PDA

View Full Version : Camp reports here?

Kaylore
07-31-2009, 01:34 PM
The Orange Mane is too crowded right now and I need to get some camp reports up. If they don't get that sorted out, would you mind me posting my reports here?

claymore
07-31-2009, 01:36 PM
Do it dude.

underrated29
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
The Orange Mane is too crowded right now and I need to get some camp reports up. If they don't get that sorted out, would you mind me posting my reports here?

Mind?!?

You ******* better!

ps- like every year. Thanks for doing this.

**PSS- Tell socal and everyone else we would love to see their reports here too.

Kaylore
07-31-2009, 01:38 PM
Let me give Taco time to clear up traffic. Otherwise I'll post it. It's half written.

EDIT: I see topscripe high fived me so I'll take that as his endorsement.

topscribe
07-31-2009, 01:40 PM
It is a true honor to see the Khan here. I wish you would come around more often.

Your reports have always been outstanding. Would you please post them here?

- ts

-----

Tned
07-31-2009, 01:45 PM

Not only no, but hell no, in terms of minding. We would LOVE to have you post them here and on the Mane.

I've been waiting for it to pop up over on the Mane.

underrated29
07-31-2009, 01:55 PM
I am not over at the mane. But man

I am all ansey in pantsy. Love the kay/socal reports. I know you are doing it right and waiting for things to calm down but......:ridinghorse::ridinghorse:

lets gooooooooooooo

UnderArmour
07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
The reason I registered a Mane account. You rule.

Jaws
07-31-2009, 02:07 PM
Would absolutely love to read your report here :D

Kaylore
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
They did get the forum working but I'm not a tease and so I'll leave some good stuff here. :)

http://www.orangemane.com/BB/showthread.php?t=82458
Given the radically different nature of the entire practice, I want to focus more on general differences between how practice is run now versus how Shanahan ran things. We of course will do the usual player report, but I think the differing drills and whatnot will be of interest. Let me also say that with general enthusiasm for the team way down, as well as practice being held on the field closest to the fans, this is a great time to attend camp yourself. Often the fans had a better view of the action than we did as we were relegated to defensive drills and the quarterbacks and scrimmaging was held on the far field with media much more limited than before. That said, let’s get this thing going.

I told Oskie that if had to describe the practice in a brief statement I would use the term “situational football.” Every practice and drill was highlighting a situation that the coaches tried to recreate to help the players not just learn their skill but have context to the drills.
Those who attended know that the first major factor of the practices was they pumped music into the warm up periods. The team captains are allowed to select the playlists of their choice. I personally enjoyed u2’s “Where the streets have no name” but there was a pretty good variety. Practices were also full pads and full contact for almost all of the drills. There is clearly and emphasis on toughening up this team.

Another major change is under Shanahan the team took about two minutes to stretch. This year the entire warm up period took almost fifteen minutes. They started by having the entire team jog, high step and do other movement exercises back and forth half the field to loosen them up. Then the stretching commenced with the offense facing toward the defense. The actual stretching was much longer as well. I remind you that the team frequently led the league in soft tissue injuries under Shanahan. I don’t know if this will help, but I certainly made keeping the players limber a priority.

Rather than breaking into individual units and working on general skills, the players were separated out into situational drills throughout the practice. Linebackers spent a lot of time working with the defensive linemen on their gaps and drop backs. Mediator will be thrilled to hear the defensive line is finally working on get-off-the-ball drills. They spent a good 12 minutes on those drills alone. I was able to stand five feet from defensive line coach Wayne Nunnely as he worked with this unit. They spent time watching the ball and attacking the sled. Nolan came over and personally saw the drills of the defensive line on the big sled. During this period Everette Pedescleux (pronounced Petis-clow) drew high praise for staying low and exploding out of his stance, while Javon Parker was taught to keep his legs wider so his head didn’t slouch down. There was a big push for increased tenacity and effort. Several coach’s were yelling “Come on! Hit him!” and the players began to increase their intensity.

The front seven in general had some standouts, the first being Tim Crowder. Let me just say that I thought the idea of Crowder at linebacker to be disinformation at best and a joke at worst. Not only is Crowder light on his feet, but he is explosive out of his stance. He looks completely comfortable at the position. I was able to talk to Crowder after the practice and I’ll post the audio from that in a little bit. Suffice to say he is a pleasant surprise.

The other positive on the front seven is Andra Davis. He plays very physically and does a good job fighting through traffic. Dumervil is playing the joker role particularly on passing downs. There were a few plays where they had him and whoever was the DE on the play stunt inside. They would also drop him back into coverage on a number of plays as well.

Overall the experience was positive. The coaches are teachers that teach situational football. One of my favorite drills was the receivers against the safeties. The receivers run the ball cradled and have to make the safety miss by juking or doing whatever. This is great open-field practice forgetting (or eliminating) yards after the catch. I remember when Marshall was matched up on Josh Barrett he just kind of flung his arm and almost knocked him off his feet. Marshall is so big it's almost pathetic seeing some of these DB's try and take him down.

The big surprise was Torain. He really impressed. He was explosive in traffic and elusive in space. He was garnering several cheers. Hillis took the majority of his reps in short yardage situations where they would run Iso plays and he'd average about 3-4 yards.

Nolan puts a big emphasis on gap-integrity. He was constantly in people's ears about being where they needed to be and sticking with their assignment. The players really like their staff and I have a few audio quotes that you guys will like including: Tom Crowder, Chris Simms, Eddie Royal, DJ Williams, and an Orangemane exclusive with Spencer Larsen!

There is some I didn't post that's on the thread, but this should give you guys something!

SoCalImport
07-31-2009, 02:42 PM
Great stuff. Thanks, Man.

topscribe
07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks, Khan.

I am really jealous that the Mane is your first board. But to have you here as
often as we do is better than not at all.

I'm going over to the Mane to read the rest of it. http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh256/AZDynamics/Smilies/thdrink.gif

-----

TXBRONC
07-31-2009, 02:50 PM

Heck no, I don't mind and I'm pretty sure no one else will either. :beer:

broncofaninfla
07-31-2009, 03:04 PM
You rock, great read!!!

T.K.O.
07-31-2009, 03:54 PM
great info thanx !
its awesome to hear that torain is doing well....lookout knowshon dont get too greedy or you'll be ridin the pine while torain busts out a 1500+yd season:salute:

weazel
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
sounds high energy, gets me a little excited.

Reidman
07-31-2009, 04:33 PM
Awesome report Khan!

I'm stoked more than ever to go to the week2 preseason game against Seattle...

I really hope Marshall and the Broncos are able to work something out, he is a beast of a receiver...
also sounds like intensity is up, that's good to hear..

Look forward to hearing more!

gobroncsnv
07-31-2009, 09:37 PM
Hot dern... GOOD stuff. Thanks, K... Your name is now Legend.

GEM
08-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Alright so I'm a bit confused. I've heard nothing but good things on Crowder so far this pre season. I'm driving home and Sandy on 104.3 TheFan says he wouldn't doubt if Moss, Crowder and Thomas get cut when it comes time. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

I've heard nothing good on Thomas...just that he's been an out of shape blob out there. Moss I'd given up on long ago.

My dad went today and said he was surprised by Orton. He really didn't expect much from him but was pleasantly surprised.

broncofaninfla
08-03-2009, 07:52 PM
Alright so I'm a bit confused. I've heard nothing but good things on Crowder so far this pre season. I'm driving home and Sandy on 104.3 TheFan says he wouldn't doubt if Moss, Crowder and Thomas get cut when it comes time. Anyone have any thoughts on this??

I've heard nothing good on Thomas...just that he's been an out of shape blob out there. Moss I'd given up on long ago.

My dad went today and said he was surprised by Orton. He really didn't expect much from him but was pleasantly surprised.

Everything I have read to date on Crowder indicates he is our best OLB so far in camp and Thomas is looking good at DE. Moss......well...is Moss.:beer:

Tned
08-03-2009, 08:44 PM

I was listening to one of the stations this morning (I think AM 1510), and they also said that Crowder is still on the bubble for making the roster.

rationalfan
08-03-2009, 09:00 PM
don't believe everything you hear on the radio. there's a huge gap between radio reporters with good sources and radio reporters who simply say things to fill the air time.

the same could be said for print journalists or TV reporters, but it takes so much less skill, drive and determination to break into radio. often, the people running the boards or on the air are not too far removed from interns (or actually are interns).