PDA

View Full Version : Orton latest QB to try to escape Elway's shadow

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2009, 12:10 PM
http://www.9news.com/sports/pro_football/nfl/denver_broncos/article.aspx?storyid=120574&catid=72

ENGLEWOOD (AP) - Gone from Dove Valley are the famous fastballs that left Broncos receivers with bruised hands and disjointed fingers. Absent, too, is the petulant personality that magnified the stress levels both in the huddle and the locker room.

Kyle Orton brings less heat than Jay Cutler did - both on the football field and off.

In the NFL's biggest trade this offseason, the Denver Broncos shipped the cannon-armed Cutler, their Pro Bowl passer and infamous pouter, to the Chicago Bears for even-tempered Orton, who's 21-12 as a starter in four NFL seasons.

Cutler, whose relationship with the Broncos crumbled after Mike Shanahan was fired, gives the Bears their first franchise quarterback since Sid Luckman was calling signals in the 1940s.

Orton gives the Broncos the efficient, brainy signal-caller that new coach Josh McDaniels favors to run his complicated offense, one that requires pinpoint passing and precision reads more than a rocket arm.

Orton spent his first three months in Denver cramming his new playbook and battling Chris Simms for the starting job. McDaniels, who helped Tom Brady and Matt Cassel thrive in New England, named him the starter last month.

Even though Orton enters training camp as the starting quarterback for the first time since his days at Purdue, he's not taking his role for granted, a seemingly wise choice after what McDaniels said this week:

"We're going to evaluate the quarterbacks just like we do every other position. If Chris is the most effective quarterback in our system by September, then he'll start," McDaniels said.

Orton said very little is different for him coming into camp as the No. 1 guy, save for being a bit more vocal than usual.

"Obviously, leadership-wise, it sets up at the forefront a little bit more and just making sure as a unit we're running smoothly," he said. "But I just go about my business and try to improve every day. Really, that's the goal."

Simms insisted he's not bothered by getting fewer snaps than Orton.

"It's not going to affect the way I do anything because it's a long camp, a long preseason and Coach McDaniels has made it apparent that every job's open and I believe him," Simms said.

Simms has started 16 games in six seasons, but he's thrown just two passes since undergoing emergency surgery to remove his spleen after a game in 2006. He signed a two-year, $6 million deal originally to back up Cutler, but now finds himself behind Orton, who will make about $1 million this season in the final year of his contract.

Orton and Simms are now in the bulls-eye of a quarterback-crazed city where nobody has been able to emulate even a sliver of the success John Elway enjoyed during his Hall of Fame career that ended a decade ago.

Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, Jake Plummer and Cutler combined for one playoff win (Plummer's) since Elway capped his stellar career with back-to-back Super Bowl wins.

Cutler seemed to have the best shot, although his leadership traits weren't as honed as his football skills. At times, he lost focus on the field when one of his teammates made a mistake, and he could really hold a grudge like the one he had with kicker Matt Prater for missing a short field goal during a game late last season.

Still, the Broncos touted the enormously talented Cutler as the post-Elway cornerstone of their quest to return to championship contention, and he was coming off his first 4,000-yard season and first Pro Bowl appearance when things went sour in Denver.

Cutler and his agent, Bus Cook, believed the Broncos shopped Cutler when free agency began. McDaniels said the team simply listened to a trade proposal that would have sent Cassel to Denver and Cutler to Tampa Bay in a three-way deal with the Patriots.

Either way, it was the beginning of the end, and Cutler left town a month later without having come close to escaping Elway's long shadow.

Now it's Orton's turn. And maybe Simms will get his shot, too.

"There are so many shadows in Denver. There's Elway's shadow. There's Cutler's shadow," Simms said, chuckling. "So, we shouldn't get a sunburn in camp, should we?"

Shazam!
08-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Orton has to deal with the pressure of his predecessor all the time, moreso than Elway.

Just play well and everything else will fall into place.

Nomad
08-02-2009, 12:40 PM
People need to move on from Elway. Anyway, Orton has no pressure because people have already said he is going to fail at being the BRONCOS starting QB. I have faith in the guy and look forward to watching him this season!!

Simple Jaded
08-02-2009, 01:14 PM
Orton needs to escape Brian Griese's shadow first.......

topscribe
08-02-2009, 01:36 PM
I believe Elway's shadow has disappeared, and now he is just part of the
Broncos' legacy (although a bigger part than anything else.) Cutler seemed to
take care of that. The argument of late has been Cutler vs. Orton, and that
would seem to present far less pressure on Orton since Cutler has yet really to
do anything in the league . . .

-----

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2009, 01:55 PM

-----

Locally, within the press and tv sports reporters, there is still talk of Elway, Bronco QBs being compared to him, etc. But, of course, this year I am sure the comparison will be Orton/Cutler, whether it is on field skills, personality, moods, how situations are/were handled, etc.

topscribe
08-02-2009, 01:56 PM
Locally, within the press and tv sports reporters, there is still talk of Elway, Bronco QBs being compared to him, etc. But, of course, this year I am sure the comparison will be Orton/Cutler, whether it is on field skills, personality, moods, how situations are/were handled, etc.

I guess I should have said "faded," rather than "disappeared." :nod:

-----

UnderArmour
08-02-2009, 02:18 PM
It's all good. Orton will be John Elway+Tom Brady by the end of his career. Championship.

girler
08-02-2009, 04:29 PM
"There are so many shadows in Denver. There's Elway's shadow. There's Cutler's shadow," Simms said, chuckling. "So, we shouldn't get a sunburn in camp, should we?"

This part is my favorite. :laugh:

atwater27
08-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Orton needs to escape Brian Griese's shadow first.......

LMMFAO!!!
:beer:

BroncoWave
08-02-2009, 05:27 PM
Any Denver fan still trying to put pressure on Orton using Elway's shadow is a moron, plain and simple.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2009, 05:48 PM
Any Denver fan still trying to put pressure on Orton using Elway's shadow is a moron, plain and simple.

It's not the fans, it's the media

Hobe
08-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Frankly the "Elway shadow" is more of a media thing, than a Broncos fan thing. It give the sports babblers something to fill up all those hours of air time and all the blogs. I'm sure the media will spend most of the time they spend on the Broncos comparing Ortan and Cutler.

SO SHALLOW! :tsk:

There is so much going on in the Broncos camp! How about the defense transition? The o-line could be the best in the league this year! Will Champ be dominant again? Could Royal start a trend to the smaller, quicker receiver?

The team is in camp and they are finally getting ready for the new season. We can start to see what this years Broncos are really going to be like.

Dirk
08-03-2009, 06:55 AM
As long as Orton goes into the season thinking of it being "his" time and not trying to outdo Cutler or even Elway, he should be just fine.

I am sure that he knows he is NO ELWAY...and he doesn't have the arm strength of Cutler. He just needs to play Orton Ball and he will do just fine.

Win the games and create his own success and he will begin his own legacy in Denver.

**note** I give Orton a pass this year due to all the changes. I hope that everyone else can also, because the Broncos will be dominate in 2010.

bronc kid
08-03-2009, 10:33 AM
As long as Orton goes into the season thinking of it being "his" time and not trying to outdo Cutler or even Elway, he should be just fine.

I am sure that he knows he is NO ELWAY...and he doesn't have the arm strength of Cutler. He just needs to play Orton Ball and he will do just fine.

Win the games and create his own success and he will begin his own legacy in Denver.

**note** I give Orton a pass this year due to all the changes. I hope that everyone else can also, because the Broncos will be dominate in 2010.

i have to agree orton is in no way shape or form anything like elway and cutler he isnt the big play maker that elway or cutler were

but still he is the precise accurate smart qb that doesnt make so many mistakes like cutler

and i think he is going to be our qb of the future he is really what we need so we dont put out our defense that could really use a little extra time to get on their feet

Northman
08-03-2009, 10:39 AM

-----

I agree. If anything Brian and Jake took more heat than Jay and now Kyle. People dont expect much from Kyle as it is so he really has no pressure on him the way i look at it. If he fails people will just say i told you so. If he does well than thats just a bonus and hopefully we are winning at that point. :coffee:

muse
08-03-2009, 07:38 PM
Of course, Orton will always have to deal with comparisons to Cutler. However, if KO does surprise the vast majority of NFL fans by actually being good and entrenches himself as a long term starter, I think he'll put out decent numbers and he's got a shot at the Elway/Plummer/Cutler 4,000 yard club because - as it stands - he's got an outstanding performing cast. It's going to be a while before Cutler has anything like the cast that Orton has, plus we don't know how much Turner's system will handcuff him. Obviously, Jay will be able to make a lot happen regardless (despite only having one proven target and plenty of adverse weather in the NFC North), but a lot of that will have to be mostly on his own.

It's interesting to hear a lot of knives coming out from various sources since the trade. A few quotes from the defensive guys (Champ in particular) and a couple from the offensive (like my boy Nate Jackson - possibly sour grapes, but it seems a bit out of character from the guy) are not a good sign for the guy. I followed the official line during the season/first part of the offseason (that Cutler had a good rapport with his offensive unit and was a decent leader on the field) - although that was probably wishful thinking or wanting to believe. It doesn't surprise me that the few D players from last year who are left aren't very happy with him. I know that come the Bears preseason game Champ's going to begging Nolan for a CB blitz.

Simple Jaded
08-05-2009, 09:24 PM
Josh McDaniels gets 100% of the credit for the Patriots QB/offensive success, and Kyle Orton gets 100% of the credit for that magical 7-game run he had in 08, so why should it take a moron to expect that Orton live up to Elway's legacy?

Every other Broncos QB has had live up to Broncos fans impossible expectations, even John Elway himself, so why should Orton be any different?

Broncos fans shouldn't expect much from such an ordinary player, I think we know that, however, that won't last long.......not with the annually ridiculous hype of Training Camp that is about to over-power common sense any day now.......

Reidman
08-06-2009, 02:31 AM
The more I hear about QB's in Elway's shadow, the more I have to laugh...

Elway is a Denver icon, much like Jordan to the city of Chicago. No matter how any SB's any other QB may win for us, he did it first and solidified his place in history and in our hearts.

Elway is the past though, so there really is no "shadow" to escape. Like some have said, few give Orton a chance (myself included), so why would he be in Elway's shadow?

I'm more concerned about him escaping Cutler's shadow this season...