cards went to the Super bowl... and what do you know, they have a guy by the name of Fitzgerald on their team. Would they have made it without him?

Problem is ravage is that those receivers you just mentioned were team players. They were guys who just went about their business and performed to the best of their abilities. The question isnt that Ocho Stinko and TO arent talented receivers. No one has questioned that. The problem is their ability to create problems with their "attitudes" and "behavior" on and off the field. Aside from Irvin's late career drug issue off the field (which wasnt a punishable offense back then by the NFL) i dont recall any of those guys like Rice, Stallworth, etc who created that much drama for their respective teams.

People can criticize some of the celebrations if they want (I personally don't see what the big deal is...its a game..its a game for the fans... its a game of excitment and entertainment.... celebrate. No big deal), but the celebrations don't detract away from any team as much as their big-time presence on the field does benefits it.

I love celebrations like the next guy. However, since the NFL got a bug up their butt about them they have started to punish the players for doing them. And in that Cleveland game Marshall was about to do something that could have cost the Broncos the game just because Marshall wanted to buck the system. So while Brandon has all the talent in the world just like Ocho Stinko and TO they all have one major thing in common.

1. They are distractions to their teams
2. None of them have championship rings

Fact is man, if guys like TO were so wanted like you say they are why is he a journeyman? Why doesnt he have a crapload of rings? Dallas is a up and coming team so why wouldnt they retain a guy like that if he was so valuable? The answer is easy. He is too much of a headcase and sooner or later Ocho and Brandon will also become journeymen because teams get fed up with those kinds of players regardless of the talent. Sorry, i would still take a guy like Rice, Smith, Harrison, etc because they are the total package.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Fact is man, if guys like TO were so wanted like you say they are why is he a journeyman? Why doesnt he have a crapload of rings? Dallas is a up and coming team so why wouldnt they retain a guy like that if he was so valuable? The answer is easy. He is too much of a headcase and sooner or later Ocho and Brandon will also become journeymen because teams get fed up with those kinds of players regardless of the talent. Sorry, i would still take a guy like Rice, Smith, Harrison, etc because they are the total package.

A couple things. One... TO is a journyman because teams continue to WANT him because of his talents. Sure the fans run him out after a while, but I've never seen a team win a championship based purely on a WR, so just because TO doesn't have a "crap load" of rings doesn't mean squat really. How many rings does Fitz have?

Two.. Don't EVER EVER tell anyone again that Micheal Irvin was a "Team Player" first again. He was purely about he money. He would often "brag" that he would get with his agent the day before the Super Bowl and look through his contract to see what he needed to do to get his incentives.

Harrison... you might want to consider his resume' AGAIN before you put him in that catagory. He's just recently been accused of shooting someone, and thats not his first run in with the law.
------------------------------------------------

The point is this. If you have everything in place, you can make a run at the SUper Bowl with or without a talent like TO/Marshall/Ocho...etc. But the chances of you going are a LOT better with them on the team, period. San Fran was glad to get rid of TO, but are they a better team without him? Philly got tired of him after the Super Bowl run, but have they been a BETTER team without him?? Is Dallas really a better team without TO on the roster? Are the Giants better without Plaxico? If we take off our orange-colored glasses, we would admit that our WR corp would look pretty depleted without Marshall opposite of Royal.

So you can say you would "rather have the total package"...because we ALL would, absolutely. But that's not normally the case, is it? The choices are to have (A)the talent mixed with the hijinx, or (B) not to have the talent at all.

Its not a fair comparison to say that you would RATHER have guys like Jerry Rice over T.O. or a Fitzgerald over Marshall, because these players had both the talent and the likable personalities. We would ALLLLL like to have the perfect players. But the choices, in reality, are would you rather have a Marshall or a Glen Martinez? Would you rather have a TO or a Patrick Clayton? Would you rather have Ocho Cinco or Daniel Coats?

Italianmobstr7
08-03-2009, 07:16 PM

No they don't. Neither does Larry Fitz, Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss, TJ Housh, or many other GREAT receivers. You win and lose as a TEAM, not as 1 WR. The fact is Brandon Marshall is a great talent (regardless of off field incidents) and the Broncos are a better team with him than without him. Are you telling me that there are 50 other receivers that deserve to be paid more than Marshall? If you believe that, you're kidding yourself.

Marshall's problems do not just solely occur during celebrations.

I never said that his problems on occur during celebrations. I was pointing out something to someone from a previous post. We all know about the off the field problems. You're beating a dead horse. Marshall has had off field problems but has only missed 1 game because of it. He's been on the field dominating for the others. His play shows that he deserves a new contract, and he deserves one asap. Hopefully he gets that contract in Denver.

Lonestar
08-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Had it not been for the intervention of almost the entire Bronco org. The suspension would have been 3 weeks plus.

So that is a really weak excuse.

horsepig
08-03-2009, 09:28 PM
It's not about celebrations, or anything he's done on the field. The reason he doesn't have a new contract is because his off the field stuff coupled with the fact that he wanted to leave, demanded a trade etc.

Everyone knows he's our best receiver, has all the tools to shatter all Denver WR records. He shows the coaches and his teammates that he's part of the solution he'll get his money.

I wouldn't pay him now either. Everyone on this team has to prove themselves and I like that accountability that McDaniel's is trying to instill.

The point of this thread is that Marshall has already proven his value on the field. The Broncos can literally throw 3 or 4 mil$ at a lost cause like Arrington, but can't give Marshall a measely $1 mil to show good faith and appreciation?

I can't speak for Marshall, but I'm guessing a $1 mil bonus would have gone a real long way to alleviating this problem.

$1 mil isn't that much, just ask Travis Henry or any nymber of other losers like Gardner.

MOtorboat
08-03-2009, 09:43 PM
When he grows up, and isn't injured he will possibly be paid. Until that point in time, he's a tool.

smith49
08-03-2009, 10:06 PM
well, i have to agree with many of you. however, if someone does not understand why marshall has not been extended at this time then someone knows little about leverage,( of which marshall has very little of) and contract nagotiation. he has proven some worth, but he has some serious risks that come with him. so, i commend pat for standing firm and not just throwing money at him, it should pay off in the end.

Northman
08-03-2009, 11:02 PM
No they don't. Neither does Larry Fitz, Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss, TJ Housh, or many other GREAT receivers. You win and lose as a TEAM, not as 1 WR.

Find where i said it only takes a 1 receiver to win a SB and then you might actually have an arguement there. Otherwise you guys are totally missing my point.

[/quote]The fact is Brandon Marshall is a great talent (regardless of off field incidents) and the Broncos are a better team with him than without him. Are you telling me that there are 50 other receivers that deserve to be paid more than Marshall? If you believe that, you're kidding yourself.
[/QUOTE]

Uh no. You cant just shrug off the off the field issues mob. You and Ravage for whatever reason just cant come to grips with the current situation of the NFL policy regarding off the field issues. Does Brandon have the talent like Larry Fitz, Anquan Boldin, TJ Housh? Absolutely, but can you take a guess at what separates those guys from Brandon right now? Dont know? I'll help you. None of those guys have a laundry list of off the field issues that will keep a guy like Brandon Marshall off the field. So, yea. Could Brandon help Denver make the SB? Absolutely. But only if he is ACTUALLY on it when its crunch time instead of serving suspensions for his idiocy off the field. Right now, the risk is too high. Give me anyone of those other guys on that list any day of the week.

Northman
08-03-2009, 11:03 PM
well, i have to agree with many of you. however, if someone does not understand why marshall has not been extended at this time then someone knows little about leverage,( of which marshall has very little of) and contract nagotiation. he has proven some worth, but he has some serious risks that come with him. so, i commend pat for standing firm and not just throwing money at him, it should pay off in the end.

Im glad you actually understand the situation. There are some serious people on here in denial about the entire situation. :lol:

Chris90210
08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
No they don't. Neither does Larry Fitz, Anquan Boldin, Randy Moss, TJ Housh, or many other GREAT receivers. You win and lose as a TEAM, not as 1 WR. The fact is Brandon Marshall is a great talent (regardless of off field incidents) and the Broncos are a better team with him than without him. Are you telling me that there are 50 other receivers that deserve to be paid more than Marshall? If you believe that, you're kidding yourself.

I never said that his problems on occur during celebrations. I was pointing out something to someone from a previous post. We all know about the off the field problems. You're beating a dead horse. Marshall has had off field problems but has only missed 1 game because of it. He's been on the field dominating for the others. His play shows that he deserves a new contract, and he deserves one asap. Hopefully he gets that contract in Denver.

Yes he has been lucky so far with only missing one game. Beating the dead horse or not his past should be considered when looking at his future. Giving him an extension is a gamble and they have to decide if he is worth the risk. Again what point is it to give him a big contract if he does something stupid and sits on the sidelines or jail. He has to prove he is better than his past.

Italianmobstr7
08-04-2009, 12:07 AM
Yes he has been lucky so far with only missing one game. Beating the dead horse or not his past should be considered when looking at his future. Giving him an extension is a gamble and they have to decide if he is worth the risk. Again what point is it to give him a big contract if he does something stupid and sits on the sidelines or jail. He has to prove he is better than his past.

Im glad you actually understand the situation. There are some serious people on here in denial about the entire situation. :lol:

Find where i said it only takes a 1 receiver to win a SB and then you might actually have an arguement there. Otherwise you guys are totally missing my point.

The fact is Brandon Marshall is a great talent (regardless of off field incidents) and the Broncos are a better team with him than without him. Are you telling me that there are 50 other receivers that deserve to be paid more than Marshall? If you believe that, you're kidding yourself.
[/QUOTE]

Uh no. You cant just shrug off the off the field issues mob. You and Ravage for whatever reason just cant come to grips with the current situation of the NFL policy regarding off the field issues. Does Brandon have the talent like Larry Fitz, Anquan Boldin, TJ Housh? Absolutely, but can you take a guess at what separates those guys from Brandon right now? Dont know? I'll help you. None of those guys have a laundry list of off the field issues that will keep a guy like Brandon Marshall off the field. So, yea. Could Brandon help Denver make the SB? Absolutely. But only if he is ACTUALLY on it when its crunch time instead of serving suspensions for his idiocy off the field. Right now, the risk is too high. Give me anyone of those other guys on that list any day of the week.[/QUOTE]

No one is shrugging off his off the field issues. You say things like "only if he is ACTUALLY on it when it's crunch time." He's missed 1 game. 1. Doesn't seem like too big a problem to me. Not saying that it will never be, but as of right now it's not. He's underpaid, he's outperformed his contract and the Broncos are a better team when Brandon Marshall is playing for them.

Northman
08-04-2009, 12:15 AM
He's underpaid, he's outperformed his contract and the Broncos are a better team when Brandon Marshall is playing for them.

So let me ask you this then. If Denver wants to keep Brandon but wants to wait until his trial date is over to be sure he wont miss anymore time. Do you think thats fair to wait to give him the big payday considering he is a high risk player right now at this point and time?

Italianmobstr7
08-04-2009, 03:19 AM
So let me ask you this then. If Denver wants to keep Brandon but wants to wait until his trial date is over to be sure he wont miss anymore time. Do you think thats fair to wait to give him the big payday considering he is a high risk player right now at this point and time?

I do think it's fair to wait until after this next trial. I wouldn't be upset if he got it before then, but it's not likely. I'm not saying he should get the contract now, but he should get it before the season is over.

MOtorboat
08-04-2009, 07:32 AM

I don't know, as an owner, how Bowlen can logically extend a large contract offer to a player who is currently hurt, coming off off-season surgery and still is facing legal trouble. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Italianmobstr7
08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
I don't know, as an owner, how Bowlen can logically extend a large contract offer to a player who is currently hurt, coming off off-season surgery and still is facing legal trouble. It makes absolutely no sense at all.

Yes it does.

2008 104 catches, 1265 yards,12.2 per catch, 6TDs
2007 102 catches, 1325 yards, 13.0 per catch, 7TDs

He's in only his 4th year. He's missed only 1 game because of off field incidents (although some act like he's been suspended an entire season). He's put up great numbers, he commands a double team and he's great after the catch. He was even on a list of "most feared players to tackle" in the leauge.

silkamilkamonico
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
He's certainly underpaid. But at the same time I would rather throw that money at Royal than Marshall and let some other organization deal with his headaches. Guy drops way too many balls and can't get enough separation for my taste.

silkamilkamonico
08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
Yes it does.

He's in only his 4th year. He's missed only 1 game because of off field incidents (although some act like he's been suspended an entire season). He's put up great numbers, he commands a double team and he's great after the catch. He was even on a list of "most feared players to tackle" in the leauge.

Didn't he miss like 8 weeks in his rookie season? He's been nicked up far too much for my liking, he's just lucky it hasn't been in situations during the season, and is a tough guy that can play through it.

Lonestar
08-04-2009, 02:25 PM
Yes it does.

here you go again with the missed only 1 game mantra..

Yes it was one game most on here thought he as going to get 8 then the commissioner gave him three..

after heavy lobbying by the entire FO it went to TWO, by agreeing to go to anger management classes it was reduced to 1..

then 6 months or so later bang he gets arrested again.. not sure what part of this your not getting..

he is and always has been a loose cannon..

he got REALLY lucky last time ans is still looking at a suspension on this deal coming up in mid month..

Now I see you have an absolute man crush on this kid and I can almost understand why he has put up super numbers..

but will he be worth more than 6 million more per year than say Gaffney will be

will Gaffney only make 25 receptions a year? because that is the difference in price.. IF Gaffney is making 2 mil per year..

is he worth 4 times as much consider the next time he is pulled over for violating any law he could get 3-6 games off?

I just do not understand how Y'all can just think we would crumble with out this football god..

will we be better team with him sure but how much better? is he really worth 8-10 per year..

MOtorboat
08-04-2009, 06:17 PM
Yes it does.

When you look at it from the ownership side, though, you have to look at everything. And with the way Goodell is putting down his fist with these off the field incidents, you can't give big money to a guy facing possible suspension, even if he has pro bowl numbers for the last two years. You can't do it. It's not a good, sound investment.

Think about it like an investment. You want to buy a house. You look through the real estate mag you found at the grocery store and see a house you really like. Turns out the house looks fantastic (the stats are great). Former owner manicured the lawn and treated the drive way and deck, it has a basketball hoop for you and the kid, was painted last year, new carpet. Seems like the works. So, you call the agent, go see the house, and it turns out its going to cost you thousands to fix the plumbing, the heat doesn't work on some days and you don't have central air. You probably go on to the next house.

Right now...that's what Brandon Marshall looks like as an investment.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-04-2009, 06:22 PM
For those who have not heard this, yesterday Bowlen talked with Al & Scott, and he addressed Brandon's situation. He makes a lot of sense from the business side.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1121617

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 09:55 PM
For those who have not heard this, yesterday Bowlen talked with Al & Scott, and he addressed Brandon's situation. He makes a lot of sense from the business side.

http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1121617

Either Bowlen's memory has failed him yet again or he is lying, his policy has always been to never negotiate with players who have more than one season remaining on his contract (Clinton Poorti$ for example), now he's saying they have to play out their contract.

Marshall's on-the-field performance has yet to match Terrell Davis' when he was extended, but he is close, so let's not pretend that this is out of character for Pat Bowlen. It's very possible that this is new Head Coach Josh McDaniels' policy and that was Mike Shanahan's policy, but extending with one season remaining is nothing new.

We can take Bowlen's side, there are plenty of reasons to make Marshall wait, but he's flip-flopping on this one.......

slim
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Yes it does.

Dude, if it was your money on the line you would be singing a different tune.

This isn't Monoply money were are talking about. This is big time coin.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 10:35 PM
"Broadway OR Park Place, either or, not both! That's our final offer, Brandon".......

slim
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
In the real world Brandon would be living on Baltic Avenue

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
He sure seems to have a limitless supply of "Get out of jail free" cards.......

MOtorboat
08-05-2009, 10:53 PM
He sure seems to have a limitless supply of "Get out of jail free" cards.......

We will see next Thursday, won't we?

Tned
08-05-2009, 10:58 PM

The game, or is that when his trial is?

MOtorboat
08-05-2009, 10:59 PM
The game, or is that when his trial is?

I would guess, although I'm just a lonesome bystander, that Bowlen is more concerned with the results of his trial than any pre-season game...or even for that matter...a regular season game, at this point.

Whether we all want to admit it or not, I think we all know that Marshall is facing a serious, serious suspension if he is convicted of battery.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 11:00 PM

Let's hope he does, the thought of relying on Jabar Gaffney to be more than Jabar Gaffney for an extended period of time makes me wanna puke.......

MOtorboat
08-05-2009, 11:01 PM
Let's hope he does, the thought of relying on Jabar Gaffney to be more than Jabar Gaffney for an extended period of time makes me wanna puke.......

I'd hope we were relying on Eddie Royal, but that's just me.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 11:10 PM
I'd hope we were relying on Eddie Royal, but that's just me.

And as all intelligent fans know, Eddie Royal can do it all by himself, probably don't even need to suit another WR.......

MOtorboat
08-05-2009, 11:13 PM
And as all intelligent fans know, Eddie Royal can do it all by himself, probably don't even need to suit another WR.......

Now that's a logical statement.

One wide receiver. Good idea.

Tned
08-05-2009, 11:15 PM
I would guess, although I'm just a lonesome bystander, that Bowlen is more concerned with the results of his trial than any pre-season game...or even for that matter...a regular season game, at this point.

Whether we all want to admit it or not, I think we all know that Marshall is facing a serious, serious suspension if he is convicted of battery.

I meant, I'm not sure when the trial is. Is it next week, or when?

slim
08-05-2009, 11:16 PM

As all intelligent fans know, breaking the bank for a woman beating WR with a bad hip is just good business...probably don't even need to sign another WR.

MOtorboat
08-05-2009, 11:16 PM
I meant, I'm not sure when the trial is. Is it next week, or when?

I believe it is a week from tomorrow (Thursday).

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Now that's a logical statement.

One wide receiver. Good idea.

So is relying solely on Eddie Royal.......

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 11:21 PM
As all intelligent fans know, breaking the bank for a woman beating WR with a bad hip is just good business...probably don't even need to sign another WR.

When did I say they should "Break the bank"?.......

Northman
08-06-2009, 06:39 AM
In the real world Brandon would be living on Baltic Avenue

:lol:, oh man. that was priceless. haha

Poet
08-06-2009, 08:52 AM

How is that a valid argument? Chad Johnson plays in Cincinnati which historically sports terrible defenses and lets good players walk and signs bad players. Trust me, Chad Johnson wasn't and isn't the reason why Cincinnati is lacking in the win department.

Northman
08-06-2009, 09:15 AM
How is that a valid argument? Chad Johnson plays in Cincinnati which historically sports terrible defenses and lets good players walk and signs bad players. Trust me, Chad Johnson wasn't and isn't the reason why Cincinnati is lacking in the win department.

Im only going by what has been presented to me. The ones making excuses for Marshall's behavior as justification for paying him big money use guys like Ocho Stinko and TO as examples. Im simply pointing out their short comings and the distractions that they cause to their respective teams. You cant sit there with a straight face and tell me that all of Johnson's theatric's is a good thing for a struggling franchise. No, Johnson is not the only reason why Cincy has issues. However, if they finally did win he wouldnt be the sole reason nor if they finally got the better pieces in place they wouldnt need Johnson so as long as they had a WR who was equally as talented but not a headcase.

Poet
08-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Im only going by what has been presented to me. The ones making excuses for Marshall's behavior as justification for paying him big money use guys like Ocho Stinko and TO as examples. Im simply pointing out their short comings and the distractions that they cause to their respective teams. You cant sit there with a straight face and tell me that all of Johnson's theatric's is a good thing for a struggling franchise. No, Johnson is not the only reason why Cincy has issues. However, if they finally did win he wouldnt be the sole reason nor if they finally got the better pieces in place they wouldnt need Johnson so as long as they had a WR who was equally as talented but not a headcase.

Their examples are off point and utter failures. Johnson had a domestic violence case against him in college (little known or reported fact). Since that time in college his nose has been clean. TO has no criminal history. Marshall on the other hand is much worse than either of those two.

As far as Johnson's theatrics go, yes, for a long time they were good for us. Cincinnati drafted a top tier talent in Carson Palmer, and people cared. But after that died down Cincinnati was turning their franchise around (it failed miserably, but at the time it looked good). Johnson brought publicity, and only until recently it was ALL good publicity. During the years where Cincinnati was a legitimate playoff contending team CJ was a huge part of the reason why. He had to be doubled otherwise he was getting over 100 yards on you. Period. I watched him decimate the AFC North for years. While he had little success against Pittsburgh even they had to double him.

Honestly it's actually kind of sad that people think CJ is an apt comparison to Marshall. Marshall hasn't had the success on the field that CJ has, and Marshall is a much worse human being than CJ is.

This is coming from a guy who wouldn't mind CJ being traded, mind you, so everyone put the homer cards down.

If Cincinnati made the playoffs this year it would not be based soley on CJ. But, if you told me he did not have a productive year then I would tell you that I know we missed the playoffs. WRs are important. All players and all positions are important. Honestly your argument was putrid because you basically implied that CJ and TO were the reasons why they and their teams did not have championships.

pnbronco
08-06-2009, 09:54 AM
So is today Marshall's trial? Does anyone know if it's a trial by judge or jury?

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 11:13 AM
So is today Marshall's trial? Does anyone know if it's a trial by judge or jury?

Next Thursday.

Six-person jury in Atlanta Criminal/Municipal Court.

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 11:15 AM
From the Denver Post article that Carol posted.

Marshall update.

It is becoming increasingly unlikely that wide receiver Brandon Marshall will play in the Broncos' preseason opener Aug. 14 in San Francisco. He has missed the past six training camp workouts with a leg injury that may have been related to his offseason hip surgery.

Marshall is scheduled for trial one week from today in Atlanta on misdemeanor battery charges stemming from a March 4, 2008, incident with Rasheedah Watley, his former girlfriend.

If Marshall goes forward with the scheduled one-day trial, his case will be ruled on by a six-person jury in a state courtroom in Atlanta. Marshall is represented by Denver attorney Harvey Steinberg.

Can someone please explain to me again why he should be getting a big pay day right now?

pnbronco
08-06-2009, 11:19 AM
Next Thursday.

Six-person jury in Atlanta Criminal/Municipal Court.

Thank you very much for the information MB.

MOtorboat
08-06-2009, 11:22 AM
Thank you very much for the information MB.

Atlanta doesn't keep very good online court records. I did try to search for it a little when there was the thought that it might only be a civil matter, but I couldn't find anything. But, according to news reports (the Denver Post in this case), its the State vs. Brandon Marshall.

Northman
08-06-2009, 11:56 AM
Their examples are off point and utter failures. Johnson had a domestic violence case against him in college (little known or reported fact). Since that time in college his nose has been clean. TO has no criminal history. Marshall on the other hand is much worse than either of those two.

As far as Johnson's theatrics go, yes, for a long time they were good for us. Cincinnati drafted a top tier talent in Carson Palmer, and people cared. But after that died down Cincinnati was turning their franchise around (it failed miserably, but at the time it looked good). Johnson brought publicity, and only until recently it was ALL good publicity. During the years where Cincinnati was a legitimate playoff contending team CJ was a huge part of the reason why. He had to be doubled otherwise he was getting over 100 yards on you. Period. I watched him decimate the AFC North for years. While he had little success against Pittsburgh even they had to double him.

Honestly it's actually kind of sad that people think CJ is an apt comparison to Marshall. Marshall hasn't had the success on the field that CJ has, and Marshall is a much worse human being than CJ is.

This is coming from a guy who wouldn't mind CJ being traded, mind you, so everyone put the homer cards down.

If Cincinnati made the playoffs this year it would not be based soley on CJ. But, if you told me he did not have a productive year then I would tell you that I know we missed the playoffs. WRs are important. All players and all positions are important. Honestly your argument was putrid because you basically implied that CJ and TO were the reasons why they and their teams did not have championships.

Well, lets back up a minute. I dont necessarily think that CJ is a horrible human being, same with TO. However, to me a true test of character and leadership is how you handle adversity on your team when things get tough. Cutler didnt handle it well, and TO and CJ dont handle it well either. Its not to say they arent allowed to be frustrated but there have been plenty of great talents in the NFL who dont implode or try to make it more about them than the team. Out of the 3 Marshall is the worst because his acts are criminal. But your not really going to be able to convince me to want CJ over another talented WR who is equally as good but not such a clown. Maybe my age is showing but i just dont see the need for all the over the top stuff. Im more about winning Super Bowls than players stats i guess. I think if CJ reeled himself in a bit and continued to play well he would be a better man and athlete for it. IMO

Italianmobstr7
08-08-2009, 08:10 PM
With Roddy White getting a contract extension it may lay the groundwork for Marshall getting paid too (as long as he's not suspended). I hope this guys a Bronco for a long time and keeps his nose clean from here on out.

MOtorboat
08-08-2009, 08:17 PM
With Roddy White getting a contract extension it may lay the groundwork for Marshall getting paid too (as long as he's not suspended). I hope this guys a Bronco for a long time and keeps his nose clean from here on out.

There are way too many issues with Brandon Marshall for him to get paid at this time. It could lay the framework for the type of contract he could get, but it certainlty won't be any time soon, nor should it be.

TXBRONC
08-08-2009, 10:26 PM

It may eventually lay the ground work but he's going have to get the trial and any residual issue with Goodell resolved first.

LordTrychon
08-08-2009, 11:30 PM
I agree that at this point it will be a while before Marshall gets a contract offer again... midseason at the very earliest probably...

I still believe it should have been handled before now... but that's moot, as many things re: this offseason are.

Lonestar
08-08-2009, 11:46 PM
I heard something today that might explain what is going on and why getting Moreno signed was tough..

They were talking about all the ramifications of new contracts with incentives going into a un capped season..

the league has been cracking down on TEAMS and AGENTS trying to skirt the salary cap and NFL rules by putting in provisions to do so.. While it is an un capped period coming up they also have to provide for a cap coming back in the future..

They commented that some of these contracts with all the incentives and such are 30-36 pages long..

You all know that mike Etal skirted the cap with John and we got slapped with it.. so if we can get cute there are 31 other team out there trying to do the same things..

Lonestar
08-09-2009, 07:06 PM
has anyone heard anything on BM and his injury status?

MOtorboat
08-09-2009, 07:36 PM

I'm more concerned with his criminal status...

Lonestar
08-09-2009, 07:38 PM
I'm more concerned with his criminal status...

well I have heard ham string and I have heard the same hip as the one he injured and repaired last year..

was just trying to figure out which on while they are both potentially really bad his court time is also a HUGE sword over his out stretched neck..

Tned
08-09-2009, 08:07 PM

McDaniels won't discusss player's injury status. He did say that Marshall is attending meetings and not falling behind.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-09-2009, 08:24 PM
After the next court date, pay him. Give him it all.