PDA

View Full Version : Should the Broncos cut DJ?

broncofaninfla
08-15-2012, 08:18 PM
With his latest conviction, should Denver cut ties with DJ?

iLands
08-15-2012, 08:22 PM
They aren't cutting him.

They would have already with the opportunity cost from the six game suspension and this still pending.

They have already decided to bite the bullet and take the sunk cost.

jhildebrand
08-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Why? :confused:

Cut him when it counts-when they owe him. No sense while he is suspended.

Simple Jaded
08-15-2012, 09:21 PM
Denver just signed a 36 year old to play LB because of the lack of depth at the position, I sincerely hope they don't cut Williams expecting his level of play from the rest of their LB's.......

Canmore
08-15-2012, 09:28 PM
Denver just signed a 36 year old to play LB because of the lack of depth at the position, I sincerely hope they don't cut Williams expecting his level of play from the rest of their LB's.......

Williams... are we going to part ways with DJ? Probably, but not this season. We are building for the future, but not at the expense of the present. We really don't have anyone to replace him with. If Elway thought we did he would already be gone. Sorry to all the Woodyard lovers but DJ is a better linebacker and we are thin at that position.

dogfish
08-15-2012, 09:36 PM
ask yourself. . . what would peyton ****in' manning do?

MOtorboat
08-15-2012, 09:46 PM
ask yourself. . . what would peyton ****in' manning do?

Make him sit in the port-a-potty for 20 minutes.

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 10:02 PM
Yes. This team is being built around high character guys that love the game and can be counted on by thier teammates on and off of the field. DJ doesn't fit the bill.

Davii
08-15-2012, 10:56 PM
He'll be cut, but not his season I don't think.

DenBronx
08-15-2012, 11:24 PM
DJs a bum. If not for a lack of depth he would be cut already. There's a reason why the team demoted him from being the captain years ago. He's an ok player on the field but he's been in too much trouble off the field.

LTC Pain
08-16-2012, 08:25 AM
Make him sit in the port-a-potty for 20 minutes.

After the other 52 players on the roster have taken a dump in there! Call it the outhouse suspension! Dumbass!

vettesplus
08-16-2012, 08:29 AM
i hope he is suspended for the whole season, put aside his football abilities he is a black eye for what the broncos represent!!!!

BroncoJoe
08-16-2012, 08:32 AM
No real reason to cut him - with the suspension they're not paying him for at least 6 games and maybe more now.

Northman
08-16-2012, 08:40 AM
In due time they will.

OrangeHoof
08-16-2012, 10:07 AM
Not while there's the chance of landing even a seventh-round pick for him. Hold on until he is reinstated then shop him and see who might be interested. Don't be surprised if a team like the Raiders, Ravens or Bengals who like having "bad boys" could be tempted.

MOtorboat
08-16-2012, 10:11 AM
Not while there's the chance of landing even a seventh-round pick for him. Hold on until he is reinstated then shop him and see who might be interested. Don't be surprised if a team like the Raiders, Ravens or Bengals who like having "bad boys" could be tempted.

He likely will not be able to play before the trade deadline in Week 6.

Ravage!!!
08-16-2012, 10:40 AM
He's been the best LB on this team before Von. He's still the best LB on the team, outside of Von. Do I know he'll make it past next season, no. But I'm willing to bet its going to do with how he performs on the field, and how he is in the locker room with his teammates.

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 11:46 AM
They wont cut him. Unless his play starts to slip. Since he is suspended it is not like they are paying the guy anyways. I could see him being traded if our other LBs step up this season in his absence.

MOtorboat
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
What's the CBA say about cutting a player on suspension?

Hadn't thought about that before...

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 12:06 PM
What's the CBA say about cutting a player on suspension?

Hadn't thought about that before...

I do not think you can cut a player strictly based on off the field issues.

MOtorboat
08-16-2012, 12:07 PM

I was kind of thinking that, so it would be pretty hard to part ways with Williams at this point and not get some sort of NFLPA injunction...

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 12:13 PM
I was kind of thinking that, so it would be pretty hard to part ways with Williams at this point and not get some sort of NFLPA injunction...

The same with Cox last season. They had to wait until his play slipped before they could cut him "based on performance"

Northman
08-16-2012, 12:23 PM

Dont know about that. Both Pacman Jones and Ocho Cinco were cut after getting in trouble off the field. Now, they may word it as something else as i know the Dolphins "claimed" that Ocho didnt fit in with them but that is a total contradiction from what i heard days before he was cut in that he was doing very well at TC with the team before the incident with his wife.

Ziggy
08-16-2012, 12:31 PM

You can cut a player because you don't like the way he put his socks on. Teams don't need a reason to cut a player, they can just do it at any time they want to.

Lions release Aaron Berry after second offseason arrest
Posted by Darin Gantt on July 23, 2012, 11:14 AM EDT

AP
Well, that didn’t take long.

The Detroit Lions released cornerback Aaron Berry this morning, finally making a statement about their offseason gone wrong.

Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press said after discussions today, the team made the decision to release the troubled cornerback.

Berry was arrested this weekend on three charges of simple assault, which marked the seventh arrest this offseason (including Berry’s second, after an earlier drunk driving charge) for the Lions.

They issued the perfunctory “extremely disappointed” statement yesterday, and backed it up with actions today.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/lions-release-aaron-berry-after-second-offseason-arrest/

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 12:46 PM
Dont know about that. Both Pacman Jones and Ocho Cinco were cut after getting in trouble off the field. Now, they may word it as something else as i know the Dolphins "claimed" that Ocho didnt fit in with them but that is a total contradiction from what i heard days before he was cut in that he was doing very well at TC with the team before the incident with his wife.

Ocho was let go because "he was not a fit" for the Dolphins according for Philbin.

http://espn.go.com/boston/nfl/story/_/id/8265496/joe-philbin-says-chad-johnson-fit-miami-dolphins

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
You can cut a player because you don't like the way he put his socks on. Teams don't need a reason to cut a player, they can just do it at any time they want to.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/23/lions-release-aaron-berry-after-second-offseason-arrest/

I forgot about that. So they can cut for any reason.

Ravage!!!
08-16-2012, 12:47 PM
The Dolphins just cut Chad Johnson because of off-the-field issues. I'm pretty sure a team doesn't have to "prove" that play on the field has dropped.

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 12:55 PM
The Dolphins just cut Chad Johnson because of off-the-field issues. I'm pretty sure a team doesn't have to "prove" that play on the field has dropped.

Philbin covered his ass and said it was because Johnson was not a good fit.

Ravage!!!
08-16-2012, 12:59 PM
Philbin covered his ass and said it was because Johnson was not a good fit.

He's not a good fit because of his off-field issues. Owners aren't handcuffed in keeping a guy they don't want on the team purely because his "play hasn't dropped." I can simply say "I feel your play has dropped." Thats all it would take since its an opinion based statement. That being said, the CPA isn't going to try and force coaches and owners to give "lip service" in saying "their play has dropped" to cut a player. That alone would HURT a player that would now be a FA.

He said "its not a good fit" because thats the most comfortable way of saying "you're fired" when talking to someone's face.

Northman
08-16-2012, 02:07 PM

Exactly.

The dolphins spinned into something else but everyone knows it was because of his arrest.

Chef Zambini
08-16-2012, 02:32 PM
if chad was still running a 4.4 and catching everything in site while reciting the entire play-book in 3 languages, the dolphins would have said, this is a personnal matter, we will let the legal syatem do its work and not allow ourselves to try #85 in the court of public opinion.
now back to DJ.
he aint gonna cost the broncos squat while on probation, so they wont do a dang thing until its time to cut a check ! if they need him, they will keep him.
If they feel they can compete without him, then he will be toast !
thats reality !
if doom was a fringe player, they would have sent a pink slip, instead of the franchise attorney !
thats reality too !
TALENT, buys patience and understatnding.
diminished skills will get you a higher standard of morals and public rlations concerns !

ray lewis, hello?
the dallas lineman that murdered another human being while DUI?
lets not kid ourselves people !
we live in a daryl stwawberry world , where athletes have different standards of conduct, and justice comensurate with their abilities on the field!

Ravage!!!
08-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Yeah, unlike musicians, actors, CEOs, or Internet Moguls

G_Money
08-16-2012, 02:51 PM
He's been the best LB on this team before Von. He's still the best LB on the team, outside of Von. Do I know he'll make it past next season, no. But I'm willing to bet its going to do with how he performs on the field, and how he is in the locker room with his teammates.

DJ's a loon. As has been stated before by outside media observers, his teammates will call him "the craziest guy I ever played with." He's not a leader. He obviously is a moron off the field.

But like you said, back at Will he's the 2nd best LB on the team. The question is how much of a drop is there to the 3rd best (Irving and Woodyard both look like they can play a little) and what the cap ramifications are of cutting him. The pro-rated bonus at this point isn't much since he's only signed through next year, and should be less than just his yearly salary. In other words, we save money by cutting him. IMO, we're just waiting to see if he's out the whole year.

If he's "only" out the 6 games, that's one thing. If he's out the whole year and we can use his money and spot to add a vet who gets cut at the end of the preseason? I would expect him to be gone.

IIRC, his roster and other bonuses are paid out so we're just on the hook for pro-rated bonus + yearly wage. Not a lot. He's a pretty easy cut if we want him to be. He might have value coming back in week 7 with fresh legs and an understanding of the system...

But if it's longer than that, then his usefulness to this team declines severely, and we can use him to strop a razor.

Personally, I'm more than ready to move on from DJ. But I'm willing to wait and see what discipline is handed down - we're nowhere near final cuts yet.

~G

GEM
08-16-2012, 04:51 PM
The suck part is that they will keep him and cut a guy who doesn't have all the excess baggage and pissing issues.

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 04:58 PM
The suck part is that they will keep him and cut a guy who doesn't have all the excess baggage and pissing issues.

I am really hoping that a player comes out at is awesome...like Irving or Leviathan

Simple Jaded
08-16-2012, 06:06 PM
I'll take the baggage with the talent over a mediocre boy scout. That's what the PS is for.......

Chef Zambini
08-16-2012, 10:09 PM
DJ's a loon. As has been stated before by outside media observers, his teammates will call him "the craziest guy I ever played with." He's not a leader. He obviously is a moron off the field.

But like you said, back at Will he's the 2nd best LB on the team. The question is how much of a drop is there to the 3rd best (Irving and Woodyard both look like they can play a little) and what the cap ramifications are of cutting him. The pro-rated bonus at this point isn't much since he's only signed through next year, and should be less than just his yearly salary. In other words, we save money by cutting him. IMO, we're just waiting to see if he's out the whole year.

If he's "only" out the 6 games, that's one thing. If he's out the whole year and we can use his money and spot to add a vet who gets cut at the end of the preseason? I would expect him to be gone.

IIRC, his roster and other bonuses are paid out so we're just on the hook for pro-rated bonus + yearly wage. Not a lot. He's a pretty easy cut if we want him to be. He might have value coming back in week 7 with fresh legs and an understanding of the system...

But if it's longer than that, then his usefulness to this team declines severely, and we can use him to strop a razor.

Personally, I'm more than ready to move on from DJ. But I'm willing to wait and see what discipline is handed down - we're nowhere near final cuts yet.

~Gwho honestly thinks that a guy already on suspension, gets a DUI and is not a prime candidate for additional penalties from the commish?
who is that poly-anna?

MOtorboat
08-16-2012, 10:11 PM
who honestly thinks that a guy already on suspension, gets a DUI and is not a prime candidate for additional penalties from the commish?
who is that poly-anna?

Couldn't condemn Dumervil, so you're going to turn your ire on Williams, eh?

Chef Zambini
08-16-2012, 10:34 PM
the 2 are birds of a feather
I dont think this most recent slap on the wrist is going to curb elvis' enthusiasm.
I would be stunned if we never saw doom in trouble with the law in the next 3 years !
stunned.

dogfish
08-17-2012, 12:39 AM
the 2 are birds of a feather
I dont think this most recent slap on the wrist is going to curb elvis' enthusiasm.
I would be stunned if we never saw doom in trouble with the law in the next 3 years !
stunned.

right. . . :lol:

because his little scuffle with the parking lot dude makes him a big-time criminal. . . :spit:

on the FBI's ten most wanted list. . . a real bad guy!

:rofl: :pound:

Chef Zambini
08-17-2012, 12:34 PM
pistol packin bad mamma jamma. and consider enhancing your credability be recognizing the event did NOT take place in a parking lot as originally reported.
doom got off, lets see how he handles his fiscal freedom.

Cugel
08-17-2012, 01:22 PM
No real reason to cut him - with the suspension they're not paying him for at least 6 games and maybe more now.

Not only that but he doesn't even cost them a roster spot. They go with 53 other players and then decide whether to activate DJ whenever he becomes eligible or cut him, or activate and trade him.

Win-win-win either way.

IF against all expectations the LBs are great and they feel they don't need DJ they can always get rid of him week 10 or whenever he comes off suspension.

IF as almost everybody who knows football expects, the LBs are the weakest part of the team then they will welcome DJ back.

He'd be totally fresh starting in week 10 for the stretch run.

They may get rid of him next off-season, but it doesn't make much sense to do so now. And next year they can always re-negotiate his contract and say "we've decided we only want to pay you $1,000,000 for the next season, take it or leave it."

It's not as if teams are going to be lining up to offer DJ all kinds of money -- not with him coming off a multi-game suspension and after all the stupid stunts he's pulled:

#1 DUI
#2 caught submitting "non-human urine" to try and beat drug test. "Original Whizzinator (http://blogs.citypages.com/blotter/the-original-whizzinator.gif)" fell out of his pants.
#3 Suspended 6 games for the failed drug test.
#4 Convicted of 2nd DWI.
#5 Facing additional league sanctions from Roger Goddell.

In the NFL it's all about talent. Can you help the team win games? If so, your off-field conduct doesn't matter too much. It DOES matter if you're a problem in the locker room, but DJ has never caused any problems there. He does his job. Doesn't complain when he's moved to a new position, he just goes out and tries to do his best.

He's just a bone-head in private life.

"If you're not in prison and you've got talent, you can play in this league." -- Alfred Williams.

Cugel
08-17-2012, 01:27 PM

They will only "cut a guy" in week 10 or whenever DJ's eligible to return, NOT game 1.

So, yes, bringing DJ back will cost some marginal scrub his job week 10.

So what? If the guy was more talented and useful than DJ he wouldn't lose his job would he? :coffee:

MOtorboat
08-17-2012, 01:32 PM
pistol packin bad mamma jamma. and consider enhancing your credability be recognizing the event did NOT take place in a parking lot as originally reported.

Consider enhancing your credibility by recognizing Dumervil didn't commit a crime.

slim
08-17-2012, 01:34 PM
Couldn't condemn Dumervil, so you're going to turn your ire on Williams, eh?

Oh yeah, I forgot about this.

Have Zam and Buffalo eaten their crow like good little boys?

Cugel
08-17-2012, 01:37 PM
if chad was still running a 4.4 and catching everything in site while reciting the entire play-book in 3 languages, the dolphins would have said, this is a personnal matter, we will let the legal syatem do its work and not allow ourselves to try #85 in the court of public opinion.
now back to DJ.
he aint gonna cost the broncos squat while on probation, so they wont do a dang thing until its time to cut a check ! if they need him, they will keep him.
If they feel they can compete without him, then he will be toast !
thats reality !
if doom was a fringe player, they would have sent a pink slip, instead of the franchise attorney !
thats reality too !
TALENT, buys patience and understatnding.
diminished skills will get you a higher standard of morals and public rlations concerns !

ray lewis, hello?
the dallas lineman that murdered another human being while DUI?
lets not kid ourselves people !
we live in a daryl stwawberry world , where athletes have different standards of conduct, and justice comensurate with their abilities on the field!

That's all true.

Ray Lewis cut a plea bargain to testify in a murder trial in order to beat accessory after the fact felony charges that could have put him in prison for 5-10 years.

Randy Moss ran over a meter-maid with his car because this lowly being dared to write him a parking ticket! ("Don't you KNOW who I am?!")

Sean Taylor and Plexico Burress were among the numerous NFL and former NFL players arrested on felony weapons charges and Plexico served time, yet he's back in the league.

Micheal Vick was convicted for felony dog-fighting charges and served 2 years in prison. Now starting QB for the Eagles with THIS contract:

8/29/2011: Signed a six-year, $100 million contract. (http://www.rotoworld.com/teams/contracts/nfl/phi/)The deal contains $35.5 million guaranteed, including a $7 million signing bonus and all of Vick's first- and second-year base salaries and $3 million of his 2013 salary (for injury only).

And, last but by no means least, Travis Henry, he of the 11 different baby mommas and numerous court appearances related to missed child support payments, was just RE-INSTATED by the NFL after 2 year stint in prison on felony cocaine trafficing charges after he was caught with 3 KILOS of cocaine not more than 6 months after the Broncos cut him from the team.

Compared with Travis Henry, DJ Williams is like the Buddha!

Chef Zambini
08-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Consider enhancing your credibility by recognizing Dumervil didn't commit a crime.his victims and witnesses failed to show up for their appointments to give depositions to the DA ! thisa after a visit from the bronco attorney. if you want to consider that as the same as doom didnt commit any crime, thats your buisness. sadly, doom will most likely come away with the same mentality and therefor e is DOOMED to repeat his lame ass behavior.
when these clowns think they are above the law, they continue to disregard it !
well at least ray lewis hasnt killed anybody since the last time, so I guess there is hope !

MOtorboat
08-17-2012, 01:51 PM
his victims and witnesses failed to show up for their appointments to give depositions to the DA ! thisa after a visit from the bronco attorney. if you want to consider that as the same as doom didnt commit any crime, thats your buisness. sadly, doom will most likely come away with the same mentality and therefor e is DOOMED to repeat his lame ass behavior.
when these clowns think they are above the law, they continue to disregard it !
well at least ray lewis hasnt killed anybody since the last time, so I guess there is hope !

You don't even know the difference between committing a murder and being an accessory....

And you're telling Dog he has no credibility? :rolleyes:

Ravage!!!
08-17-2012, 01:57 PM
You don't even know the difference between committing a murder and being an accessory....

And you're telling Dog he has no credibility? :rolleyes:

Not even an accessory. It was "accessory after the fact"... meaning he wasn't saying anything.

dogfish
08-17-2012, 02:19 PM

lol, zam. . . consider enhancing your own by figuring out what i was talking about. . . :lol:

topscribe
08-17-2012, 02:54 PM
~G
Hmmm . . . I haven't seen that. I have seen reports where he is liked and respected
by his teammates. He was voted by his teammates as team captain before he lost
the distinction from his drinking . . .

G_Money
08-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Lonnie Paxton and JD Walton were voted team captains last year. As was Kyle Orton. Captains in hockey or for the Yankees and captains in football aren't the same thing.

And yes, I've heard that "craziest guy I've ever played with" quote from both a newspaperman and a radio personality. In fact, D-Mac and Alfred were talking about it a couple weeks ago. D-Mac said it, Alfred agreed.

DJ was never a leader in college - that was Vilma's job. He wasn't on the Broncos to start his career - that was Wilson's job. Once Wilson had that screwed-up injury retirement and Lynch was done, they pleaded with DJ to lead the locker room as the most talented defensive player we had. Most physically talented, anyway.

Never worked out. That's why we needed Dawkins. DJ's just not that kind of player. I may wish DJ was more, but he's not - he's never been able to take full advantage of his physical gifts because of a ten cent head, and that head keeps getting him in the kind of trouble off the field that will keep him from getting on it and taking any kind of advantage of all that talent.

It's a shame, but I'm not slagging him - he's done that all by himself. He is what he is. Now the only call is how much trouble to go through to keep him around if he's gonna be a jackass off the field and not gonna play.

~G

Simple Jaded
08-17-2012, 11:00 PM
The question wasn't "has Williams reached his potential?" or whether or not he's a leader, the question was "should the Broncos cut Williams?". If the Broncos had better options he'd already be gone and if the Broncos were planning to replace him they would have put a little more effort into planning to replace him.

Nobody is saying he should retire a Bronco but the answer to the question is a no-brainer until there is better options to replace him. Consider who replaces Williams.......Woodyard, right? He's been a scrub so far, he's a dime-o-dozen, what happens if he goes down? You're stuck with a scrubs scrub.

The Broncos may cut him tomorrow but it would be highly questionable.......

topscribe
08-18-2012, 09:49 AM
The question wasn't "has Williams reached his potential?" or whether or not he's a leader, the question was "should the Broncos cut Williams?". If the Broncos had better options he'd already be gone and if the Broncos were planning to replace him they would have put a little more effort into planning to replace him.

Nobody is saying he should retire a Bronco but the answer to the question is a no-brainer until there is better options to replace him. Consider who replaces Williams.......Woodyard, right? He's been a scrub so far, he's a dime-o-dozen, what happens if he goes down? You're stuck with a scrubs scrub.

The Broncos may cut him tomorrow but it would be highly questionable.......
That's essentially why D.J. is still a Bronco. There's a monstrous dropoff behind
him. Despite Woodyard's popularity with the fans, he is not near the LB D.J. is.
I'm hoping Irving will continue the rampage he initiated in the last game from
the Will position. That might relax our angst a bit regarding that position.

BTW, D.J. WAS voted team captain by his teammates, unless I'm suffering
illusions. He was removed from that distinction after his first DUI offense.