PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas making red-zone impact with Broncos, Peyton Manning

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2012, 04:51 PM
Since Josh McDaniels used the 22nd pick of the 2010 draft — three picks before the team selected Tim Tebow — to reel in wide receiver Demaryius Thomas, Broncos coaches have consistently talked about the kind of impact Thomas should have in the scoring zone because of his size, strength and athletic ability.

Injuries have slowed Thomas' development some — this is the first training camp he has participated in fully in his career — but Monday he flashed some potential for impact in a red-zone drill.

Peyton Manning hit Thomas on back-to-back plays, once in single coverage against 11-time Pro Bowl selection Champ Bailey and once when it appeared safety Rahim Moore was slow to locate Thomas in traffic.

more about camp today - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21303006/demaryius-thomas-making-red-zone-impact-broncos-peyton?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

BroncoFanatic
08-14-2012, 09:57 AM
I love hearing from Champ in the video at the top of the article, good stuff :beer:

Northman
08-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Move Champ to SAFETY!

/sarcasm.

DenBronx
08-14-2012, 12:49 PM
I love hearing from Champ in the video at the top of the article, good stuff :beer:

Yeah but did you guys hear Manning diss Champ? "Champs never intercepted me in the NFL." -Manning

Also stated he never threw away from Champ.

lol....he still said it. Slight jab???

BroncoFanatic
08-14-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah but did you guys hear Manning diss Champ? "Champs never intercepted me in the NFL." -Manning

Also stated he never threw away from Champ.

lol....he still said it. Slight jab???

He also said he never threw a TD against Champ either. It sounds like a lot of mutual respect rather than a jab

Northman
08-14-2012, 01:30 PM
Manning has always had his way with our defenses. Champ isnt alone in that group. lol

Jsteve01
08-14-2012, 02:56 PM
roc alexander endorses this post

NightTerror218
08-14-2012, 02:57 PM
nice for him and manning to get timing down.

jhildebrand
08-14-2012, 05:07 PM
While the article is nice and glowing and all, the fact remains DT ran a piss poor route in the RZ against the Bears last week. I saw a poor route, poor performance, and not full effort. It is great the guy is a RZ threat in practice but until it translates to games, it is all just hype. See Darius Watts.

rationalfan
08-14-2012, 05:30 PM
While the article is nice and glowing and all, the fact remains DT ran a piss poor route in the RZ against the Bears last week. I saw a poor route, poor performance, and not full effort. It is great the guy is a RZ threat in practice but until it translates to games, it is all just hype. See Darius Watts.

so, you're comparing a guy who had the second best receiving stats in the league during the final month of last season and who also had the game-winning TD in a playoff game to darius watts, a guy who has, like 33 career receptions?

i get trying to be objectively critical about the broncos players, but this feels like you're trying a little too hard.

jhildebrand
08-14-2012, 05:46 PM
so, you're comparing a guy who had the second best receiving stats in the league during the final month of last season and who also had the game-winning TD in a playoff game to darius watts, a guy who has, like 33 career receptions?

i get trying to be objectively critical about the broncos players, but this feels like you're trying a little too hard.

No. I am comparing the glowing camp reports by reporters of one WR who was making great strides with his QB in training camp to other camp reports by reporters of a WR who is making great strides with his new QB in training camp.

In short, the report can say what it does but the reality is, as some say, you're only as good as your last game. DT's last game was one in which he didn't run good routes, didn't run an entire route, and all but gave up on what could have been a catchable ball in the endzone. Those aren't my thoughts alone. I have heard them echoed across the different sport talk stations and writers. I want to see it in games not just hear about it in training camp practices.

Ravage!!!
08-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Pre-season games mean soooooo very very little. DT and Manning aren't getting their timing down in pre-season games. I do n't give a rats ass what happens in pre-season games.

NightTerror218
08-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Pre-season games mean soooooo very very little. DT and Manning aren't getting their timing down in pre-season games. I do n't give a rats ass what happens in pre-season games.

TC, practice, Preseason will all help towards getting timing between the two. It takes time and more reps they get in the better.

jhildebrand
08-14-2012, 06:30 PM

They may not get their timing down in the games. That is what OTA's, mini camp, and TC are for. Manning felt it was so important he and the guys were at a local high school for much of the summer working together to build that timing. It clearly shows when it comes to Decker. DT chose not to be there for that. Yet he had some rumblings in camp about being dissatisfied with the looks he was getting and Manning's penchant for Decker.

For a guy like DT preseason games are the best opportunity for him to run routes and get as close a feeling to live games as he can get. That is something the guy needs-to learn how to run an entire route tree, timing, and run them right. He hasn't been required to until now. So, I would argue these games mean more to DT than most.

Fast forward to now. We hear these glowing camp reports now, after some of the not so good earlier, yet it isn't translating to the games. Preseason games may not mean anything to you Rav but I am pretty sure they mean something to every single player on the team. I am pretty sure they go a long way in building trust between a guy like Manning and DT. If you think for one moment that DT's effort in the RZ on the corner fade are lost on Manning, or he doesn't care, then you are sorely mistaken.

EDIT: Also, the effort wasn't lost on the coaches.

rationalfan
08-14-2012, 07:20 PM
I don't think anyone on the broncos roster is without flaws. But some fans spend too much time worrying about minor problems.

Northman
08-14-2012, 07:58 PM
DT has some work to do but come on, one pre-season game? lol Wow.

jhildebrand
08-14-2012, 09:12 PM
DT has some work to do but come on, one pre-season game? lol Wow.

It's not ONE preseason game. Last I checked the guy was the top drafted WR from the 2010 class. This is who he has been!

You guys have some double standards around here. In one breath a player taken in the 1st round needs to be a guy who is on the field, NFL ready and polished. The next it is "one preseason game." Which is it so I know for future reference the next time we are exalting or criticising a player.

The reality is Rob Gronkowski was drafted after this guy. He doesn't have a problem running routes, practicing the right way, staying healthy. Mike Williams in TB, ditto. Aaron Hernandez ditto. Even, dare I say it, Dez Bryant ditto. I could name at least 5 other guys.

Antonio Brown just got his deal re-worked. A guy from the same draft class only drafted 5 rounds later has shown to be a true professional. You can choose to give DT a free pass but I don't. The guy was the 1st WR off the board in 2010 and I personally expect to see more professionalism out of the guy.

MOtorboat
08-14-2012, 09:21 PM
It's not ONE preseason game. Last I checked the guy was the top drafted WR from the 2010 class. This is who he has been!

You guys have some double standards around here. In one breath a player taken in the 1st round needs to be a guy who is on the field, NFL ready and polished. The next it is "one preseason game." Which is it so I know for future reference the next time we are exalting or criticising a player.

The reality is Rob Gronkowski was drafted after this guy. He doesn't have a problem running routes, practicing the right way, staying healthy. Mike Williams in TB, ditto. Aaron Hernandez ditto. Even, dare I say it, Dez Bryant ditto. I could name at least 5 other guys.

Antonio Brown just got his deal re-worked. A guy from the same draft class only drafted 5 rounds later has shown to be a true professional. You can choose to give DT a free pass but I don't. The guy was the 1st WR off the board in 2010 and I personally expect to see more professionalism out of the guy.

More "professionalism?"

What does that even mean. The best wide receiver I've ever seen (no, believe it or not it was not Jerry Rice) couldn't run a route to save his life: Randy Moss.

That doesn't mean he wasn't professional. You can bitch about his injuries and call him "injury prone" or "fragile" or whatever you want to call him, but to say he's unprofessional is a bit over dramatic and, in my opinion, ridiculous. I don't know whether his work ethic is more or less than Gronkowski.

Having said that, he's also played with Orton and Tebow, who were both shit, plus he was injured. Gronkowski and Hernandez play with Brady. Brown plays with Roethlisberger, and pfft, I'll take DT over Bryant. Talk about professional...about assaulting your mother...now THAT is professionalism.

jhildebrand
08-14-2012, 10:39 PM
More "professionalism?"

What does that even mean. The best wide receiver I've ever seen (no, believe it or not it was not Jerry Rice) couldn't run a route to save his life: Randy Moss.

That doesn't mean he wasn't professional. You can bitch about his injuries and call him "injury prone" or "fragile" or whatever you want to call him, but to say he's unprofessional is a bit over dramatic and, in my opinion, ridiculous. I don't know whether his work ethic is more or less than Gronkowski.

Having said that, he's also played with Orton and Tebow, who were both shit, plus he was injured. Gronkowski and Hernandez play with Brady. Brown plays with Roethlisberger, and pfft, I'll take DT over Bryant. Talk about professional...about assaulting your mother...now THAT is professionalism.

There's the double standard. On the one hand TT, you brought him up not me, needed to be Joe Montana in year three. You were one of many throwing out the theory that you can't have a project first rounder. He was too raw. He was too busy doing commercials. He didn't have the right skillset. That is what DT is. He is a project who may not be able to learn the appropriate skill set required for this QB-running routes. A tempermental project. While you're throwing Dez under the bus and proclaiming youd keep DT just remember his sexual assault trial ;) He's no angel either. So let's at least agree that what matters is on the field. And on the field with a QB like Manning you NEED to be able to run routes, run them the right way and have his trust.

So, in the word's of North, yes it is just ONE preseason game. BUT if he can't find a way to build that trust and he isn't getting the passes and looks he "expects" then you will see the drama begin.

As for professionalism. It is knowing your craft. Working to the best of your ability. You saw it on the sideline with 3 WR's and TE's (DT not one of them) being schooled by Manning. All eyes and ears. That is Manning being professional. Making guys understand what he expects. DT on the other hand half assed a catchable TD pass. I know I didn't need to explain professional to you but didn't want to play your games for 50 posts either.

turftoad
08-14-2012, 10:51 PM
TT would not have been a 1st rounder if not for McD. ooooooosh

Jsteve01
08-14-2012, 10:52 PM
More "professionalism?"

There's the double standard. On the one hand TT, you brought him up not me, needed to be Joe Montana in year three. You were one of many throwing out the theory that you can't have a project first rounder. He was too raw. He was too busy doing commercials. He didn't have the right skillset. That is what DT is. He is a project who may not be able to learn the appropriate skill set required for this QB-running routes. A tempermental project. While you're throwing Dez under the bus and proclaiming youd keep DT just remember his sexual assault trial ;) He's no angel either. So let's at least agree that what matters is on the field. And on the field with a QB like Manning you NEED to be able to run routes, run them the right way and have his trust.

So, in the word's of North, yes it is just ONE preseason game. BUT if he can't find a way to build that trust and he isn't getting the passes and looks he "expects" then you will see the drama begin.

As for professionalism. It is knowing your craft. Working to the best of your ability. You saw it on the sideline with 3 WR's and TE's (DT not one of them) being schooled by Manning. All eyes and ears. That is Manning being professional. Making guys understand what he expects. DT on the other hand half assed a catchable TD pass. I know I didn't need to explain professional to you but didn't want to play your games for 50 posts either.whoa there buddy dt never was up on sexual assault charges. Talk about twisting the facts to make a point. I get it. You think he loafed on a route. Let's throw out all the work he did to get back in shape and train with Calvin Johnson and Stephen hill this offseason. Your hyperbole is perfect for campaign season

MOtorboat
08-14-2012, 11:43 PM

As for professionalism. It is knowing your craft. Working to the best of your ability. You saw it on the sideline with 3 WR's and TE's (DT not one of them) being schooled by Manning. All eyes and ears. That is Manning being professional. Making guys understand what he expects. DT on the other hand half assed a catchable TD pass. I know I didn't need to explain professional to you but didn't want to play your games for 50 posts either.

DT did not face sexual assault charges. In fact he was charged with nothing. I'm afraid you don't understand the court process very well. That's cool, it's kind of like how you don't understand the difference between players who don't produce and players who are injured...

DT isn't nearly as inept at playing his position as Tebow, so we can put that to rest first. Frankly, even suggesting he's on the level of Tebow in terms of knowing his position is stupid.

Again. How is not running perfect routes an indictment of his "professionalism?" There have been numerous wide receivers who don't run perfect routes who have been hall of famers, so that, frankly (again) is a weak criticism.

You're right, I don't believe in project first rounders. DT isn't one. He's had injuries. Huge difference. When he's healthy he's been everything a first round pick supposedly should be. I still find it ridiculous the expectations fans put on first rounders. It's so unrealistic, it's unbelievable.

Northman
08-15-2012, 03:50 AM

There's no double standard with me so lets cut that BS out right now.

But, DT came from a school that didnt utilize the pass much so right off the bat he was going to need some work in that area. Just like Tebow, McD drafted DT on potential. We can argue all day long as too whether he was worthy of a 1st round draft choice or not but that will get us nowhere.

Secondly, he's faced some injury issues (something i do have a gripe about) but again, beyond anyone's control. All we can hope for is that he is able to stay healthy down the line.

Finally, as already pointed out too you DT was one of the best WR's in the last two months of the 2011 season making play after play or did you just decide to ignore all that?

And what professionalism are you talking about? He was late getting to work with Manning due to injury this offseason so of course he is going to be out of sync with Manning. But shit, its been one preseason game. Again, as someone else already mentioned if he is still having an issue a couple of games into the season than yea i can see your point. But not at this time, its just too soon to start writing him off.

Northman
08-15-2012, 03:53 AM
DT on the other hand half assed a catchable TD pass. I know I didn't need to explain professional to you but didn't want to play your games for 50 posts either.

This is complete BS. Even the commentators mentioned it was a chemistry thing, not DT being lazy. Lets not pull shit out of our ass to try and discredit a guy. Come on now.

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2012, 09:20 AM
DT has potential to be one of the most explosive WR's in the NFL.

And how did Darius Watts come into the thread? The guy couldn't catch because he had no tendons in his forearm. That was just a terrible pick by Shanahan. The guy couldn't make routine catches with his hands in college, let alone trying to transition to the NFL.

vandammage13
08-15-2012, 09:25 AM
TT would not have been a 1st rounder if not for McD. ooooooosh

Not sure what this has to do with the thread, but it has been reported that both the Vikings and Patriots were looking to take him late in the 1st.

Ravage!!!
08-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Not sure what this has to do with the thread, but it has been reported that both the Vikings and Patriots were looking to take him late in the 1st.

Bum Bum BUmmmmmmm.... Vandy to the rescue. No matter rain, snow, floods, mountains or the obvious inappropriate thread...... vandy WILL be there!!!!!!!!!! Sppeeed of Lightning, roar of thunder, fighting all who wrong and blunder..... Vandy-bow, VANDY_BOW!!!

silkamilkamonico
08-15-2012, 09:47 AM
Bum Bum BUmmmmmmm.... Vandy to the rescue. No matter rain, snow, floods, mountains or the obvious inappropriate thread...... vandy WILL be there!!!!!!!!!! Sppeeed of Lightning, roar of thunder, fighting all who wrong and blunder..... Vandy-bow, VANDY_BOW!!!

He's the Yin to the tebow haters Yang. Both are absurd and ridiculous.

vandammage13
08-15-2012, 11:05 AM

Interesting that you didn't make the same comment to turftoad for originally bringing it up.

I guess its kind of like personal foul penalties...It's always the 2nd guy who gets flagged..

But at least I know where you stand.

NightTerror218
08-15-2012, 11:30 AM

Damn vandy for commenting in a thread.....where of course Tebow would be mentioned like every other thread on this board.

BroncoWave
08-15-2012, 12:01 PM
So one play in one preseason game now completely outweighs what he did over the last half of last season? Someone has a vendetta. Are you secretly JRwiz?

jhildebrand
08-19-2012, 12:50 AM
There's no double standard with me so lets cut that BS out right now.

But, DT came from a school that didnt utilize the pass much so right off the bat he was going to need some work in that area. Just like Tebow, McD drafted DT on potential. We can argue all day long as too whether he was worthy of a 1st round draft choice or not but that will get us nowhere.

Secondly, he's faced some injury issues (something i do have a gripe about) but again, beyond anyone's control. All we can hope for is that he is able to stay healthy down the line.

Finally, as already pointed out too you DT was one of the best WR's in the last two months of the 2011 season making play after play or did you just decide to ignore all that?

And what professionalism are you talking about? He was late getting to work with Manning due to injury this offseason so of course he is going to be out of sync with Manning. But shit, its been one preseason game. Again, as someone else already mentioned if he is still having an issue a couple of games into the season than yea i can see your point. But not at this time, its just too soon to start writing him off.

He chose to workout in ATL with Calvin Johnson and other WR's.

Second, his school passed the ball. :lol: How do you think Calvin Johnson made a name for himself :coffee: The problem is DT never bothered to learn anything other than a go route. The fact is he is a 1st rounder and the 1st WR taken in his class. I give him slack for injuries. I don't for running bullshit routes in the endzone. Professionalism is doing your job to the best of your ability. He doesn't do that. He hasn't even established himself and he has thrown pouting parties.

jhildebrand
08-19-2012, 12:56 AM
DT did not face sexual assault charges. In fact he was charged with nothing.

Luckily so. However, I am well aware of the case, including the civil motions, and DT is LUCKY he wasn't charged. That said my point still stands. You brought up Dez's incident with his mom which still pales in comparison to DT's legal woes.

DT isn't nearly as inept at playing his position as Tebow, so we can put that to rest first. Frankly, even suggesting he's on the level of Tebow in terms of knowing his position is stupid.

How so. So far DT hasn't even shown the ability to stay on the field. When healthy, he hasn't been able to beat out Decker and others-guys who are #2 WR's on any other team.

Again. How is not running perfect routes an indictment of his "professionalism?" There have been numerous wide receivers who don't run perfect routes who have been hall of famers, so that, frankly (again) is a weak criticism.

It isn't even about running a perfect route. It is the fact he half assed a ball in the end zone! He didn't even finish the route. The ball was thrown his way and it could have been a TD. Now thankfully it was preseason. But practice in ='s productivity out or also bad practice in is bad practice out. He isn't a rookie any more. FFS. What is so hard to understand about that? At some point you quit giving a guy a free pass. It just happens that time is right now for me.

You're right, I don't believe in project first rounders. DT isn't one. He's had injuries. Huge difference. When he's healthy he's been everything a first round pick supposedly should be. I still find it ridiculous the expectations fans put on first rounders. It's so unrealistic, it's unbelievable.

Well I got nothing there other than perhaps your standard changes depending on what the player's last name is :rolleyes:

jhildebrand
08-19-2012, 12:57 AM
This is complete BS. Even the commentators mentioned it was a chemistry thing, not DT being lazy. Lets not pull shit out of our ass to try and discredit a guy. Come on now.

The commentators came right out and echoed the same thing, upon seeing the replay, that I stated-he can't cut that route off. It would be a difficult catch but it could be caught.

jhildebrand
08-19-2012, 01:03 AM
So one play in one preseason game now completely outweighs what he did over the last half of last season? Someone has a vendetta. Are you secretly JRwiz?

I have no vendetta. I am judging DT and posting about him as I have any other player. The difference is, unlike a lot here, and North you can deny it, I don't waffle on my opinion of a player. I am not afraid to state my opinion no matter how unpopular (see my posts on Orton and his lame ass when the team was 4-0 to 6-0. I even posted that they would find a way to miss the playoffs.). In fact, I posted similar criticisms of MOreno early on and was told the same shit I am hearing right here. Still unproductive, still injury prone, still puts the ball on the turf. I said Tebow would find ways to win. I stood by it while others like North waffled like Eggo as the team won and lost.

I will end it with this. I definitely believe last week had an effect on tonight. DT caught three passes but Manning was looking elswhere first. Tamme and Dreesen were targeted on plays DT appeared to have a window. I will re-watch tomorrow but my sense is Manning doesn't have a whole lot of trust in DT.

MOtorboat
08-19-2012, 01:03 AM
The commentators came right out and echoed the same thing, upon seeing the replay, that I stated-he can't cut that route off. It would be a difficult catch but it could be caught.

But they didn't say it was because he was lazy. Which is your contention.

jhildebrand
08-19-2012, 01:08 AM
But they didn't say it was because he was lazy. Which is your contention.

You stop a route for one of a few reasons-

1. You quit on the route
2. You are lazy
3. You are taking a play off and didn't realize the ball might come to you

None of those are good things, Mo. I also don't believe I said lazy. I think I said he lacked professionalism. I will go back and double check to be sure. The thing is the greats always run the routes the same NO MATTER WHAT and many have acknowledged as much in interviews-or their competitors have.

MOtorboat
08-19-2012, 01:08 AM
Luckily so. However, I am well aware of the case, including the civil motions, and DT is LUCKY he wasn't charged. That said my point still stands. You brought up Dez's incident with his mom which still pales in comparison to DT's legal woes.

He wasn't charged because he didn't commit a damn crime. What is with people convicting people who A.) aren't even charged and B.) not even accused.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. Your argument, not DT.

How so. So far DT hasn't even shown the ability to stay on the field. When healthy, he hasn't been able to beat out Decker and others-guys who are #2 WR's on any other team.

How is Thomas vastly superior to Tebow? For one, he's not incompetent at his position like Tebow is. 36 Percent tonight.

And DeMaryius is the No. 1 receiver. Argument fail.

It isn't even about running a perfect route. It is the fact he half assed a ball in the end zone! He didn't even finish the route. The ball was thrown his way and it could have been a TD. Now thankfully it was preseason. But practice in ='s productivity out or also bad practice in is bad practice out. He isn't a rookie any more. FFS. What is so hard to understand about that? At some point you quit giving a guy a free pass. It just happens that time is right now for me.

Piss-poor analysis. Very piss poor.

Well I got nothing there other than perhaps your standard changes depending on what the player's last name is :rolleyes:

Not even worth a response.

MOtorboat
08-19-2012, 01:09 AM
You stop a route for one of a few reasons-

1. You quit on the route
2. You are lazy
3. You are taking a play off and didn't realize the ball might come to you

None of those are good things, Mo.

He didn't quit. He wasn't lazy. He didn't take the play off.

Every single one of those idiotic arguments is false.

jhildebrand
08-19-2012, 01:12 AM
He didn't quit. He wasn't lazy. He didn't take the play off.

Every single one of those idiotic arguments is false.

The tape don't lie, Mo. You can be the defender of all things DT. But the tape shows a guy who didn't give his full effort on that play. The announcers even bothered to state that a play could have been made on that ball. I know he can make that catch. You know how I know? :confused: BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN HIM MAKE HARDER CATCHES.

Again, my point in all this is the kid chose not to work out with manning, has little trust built up, and plays like that don't help. This team will need DT to be his best. If he isn't and isn't satisfied, he has already shown he can be a bit of a malcontent.

MOtorboat
08-19-2012, 01:17 AM
The tape don't lie, Mo. You can be the defender of all things DT. But the tape shows a guy who didn't give his full effort on that play. The announcers even bothered to state that a play could have been made on that ball. I know he can make that catch. You know how I know? :confused: BECAUSE I HAVE SEEN HIM MAKE HARDER CATCHES.

Again, my point in all this is the kid chose not to work out with manning, has little trust built up, and plays like that don't help. This team will need DT to be his best. If he isn't and isn't satisfied, he has already shown he can be a bit of a malcontent.

Wrong.

The announcers said he took the wrong path to the ball.

That's A.) Not quitting on a route, B.) Not being lazy, and C.) Not taking a play off.

And for ****'s sake, he was injured. Are you so unbelievably obtuse that you're going to actually say he should have been working out while injured?

And when was he a malcontent? When he pointed out he played with a crap quarterback last year? That's the truth.

silkamilkamonico
08-19-2012, 02:48 AM
There are some glarings truths in this argument that someone is choosing to ignore.

1 - DT has never been a malcontent. On top of that terrible accusation, I have yet to see a link or story backing up that claim.

2 - DT was arguably the most explosive WR in the nfl the last half of last season. He's a dynamic player that 32 NFL teams wouldnt pass up on. Kids good. Real good.

3 - Eric Decker disappeared off the face Of Denvers offense last year. Whomever is claiming that DT couldnt beat him out obviously didnt follow any Bronco games last season.

Northman
08-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Second, his school passed the ball. :lol: How do you think Calvin Johnson made a name for himself :coffee: The problem is DT never bothered to learn anything other than a go route.

Might want to actually research some shit before spouting off like a idiot homie.

During the time the Johnson attended GT the offense he played in for 3 years threw the ball 1014 times for 6132 yds. In the 3 years that DT played at GT there was a deep dropoff in passing where they threw the ball 612 times for 4339 yds. What that means is they spent more time rushing the ball than passing it because that was the type of offense they were running during that time. Now the kicker in all this is despite not passing the ball near as much and despite not having the same amount of receptions as Johnson, DT still almost gained the same amount of yards receiving on limited throws.

Am i saying DT is in Johnson's league? No. But lets not pretend that the style of offenses ran in during their time at the school was the same. It wasnt even close.

Calvin Johnson- 176 rec for 2927

DT- 120 rec for 2339

Chef Zambini
08-19-2012, 11:42 AM
I don't think anyone on the broncos roster is without flaws. But some fans spend too much time worrying about minor problems.like being able to stop the run, or covering the tight end, petty stuff.

MOtorboat
08-19-2012, 11:48 AM
Might want to actually research some shit before spouting off like a idiot homie.

During the time the Johnson attended GT the offense he played in for 3 years threw the ball 1014 times for 6132 yds. In the 3 years that DT played at GT there was a deep dropoff in passing where they threw the ball 612 times for 4339 yds. What that means is they spent more time rushing the ball than passing it because that was the type of offense they were running during that time. Now the kicker in all this is despite not passing the ball near as much and despite not having the same amount of receptions as Johnson, DT still almost gained the same amount of yards receiving on limited throws.

Am i saying DT is in Johnson's league? No. But lets not pretend that the style of offenses ran in during their time at the school was the same. It wasnt even close.

Calvin Johnson- 176 rec for 2927

DT- 120 rec for 2339

I missed that gem of a sentence.

Georgia Tech passes the ball, eh?

CoachChaz
08-20-2012, 02:16 PM
The truth lies in the middle. DT will probably never be a top 5 WR in the NFL, but he's far from useless. I can see him as a regular 80-90 catch guy ones he refines his game. But I dont expect a super star

chazoe60
08-20-2012, 02:46 PM
The two games I saw DT in live last season were evidence of him being either lazy or lost. Now, after that point he really seemed to turn it on and was a complete stud. But, I can't deny what I saw against both Detroit and Chicago, and that was a guy who was very lazy unless the ball was for sure coming his way. He jogged, gave half hearted block attempts, and looked otherwise disinterested.

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and chalk a lot of that up to injury and an offense that no WR in history would be overly enthused about. I wanna see how he does this season. I do wish he would stop giving interviews though, it's embarassing.

Bugs Baloney
08-20-2012, 07:27 PM
With DT's size he could easily, or should be able to easily be able to run some simple routes in the red zone.
I know it is a staple in the NFL, but the corner route has not been very successful for us in recent years.
I'd like to see DT run more quick slants using his body size to shield off the defenders.
Another possibility could be faking the "corner" route and running the "In" route.

In conclusion, DT is a big boy and should know the route tree by now. Why we don't see more simple
curls or slants from him is a mystery.