PDA

View Full Version : SIRIUS/XM At Broncos Camp 08/14/12

NightTrainLayne
08-15-2012, 04:58 PM
I haven't seen anyone post on this. Unfortunately, I got tied up at work, and missed virtually all of Pat Kirwin and Tim Ryan's afternoon at Broncos camp.

I did catch about 30 minutes worth, including interviews with Dreesen, and Coach Fox. .. . of course, I missed interviews with Manning, Elway and others.

What I did hear:

1. This is the last camp these guys are visiting. Per both Kirwin and Ryan, this practice was "by far" the most physical practice they had seen. They were very impressed with the physicality, and mentioned it to Coach Fox. Fox of course answered that they only have so many pracitices in pads and wanted to make sure they counted.

2. Kirwin went to great lengths to talk to Dreesen and Fox about our plethora of formation in 12 personnel (1 RB 2 TE's). He said he was watching Manning run the no-huddle, and that they brought out 12 pers. package, and he ran at least 12 formations out of that one personnel package within the same "drive".

It sounds like to me we will be running this package a bunch, and it makes sense with all the TE's we have. Kirwin thinks Dreesen is a legit FB type guy, and can play all over the field when we're in that package. Of course, we all know that's a huge advantage if we can get the other teams defense stuck in a disadvantageous package and run no-huddle.

3. Manning looks great. Great touch on underneath stuff, and enough oomph to get it where it needs to go when he needs to. Since the surgery was about nerve damage, I think that having good touch on the underneath/softer passes is probably great news. Those passes were probably affected more by nerve damage than others, but that's just my own unprofessional opinion.

4. Fox is excited to work with Del Rio again. Thinks defense is really coming together.

Those are the highlights I remember. I am really hoping someone else heard this and can fill in some more, especially from some of the other interviews. I think Tned was out of town, or he would have heard some of this. If you heard some, post what you heard.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-15-2012, 07:15 PM
I got to listen to a little bit in my car. When I tuned in, they were talking to Elway. He seems very confident in Manning's progress and in how far the offense has already come. He's very high on Brock and all three agreed (Tim Ryan, Pat Kirwan, and Elway) that he's in the perfect position to be able to learn from Manning. Kirwan got a chance to really sit down and pick Brock's brain for a few hours back before the draft (they were on the same flight together at one point) and says Brock is like a sponge and is extremely football intelligent and Elway agreed. John talked about the real effort they made to fix some of the problems that were exposed in the secondary with the signings of Adams, Porter, and Florence and the drafting of Bolden. Thinks Fox and Del Rio will have our defense much improved this season. Both Tim and Pat were also impressed with Ronnie Hillman, marveling at his quickness and speed in space. John talked him up (made it sound like they plan for him to be the #2 RB without actually saying it).

The next guy up was Wolfe and they talked about his versatility and playing all over the LOS on defense. Tim and Pat asked how hard it must be to be a rookie and not only be expected to learn one position, but have to learn 4 (they've lined Wolfe up at every position at different times thus far in camp). He talked about starting off behind - both mentally and with acclimation to the altitude - because he missed OTAs waiting to graduate. Wolfe talked about lining up in different spots in college and discussed that normally you can "scout" the O-lineman you're going to line up across from on film, but when you switch positions so much, you rely more on body language and reading the guy with every snap you get to catch his tendencies because you don't lineup vs the same guy every snap. They asked him about feeling intimidated in meetings with all the vets and he said the vets are very helpful and don't razz him so much for asking "dumb" questions. He says Jay Rodgers is an amazing coach and is extremely detail-oriented.

When asked about playing against Manning, he says it's extremely difficult because it's virtually impossible to figure out when he's going to snap the ball. The defense has to be ready every second because Manning brings the offense to the LOS so the D-line gets ready then they have to sit in their stance for what seems like an eternity while he audibles and kills time. That causes fatigue just waiting for the snap. Sometimes Manning walks up and they expect all the audibles and he quick snaps it before they're ready. He says Robert Ayers is the joker of the D-lineman and talks a lot of trash but is always the guy to lighten the mood.

That's where I had to stop listening (was on my dinner break on duty).

spikerman
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
I only got to listen to a little bit of it, but they were talking to Champ Bailey. He said that he tried to warn the young guys that Manning would set them up and just because he's looking in one place it doesn't mean that's where it's going. He said that even though he tells people that it's hard to be disciplined and Manning winds up getting them anyway. He also said that Manning's arm and accuracy were great. That's about all I got to hear other than Tim teasing him about giving up a touchdown to Dreesen.

Tned
08-15-2012, 11:47 PM
I was in the car all day Tuesday and while I was streaming MHS radio and 104.3 most of the day, at one point I said, "____, Sirius is covering Broncos camp today." Purely due to luck, this happened right as Tim and Pat's show was starting.

I'm had my share of beer and wine tonight, and that was two days ago, but I'll try and recount what I remember (much of it already posted in this thread).

They LOVE Wolfe. They like what they saw and think he will make a big impact. They expect him to play DE on the early downs (with Warren and Vickerson in the middle) and move to DT with Ayers for the passing downs (Hunters injury makes this more likely).

They really liked what they saw of Hillman and his burst getting to the outside on a few plays they watched.

Said Champ looks good.

Seem to really like DT and Decker, both.

Said Manning looked good. Talked about a deep post to DT for a TD on 7 on 7 or 11 on 11 drills (can't remember which) and that he had plenty of zip on the ball. They pointed out that fans shouldn't be concerned about the little floaters he tosses to RBs, TEs and WRs on the short routes. Said that Manning has never rocketed these short passes, but instead throws easy to catch, accurate balls.

They expect the Broncos to run a lot of 12 personell (1 RB, 2 TE, 2 WR), with Dreesen and Tamme being a HUGE part of the offense. Talked about Dreesen being very versatile (and practicing the versatility in camp), where he can line up on the tackle, in the slot, out wide or line up at fullback.