PDA

View Full Version : Time to have faith

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 10:23 PM
I was looking through the Daily Camera and came across this article by Ryan Thornbrun. I've always enjoyed his articles and though you all might like to see what he has to say as well.

http://www.dailycamera.com/news/2007/aug/31/time-to-have-faith-in-broncos/

Thorburn: Time to have faith in Broncos
By Ryan Thorburn (Contact)
Friday, August 31, 2007

DENVER — If you listen to the talk-shows or read the message boards the sky is falling in Bronco Nation after a lackluster preseason performance by Mike Shanahan's team.

Don't you people trust the Mastermind anymore?

The man didn't fire lovable Larry Coyer so the defense would be worse. He didn't throw Jake Plummer under the bus last season to start rebuilding with a rookie quarterback. He didn't bring Todd Sauerbrun back because he respects quirky, rule-breaking kickers.

How about a little faith?

Shanahan's uninspiring postseason record sans John Elway — one playoff victory in the last eight seasons — is usually harped on in this space. This is also where his history of firing defensive coordinators, even when things are just as lousy on offense and special teams, is criticized. And where the wisdom of signing half the Browns roster or drafting Maurice Clarett is questioned.

But we're going to be the calming voice right now and give Shanahan the benefit of the doubt.

Forget everything you've seen from this team so far this summer. The coaches have probably burned the film by now and are looking forward to the regular season.

So let's look into the crystal ball:

Game 1 — Sept. 9, at Buffalo: The Bills will be able to have some success on the ground early and take 17-10 lead at the intermission. After new defensive coordinator Jim Bates finally starts earning his paycheck with some key halftime adjustments, the Broncos start to play better and force J.P. Losman to throw the ball at Champ Bailey.

Jay Cutler takes advantage of a couple interceptions by his counterpart, and Travis Henry gets some revenge against his former team with a big touchdown run in the fourth quarter. Broncos 24, Bills 23.

Game 2 — Sept. 16, vs. Oakland: Now the Broncomaniacs are back on board the bandwagon. And the Invesco Field crowd will be treated to a Roman Coliseum-like beat down of the pathetic Raiders.

Denver's defense actually gets some pressure on the quarterback — 'Hey, didn't you used to be Daunte Culpepper?' — and Cutler connects with Javon Walker for a couple of touchdows to get Shanahan's squad off to another good start to a season. Broncos 20, Raiders 10.

Game 3 — Sept. 23, vs. Jacksonville: The Broncos begin an important stretch of games against playoff-caliber AFC opponents with the Jaguars. The good news is that Jack Del Rio's otherwise impressive squad does not play well outside the Jacksonville city limits.

And Quentin Griffin isn't around to fumble sure victory into stunning defeat in the fourth quarter. Broncos 27, Jaguars 21.

Game 4 — Sept. 30, at Indianapolis: Peyton Manning had his way with the Broncos even when Al Wilson, his friend and former teammate at the University of Tennessee, knew what was coming. Imagine what the Colts quarterback is going to do against a D.J. Williams-led defense?

Whatever he wants. And the will include finding Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne for touchdowns at the expense of Bailey and Dre Bly.

Some things never change. Colts 34, Broncos 21.

Game 5 — Oct. 7, vs. San Diego: The Broncos did a lot of the heavy lifting last season when LaDainian Tomlinson hoisted the hardware as the NFL's most valuable player. LT scored eight of his touchdowns against Coyer's crew as the Chargers swept the series.

Denver's defense, still licking its wounds from Manning's passing exploits, will be unable to make much progress against the league's most talented offense.

Norv Turner will have San Diego rolling early. Bates will still be trying to get his guys to buy into the new defensive concepts. Chargers 38, Broncos 27.

Game 6 — Oct. 21, vs. Pittsburgh: After back-to-back losses to serious Super Bowl contenders and a long bye week, Shanahan's squad is ready to save the season.

If Plummer delivered a road victory over the Steelers last year then Cutler can get a win over Ben Roethlisberger and Co. at home this year. "Big Ben" isn't the same quarterback he was when the Pittsbugh won the AFC Championship Game at Invesco Field two seasons ago. Broncos 22, Steelers 17.

Game 7 — Oct. 29, vs. Green Bay: The Monday night spotlight will be on Brett Favre and his unofficial farewell tour. But this is a game where Bailey and the Broncos secondary will have an opportunity to make SportsCenter as the future Hall of Fame gunslinger throws the football up for grabs.

Mason Crosby will probably make a 55-yard field goal in his return to Colorado, but Jason Elam gets the last laugh with a 4-for-4 night on extra points. Broncos 28, Packers 17.

Game 8 — Nov. 4, at Detroit: The Broncos are off to a respectable 5-2 start, and Bates' defense is starting to play better against medicore teams. But the Lions — yes, the Lions — will be the greatest show on turf this season and will expose Denver's defense as a flawed unit.

Look for Jon Kitna to throw four touchdowns and three interceptions in this game. The inconsistent Tatum Bell will bring his 'A' game and outshine Henry. Lions 35, Broncos 31.

Game 9 — Nov. 11, at Kansas City: The Broncos will have an important decision to make before taking the field at Arrowhead Stadium. Are they going to be contenders this season? Or are they just also-rans in the AFC?

Cutler leads his team down the right path by carving up a bad Chiefs defense in the fourth quarter of a rare Denver victory at Kansas City. By this point Herm Edwards' team will be playing to win a top-10 pick in the 2008 draft. Broncos 22, Chiefs 19.

Game 10 — Nov. 19, vs. Tennessee: Henry will out-play former Colordo standout Chris Brown and/or Denver native LenDale White on this episode of Monday Night Football.

Despite some big plays by Vince Young, the Broncos will improve to 7-3 under Cutler, who was drafted nine spots behind the Titans star. Broncos 24, Titans 19.

Game 11 — Nov. 25, at Chicago: Cutler will not look as good against Brian Urlacher and Co. And the young quarterback will feel the pain of a complete NFL season after making his 16th career start against the bruising Bears.

Adding insult to injury will be Brian Griese. The ex-Bronco QB will have replaced the inconsistent Rex Grossman at this point and throws two touchdowns for Chicago at Shanahan's expense. Bears 27, Broncos 13.

Game 12 — Dec. 2, at Oakland: The Broncos begin a December to remember by getting on the right track against the Raiders. Bailey returns an interception for a touchdown and Henry and Mike Bell each score two touchdowns to make this an easy day at the office for Cutler.

Meanwhile, Al Davis is trying to decide whether or not to select holdout JaMarcus Russell again with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2008 draft. Broncos 35, Raiders 9.

Game 13 — Dec. 9, vs. Kansas City: Larry Johnson and the Chiefs are a disappointment in Kansas City, but still a hit among fantasy football geeks. LJ shows that there is still work to do on Denver's defense with three touchdowns and 165 yards rushing.

But Cutler pulls this key AFC West win out in the fourth quarter by finding Walker and Brandon Stokley for some clutch third-down conversions before hitting Dan Graham in the end zone. Broncos 21, Chiefs 20.

Game 14 — Dec. 13, at Houston: Gary Kubiak's Texans are improving, but Shanahan needs this game more. And the Broncos will find a way to win the emotional reunion brought to you by Pat Bowlen's favorite channel — the NFL Network.

Denver's defense clamps down on the run after getting humiliated the week before. Good thing Houston passed on that Reggie Bush guy. Broncos 20, Texans 17.

Game 15 — Dec. 24, at San Diego: The Broncos are 10-4. The Chargers are 11-3. And the AFC West is on the line at Qualcomm Stadium.

If Marty Schottenheimer were still around San Diego might get conservative and cough this pressure-packed game up in crunch time. But Norv Turner is going to turn Tomlinson loose and deal Shanahan a wild card. Chargers 34, Broncos 24.

Game 16 — Dec. 30, vs. Minnesota: Shanahan's squad learns its lesson from last year's debacle against San Francisco and takes care of business. The celebration is bittersweet with the anniversary of Darrent Williams' death looming.

Cutler caps off an impressive season in the spotlight by guiding the Broncos into the AFC postseason party. Broncos 35, Vikings 27.

Wild Card Round — Jan. 6, at Indianapolis: San Diego and New England get to enjoy bye weeks after finishing with the top two records in the conference. That means yet another trip to the RCA Dome for Denver.

Henry gets off to a solid start, and Cutler plays well in his playoff debut. Bates' defense doesn't get taken behind the woodshed by Manning like Coyer's used to, but the Broncos still don't get the job done. Colts 31, Broncos 24.

Back to the old drawing board for Shanahan after making it one postseason win in nine seasons. Can't wait for that 2008 preseason.

Watchthemiddle
08-31-2007, 10:28 PM
Interesting.

The only thing I would change is the first playoff game. I would rather it be New England so we can get atleast one playoff win. :laugh:

DenBronx
08-31-2007, 10:29 PM
we lose again to the colts??? i cant take it anymore!!! :viking:

oh well at least we dont get blown out 31-24.....were getting close by only losing by a touchdown.

BroncoWave
08-31-2007, 10:30 PM
I think he needs to have faith. He doesn't see us upsetting anyone all season. I think we will beat the Chargers once myself.

broncosinindy
08-31-2007, 10:31 PM
Sorry but i am going on record now that we will smash the Colts.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 10:33 PM
Interesting.

The only thing I would change is the first playoff game. I would rather it be New England so we can get at least one playoff win. :laugh:

I was thinking along the same lines. While I agree with him on principle that if we make the playoffs we're not going to go far but my hope would be that we just might be able come up with a win the playoffs.

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 10:34 PM
I think he needs to have faith. He doesn't see us upsetting anyone all season. I think we will beat the Chargers once myself.

Well he is saying the he thinks Shanahan will get the team to the playoffs.

BroncoWave
08-31-2007, 10:37 PM
Well he is saying the he thinks Shanahan will get the team to the playoffs.

Screw playoffs, I want Super Bowl! :first:

TXBRONC
08-31-2007, 10:53 PM
Screw playoffs, I want Super Bowl! :first:

I want that too, but I think for this year Thornburn is probably right.

Medford Bronco
09-01-2007, 01:50 AM
I will take 11-5. I think that is a bit better than my prediction of 10-6.

only time will tell.

Retired_Member_001
09-01-2007, 10:46 AM
Honestly 12-4 is possible. But so is 9-7.

It depends entirely on how the team comes together. We have some strong characters so I think most likely the team will really start to mold earlier on in the season.

We also need the right adjustments at the right time during the season aswell as abit of luck.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Honestly 12-4 is possible. But so is 9-7.

It depends entirely on how the team comes together. We have some strong characters so I think most likely the team will really start to mold earlier on in the season.

We also need the right adjustments at the right time during the season aswell as abit of luck.

Yes it is possible, but is it probable? At this point I'm not so sure.

Chidoze
09-01-2007, 02:52 PM
This guy is crazy.

He doesnt give the Broncos any chance against the likes of Indy, SD, Chi, and Det?!??!?!

Detroit?........are you freaking serious???????

Sounds like he's the one who needs to have some faith. :rolleyes:

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:01 PM
This guy is crazy.

He doesnt give the Broncos any chance against the likes of Indy, SD, Chi, and Det?!??!?!

Detroit?........are you freaking serious???????

Sounds like he's the one who needs to have some faith. :rolleyes:

He saying that some think that this season is already over and we might as well pack it in. What Thornburn is saying is that no Denver will be have good season not great and make the playoffs. I think more than anything when look at the teams he thinks we'll lose to it because we have young team.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:03 PM
I will take 11-5. I think that is a bit better than my prediction of 10-6.

only time will tell.

Exactly, where I disagree with Thornburn is us losing to the Chargers twice. I don't think that will happen.

Chidoze
09-01-2007, 03:11 PM
He saying that some think that this season is already over and we might as well pack it in. What Thornburn is saying is that no Denver will be have good season not great and make the playoffs. I think more than anything when look at the teams he thinks we'll lose to it because we have young team.
I understand that, but it makes little sense to tell people to have faith in your team and then turn around and say they will lose in the wildcard.

IMO, personally, if people need to be reminded or convinced that their alleged favorite team will be a contender......it's not worth the effort.

Skinny
09-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Sorry but i am going on record now that we will smash the Colts.I think now with the defensive personel we have with Bates and the players, in particularly Bly, we can match up with them.

Keeping that game as low a scoring game as we can is going to the key IMO.

TXBRONC
09-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I think now with the defensive personel we have with Bates and the players, in particularly Bly, we can match up with them.

Keeping that game as low a scoring game as we can is going to the key IMO.

Yeah we can't get into a shootout with them, its best if we can just keep Manning on the sidelines.