PDA

View Full Version : Initial Impressions

Lonestar
08-02-2009, 12:22 AM
Broncos TVBroncos TV takes a look at the second day of training camp.

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- It's only day two of season two for Peyton Hillis.

It's only been a handful of training camp practices, but the versatile fullback is already making a name for himself out on the practice field.

"He has done some really positive things," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Peyton is a very valuable player. (He is) versatile and creates some matchup problems for defenses if we can use him right."

Fresh off a rookie campaign in which he averaged five yards per carry and tied for the team lead with six touchdowns, the second-year back has showcased his skill set during the team's first three practices.

He's lined up at fullback in two-back offensive sets. He's been given a host of carries with the first unit out of one-back sets. He's demonstrated his ability to be a receiving threat out of the backfield.

And clearly, he's proven he can deliver a hit. Just ask teammate Tim Crowder.

During an early round of full-speed, full-contact one-on-one drills on Saturday afternoon, Hillis was matched up with Crowder. He proceeded to run right into the 6-foot-4 outside linebacker/defensive end, causing for a thunderous collision. Crowder brought Hillis to the ground on the play, but he needed a few moments to gather himself after Hillis' jolting hit.

In his college days, the former Arkansas Razorback said he would have had little remorse for Crowder, a former Texas Longhorn. But now, the circumstances have changed.

"You've always got to apologize and say you're sorry because he is one of your teammates, and he's going to help you win," Hillis said.

Hillis said he hopes to continue to showcase his physicality and toughness to the coaching staff throughout camp.

"I think everybody tends to shy away from (hitting) as much as they can, but when it comes down to it you're just a certain kind of person," Hillis said. "And that certain type of person for me is to just be physical."

Hillis said he isn't quite sure what his final role will be in McDaniels' offensive system, but the multi-dimensional back is prepared to take advantage of every rep he takes during camp. He plans on making his mark in blocking and pass protection situations, as well as in the receiving game.

He didn't deny his desire to see an extended role carrying the ball, but he also conceded that being a complete player is first and foremost.

"Everybody likes to carry the ball," he said. "The center likes carrying the ball. It's just how it is. But this game is not just about carrying the ball … The longer I want to stay here, the more versatile I have to be."

TRIO RETURNS

After missing the team's first two practices, Champ Bailey, Renaldo Hill and Marcus Thomas all made their training camp debuts on Saturday.

Frustrated that he wasn't on the field on Friday, Bailey was more than pleased to be back in the thick of football-related activities.

"One thing I want to do is always practice," Bailey said. "I don't want to just be a guy off to the side. I've had my share of days doing that. I want to be out here practicing."

From an individual standpoint, Bailey used his first training camp session at Dove Valley to get back into football shape. In the huddle, he also had another assignment.

"I haven't been on a team with this much turnover, so I'm still getting to know everybody," Bailey said. "That's a good thing about being back out here. I can get to know these guys on the field."

After a day of conditioning, Thomas was also happy to be roaming the field with his teammates. He used his first day of camp to find his groove on the defensive line.

Thomas admitted that he felt tired after today's session, but it was a welcome feeling after his absence from Friday's session.

"I was out there looking from the windows, trying to watch everybody," Thomas said. "I wanted to be out there real bad. Now I'm out here, so I've just got to take it from here."

READY TO GO

Bailey wasted little time making his presence known. Thrust into the spotlight, the 11- year veteran made sure to show his teammates -- and the host of fans surrounding the playing field -- that he was back at the forefront of the team's secondary. During 11-on-11 drills, Bailey was matched up in coverage with Brandon Marshall. On one play, Marshall appeared to have Bailey beaten downfield, prompting Kyle Orton to throw Marshall a deep strike toward the end zone.

However, the eight-time Pro Bowler quickly recovered and broke up the play, drawing a strong reaction from the surrounding enthusiasts.

Bailey said he tried to bait Orton into thinking Marshall was open on that play -- a plan that worked to perfection.

"I saw (Orton) looking and looking and waiting for everybody to clear," Bailey said. "I don't think he saw me or he thought he could make it. So I just made him throw that ball, and he did."

McDaniels said it was comforting to know that No. 24 was back in the fold on the left side of the defense.

"He challenged the receivers today and was very aggressive," he said. "You can feel his impact when he is out there on the field."

For more on Day 2 of training camp, check out the Broncos TV feature here, or watch above. For pictures of the day, check out the photo gallery here. The team will be back on the field for two sessions tomorrow at 8:45 a.m. and 4:45 p.m. MDT.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9187