PDA

View Full Version : Is Champ still tops? Who is the best player on the Broncos?

Tned
08-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Who is the best player on the broncos? Why do you think so?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-01-2009, 10:31 PM
I voted for Champ - I still feel he is a great player, and I believe he is definitely a great leader.

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Fast Eddie and that was a tough choice over a couple of others Champ great player and example and Dawkins damned fine player and inspirational leader on the field and locker room....

I think he has more long term potential than anyone else on the team..

he had almost a hundred catches on FAR fewer attempts to him 91-129 than BM..104-181.. almost the same YAC 359-439..

sorry but he is the best WR we have or will have in two years..

Tned
08-01-2009, 10:38 PM
I went with Clady, based on this line of reasoning. Based on what we saw last year, Clady could be one of the best, if not the best, LT in the game very soon, if not now.

Marshall, is by far the best WR on the team, but he is probably somewhere between 4-10 in the league right now.

Champ was the best CB in the league at one point, but now he is top 5, maybe top 3, but probably has no chance to be the 'best' in the league.

So, since it is impossible to compare a WR to a CB to a LT heads up, I can only look at where they are likely to rank in the NFL this season, and I think Clady has the best chance to be among the best at his position (but Marshall is a close second, but I don't think he has a chance at being 'the best', where Clady could be).

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 10:43 PM
I went with Clady, based on this line of reasoning. Based on what we saw last year, Clady could be one of the best, if not the best, LT in the game very soon, if not now.

Marshall, is by far the best WR on the team, but he is probably somewhere between 4-10 in the league right now.

Champ was the best CB in the league at one point, but now he is top 5, maybe top 3, but probably has no chance to be the 'best' in the league.

So, since it is impossible to compare a WR to a CB to a LT heads up, I can only look at where they are likely to rank in the NFL this season, and I think Clady has the best chance to be among the best at his position (but Marshall is a close second, but I don't think he has a chance at being 'the best', where Clady could be).

FWIW Kuper as a rookie playing ORG had zero sacks on him.. that is nothing to sneeze at.. Clady is a damned good OLT and fare exceeded my thoughts on him..

Lets just hope all these "rookies" do not have a sophomore slump like many do..

this team is young and Josh bringing in some older players was VERY wise thing to do..

Tned
08-01-2009, 10:46 PM
27 of the 80 players on the roster are rookies, not to mention a lot of second year players.

Tned
08-01-2009, 10:50 PM
Jay Cutler.

Check out http://www.Bearsforums.com to vote for him.

Northman
08-01-2009, 10:54 PM
Too hard to say. There's a lot of players who are either too young and havent done enough, some that havent played yet, and some who are aging with their best years behind them. But i would have to agree at face value with Tned that Clady would be the guy right at this moment.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-01-2009, 11:44 PM
Hated to do it, but I have to go w/ BM. As far as overall talent level is concerned, he and Clady are interchangeable at 1 and 2. Brandon has done if for 3 years now. Clady can pass him w/ time. Regardless of the off the field stuff, which I hate, BM is a S-T-U-D. Champ is still a stud, but there is a new #1.

topscribe
08-01-2009, 11:51 PM
This just goes to show the Broncos have more stars and playmakers than people
think. I went with Champ, but Clady, Marshall, or Fast Eddie might be right.
After Ayers and Moreno join the team, it just could be one of them.

While I wouldn't vote for Hillis, Dawkins, or Graham over them, they still aren't
far behind, IMO.

-----

Lonestar
08-02-2009, 12:15 AM
This just goes to show the Broncos have more stars and playmakers than people
think. I went with Champ, but Clady, Marshall, or Fast Eddie might be right.
After Ayers and Moreno join the team, it just could be one of them.

While I wouldn't vote for Hillis, Dawkins, or Graham over them, they still aren't
far behind, IMO.

-----

had Hillis not hurt himself last year their is little doubt in my mind he would have been MVP on the team.. and we would have won a few more games..

When he was in the game it was a much better team..

Shazam!
08-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Clady and Champ.

It's just too hard for me to vote for Clady, a 2nd year player as the best yet, despite playing at his level and seeing if he even improved from last year.

I think it's Champ, who is still IMO the premier CB in the League, even though he was being banged up on the worst defense in the NFL. That, playing so far back in Solwik's moronic scheme and being the best tackler on a garbage defense still soldifies him even more.

I believe we'll see a rejuvenated Bailey of old in 2009 and Nolan will work with him much better.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-02-2009, 12:59 AM
Ah, the debate sparred elsewhere comes here. Well, it isn't Champ Bailey -- and hasn't been Champ Bailey for a while.

Tned
08-02-2009, 01:02 AM
Ah, the debate sparred elsewhere comes here. Well, it isn't Champ Bailey -- and hasn't been Champ Bailey for a while.

Who is?

topscribe
08-02-2009, 01:09 AM

From somewhere else??

*Bite...your...lip...Top...*

-----

Requiem / The Dagda
08-02-2009, 01:16 AM
It comes down to three players: Clady, Marshall and Eddie.

Ryan Clady has the ability to be the pinnacle of his position at his second year in the NFL. What he did last year was beyond amazing, especially given the number of times Jay dropped back to pass. Ryan could have given up 7-9 sacks out of 600 drops and it would have been reasonable, but he allowed what -- a half sack? Just phenomenal. He is an unreal talent and I'm glad he proved all the naysayers who were bashing him as a selection wrong.

Then comes Brandon. Marshall has broken many records for the Broncos and actual NFL records given his short time with the club. He's an absolute mismatch for any defensive back on the field and is one of the top receivers in the game. He demands elite coverage, and almost always has a safety rolled in his direction. League-wide, he is a top twenty player.

Eddie is a high ranked player as well. I think his value in the system is higher than Marshall's given his ability to line-up multiple places and perform well; furthermore his break off the line and his route running ability. Considering his special teams ability as well, I factor him up highly. Football savvy guys like him are hard to come by. He's truly a student of the game and already a leader on this team.

Those three, and I think it'll continue to be those for a while. I'm hoping Knowshon can become a part of that list, but it's far too early to say. He's easily one of the most talented players on the list, but until he plays a real down -- all it is is talent and potential.

rcsodak
08-02-2009, 02:05 AM
I think there's easily a difference between naming 'the best player on the roster', vs naming 'the biggest player maker on the roster'.

First person off the list, is Clady. I don't see him winning any games.
Anybody on the Oline/Dline are off. Because right now, denver doesn't have a Julius Peppers, or A Ware, or a J Allen, et al.

Bmarsh and Royal are both still there, but when you look at their TD production, they aren't in the same class of older players like Moss or TO. Catching 100 balls is nice, but as in debunking the #2 offense BS, SCORING is still the wanted result.

I would pick Champ. STILL! When healthy, which can be said for EVERY player in the league, he can/does shut down the #1 wr. And can/does stop plays and even score an occasional TD.

Until somebody shows me they can take the team onto their shoulders and carry it to victory.....

.....it's Champ.

Shazam!
08-02-2009, 02:29 AM
Not since John Elway or Terrell Davis did the Broncos have a player at any position who is considered or could be considered the best in the League at that respective position.

Champ is still that guy. Period.