PDA

View Full Version : Cutler delievered, the defense didn't.

LoyalSoldier
10-30-2007, 01:21 AM
I am actually rather impressed with Cutler as he seems to deliver in crunch time.

The defense was the disappointment tonight. Again we played 8 in the box and played a lot of man defense. We got beat deep as a result of that. Also having Champ just coming back from an injury didn't help much.

I would say this team would be much better if it weren't for all the defensive problems and the injuries. Because the offense is showing us they can produce.

gobroncsnv
10-30-2007, 01:31 AM
He still needs to get cleanly away with a snap, and out of the way of the oline on a pull. Not saying the loss is on him, everybody gets a piece of this one. Wish we would just try more passes for TD's, our runs just look all disorganized in the red zone.
We showed some resilience in the comeback, but we should have gotten the TD and never let it go to ot. Play calling needs some work, we just didn't give ourselves enough chances at the end with a winning call.

lex
10-30-2007, 01:36 AM
They need to let him keep throwing. Id like to see more shots down field.

Stargazer
10-30-2007, 01:36 AM
Cutler, once again continues to deliver. It's the defense that consistently fails.

Stargazer
10-30-2007, 01:39 AM
They need to let him keep throwing. Id like to see more shots down field.

Javon Walker being out has killed that idea and the Bronco coaches are now scared to attack 20+ yards.

sneakers
10-30-2007, 01:52 AM
I am actually rather impressed with Cutler as he seems to deliver in crunch time.

The defense was the disappointment tonight. Again we played 8 in the box and played a lot of man defense. We got beat deep as a result of that. Also having Champ just coming back from an injury didn't help much.

I would say this team would be much better if it weren't for all the defensive problems and the injuries. Because the offense is showing us they can produce.

Now you will see every team go deep against us...I didn't think the defense did too poorly considering how they were 3 or 4 games ago.

LoyalSoldier
10-30-2007, 03:48 AM
Now you will see every team go deep against us...I didn't think the defense did too poorly considering how they were 3 or 4 games ago.

We had the same problem against SD if you remember. We would stack the box in fear of the run and Rivers had easy pickings down field. Our pass defense isn't this bad when we are scared out of minds of the run. That is the key problem this year.

sneakers
10-30-2007, 04:12 AM
We had the same problem against SD if you remember. We would stack the box in fear of the run and Rivers had easy pickings down field. Our pass defense isn't this bad when we are scared out of minds of the run. That is the key problem this year.

But our two good corners should be good enought to cover 1-on-1 most of the time. What good is having a great corner if you can't rely on him to cover 1-on-1 so that you can free up a safety to help with the run. If have to always use our safetys to help out the corners, we should have kept Portis and still have Willie Meadowbrooks and Lenny Walls back there.

Tned
10-30-2007, 07:55 AM

The defense held Green Bay to 13 points through 4 quarters and got Jay the ball back with over two minutes on the clock to win it. Green Bay had been averaging about 24 points a game, and the Broncos held them to 10 points less than that through the end of regulation.

The defense may have looked bad at times, and gave up two long TDs, when Champ was burned and when Bly was burned, but the defense did do it's job. If one phase of the game has to be blamed, than it is clearly on the offenses shoulder. Between three holding penalties when they were on the five yard line, and not being able to score at the end of the second half, the offense was given a chance to win it and couldn't.

Mike
10-30-2007, 08:35 AM
The person who didn't deliver was Shanahan. Playcalling lost this game for Denver. Coaching not-to-lose makes me sick. I was absolutely disgusted. :mad2:

Requiem / The Dagda
10-30-2007, 08:36 AM
I'd say the consistent penalties and stupid mistakes (fumble) ruined this game.

omac
10-30-2007, 08:56 AM
Blame? Why not both teams played hard, and GB won a close one in overtime?

From what I've read, this was a winnable game. There were mistakes and a turnover, but the offense and the defense kept it close. If I'm not mistaken, they took the field goal instead of attempting another shot at a touchdown, because they had no timeouts left.

If there were no timeouts left, any completed pass not in the endzone would keep the clock running, and it would be pretty risky to try to rush the fieldgoal unit in with very little time.

Also, GB knows Denver has no timeouts left, so all they have to do is conver the endzone and try to get picks. If Denver throws short and the receiver is tackled inbounds, the clock just keeps running.

Denver forcing one more play without timeouts gives GB several chances to hold on to a 3 point lead and clinch the game. By going for the fieldgoal, Denver gets a chance to win the game in overtime. Who's to say if Denver won the coin-flip that they wouldn't have scored at least a field goal on their first drive? They did it on their last drive. I'm pretty sure Mikey was confident that the offense could score in overtime if they got the chance.

Anyway, I'll try and find a way to watch the game for myself. I'm curious to see if Green Bay's defense, specially their corners, did a great job on our receivers.

LawDog
10-30-2007, 09:10 AM
The second down pass to Marshall that was thrown too far behind the receiver, who had position on the defender. The goofy QB rushing play on third down was pretty odd, and poorly executed. Sure we had no timeouts, but another passing play would have been a better choice - if the play isn't there in the first couple of seconds, throw it out the back of the endzone and stop the clock. Kick the FG on fourth as a last result. Bad strategy to end regulation, bad coaching, we should have won this game, pure and simple.

arapaho2
10-30-2007, 10:41 AM
The defense held Green Bay to 13 points through 4 quarters and got Jay the ball back with over two minutes on the clock to win it. Green Bay had been averaging about 24 points a game, and the Broncos held them to 10 points less than that through the end of regulation.

The defense may have looked bad at times, and gave up two long TDs, when Champ was burned and when Bly was burned, but the defense did do it's job. If one phase of the game has to be blamed, than it is clearly on the offenses shoulder. Between three holding penalties when they were on the five yard line, and not being able to score at the end of the second half, the offense was given a chance to win it and couldn't.

giveing up 430 yards of offense is not good, we also need to look at why champ and bly left peices of burnt toast on the field....they have to play one on one...and despite being the best tandum in the league if you play eight in box just to give your self a smithering of a chance to stop the run, even those two left on an island will get burnt sometimes when you cannot get any sort of pressure on the qb despite the load against the line...the playaction killed us because we are so worried about the run
another thing i noticed was the biggest runs came from the right side where simion was in bates fashion lined up wide and the stretch handoff went right in the hole over an over

and holding GB to 13 points was still a left over from last season bend but dont break...let the team easily run down the field then stiffen in the goal line...so despite holding them it really wasnt the defense on both of greenbays field goals after easily walking down the field penalties stopped them more then the broncos did, i recall one third and goal where favre just missed a wide open guy that would have been six...with no defender within 3 yards

Tned
10-30-2007, 12:53 PM
giveing up 430 yards of offense is not good, we also need to look at why champ and bly left peices of burnt toast on the field....they have to play one on one...and despite being the best tandum in the league if you play eight in box just to give your self a smithering of a chance to stop the run, even those two left on an island will get burnt sometimes when you cannot get any sort of pressure on the qb despite the load against the line...the playaction killed us because we are so worried about the run
another thing i noticed was the biggest runs came from the right side where simion was in bates fashion lined up wide and the stretch handoff went right in the hole over an over

and holding GB to 13 points was still a left over from last season bend but dont break...let the team easily run down the field then stiffen in the goal line...so despite holding them it really wasnt the defense on both of greenbays field goals after easily walking down the field penalties stopped them more then the broncos did, i recall one third and goal where favre just missed a wide open guy that would have been six...with no defender within 3 yards

Those are all good points, but there is no way to blame the defense for a loss when they hold the other team to 13 points through the end of regulation and the offense fumbles on the one yard line and has the ball on the 5 yard line at the end of the game.

I'm not sure that blaming any unit makes sense, but since the OP put the blame on the defesnse, I pointed out the flaws in that logic.

LoyalSoldier
10-30-2007, 01:05 PM

When crunch time came which unit produced? The offense marched down the field and tied the game to send it into overtime and yet the defense blew it on the first play of OT. That is what I am talking about.

Tned
10-30-2007, 01:27 PM
When crunch time came which unit produced? The offense marched down the field and tied the game to send it into overtime and yet the defense blew it on the first play of OT. That is what I am talking about.

That's a bit of revionist history. Which unit got the ball back for the offense to give them an opportunity to march down the field and not score the TD, but instead tie the game with a field goal?

Skinny
10-30-2007, 01:28 PM
The offense had a golden opportunity to win the game in the final seconds of regulation. We had second down and one at Green Bay's 4-yard line. A incompletion on second down and on third down the quarterback draw fell short of the first down and the field-goal unit had to rush on to kick before time expired. Looking at the game in hindsight, the FG only prolonged the loss. The offense had a chance to win the game but i don't blame them.

I don't blame the defense. I think they did a hell of a job (13points in Reg.)and kept us in the game.

Kudos to GB for making plays and the big one when they needed it.

silkamilkamonico
10-30-2007, 01:31 PM
Cutler has played well, but as the QB of the team he has to find a way to put more then 10 points on the board through 3.5 quarters.

Teams with bad defenses find ways to win on offense, and Denver's offense has yet to do that despite how well the offense has been moving the ball.

Tned
10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
This pretty much sums it up:

"Anytime you're 1-4 in the red zone against a team that's 5-1 and playing pretty well, it's hard to win those types of football games," said Shanahan, now coaching as if he does not completely trust his players.

Lonestar
10-30-2007, 01:35 PM
Jay overall played well seemed to be in another zone when out of the pocket..Jay seemed to be off in a few passes.

Late in the game he had a a lot of folks in his face in the pocket. So I'd guess that the OLINE still needs a lot of work.

Young seems to be a damned fine RB and we may not miss Thenry a lot when he goes away on a Goodell vacation..

Marshal is a stud reminds me more of Sharpe than ashley, someone that is hard to take down and can catch anything near him.

Stokely needs a new contract NOW..They need to find the TE's more in the pass patterns.

Pears was totally out matched last night, by a pro bowler probably should have been expected..

All that said we left alot of points in the red zone.. at least 15 I can count.

Now defensively no excuses we lost the LOS battle most of the evening on both sides. Defensively we had NO pressure on Farve and even if he had he is way to good to beat unless he is trying to throw while flat on his back.

We could have won this game, play calling seemed a bit strange and to cutesy if you know what I mean.

If mikey was going to call Marshall to Cutler on a pass route he needs to spend some time in the psych ward. While Jay is a strong guy it make no sense to take chances with him unless someone has a death wish.

LoyalSoldier
10-30-2007, 02:16 PM
That's a bit of revionist history. Which unit got the ball back for the offense to give them an opportunity to march down the field and not score the TD, but instead tie the game with a field goal?

Who let the Packers have the ball for over 6 minutes?

The defense got beat twice for over 80 yards....twice! The offense only had one turnover on a freak play where the offensive linemen fell over into the ball.

TXBRONC
10-30-2007, 02:23 PM

Ooh I think this kind of yes and no. The defense did allow the Packers to march the length of the field to get a score. True it was only a field goal, but part of the reason was the Packers made mistakes down on the goal line.

TXBRONC
10-30-2007, 05:10 PM
The person who didn't deliver was Shanahan. Playcalling lost this game for Denver. Coaching not-to-lose makes me sick. I was absolutely disgusted. :mad2:

Going for if on 4th and 2 deep in your own end takes nerve.

Tned
10-30-2007, 05:16 PM
Ooh I think this kind of yes and no. The defense did allow the Packers to march the length of the field to get a score. True it was only a field goal, but part of the reason was the Packers made mistakes down on the goal line.

Agreed. I'm just saying that when you hold a team that is averaging 24 points a game to 13 points through the end of regulation, and you force that team to punt when they are trying to run the clock out and give the ball back to your offense down by 3 with 2:30 on the clock, you can't lay it all on the defense.

Like Shanny said, you won't win games like that when you are 1-4 in the red zone (scoring TDs).

TXBRONC
10-30-2007, 05:19 PM
Agreed. I'm just saying that when you hold a team that is averaging 24 points a game to 13 points through the end of regulation, and you force that team to punt when they are trying to run the clock out and give the ball back to your offense down by 3 with 2:30 on the clock, you can't lay it all on the defense.

Like Shanny said, you won't win games like that when you are 1-4 in the red zone (scoring TDs).

Fair enough.

NameUsedBefore
10-30-2007, 05:27 PM
I found this game to be deceitful. On two different plays we could've had TD's, but an extremely rare kind of fumble and a ticky-tacky holding penalty on Marshall killed them both. The only times the Packers scored were on long pass plays against our corners who were covering on islands. Two things swing our way and the game could've easily been a Broncos win by at least 7+. Bad luck happens, though. I think this team has enough talent to win more games than people believe.

TXBRONC
10-30-2007, 08:57 PM
I found this game to be deceitful. On two different plays we could've had TD's, but an extremely rare kind of fumble and a ticky-tacky holding penalty on Marshall killed them both. The only times the Packers scored were on long pass plays against our corners who were covering on islands. Two things swing our way and the game could've easily been a Broncos win by at least 7+. Bad luck happens, though. I think this team has enough talent to win more games than people believe.

NUB I think you hit the nail on the head. Unfortunately for our Broncos they didn't do enough the breaks they did have.

broncosfanscott
10-30-2007, 09:12 PM

Well said. Regardless of who you are playing, when you have the ball inside the 5-yard line with a chance to win the game, you have to score a TD. That has been our problem all year and we need to get it fixed ASAP.

TXBRONC
10-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Well said. Regardless of who you are playing, when you have the ball inside the 5-yard line with a chance to win the game, you have to score a TD. That has been our problem all year and we need to get it fixed ASAP.

It sure wouldn't hurt to have Walker and Smith back.

broncosfanscott
10-30-2007, 09:16 PM
It sure wouldn't hurt to have Walker and Smith back.

Yeah, if those two were completly healthy for the whole season we wouldn't be talking about some of the offensive problems we have.

TXBRONC
10-30-2007, 09:37 PM
Yeah, if those two were completly healthy for the whole season we wouldn't be talking about some of the offensive problems we have.

I'm sure you're right.

LoyalSoldier
10-30-2007, 09:48 PM

Actually I think we would still have quite a few of them. Our biggest problem is all the injuries to the offensive line.

omac
10-30-2007, 10:35 PM
"Anytime you're 1-4 in the red zone against a team that's 5-1 and playing pretty well, it's hard to win those types of football games," said Shanahan, now coaching as if he does not completely trust his players.

Whow, talk about a journalist subtly trying to pass off his own opinion as Shanahan's; that's just poor journalism. :D

speardog
10-31-2007, 04:46 AM

I agree. I can't argue with that. The defense has let down every game this year. It's bad when the worst rushing team in the league averages 5+ YPC on the defense.

rcsodak
10-31-2007, 07:16 AM
I don't know WHAT you're all talking about!

And neither does Ian Gold!

"I thought we did a good job stopping the run all day long," said linebacker Ian Gold, Jennings' cousin. "We just have to shore up the pass."

did somebody get a concussion and not tell us?

jhns
10-31-2007, 11:20 AM
THe only thing I don't get about the statement in the thread title is that the offense only scored 13 points... How exactly is that the offense doing their job but the defense not doing theirs? The defense held GB to 13 points in regulation. I think a fair case could be made that the offense was the biggest problem this game. Granted it was all the defense that let us down in overtime. I would say a defense is playing good when they hold an offense to 13 through 4 quarters.

TXBRONC
10-31-2007, 06:57 PM
THe only thing I don't get about the statement in the thread title is that the offense only scored 13 points... How exactly is that the offense doing their job but the defense not doing theirs? The defense held GB to 13 points in regulation. I think a fair case could be made that the offense was the biggest problem this game. Granted it was all the defense that let us down in overtime. I would say a defense is playing good when they hold an offense to 13 through 4 quarters.

How about the fact that we are dead last in terms of starting field position. When we scored 31 the week before we were getting very good field position. If not mistaken every one of Denver's scoring drives started around their own 20. The defense has to their job help get them better field position.

Krugan
10-31-2007, 09:26 PM
I really want to blame this loss on the defense, I do, but I cant.

People claim this offense has done its job, but it hasnt.

13 points, is not getting the job done. Yea there where defensive breakdowns, and there will be more, but the did the job keeping the scoring for 60 minutes to 13.

The O managed a killer 3 points on 2 trips inside the 5. The D held the packers to 6 points on 2 trip inside the 5.

Yep all on the D.

What do people want? This team to go out and shut everyone out so our craptastic offense can get by with 13 point wins.

rcsodak
10-31-2007, 11:04 PM

13 points, is not getting the job done. Yea there where defensive breakdowns, and there will be more, but the did the job keeping the scoring for 60 minutes to 13.

The O managed a killer 3 points on 2 trips inside the 5. The D held the packers to 6 points on 2 trip inside the 5.

Yep all on the D.

What do people want? This team to go out and shut everyone out so our craptastic offense can get by with 13 point wins.

Careful, krug.....

...you'll upset the ravens fans..... :rolleyes:

omac
11-01-2007, 01:18 AM
Nothing happens in a vacuum.

In 5 of GB's 7 games, they've held their opponent to 16 or less points. This is a pretty good defense.

Also, GB's scored 35 and 31 points against stronger defensive teams (NYG and SD) than Denver, so they're also pretty good at scoring.

The game was close; Denver had a chance to win. Denver's defense stopped TDs and forced FGs instead, while the offense was able to rally a comeback from the 7 yard line in the waning moments to tie the game and send it to overtime. They didn't crumble under pressure. GB just beat them.

Get used to it. This season, the close games are the ones we'll have a chance to win, and this was a pretty good one.

broncosfanscott
11-01-2007, 02:27 AM
Actually I think we would still have quite a few of them. Our biggest problem is all the injuries to the offensive line.

You're probably right, Hamilton and Nalen are two big losses.

Tned
11-01-2007, 06:35 AM

Yep all on the D.

This has been my point as well. I am not saying we have the next incarnation of the Orange Crush defense. We all know this defense has been giving up big running yards and other big plays.

However, they did what needed to be done to win the game. They held Green Bay, a team that averages 24 points a game, to 13 points through regulation, and forced a punt when Green Bay was trying to run the clock out at the end of the game, and gave the Offense the ball back with 2:30 or so.

Take away Bailey being burned for a 79 yard or so TD early in the game (that only happens a couple times a year) and the game is even closer.

You have to separate your knowledge of how bad the defense has been from what it actually did. Against Green Bay, they got the job done, plain and simple.

The offense dropped the ball, figuratively and literally.

Poet
11-01-2007, 06:37 AM
The Broncos would be so much better off if they had a healthy Javon Walker. Cutler is putting up some nice numbers without a real number one WR, heck while I do not mean to insult your team I could argue that you don't have a real number two yet. I am not the biggest fan of Jay Cutler, but for the most part I think he played well. I also don't think that the fumble in the red zone was his fault at all. Sure he didn't get the ball out of there extremely quickly, but who expects to have the ball knocked out of your hands by your own lineman literally?

Tned
11-01-2007, 06:40 AM

In 5 of GB's 7 games, they've held their opponent to 16 or less points. This is a pretty good defense.

Also, GB's scored 35 and 31 points against stronger defensive teams (NYG and SD) than Denver, so they're also pretty good at scoring.

The game was close; Denver had a chance to win. Denver's defense stopped TDs and forced FGs instead, while the offense was able to rally a comeback from the 7 yard line in the waning moments to tie the game and send it to overtime. They didn't crumble under pressure. GB just beat them.

Get used to it. This season, the close games are the ones we'll have a chance to win, and this was a pretty good one.

Well said.

TXBRONC
11-01-2007, 07:18 AM

I agree with everything you're saying. I do think however, that when you look at this game, it is fair to say that it was the defense that let us down in the end.

That being said it's now Thursday and its time to start thinking about the Lions.

Tned
11-01-2007, 07:27 AM
I agree with everything you're saying. I do think however, that when you look at this game, it is fair to say that it was the defense that let us down in the end.

That being said it's now Thursday and its time to start thinking about the Lions.

I agree with moving on to the Lions, but... :D

How could the defense have been the unit that let us down in the end, when they forced a punt at the end of regulation and gave the offense a chance to score?

Of course, you might be talking about OT, and obviously, that wasn't the way people would have liked to see the first drive/play of OT to go.

However, here is food for thought. I was in the car for a while last night, and was listening to Sirius NFL Radio. They were talking about that game, and said that Favre stated that the two throws (burning Bly and Bailey) were possibly the two best throws he has EVER made. Solomon Wlcox and Adam Schein were talking about that, and started recounting some of his 'big' throws, and ultimately agreed with Favre. They were talking about some of this 'big' throws in the past which often were throw ups letting a receiver fight for it, or making a great throw that the receiver got to, but was then tackled, but to make those two throws both 100% perfect, where the receivers were able to keep running and run under the ball and catch it, was what made them so great.

If the first ball had been the least bit underthrown, where the receiver had to slow down for it, Champ probably knocks it away or intercepts it. On the Bly throw, if it had been the least bit underthrown or became a typical Favre 'jump ball' then at minimum, Bly would have been able to immediately tackle the receiver (Jones??).

The point is. The defense gave up two long TDs, which is terrible. On the other hand, they almost completely shut down the scoring outside of those two long TDs (only one of which was in regulation) and according to Favre, those were two of the finest passes he has ever made in his WHOLE career.

TXBRONC
11-01-2007, 01:04 PM
I agree with moving on to the Lions, but... :D

How could the defense have been the unit that let us down in the end, when they forced a punt at the end of regulation and gave the offense a chance to score?

Of course, you might be talking about OT, and obviously, that wasn't the way people would have liked to see the first drive/play of OT to go.

However, here is food for thought. I was in the car for a while last night, and was listening to Sirius NFL Radio. They were talking about that game, and said that Favre stated that the two throws (burning Bly and Bailey) were possibly the two best throws he has EVER made. Solomon Wlcox and Adam Schein were talking about that, and started recounting some of his 'big' throws, and ultimately agreed with Favre. They were talking about some of this 'big' throws in the past which often were throw ups letting a receiver fight for it, or making a great throw that the receiver got to, but was then tackled, but to make those two throws both 100% perfect, where the receivers were able to keep running and run under the ball and catch it, was what made them so great.

If the first ball had been the least bit underthrown, where the receiver had to slow down for it, Champ probably knocks it away or intercepts it. On the Bly throw, if it had been the least bit underthrown or became a typical Favre 'jump ball' then at minimum, Bly would have been able to immediately tackle the receiver (Jones??).

The point is. The defense gave up two long TDs, which is terrible. On the other hand, they almost completely shut down the scoring outside of those two long TDs (only one of which was in regulation) and according to Favre, those were two of the finest passes he has ever made in his WHOLE career.

How could they? While ideally would having the offense to score the go ahead touchdown at the end of regulation is best however getting it to a tie score still gives you a chance to win the only differece (assuming you lose the coin toss in OT) is the defense has to get one more stop. Now we're in overtime the Packers have the ball and on one play game over. That's what I mean by the end of the game, at the same time I don't want let the offense completely off the hook.

omac
11-01-2007, 01:34 PM
I think Favre saying those 2 throws were the best of his career is just Favre being classy. Truth is, he burned "the 2 best corners of the league" when it counted the most, but he wasn't gonna rub it in Bailey's & Bly's faces. Whole lot of class there.

To Bailey and Bly .....

"Now, when we fought, you had that eye of the tiger, man; the edge! And now you gotta get it back, and the way to get it back is to go back to the beginning. You know what I mean?"

"See that look in their eyes, Rock? You gotta get that look back, Rock. Eye of the tiger, man." :D

TXBRONC
11-01-2007, 01:40 PM
I think Favre saying those 2 throws were the best of his career is just Favre being classy. Truth is, he burned "the 2 best corners of the league" when it counted the most, but he wasn't gonna rub it in Bailey's & Bly's faces. Whole lot of class there.

To Bailey and Bly .....

"Now, when we fought, you had that eye of the tiger, man; the edge! And now you gotta get it back, and the way to get it back is to go back to the beginning. You know what I mean?"

"See that look in their eyes, Rock? You gotta get that look back, Rock. Eye of the tiger, man." :D

Yoo Adrian you wanna play football or somethin. :laugh:

omac
11-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Yoo Adrian you wanna play football or somethin. :laugh:

"I pity the fool, and I will destroy any man who tries to take what I got!" :D

broncosfanscott
11-01-2007, 05:06 PM

To Bailey and Bly .....

Too dam funny on those Rocky quotes. :laugh:

LoyalSoldier
11-01-2007, 05:51 PM

The offense did score. The offense could have done a little better, but the defense couldn't have done any worse in OT. If it was an 8 play drive that led to a field goal that won the game for the Packers that wouldn't be so bad, but that was the worst case scenario. There wasn't anything worse that could happen.

The offense did its job in at least extending the game.

Tned
11-01-2007, 06:51 PM
How could they? While ideally would having the offense to score the go ahead touchdown at the end of regulation is best however getting it to a tie score still gives you a chance to win the only differece (assuming you lose the coin toss in OT) is the defense has to get one more stop. Now we're in overtime the Packers have the ball and on one play game over. That's what I mean by the end of the game, at the same time I don't want let the offense completely off the hook.

No question the one pass and game over in OT sucked, but that kind of thing happens against any team. I don't think the defense can be judged on that, just like the offense shouldn't be blamed only for their failure to win the game when given a chance.

I just hope there are more games where the offense only has to score 14 to win, because while the defense kept the Broncos in the game on Monday, they are not a 13 points a game defense.

Tned
11-01-2007, 06:53 PM
The offense did score. The offense could have done a little better, but the defense couldn't have done any worse in OT. If it was an 8 play drive that led to a field goal that won the game for the Packers that wouldn't be so bad, but that was the worst case scenario. There wasn't anything worse that could happen.

The offense did its job in at least extending the game.

That's the slipperly slope.

The minute you say the offense did their job by extending the game, is when you then have to say the defense did their job by forcing the punt with 2:30 to go when the Packers were trying to run out the clock, thereby extending the game and giving the offense a chance to score...

Medford Bronco
11-01-2007, 06:58 PM
I dont think Cutler was that great in this game

he was okay but the bottom line was 13 points
and that needs to increase if they want any chance in this
game vs Det.

I still think the Defense was average in this game. They could not get off the field and were lucky iMO to only give up 19 pts

on the road, they will not be as lucky if they cant stop 3rd down conversions

I hope I am wrong but do not have a good feeling at all. :sad:

TXBRONC
11-01-2007, 07:46 PM
No question the one pass and game over in OT sucked, but that kind of thing happens against any team. I don't think the defense can be judged on that, just like the offense shouldn't be blamed only for their failure to win the game when given a chance.

I just hope there are more games where the offense only has to score 14 to win, because while the defense kept the Broncos in the game on Monday, they are not a 13 points a game defense.

I'm still hopeful that with way the offense can move the ball that sometime soon they will break out start putting up some points. Of coarse a little better play from the other two facets of the game wouldn't hurt either.

LoyalSoldier
11-01-2007, 11:26 PM
That's the slipperly slope.

The minute you say the offense did their job by extending the game, is when you then have to say the defense did their job by forcing the punt with 2:30 to go when the Packers were trying to run out the clock, thereby extending the game and giving the offense a chance to score...

The defense was entirely lucky to get off the field. It had already given up a 3-9 and well over 6 minutes on the clock(That is more than a third of the quarter). They had several chances to stop them. If I remember too one of the Packers runs that allowed them to get off the field was one where the RB tripped. Not to mention the field position they left the offense was horrible (Den 7). So really the defense did the bare minimum.

Besides it doesn't matter what the defense did earlier in the game. It blew it when it counted. If I only do half of my job it isn't doing my job now is it?

The offense's primary job late in the game was to get into field goal range so they can tie the game, the secondary objective was to score a TD
The defense's primary job in OT was not to let them score period.

frenchfan
11-02-2007, 02:03 AM
I dont think Cutler was that great in this game

he was okay but the bottom line was 13 points
and that needs to increase if they want any chance in this
game vs Det.

I still think the Defense was average in this game. They could not get off the field and were lucky iMO to only give up 19 pts

on the road, they will not be as lucky if they cant stop 3rd down conversions

I hope I am wrong but do not have a good feeling at all. :sad:I somehow agree with you on some parts...

Jay had a good game and showed how great he can be... Now, I'm really mad at the last throw he made with 30 seconds to play... This should have been a TD... Marshall was opened but that was a really bad throw... I think Jay is sometimes over confident about his arm... (just like a Favre BTW)... He also can thank Stokley for avoiding an Int.
But overall, I think Jay managed well the game...
I can't understand why we can't score more points !
Fumbles? Lack of powerful running game? Bad calls? Penalties? Discipline?

About our D... Well... Our DL is really awful... Even the Packers can run on our D... And Favre is still Favre... He can burn the best CBs... And we didn't pressure him all the game ! Think about this : Favre was 11-12 (or 12-13) in the 2nd half ! Where was our D?

Our Special teams were not so bad...

This is a game we could have won... But bad D and non scoring offense killed us again...

champ24girl
11-02-2007, 04:27 PM
I can't agree. The offense not capitalizing when they had the chance (fumble on the one!) is why we lost to the Pack. The defense wasn't great but we had to score when we had the opportunity - I'm thinking of two drives that we ended by scoring 3 points when we should have scored 14.

TXBRONC
11-02-2007, 07:18 PM
I can't agree. The offense not capitalizing when they had the chance (fumble on the one!) is why we lost to the Pack. The defense wasn't great but we had to score when we had the opportunity - I'm thinking of two drives that we ended by scoring 3 points when we should have scored 14.

And the defense had an opportunity to stop the Packers in O.T. and didn't. Also while we did fail to score at the one the defense did allow the Packers to march almost the entire length of the field for a score. Albeit a field goal but that's a lot time to take off the clock.