PDA

View Full Version : NFL gets serious about fan conduct

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2012, 07:52 PM
The NFL is getting more serious about conduct in the stands.

This year, its teams are requiring any fan who gets ejected from a stadium to take a four-hour online course before they are permitted to come back into the facility again.

The course, designed by psychotherapist Dr. Ari Novick in tandem with the MetLife Stadium security director Daniel DeLorenzi, focuses on alcohol abuse, anger management and crude behavior. A handful of teams have used the course over the past couple seasons, but this summer, as part of a review of their best practices, every team decided to enforce the course on offending fans this season.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8278886/nfl-require-ejected-fans-take-online-fan-conduct-course

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2012, 07:57 PM
From article:

Novick said when fans get ejected from a game this year, they will be sent a letter that encourages them to apologize to the team and complete the course. If they fail to meet the requirement, and they are caught on stadium property, they are told they could be arrested for trespassing.

Not only do fans have to take the course if they want to come back to the stadium, they have to pay for it, too. Costs vary by team. The Detroit Lions and the Atlanta Falcons charge the least at $50, while the New England Patriots charge a league-high $100. When a fan completes the course, Novick's company forwards that information to the club.

This could be a real problem for those selling their tickets to someone else, if it is that someone else who gets ejected.

MOtorboat
08-17-2012, 08:08 PM
So...expect to get carded before going into the game?

How in the world do they police this when you have 80,000 people entering a stadium?

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2012, 08:24 PM

How in the world do they police this when you have 80,000 people entering a stadium?

Not sure, if whoever is ejected is sitting in the seat of a season ticket holder, would they ask for an id or what?

JPPT1974
08-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Hopefully things will change for the nice fans that are there and to toss out the not so nice fans so that others will enjoy the game.

sneakers
08-17-2012, 09:43 PM
I would just give them the choice to stick around and clean up the stadium after the game is over or have to take the course.

Nomad
08-17-2012, 10:01 PM
I thought a ticket gives a fan the right to get drunk & belligerent. :drinking: :lol:

Davii
08-17-2012, 10:19 PM

They will only know if that person causes trouble again. You gt booted your name goes on "the list", if you get in trouble at the stadium again they will check this list and instead of being ejected you will be arrested for trespassing.

underrated29
08-17-2012, 11:27 PM
Whoever put this test together is going to be a MILLIONAIRE!!! Do you know how many raider fans are going to have to pay to take this stupid test. OMG $$$$$

Dayumn, I should have been a psychologist so I could put this test together. SOB

Chef Zambini
08-18-2012, 12:45 AM
likely the offending fans have to produce an I.D. not a seat number.
also, it is likely a PHOTO is taken of the offender and posted for review should there be a further infraction.
I think they should make it easy to identify the first time offenders by either putting a tatoo on their forehead or cutting off their left thumb, a policy like that would significantly reduce first time offenders.
Test/
throw them in the bears den with a grizzley, there;s a first hand course on anger management !

Dean
08-18-2012, 10:16 AM
Being drunk and belligerent are both requirements to get into raider games. Appropriate dress is also suggested.

rationalfan
08-18-2012, 04:19 PM

Just a guess, but I believe each ticket has a bar code that's scanned as you enter. If the code triggers a link to an account owned by the offending fan they're denied entry.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Just a guess, but I believe each ticket has a bar code that's scanned as you enter. If the code triggers a link to an account owned by the offending fan they're denied entry.

That was my point before - if a person sells/gives their ticket to someone else for a game, and that someone else is ejected, it comes back to the person who owns the ticket - then what? The account holder could plead their case that they were not the one using the ticket, but that would be very hard to prove, unless, when the fan is ejected, they then scan the bar code, and ask for an id to see who actually was using the ticket - the account holder or someone else.

Superchop 7
08-18-2012, 07:43 PM
There are cops at the game.....I'm sure they will find out the identity.

Great idea....we need to get rid of idiots.....there is always a few in each section.

Tned
08-18-2012, 09:02 PM
I get it to a degree, but I wonder if they go to far. It's gotten to the point that fans standing up to long, or cheering to loud can get told off by an usher. I'm just not sure that the games have to be quite as G rated and tame as the NFL is shooting for.

Dzone
08-19-2012, 01:47 AM
This made me think of the Rockies banning fans from putting paper bags over their heads as protest to the pathetic product on the field. Eventually you will not be allowed to boo. If you cheer for the visiting team, you could get banned for being an instigator

weazel
08-19-2012, 12:22 PM
lmao they can't control the players and they want to police the fans? the last thing this league needs to worry about is how its fans act. This is just another case of where they need to be looking in the mirror before pointing fingers at anyone else.

They have players committing murder, rape and selling drugs but hey, lets police that fan that is being a little loud and drank a couple more beer than he should have. This just reeks...

Chef Zambini
08-19-2012, 02:23 PM
lmao they can't control the players and they want to police the fans? the last thing this league needs to worry about is how its fans act. This is just another case of where they need to be looking in the mirror before pointing fingers at anyone else.

They have players committing murder, rape and selling drugs but hey, lets police that fan that is being a little loud and drank a couple more beer than he should have. This just reeks...refreshing pesrspective !
I can just see ray lewis doing a PS announcement about fan behavior.

Nomad
08-19-2012, 02:27 PM
Ban all alcohol and give a breathalyzer before entering the game! :balloons:

Chef Zambini
08-19-2012, 02:28 PM
just like they have a family friendly area for fans, ( a no drink zone) they should also have a designated area for the most 'boistrous" fans to cheer inincumbered!
i dont know what they would call it in other stadiums, but at mile high, its called, 'the south stands".

Simple Jaded
08-19-2012, 04:09 PM
Fans these days are so F'n PC, polyanna and thin-skinned that it is in the NFL's best interest to at least make an effort to show that they are sensitive to the plight of the poor, whiny little wine-sipper who has been accosted by one too many F-bombs.

It's not the programs that teams put into effect to control drunk and belligerent fans that is the problem, it's the candyasses that abuse the programs.......

LTC Pain
08-19-2012, 04:25 PM
Part of the training for unruly fans should be the requirement to read 100 of Hot Carls' forum posts! That will straighten anybody out.

Dzone
08-19-2012, 05:50 PM
At least Half of the Oakland Raider crowd should be banned especially if they dress as an ashole

Chef Zambini
08-20-2012, 12:34 PM
Fans these days are so F'n PC, polyanna and thin-skinned that it is in the NFL's best interest to at least make an effort to show that they are sensitive to the plight of the poor, whiny little wine-sipper who has been accosted by one too many F-bombs.

It's not the programs that teams put into effect to control drunk and belligerent fans that is the problem, it's the candyasses that abuse the programs.......if you are offended by an F=bomb, you got no buisness attending an NFL game.

Mike
08-20-2012, 01:01 PM
Yeah, not a big fan of this direction....and I don't drink often or much. To be blunt, screw this policy. Further solidifies my desire to not go to games anymore. If a person wants to get saucy and overdoes it, then toss him...that is his punishment. But the rest of this is just lame.

What can cause you to get kicked out of games? What kind of evidence is needed to get you kicked out of games?

NightTerror218
08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
I would assume that when ejected they get your name and photo. And with circulating photos and the use of phones you compare people to photos and ask for IDs.

CoachChaz
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
if you are offended by an F=bomb, you got no buisness attending an NFL game.

Yeah, but it apparently interrupts with teh "family event" that the NFL likes to bullshit in it's marketing

Nomad
08-20-2012, 02:29 PM
if you are offended by an F=bomb, you got no buisness attending an NFL game.

Regardless if you are a family man or not, if you have watched a football game, the F=bomb has come out before and the kids were probably around. I'm guilty especially when you have a few beers.

Simple Jaded
08-20-2012, 06:49 PM
I've been reprimanded by ushers for standing in the 4th of a close game while the D was on the field, the usher was absolutely apologetic because he knew it was F'n bullshit. I have a buddy whose been turned in because he used the F-bomb and Tim Tebow's name in the same sentence.

The stadium on gameday is a microcosm of society, it's full of all kinds and that includes a lot of chickenshit, bed-wetters who abuse their rights because they are afraid that a few colorful words are going to turn their little demon seed into a serial killer.......

sneakers
08-21-2012, 05:30 AM
Yeah, but it apparently interrupts with teh "family event" that the NFL likes to bullshit in it's marketing

They pretty much stopped being a family even when it started costing a family of 4, $1000 to go to a game.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-21-2012, 02:03 PM
There were 53 people arrested at Mile High during the eight Denver Broncos home games of the 2011-12 season season, according to police records.

The offenses ran the gamut, from public urination and fighting to concealed weapons.

From Aug. 20, 2011 to Jan. 8, 2012, Denver police made 13 arrests for assault, three arrests for urinating in public, eight arrests for ticket scalping and six arrests from public indecency and disturbing the peace.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/breakingnews/ci_21363268/assaults-top-all-arrests-made-at-mile-high

weazel
08-21-2012, 03:55 PM
public urination... in the stands? thats what they do at soccer games in Europe.

Mike
08-21-2012, 04:22 PM
public urination... in the stands? thats what they do at soccer games in Europe.

Have you seen the lines to the bathroom at the stadium?

Ravage!!!
08-21-2012, 04:41 PM

I doubt it was in the stands. Could have been in the parking lot during tailgating.