View Full Version : Kiszla: The best Broncos jersey? Try this

BroncoTech
07-31-2009, 04:23 AM
Kiszla: The best Broncos jersey? Try this
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12954929
Posted: 07/31/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 07/31/2009 02:15:45 AM MDT

Eddie Royal has it all big-play ability, great stats as a rookie and a humble spirit to be a Broncos fan's favorite. (Steve Nehf, The Denver Post)

What will the smartly dressed Broncomaniac be wearing to training camp this summer? The economy is in turmoil. The local NFL team is in transition. If you can scrape together $79.99 for a replica jersey, which Denver player is worth banking on?

Here's a guide for buyers. Spend wisely:

Kyle Orton, No. 8: No, no, no. A thousand times no.

Orton will do just fine as the Broncos' quarterback in 2009. But anyone who thinks he is the long-term solution probably also has the jerseys of Bubby Brister, Brian Griese and Jake Plummer hanging together in a dark corner of the closet.

Investing your heart in any Denver QB is akin to buying a pair of Crocs. It might seem cool at the time, but in a couple of years you're going to look silly.

Brandon Marshall, No. 15: Walk into training camp dressed in orange flip-flops, blue shorts and a Marshall uni at your own risk. Before you pass through the gates, here's betting you get busted by Stacy London from "What Not to Wear."

Listen, if you're a die-hard supporter of the mopey Denver receiver, at least show a little originality by making a protest T-shirt that proclaims: "Free B-Marsh."

And if you must wear No. 15, spend a little extra cash to customize the jersey with a message hinting which direction the Broncos should go in the 2010 draft, by adding this name on the back: "Tebow."

Champ Bailey, No. 24: He's the best player on the team, hands down, so he must be the safe pick.

Don't be so sure.

Should the Broncos suffer through a season of double-digit losses while rebuilding, they would be foolish not to move Bailey before the 31-year-old cornerback gets too old to be a perennial Pro Bowler and loses his trade value.

Knowshon Moreno, No. 27: Has any Broncos draft choice of the past 20 years been destined to receive more critical scrutiny? All Moreno must do is prove that rookie coach Josh McDaniels actually knows what he's doing when it comes to evaluating Denver Broncos talent.

Here's thinking Moreno and Ryan Clady will give McDaniels two pieces on offense that are truly built to last.

Terrell Davis, No. 30: Tell you what, if you love Davis, do more than wear a tribute to the one man most responsible for those Super Bowl victories. Write a letter to Broncos owner Pat Bowlen and tell him the time is now to retire TD's number.

Brian Dawkins, No. 20: In the Not For Long, a 35-year-old safety is a shaky investment. On a leaky Denver defense, Dawkins is a patch — a strong patch, but a patch. What's more, no matter how well he plays, Dawkins will forever be reminded by grumpy old Broncomaniacs that he is not Steve Atwater or Dennis Smith.

John Elway, No. 7: Now here's a choice that is definitely classy. It's timeless. And it indicates the last new song on the radio you probably liked was Prince's "1999" — not to suggest you're hopelessly stuck in the past or anything.

D.J. Williams, No. 55: Williams is a player whose NFL career is at the crossroads of awesome athleticism and unfulfilled potential. And why do I have this nagging fear that wearing No. 55 might haunt a fan about the number of points thisDenver defense surrenders against Peyton Manning and the Indianapolis Colts?

Jay Cutler, No. 6: Now here's a jersey available for 29 bucks (or less) in bargain bins everywhere. Just don't wear it anywhere near Chicago Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher. He might call you a wimp. Or worse.

Eddie Royal, No. 19: The winner.

No. 19 is humble. He makes plays in the clutch. His work ethic never cheats the fan. He brings honor to the tradition of every Broncos hero from Randy Gradishar to Rod Smith.

Royal is the man who would be king in a new era of success for the Broncos.

Dirk
07-31-2009, 05:05 AM
Neat little article.

I am not buying another jersey with a name on it. I thought Cutler was a sure thing.....

SoCalImport
07-31-2009, 06:42 AM
I don't think I'd buy anything but throwback jerseys at this point anyway.

Dirk
07-31-2009, 06:49 AM
I don't think I'd buy anything but throwback jerseys at this point anyway.

I still have my Orange Elway jersey...that's throwback enough for me. :D

Shazam!
07-31-2009, 08:35 AM
I won't by more jerseys from current Broncos players ever again.

MasterShake
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
I won't by more jerseys from current Broncos players ever again.

i love my authentic Jersey that has my last name on it. This team will never lose me to a trade or free agency as a fan, so it was a good choice. I decided last year its kind of weird to wear another man's name on your back anyway. :lol:

I'll always have favorite players, but I gotta take a team fan mentality especially since I don't recognize a lot of my team this year.

Traveler
07-31-2009, 10:55 AM
I have a Brandon Jersey. I can keep it even if he does get traded because we share the same last name. In one of the few times I agree with Shazam, I probably won't ever buy another jersey with current players.

Overtime
07-31-2009, 11:47 AM
Neat little article.

I am not buying another jersey with a name on it. I thought Cutler was a sure thing.....

yep same here, I bought my Cutler jersey for $45 on ebay a few years ago, and I got lucky because it was an authentic jersey with the #'s sewn on and everything. I'd be hard pressed to find a similar jersey of another number for that price.

damn you Butthurtler. :mad:

I still have my Orange Elway jersey...that's throwback enough for me. :D

I still have both of my John Elway jerseys.

i love my authentic Jersey that has my last name on it. This team will never lose me to a trade or free agency as a fan, so it was a good choice. I decided last year its kind of weird to wear another man's name on your back anyway. :lol:

I'll always have favorite players, but I gotta take a team fan mentality especially since I don't recognize a lot of my team this year.

hmmmm...you gave me an idea in regards to my Cutler Jersey...wonder if I can get the name removed from the back and have my last name put on there, so I can at least salvage the jersey.

MasterShake
07-31-2009, 12:30 PM
yep same here, I bought my Cutler jersey for $45 on ebay a few years ago, and I got lucky because it was an authentic jersey with the #'s sewn on and everything. I'd be hard pressed to find a similar jersey of another number for that price.

hmmmm...you gave me an idea in regards to my Cutler Jersey...wonder if I can get the name removed from the back and have my last name put on there, so I can at least salvage the jersey.

I've thought the same thing with my Cutler Jersey too (another authentic :shocked:). From what I can tell, you can find replacement numbers and nameplates (the fabric on the back with the name sewn on) but I have no sewing skills to speak of. Might be worth a trip to a garment place to check it out.
Heres the listing for the letters and numbers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Letter-Number-Kit-For-Denver-Broncos-Jersey_W0QQitemZ380137928378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item5881fc76ba&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_1072wt_1167

nevcraw
07-31-2009, 01:27 PM
I have never bought a jersey.. never been my thing.. but If I did - it would have to to be Hillis... maybe too early but if that guy doesn't reak of of big play, ton o fire, and hillbilly swagger mixed with the endearing blue plate / lunch pail guy demeanor..

"Whatchooo Talkin' Bout Hillis"

Overtime
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
I've thought the same thing with my Cutler Jersey too (another authentic :shocked:). From what I can tell, you can find replacement numbers and nameplates (the fabric on the back with the name sewn on) but I have no sewing skills to speak of. Might be worth a trip to a garment place to check it out.
Heres the listing for the letters and numbers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Authentic-Letter-Number-Kit-For-Denver-Broncos-Jersey_W0QQitemZ380137928378QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_ SM_Fan_Shop?hash=item5881fc76ba&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116#ht_1072wt_1167

Dude that is awesome!! I'm gonna do that with my Cutler jersey!!! Just put my name on the back!!! FTW!!!

:salute::salute::salute:

T.K.O.
07-31-2009, 04:30 PM

you could change it to RUCLET or LUCERT #9

Reidman
07-31-2009, 04:41 PM
Hmmm...surprised not to see Rod Smith's name on that list...

I have Rod Smith, Elway, McCaffery, Al Wilson and Champ Bailey jerseys which I am all proud to own...

The one I'm not so proud of is Ass Lelie but my wife wears that one and I just haven't gotten around to throwing it in the fire...

I was 100% going to buy a Cutler jersey this year since I gave it a few years and figured he'd be around for a while...:rolleyes:

Broncospsycho77
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
I have a nice Jay CutlCOUGH... uh, "Bubby Brister" jersey for sale. Twenty-five bones.

girler
07-31-2009, 06:41 PM
The cool thing though, is any jersey of any past player is always welcome at Mile High. It's not an embarrassment to be seen wearing Wilson or McCafferey or Smith along with all the Elways and Davises out there. Plus there are tons of Plummers and Lynches and even some Henrys and other forgettables.

There are still plenty of old schools there at the games too. I've seen a few Alzedos, Gradishars, Mecklenburgs and I saw a couple Mortons even.

I'm pretty sure even Cutler jerseys will still be welcome at the games this year, though I don't think I'll be showing up in one. :whistle:

EMB6903
07-31-2009, 06:55 PM
I actually clown those who wear a Clinton Portis or Ashley Lelie jersey to a Broncos football game.... Retired players are fine but Im definately going to get a kick out of the people who are sporting their Cutler jerseys to the game this season..

T.K.O.
07-31-2009, 06:58 PM
i actually clown those who wear a clinton portis or ashley lelie jersey to a broncos football game.... Retired players are fine but im definately going to get a kick out of the people who are sporting their cutler jerseys to the game this season..

they would'nt dare.......would they ?

horsepig
07-31-2009, 10:41 PM
How many jerseys do you guys need?

I have my 1984 CSU BB jersey, I take good care of itit is very cool, nuff said.

aberdien
08-01-2009, 12:27 AM
Brandon Marshall, No. 15: Walk into training camp dressed in orange flip-flops, blue shorts and a Marshall uni at your own risk. Before you pass through the gates, here's betting you get busted by Stacy London from "What Not to Wear."

Listen, if you're a die-hard supporter of the mopey Denver receiver, at least show a little originality by making a protest T-shirt that proclaims: "Free B-Marsh."

And if you must wear No. 15, spend a little extra cash to customize the jersey with a message hinting which direction the Broncos should go in the 2010 draft, by adding this name on the back: "Tebow."

Is he an idiot?

The only Broncos jersey i'm interested in buying is Rod Smith, hopefully Santa will be good to me this year.