PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Demps

NightTerror218
08-15-2012, 11:46 AM
The former FL Gator Demps is coming to the NFL. He skipped the NFL draft to run in the Olympics and won a silver metal. he is not joining the NFL as a UDFA. Should the broncos be interested in him? He is quick and awesome in return game.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8270802/agent-2012-olympian-jeff-demps-drawing-nfl-interest

BroncoWave
08-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Absolutely. We need a returner and he would make another weapon for Manning in the offense.

NightTerror218
08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
I have not watched a lot of him. I know about his speed for sure. He was a RB/KR at FL does he have good hands? He had under 600 yards rushing his last season but averaged 28 yards on returns.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2012, 12:15 PM
Awesome returner, not a very good RB. Would be excellent in the return game and hope Devner can find a way to get him.

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 12:24 PM
He's a very good kickoff returner. He only returned punts early in his freshman year at Florida. He was a scatback in the Gators offense. He has good hands and can take it to the house on any given play. He was expected to run a sub 4.3 at the scouting combine. He would be a great addition as a KR, but which RB do you want to cut to keep him. Hillman can fill the role that he would have on offense. You can't keep just one between the tackles runner on the roster. It wouldn't bode well for the long NFL season. The Broncos are going to keep McGahee, Hillman, and Gronkowski at FB. That leaves room for 1 or 2 more backs. One of the others has to be able to run between the tackles and/or pass block on passing downs. He can't pass block, so using him as a 3rd down back is out of the question. I love him as a kick returner, but he doesn't fit outside of special teams. Then again, neither did Devin Hester his first two years in the league.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-15-2012, 12:36 PM
I'd love to have him. Lance Ball can kick rocks to make a spot for him. Demps has the potential to be another Hester... knowing that, we all know where he'll end up - Oakland.

NightTerror218
08-15-2012, 12:57 PM
He's a very good kickoff returner. He only returned punts early in his freshman year at Florida. He was a scatback in the Gators offense. He has good hands and can take it to the house on any given play. He was expected to run a sub 4.3 at the scouting combine. He would be a great addition as a KR, but which RB do you want to cut to keep him. Hillman can fill the role that he would have on offense. You can't keep just one between the tackles runner on the roster. It wouldn't bode well for the long NFL season. The Broncos are going to keep McGahee, Hillman, and Gronkowski at FB. That leaves room for 1 or 2 more backs. One of the others has to be able to run between the tackles and/or pass block on passing downs. He can't pass block, so using him as a 3rd down back is out of the question. I love him as a kick returner, but he doesn't fit outside of special teams. Then again, neither did Devin Hester his first two years in the league.

I think Hillman can go between the tackles.

dogfish
08-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I'd love to have him. Lance Ball can kick rocks to make a spot for him. Demps has the potential to be another Hester... knowing that, we all know where he'll end up - Oakland.

al davis is supposedly dead, homes. . .

MOtorboat
08-15-2012, 01:09 PM
My guesses: Dallas, Seattle.

dogfish
08-15-2012, 01:12 PM
tampa bay has been in contact with him since prior to the olympics. . .

Ziggy
08-15-2012, 04:25 PM
I think Hillman can go between the tackles.

Hillman hasn't been able stay healthy with little to no contact. He's going to have to prove himself in preseason games.....if he can get healthy enough to dress in one.

G_Money
08-15-2012, 04:35 PM
What Ziggy said. Hillman has to get on the field before we start talking about what he can do as a runner. I'd have taken Demps straight up over Hillman in the draft (that kid has a lot to prove to me) and I'd take him over Moreno now.

We'd need to carry 5 RBs, probably, but that's doable, especially if we're using one as essentially a backfield receiver/KR. He'll be interesting to watch, wherever he goes - likely not here.

~G

iLands
08-15-2012, 07:46 PM
i6PQ09oTu-4

Fits a need like a glove.

I hope we give him a solid look.

Jsteve01
08-16-2012, 12:00 AM
What Ziggy said. Hillman has to get on the field before we start talking about what he can do as a runner. I'd have taken Demps straight up over Hillman in the draft (that kid has a lot to prove to me) and I'd take him over Moreno now.

We'd need to carry 5 RBs, probably, but that's doable, especially if we're using one as essentially a backfield receiver/KR. He'll be interesting to watch, wherever he goes - likely not here.

~G straight up over hillman? Come on g .demps is a 1 trick pony. Hillman had multiple seasons in which he rushed for more yards than demps did his entire career.

summit pass
08-16-2012, 02:54 AM
From the highlights of demps, his burst is ridiculous, and his vision is not that bad considering the quickness he possesses. Also the agility is not bad. I would consider taking him as a all around X factor which could be a pleasant surprise! Go get this guy.

silkamilkamonico
08-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Is Hillman still hurt? I thought they kept him out last wekk mre of a precautionary.

BroncoJoe
08-16-2012, 08:56 AM
Rose wouldn’t identify the teams in the mix, but Tampa Bay coach Greg Schiano confirmed that the Buccaneers are interested in Demps, who was part of the 400-meter relay team that finished second to Jamaica in London. The New York Jets [team stats], with Demps’ former college teammate Tim Tebow, also are among the seven or eight teams on the list.

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20220816olympian_jeff_demps_close_to_signing_with_ nfl_team/srvc=home&position=recent

G_Money
08-16-2012, 10:19 AM
I don't understand at this point what tricks Hillman actually has. Demps has blazing speed, is a dangerous return man and swing back...he has things he CAN do at an elite level. Being an every down back is not one of them, but I can live with that.

Hillman does...what? Catches passes, except he has mediocre hands and a potential fumbling issue? Comes in as a a change-of-pace back, except I haven't really seen his extra gear? He won't move a pile, he's a situational back as well (at least to start), also a bit injury-prone...SOB, he's starting to sound like Knowshon.

He had a bunch of 90+ yard runs that he won't get in the NFL, which is nice but not repeatable. He's not a good pass blocker, from what I remember. Maybe the Broncos can fix all of that, but I don't like early round picks that need to be "fixed" in order to be the situational players we drafted em to be. Maybe I'm completely wrong about him, and he'll be great. Potentially an every-downer and home run threat all at once in a way that Moreno has not managed to be. That'd be nice. I'd love to be wrong, especially since we traded up to get him.

But on draft day if we'd taken Demps I'd have thought, "well, I don't like his limitations and his injury-prone nature and build, but he can take it to the house and can be a weapon in a Manning offense that we really haven't seen before."

When we took Hillman, I cussed a lil bit, I'll admit it. And since he's the guy I REALLY wanted to see this training camp because I want to be wrong about him, his hamstring issue is probably making me overstate things. I just would have understood how Demps might fit on this team better than I understood how Hillman would.

~G

Ravage!!!
08-16-2012, 10:46 AM
straight up over hillman? Come on g .demps is a 1 trick pony. Hillman had multiple seasons in which he rushed for more yards than demps did his entire career.

G has a serious problem with Hillman. I'm guessing he played for a rival college or something.

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 11:15 AM
I don't understand at this point what tricks Hillman actually has. Demps has blazing speed, is a dangerous return man and swing back...he has things he CAN do at an elite level. Being an every down back is not one of them, but I can live with that.

Hillman does...what? Catches passes, except he has mediocre hands and a potential fumbling issue? Comes in as a a change-of-pace back, except I haven't really seen his extra gear? He won't move a pile, he's a situational back as well (at least to start), also a bit injury-prone...SOB, he's starting to sound like Knowshon.

He had a bunch of 90+ yard runs that he won't get in the NFL, which is nice but not repeatable. He's not a good pass blocker, from what I remember. Maybe the Broncos can fix all of that, but I don't like early round picks that need to be "fixed" in order to be the situational players we drafted em to be. Maybe I'm completely wrong about him, and he'll be great. Potentially an every-downer and home run threat all at once in a way that Moreno has not managed to be. That'd be nice. I'd love to be wrong, especially since we traded up to get him.

But on draft day if we'd taken Demps I'd have thought, "well, I don't like his limitations and his injury-prone nature and build, but he can take it to the house and can be a weapon in a Manning offense that we really haven't seen before."

When we took Hillman, I cussed a lil bit, I'll admit it. And since he's the guy I REALLY wanted to see this training camp because I want to be wrong about him, his hamstring issue is probably making me overstate things. I just would have understood how Demps might fit on this team better than I understood how Hillman would.

~G

From what I hear Hillman is really fast and quick. He also has good hands. Where did you hear mediocre? He has homerun speed. How do you know he cant move a pile? He is thicker then people thought he was when camp started.

underrated29
08-16-2012, 11:18 AM
i6PQ09oTu-4

Holy Testicle Tuesday!!
I want one of those on our team....

dogfish
08-16-2012, 11:24 AM
G has a serious problem with Hillman. I'm guessing he played for a rival college or something.

or, he's just calling it like he sees it, and doesn't feel compelled to parrot pre-draft rankings. . .

it's possible to not like a broncos draft prospect for objective reasons-- it's not like we never miss. . .

silkamilkamonico
08-16-2012, 11:40 AM
~G

Anyone who has watched any Florida games, including Florida fans, knows full well Demps will never play RB in the NFL. He could be a great return guy, but he is not a "swing back" and gimmick runners do not work in the NFL because of the field setup and team speed on defense. Strictly retunr guy, nothing more.

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Anyone who has watched any Florida games, including Florida fans, knows full well Demps will never play RB in the NFL. He could be a great return guy, but he is not a "swing back" and gimmick runners do not work in the NFL because of the field setup and team speed on defense. Strictly retunr guy, nothing more.

If he develops well I could see him as a Sproles style player

silkamilkamonico
08-16-2012, 11:50 AM
If he develops well I could see him as a Sproles style player

IMHO I don't thuink so. The two were nothing alike as far as the position was concerend in college. Sproles was an exceptional RB at KSTate and had comparisons to Barry Sanders at times. Demps was not even an average RB for Florida, and after trying to move him to WR and defense on more than one occasion, they used him on swing plays to the wide side of the field, which isn't transcending to the NFL in any way. His job at Florida on offense was to do one thing, outrun defenders to the sidelines and turn upfield. He won't get away with that in the NFL simply because of the contruction of the hashmarks.

vandammage13
08-16-2012, 02:08 PM
IMHO I don't thuink so. The two were nothing alike as far as the position was concerend in college. Sproles was an exceptional RB at KSTate and had comparisons to Barry Sanders at times. Demps was not even an average RB for Florida, and after trying to move him to WR and defense on more than one occasion, they used him on swing plays to the wide side of the field, which isn't transcending to the NFL in any way. His job at Florida on offense was to do one thing, outrun defenders to the sidelines and turn upfield. He won't get away with that in the NFL simply because of the contruction of the hashmarks.

The key is to get him the ball in space...that's on the coaches to get him in that position.

He's not an everydown back but he does have value as a role player if used correctly...I would say worth a shot for any team to give him a chance since he's an UDFA.

At worst I think he could be a solid contributer as a return man.

G_Money
08-16-2012, 02:20 PM

I didn't go to college, so there is no rival. I probably just watched Hillman's bad games, and they made an impression. IMO he's not a finished product by any means and isn't gonna be a HR hitter this year.

Would love to be wrong, since he's on my Broncos, but I prefer to call my shots up front, not after the ball has already fallen in a pocket. Even if it means I miss. ;)

NT218 - I saw him bounce off too many piles in college to think he's gonna move an NFL one consistently. I didn't see the afterburners on the field that I would have thought he'd have based on his track time, but maybe he'll show better ones in the NFL. And he can catch, but not if there's other stuff going on. A guy like Hillis has better receiving hands IMO, especially in traffic.

Again, he can fix all of that - I said on draft day that Hillman might be the key to having this draft work out for us. And I'm pulling for him - I always want to be wrong when I cuss on draft day. *laughs*

But his ass has to get on the field and prove it to me. So far we're struggling with the first part. I look forward to him getting on the field and being a badass, because I'm also looking forward to cutting Moreno and that's hard to do if Hillman can do man's work his rookie year.

~G

summit pass
08-16-2012, 04:53 PM
According to yardbarker Demps is close to signing with Tampa.

NightTerror218
08-16-2012, 04:57 PM
According to yardbarker Demps is close to signing with Tampa.

That what I heard yesterday and today it was about the Jets along with 7 other teams talking to him.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-16-2012, 05:20 PM
As NFL front offices swoop in to eyeball Olympic silver medalist Jeff Demps, the New York Jets are preparing to unleash their secret weapon on the recruiting front.

You guessed it -- Tim Tebow.

Rich Cimini of ESPNNewYork.com reported the Jets are "very interested" in Demps, the free-agent running back who was part of the 400-meter relay team that finished second to Jamaica in London. Seven or eight teams are hovering, and agent Daniel Rose said Demps -- hot for a Super Bowl ring -- is expected to make a decision by Thursday night.

Tebow played with Demps at the University of Florida in 2008 and 2009. The quarterback was approached by general manager Mike Tannenbaum before a media session Thursday and agreed to reach out to Demps "as a friend" (with an agenda).

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000050927/article/tim-tebow-recruiting-us-olympian-jeff-demps?module=HP11_headline_stack

Simple Jaded
08-16-2012, 06:03 PM
It's alright, Dexter McCluster will be available before too long.......

Jsteve01
08-17-2012, 07:15 AM
It's alright, Dexter McCluster will be available before too long.......lmao

Mike
08-17-2012, 09:07 AM
I didn't go to college, so there is no rival. I probably just watched Hillman's bad games, and they made an impression. IMO he's not a finished product by any means and isn't gonna be a HR hitter this year.

Would love to be wrong, since he's on my Broncos, but I prefer to call my shots up front, not after the ball has already fallen in a pocket. Even if it means I miss. ;)

NT218 - I saw him bounce off too many piles in college to think he's gonna move an NFL one consistently. I didn't see the afterburners on the field that I would have thought he'd have based on his track time, but maybe he'll show better ones in the NFL. And he can catch, but not if there's other stuff going on. A guy like Hillis has better receiving hands IMO, especially in traffic.

Again, he can fix all of that - I said on draft day that Hillman might be the key to having this draft work out for us. And I'm pulling for him - I always want to be wrong when I cuss on draft day. *laughs*

But his ass has to get on the field and prove it to me. So far we're struggling with the first part. I look forward to him getting on the field and being a badass, because I'm also looking forward to cutting Moreno and that's hard to do if Hillman can do man's work his rookie year.

~G

I am interetsed in seeing Hillman on the field. Sounds like that will have to wait though. I will settle for seeing more from Omon. He looked more promising than Ball or Moreno, IMO.

TXBRONC
08-17-2012, 09:49 AM
It's alright, Dexter McCluster will be available before too long.......

Why do you think that? I can say I've heard anything that would indicate that the Chiefs are ready to turn him lose.

G_Money
08-17-2012, 10:29 AM
I like Omon. Vision + lower body strength can take you a long way in the league. If he can figure out when to pick his path and when to plow one, he's got a shot. I'm hoping for him to take Knowshon's spot.

~G

TXBRONC
08-17-2012, 11:13 AM
I like Omon. Vision + lower body strength can take you a long way in the league. If he can figure out when to pick his path and when to plow one, he's got a shot. I'm hoping for him to take Knowshon's spot.

~G

I'm with you if Omon can beat Moreno that's fine by me.

That said, it been mentioned a couple of times that Denver would take a big cap hit if they released him.

silkamilkamonico
08-17-2012, 11:30 AM
Omon runs too much like McGahee. Moreno has been a disappoibntment, but we need to have some kind of a recieving/shifty threat in the backfield, and if both Moreno/Hillman aren't in the picture our running game is going to be extremely one dimensional, and a concern IMHO.

IMHO I think Omon is competing more with Ball than he is with Moreno.

MOtorboat
08-17-2012, 11:51 AM
He's a Patriot.

MNPatsFan
08-17-2012, 12:01 PM
He's a Patriot.:elefant:

I am interested to see how he does and how BB uses him. The Patriots need help on their return games so hopefully he will be just what we/the Patriots need!:D

Denver Native (Carol)
08-17-2012, 09:10 PM
UPDATE: Demps has officially signed with the Patriots, the team announced Friday night. Financial terms were unavailable but a source with knowledge of the situation told NFL.com and NFL Network reporter Ian Rapoport that Demps' contract is for three years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000051331/article/jeff-demps-signs-contract-with-new-england-patriots?module=HP11_headline_stack

Simple Jaded
08-17-2012, 11:06 PM
The Patriots have gone full retard with that spread offense.......

CrazyHorse
08-18-2012, 01:14 PM
he's a patriot.

lame.

Bugs Baloney
08-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Geez i despise the Patriots.... :tsk:

Joel
08-18-2012, 07:56 PM
Meh, the Pats can have him. I wouldn't put too much stock in his Olympic performance for several reasons:

1) First and foremost, it was a RELAY, so he only contributed 400m of 1200,
2) He only ran in the preliminary round because he replaced a guy with a stress fracture in his foot,
3) He didn't run in the silver medal winning final despite two of the scheduled runners being held out with an injury and a third, Mateo Mitchell, breaking his leg half way through his part of the preliminary heat.

In other words, even with four guys hurt Demps couldn't start on a team that finished second (the first US mens 4X400 team to miss gold since the 1980 Moscow boycott.) It's worth noting their time in the heat he ran was fastest of the games, but the guy I'd want from that squad is Mitchell, who heard his leg loudly snap and finished the last half of his stage in excruciating pain, on nothing but determination and devotion. I couldn't run 400m in 46.1 seconds on two healthy legs, let alone do the last half on a broken one; that's the kind of talent and heart I want in Denver.

Anyway, we're not talking Bullet Bob Hayes (even if we were, his hands were so bad he was never Dallas' #1 WR.) Demps was a relay backup even on a team without starters. I wish him well, but don't lament our loss (if any.)

NightTerror218
08-20-2012, 01:25 PM
Meh, the Pats can have him. I wouldn't put too much stock in his Olympic performance for several reasons:

1) First and foremost, it was a RELAY, so he only contributed 400m of 1200,
2) He only ran in the preliminary round because he replaced a guy with a stress fracture in his foot,
3) He didn't run in the silver medal winning final despite two of the scheduled runners being held out with an injury and a third, Mateo Mitchell, breaking his leg half way through his part of the preliminary heat.

In other words, even with four guys hurt Demps couldn't start on a team that finished second (the first US mens 4X400 team to miss gold since the 1980 Moscow boycott.) It's worth noting their time in the heat he ran was fastest of the games, but the guy I'd want from that squad is Mitchell, who heard his leg loudly snap and finished the last half of his stage in excruciating pain, on nothing but determination and devotion. I couldn't run 400m in 46.1 seconds on two healthy legs, let alone do the last half on a broken one; that's the kind of talent and heart I want in Denver.

Anyway, we're not talking Bullet Bob Hayes (even if we were, his hands were so bad he was never Dallas' #1 WR.) Demps was a relay backup even on a team without starters. I wish him well, but don't lament our loss (if any.)

He was one of the best PR in the nation last year in college. That is his appeal, along with speed.

Joel
08-20-2012, 07:53 PM
He was one of the best PR in the nation last year in college. That is his appeal, along with speed.
Fair enough, as long as we were considering him on that basis, not his Olympic performance. Bob Hayes set the standard for Olympic track stars attempting NFL transitions: The fastest man alive is useless if he can't catch. They might have better luck as DBs, but that requires staying with ones man, even if it permits hands like Flippers. Oh, well; the Pats have Demps now, so that's that.