PDA

View Full Version : Jarvis Moss absent from camp, contemplating retirement.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Wimp. (http://community.kdvr.com/_Sources-Broncos-Moss-Approaches-Team-Thinking-About-Retirement/BLOG/489177/96399.html?widgetId=216686)

sneakers
08-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Dream is Back!!!!!!!

broncofaninfla
08-01-2009, 05:24 PM
Amazing....

sneakers
08-01-2009, 05:27 PM
If I were him, I would milk that contract as much as possible to secure my future.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Dream is Back!!!!!!!

I guess, this board seems dead. Meet me and Asian Sushi at the Orange Mane.

Tned
08-01-2009, 05:39 PM
I guess, this board seems dead. Meet me and Asian Sushi at the Orange Mane.

Sounds good, maybe you should head back over there and not bother with this boring board ;)

LRtagger
08-01-2009, 05:46 PM
OH NO! Our 3rd string OLB that Shanny busted on is thinking about quitting???????

Magnificent Seven
08-01-2009, 06:05 PM
Article is probably fake

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 06:06 PM
Article is probably fake

It's been confirmed that Moss wasn't at practice today. I'm doubting it's fake.

T.K.O.
08-01-2009, 06:13 PM
maybe we should give him a shot at rb ?
we sure could have used a couple more last year.....:D
he was the 17th overall pick cant we get al davis to give us a 2 and a 3 next year ? then he could give jarvis a 32 mil signing bonus and he could retire in style

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 06:16 PM
maybe we should give him a shot at rb ?
we sure could have used a couple more last year.....:D

Haha, yeah. Someone just posted some of Moss' quotes proir to training camp about how he wanted to prove to the coaches he was worth his selection and now this happens? Good grief. The writing was already on the wall for his departure when Ayers was drafted. Hopefully he saved some of his signing bonus and past earnings up!

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 06:23 PM
Just why does this not surprise me Dove Valley Country Club closed and now we have Dove Valley changed into what it's supposed to be a Proffesional Football Practice area.

Perhaps he figured that having to be phyiscal and tackling is now a mandatory job function, he was no longer be getting. Free ride.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Could be part of it, but what I see is an inexperienced athlete (I won't call him football player) who was able to get by at the collegiate level when he played because of sheer athleticism and benefited from the enormous talent around him on his Gator football teams. He came out early (he'd of been 24 had he waited) and was extremely raw; and that's at defensive end. The defensive line coaches prior didn't help his abilities, he missed significant time with injury and really went by the wayside. Factor in a new coaching staff, new defensive coordinator and a whole new position with the aforementioned and it isn't hard to figure out why Moss is considering this.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there is some stuff going on in his personal life, but who knows. What a waste of a draft pick (picks actually, an extra three and five) -- perhaps he thought retirement was better than being deemed a loser via cut. Wonder how it'll play out.

Watchthemiddle
08-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Just why does this not surprise me Dove Valley Country Club closed and now we have Dove Valley changed into what it's supposed to be a Proffesional Football Practice area.

Perhaps he figured that having to be phyiscal and tackling is now a mandatory job function, he was no longer be getting. Free ride.

The Broncos were soft. Players were soft. No heart. Now we have a regime bringing back the passion for the game, won't let players do their own thing just because they are superstars ...ie: Champ on the PUP list to start camp....players showing up late for the bus for the last game of the season last year when it was win or go home...

It doesn't matter if you are the #1 player or the 53rd man on the roster, they will all be treated the same. No more hand holding in this camp.

Nature Boy
08-01-2009, 06:32 PM
Another fallout from the Shanahan/Cutler saga.

atwater27
08-01-2009, 06:32 PM

Huh? What does Cutler have to do with Jarvis?

LRtagger
08-01-2009, 06:33 PM
hmmm is he now the biggest bust in franchise history considering what we gave up for him?

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 06:36 PM
hmmm is he now the biggest bust in franchise history considering what we gave up for him?

He's up there with Middlebrooks and Foster, which were poor selections given the fact that they had injuries during the times of the workout sessions -- but factoring in the additional selections and how things have panned out for him here. . . yeah, it doesn't look good. What a shame.

BroncoWave
08-01-2009, 06:36 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

That's it. Jarvis Moss is so distraught over Shanny and Cutler leaving that he just can't take it any more.

Wow, I really wish I could understand people like you's though processes. It would be amazing.

T.K.O.
08-01-2009, 06:48 PM
maybe moss is secretly awesome and doesnt want to show mcD....that way he can retire then be signed by shanny next year.....yeah thats it !;)

Nature Boy
08-01-2009, 07:12 PM
Moss is obviously struggling as an OLB due to the regime change. I'm thinking Moss' personal life has something to do with it.

Tned
08-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Vic Lombardi is reporting that a "reliable source" has said that Moss has quit the team.

spikerman
08-01-2009, 08:40 PM
I posted an update from the DP in another thread.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=699016#post699016

GEM
08-01-2009, 08:55 PM
Moss is obviously struggling as an OLB due to the regime change. I'm thinking Moss' personal life has something to do with it.

Moss is struggling as a football player because he's just not that good. Has nothing to do with Shanny or Cutler...oh wait, it does.....Shanny's terrible decision making when it comes to defensive personnel.

GEM
08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Vic Lombardi is reporting that a "reliable source" has said that Moss has quit the team.

Oh wow...that's gonna hurt....NOT. :laugh:

Scarface
08-01-2009, 08:58 PM
Moss does realize what it's like in the real world right? He does understand he's walking out of a dream situation? Not everyone gets the opportunity to be a pro athlete.

slim
08-01-2009, 09:01 PM

No, Ted Gregrory will always be the biggest bust in franchise history.

I would also put Marcus Nash ahead of Jarvis.

Tned
08-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh wow...that's gonna hurt....NOT. :laugh:

I'm sure his biggest issue will be if he retires he will owe the Broncos millions. I'm sure his advisors will tell him to get his ass back into camp, and if he gets cut, he is off the hook for the money.

Ironically, if he takes the 'honorable' approach, which is to retire and give back the millions, he will be called a quitter by many on the boards.

Shazam!
08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
I had a 14 oz. steak tonight w/ mashed potatos and gravy, garlic bread, and broccoli rabe. It was soooo friggin' good.

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 09:59 PM

bovine excrement.. jay has nothing to do with this..

just more spam/trolling..

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
He's up there with Middlebrooks and Foster, which were poor selections given the fact that they had injuries during the times of the workout sessions -- but factoring in the additional selections and how things have panned out for him here. . . yeah, it doesn't look good. What a shame.

IIRC moss had a staff infection that knew after the fact never really cleared up and they were aware he was or had been sick his last year there.. and still gave up 1-3-5 to get into position to draft this moron..

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 10:05 PM
I posted an update from the DP in another thread.

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=699016#post699016

Jarvis Moss (Denver Post file photo)Jarvis Moss, the Broncos' first-round draft pick just two years ago, left training camp Saturday to contemplate whether he wants to continue playing, several team sources confirmed.

"He was excused for a very personal reason," said Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. "I am going to respect that, and I hope everybody else does, too."

Moss has struggled almost from the time the Broncos selected him with the No. 17 overall pick in the 2007 draft and gave him a five-year, $14.95 million contract with an $8.06 million guarantee.

If Moss retires, there's a chance he could have to refund nearly $4.8 million of his guarantee back to the Broncos.
A defensive end out of Florida who made his mark by chasing down Ohio State quarterback Troy Smith in the 2006 season NCAA title game, Moss has just 2-1/2 sacks in his two NFL seasons.

His rookie season was cut short after playing in just six games because of a fractured right fibula.

Considered too light at roughly 250 pounds to excel as an NFL defensive end, Moss was moved to outside linebacker after new coach Josh McDaniels switched the defense from a 4-3 to a 3-4 alignment.

Moss was well down on the depth chart Friday when he participated in the Broncos' first two training camp sessions.

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 10:10 PM
I'm sure his biggest issue will be if he retires he will owe the Broncos millions. I'm sure his advisors will tell him to get his ass back into camp, and if he gets cut, he is off the hook for the money.

Ironically, if he takes the 'honorable' approach, which is to retire and give back the millions, he will be called a quitter by many on the boards.

won;t hear it from me it was not his fault he was chosen by the bronco and if he does indeed give money back and d the right thing then it just came down to him not being good enough and God only knows there plenty of that going around..

let hope from this point on we do not screw up day one picks and get lucky on a couple of day two picks..

D1g1tal j1m
08-01-2009, 10:48 PM
It's too bad that he is struggling in a sport he has excelled at since high school. It must be a blow to his self esteem and now he has really struggled to figure out who he really is as an individual.
I don't wish him ill will I just hope he can figure it out and rejoins the team with a clear mind. If he does retire, I wish him the best.

SmilinAssasSin27
08-01-2009, 11:40 PM
I'm still pissed that we passed on Posluszny.

Just sayin...

Lonestar
08-01-2009, 11:42 PM
he was like ashley jsut ahead of his game in college.. when he got here he found out everyone was fast.. and speed alone was not going to make it.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-02-2009, 01:06 AM
IIRC moss had a staff infection that knew after the fact never really cleared up and they were aware he was or had been sick his last year there.. and still gave up 1-3-5 to get into position to draft this moron..

You're right, he did -- and it basically made him miss his first two years of college football. On top of that, he never was in the weight room much in Florida and lacked the proper conditioning coming into the NFL. He had talent, but never could put it together. Jarvis Moss had less collegiate football experience coming out of the draft than almost anyone in recent memory, even if they were redshirted sophomores. People were bigger and stronger here, and he just got mauled. Plus, he played in a heavy rotation system in Florida and although seeing some starts towards his last two years -- was never a three down type of player, or a guy getting a whole lot of snaps on defense.

On the flip side, I wouldn't equate Ashley Lelie to Jarvis Moss. The tales of success or lack of it in each regard has completely different reasoning. Some subtle similarities. Mostly differences.

Peerless
08-02-2009, 01:07 AM
Good he sucks. Away with the garbage.

rcsodak
08-02-2009, 01:47 AM

So which is it? :confused:

Tned
08-02-2009, 12:23 PM
Moss to return on Monday:

@JosinaAnderson (http://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson) Marcus Thomas just told the media that he talked to Jarvis Moss, and as of now Moss says he'll be back tomm.

Simple Jaded
08-02-2009, 01:20 PM
The Shanahan/Cutler saga was a fallout from the poor defensive personnel decisions.......

Nature Boy
08-02-2009, 02:38 PM
The Shanahan/Cutler saga was a fallout from the poor defensive personnel decisions.......

Agree, it started with firing Coyer after the 05 season and bringing Bates who never had the personnel to execute his brand of defense.

Inserting Cutler 3/4 into the season causing us to miss the playoffs that year is for another thread.

LRtagger
08-02-2009, 02:39 PM
Moss is obviously struggling as an OLB due to the regime change.

UHHHHH where have you been? Moss sucked with the old regime. The position change has actually given him the opportunity to turn his career around.

Obviously he does not have what to takes to play under any coach at any position in this league. 3rd year players that have to take time off to decide whether they want to play or not need to just stay at home.

Nature Boy
08-02-2009, 02:52 PM
UHHHHH where have you been? Moss sucked with the old regime. The position change has actually given him the opportunity to turn his career around.

Obviously he does not have what to takes to play under any coach at any position in this league. 3rd year players that have to take time off to decide whether they want to play or not need to just stay at home.

I don't disagree that he sucks but forcing someone who's played DE since he was in the 11th grade to play a different position, they're gonna struggle. Especially from someone who's been hurt most his college and pro career who I'm sure is lacking confidence and now will power.

I say threaten him with taking some of his bonus money back then trade his rights to a 4-3 defensive team for whatever we can get. Hopefully at least a 4th rounder but whatever the Broncos can get.

Nature Boy
08-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nature Boy View Post
-----------------------------

-------------------------------------

So which is it? :confused:

How about a lot of both.

Nature Boy
08-02-2009, 02:56 PM
Moss to return on Monday:

Quote:
@JosinaAnderson Marcus Thomas just told the media that he talked to Jarvis Moss, and as of now Moss says he'll be back tomm.

Good to hear but Moss needs to go to a 4-3 defense if he's to stand a chance in the NFL.

Nature Boy
08-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm still pissed that we passed on Posluszny.

Just sayin...

This exact same time next year, we'll be bitching about how we passed up on Rey Muauluuuuuuuuuuuuuuga!

Nature Boy
08-02-2009, 03:12 PM
This exact same time next year, we'll be bitching about how we passed up on Rey Muauluuuuuuuuuuuuuuga!

Josh McDaniels sucks!

You heard it here 1st! :listen:

silkamilkamonico
08-02-2009, 03:42 PM
If McDaniels doesn't work out, Pat Bowlen needs to seriously look at himself and the decisions he's made, or not made. Shanahan should have been fired about 5 seasons ago, and when he did finally grow some balls and do the right thing, he replaces Shanny with either the first person to come along and interview well, or allowed the wrong person to hire the next HC.

Pat Bowlen needs to be the one that is under the microscope here.

SoCalImport
08-02-2009, 03:59 PM
(with the exception of Coaches Turner and Dennison)

Everyone needs to be under the microscope

It's been that kind of year. Other than the two guys mentioned, No one has proven anything yet.

turftoad
08-02-2009, 04:07 PM
(with the exception of Coaches Turner and Dennison)

Everyone needs to be under the microscope

It's been that kind of year. Other than the two guys mentioned, No one has proven anything yet.

Especially our new head coach. :shocked:

Tned
08-02-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't disagree that he sucks but forcing someone who's played DE since he was in the 11th grade to play a different position, they're gonna struggle. Especially from someone who's been hurt most his college and pro career who I'm sure is lacking confidence and now will power.

I say threaten him with taking some of his bonus money back then trade his rights to a 4-3 defensive team for whatever we can get. Hopefully at least a 4th rounder but whatever the Broncos can get.

You can't threaten him with taking bonus money back. The only way the team can get the money back is if he retires, or possibly if he does something that is forbidden in his contract (like say getting hurt on a dirt bike). Short of that, the money is his.

Lonestar
08-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Josh McDaniels sucks!

You heard it here 1st! :listen:

your not remotely the first and IIRC you have said the same thing many times yourself.. or words to the effect..

time for a new mantra.. that is getting old..

rcsodak
08-02-2009, 04:54 PM
If McDaniels doesn't work out, Pat Bowlen needs to seriously look at himself and the decisions he's made, or not made. Shanahan should have been fired about 5 seasons ago, and when he did finally grow some balls and do the right thing, he replaces Shanny with either the first person to come along and interview well, or allowed the wrong person to hire the next HC.

Color me stupid (with crayons, evidently), but how does the current Moss predicament have ANYTHING to do with McD?

Not necessarily aiming this at you, silk, as you're not the first to fire a salvo. But it still begs to question, other than cut-n-run'er and his diapers leaving the team, what has McD done to deserve constant criticism?

:confused:

rcsodak
08-02-2009, 04:56 PM
your not remotely the first and IIRC you have said the same thing many times yourself.. or words to the effect..

time for a new mantra.. that is getting old..

He must've written in big block letters in his crib notes. That's all he had room for. :elefant:

Lonestar
08-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Color me stupid (with crayons, evidently), but how does the current Moss predicament have ANYTHING to do with McD?

Not necessarily aiming this at you, silk, as you're not the first to fire a salvo. But it still begs to question, other than cut-n-run'er and his diapers leaving the team, what has McD done to deserve constant criticism?

:confused:

I for one think everything I have seen so far is on the road to making this team better than it has been for along time..

practice tackling what a novel thought..
making everyone fight for their starting spot..
making folks be in condition before the report for TC and not allowing them to practice till they are..
not coddling anyone..
having a goal and a plan to get there..
last but not least
turning practice into game situations and practicing like your there to play in the NFL not Club Dove Valley..

more later..

other than jay and him making up his mind about not wanting to be here after mike and bates left.. so sorry folks you can check him out at bears.com

Tned
08-03-2009, 10:05 AM
Reports are that Moss is not on the practice field, while it is not known if he returned to the complex.

Shazam!
08-03-2009, 10:12 AM
practice tackling what a novel thought..
making everyone fight for their starting spot..
making folks be in condition before the report for TC and not allowing them to practice till they are..
not coddling anyone..
having a goal and a plan to get there..
last but not least
turning practice into game situations and practicing like your there to play in the NFL not Club Dove Valley..

Aside from the Cutler debacle I love almost everything McDaniels has done.

To all of McD's critics, if Moss is a bust, you can thank Shanahan and add him with the plethora of wasted picks.

McDaniels haters, go jack another Thread. If Denver is a fundamentally sound, competitive, a marginally improved defense and Orton shines under McDaniels tutelage, prepare to eat crow stewed, fried, broiled, boiled, grilled, steamed... your choice.

bronc kid
08-03-2009, 10:18 AM
jarvis is the dumbest player in history i mean i thought vince young was a little cry baby but goin to retire for no reason he is young and making a lot of money to sit on the bench year round what a dumb ass

Ravage!!!
08-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Although I disagree that Shanahan should have been fired 5 years ago, I was extremely disappointed that he hired a young coach and has given him the same power that Shanahan had..... since that was the biggest criticisms of Shanahan. We all know that Shanahan is one HELL of a coach.. a great coach with one of the very great offensive minds in the NFL. But as we've seen, it was his drafting that has hurt the team (although the last few years have given us one hell of an offense).

So I'm really confused as to why Bowlen went back to the very same system that was proving to be the team's downfall. It wasn't the coach, it was the GM.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2009, 10:56 AM
jarvis is the dumbest player in history i mean i thought vince young was a little cry baby but goin to retire for no reason he is young and making a lot of money to sit on the bench year round what a dumb ass

you don't know his reasons. It tells you something if a person is wishing to retire rather than "make a lot of money to sit on the bench"... doesn't it?

rationalfan
08-03-2009, 03:32 PM

hmmm, you wouldn't be a guy who works half-ass at his job, would you?

LRtagger
08-03-2009, 03:43 PM
Look, the guy entered the NFL thinking he was a big shot...now he is playing with the 3rd string on one of the worst defenses in the NFL...it is understandable that he would feel discouraged, but I see no point in him coming back.

If he is too busy feeling sorry for himself rather than using it as motivation to work his tail off to move up on the depth chart, then I'm sure we can find another bum to take his place as a 3rd string OLB.

Maybe we could use the signing bonus he would owe the organization to sign Moreno and Ayers.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-03-2009, 03:45 PM
This is an Eddie Quittison move if I've ever seen one. He probably just doesn't like McDaniels (much like Quittison didn't like Shanny) and is saying he'll "retire" so the Broncos will release him then some other team will give him a chance to play. He doesn't have a lot of trade value, but if we release him because he says he wants to retire, he'll still get his guaranteed money. Even if he does "retire", I'm sure he'll surface with another NFL club later in the year.

LRtagger
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
This is an Eddie Quittison move if I've ever seen one. He probably just doesn't like McDaniels (much like Quittison didn't like Shanny) and is saying he'll "retire" so the Broncos will release him then some other team will give him a chance to play. He doesn't have a lot of trade value, but if we release him because he says he wants to retire, he'll still get his guaranteed money. Even if he does "retire", I'm sure he'll surface with another NFL club later in the year.

Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

The team isnt just going to release him because he says he wants to retire. They have a lot of money locked up in him and will not just let him go so he can keep his money and play somewhere else.

If he retires and wants to come back for another team, then Goodell has to reinstate him and the Broncos still own his rights...they would still have to release him...refer to the Brett Favre saga in GB.

I guarantee you he is not happy practicing with 3rd string...just a couple weeks ago there was a quote that he was excited to be playing OLB and playing in space. Why everyone keeps throwing this on McDaniels is beyond me.