PDA

View Full Version : New footballs cause concern among NFL quarterbacks

Denver Native (Carol)
08-15-2012, 12:56 PM
The NFL is putting a new type of football into use for the second week of the preseason as an experiment, and it has been met with some opposition from players.

The NFL has distributed balls with synthetic laces, as opposed to the traditional leather ones, to teams to practice with this week and use in this weekend's preseason games. NFL spokesman Michael Signora said that the choice of which footballs to use in practices and games this week remains up to the teams themselves.

A number of active, Pro Bowl-caliber quarterbacks already have lodged complaints about the newer balls to the NFLPA, claiming they can cause micro-cuts and alter a passer's throwing motion. There is some concern among the quarterbacks that this is the first step in implementing the synthetic-lace balls full-time.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000050495/article/new-footballs-cause-concern-among-nfl-quarterbacks?module=HP11_headline_stack

vandammage13
08-15-2012, 01:00 PM
Why would the NFL even do this?

I remember the NBA some years back tried to use a new basketball, but recieved so much negative feedback from the players that it was ultimately dumped.

I hope the NFL isn't latching on to this "green" movement and is now anti-leather...

The Glue Factory
08-15-2012, 01:53 PM

I remember the NBA some years back tried to use a new basketball, but recieved so much negative feedback from the players that it was ultimately dumped.

I hope the NFL isn't latching on to this "green" movement and is now anti-leather...

Especially since cow flatulance is a (major) source of methane, a green house gas. Not to mention the CO2 they exhale. Need to keep killing cows to keep the Earth from burning up.

Simple Jaded
08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

I hope the NFL isn't latching on to this "green" movement and is now anti-leather...The answer is money, read the last line of the article; "One union source pointed out that this could open the door for Nike, a prominent football distributer at the college and high school levels, to make a run at rights that have been held by Wilson for decades".......

Ravage!!!
08-15-2012, 03:13 PM
yeah, but why doesn't Nike use real laces? Synthetic ones suck, bad. They hurt the fingers, and get REALLY really slick. I don't know why they even call them "synthetic" at all, because they certainly do NOT feel anything like real laces. I expect to see a Nike ball be the official ball of the NFL, soon. But does Wilson hold the rights to real laces? Any infringement rights would have LONG passed if that were the case. Don't know, but I think its pretty lame when professional equipment gets to be as low quality and cheap as something we would buy at Toys-r-Us.