PDA

View Full Version : ayers won't be in camp friday

titan
07-30-2009, 11:04 PM
this from the kdvr website:

Ayers Won't Report Friday Unless Drastic Changes

When the Broncos conduct their first full-squad team practice during training camp Friday, expect defensive end/outside linebacker Robert Ayers not to be present.

That of course unless something drastically changes overnight.

Fox 31’s Josina Anderson talked to inside sources with knowledge of Ayers’ situation late Thursday evening at the top of the 9 o'clock hour.

“A deal looked like it was getting done but the Broncos decided they didn't like the terms,” said a league source who spoke on the condition of anonymity.

There is no doubt that the Broncos defensive unit which finished last season with a 29th overall ranking needs the contribution of a rookie player many project to be a starter in Denver.

However, Anderson has learned negotiations between the sides are even farther apart at this hour.

“[They] are totally far apart right now,” added the source.

Apparently the sticking point is the way the deal is being structured. Given the fluidity of the collective bargaining agreement in the future, there is a hyper-vigilance over the terms in a lot of rookie contracts this season, particularly those for first round draft picks.

One can assume that Ayers, the former player out of Tennessee, wants to be on the field practicing with his teammates, but market value according to the draft order slotting is what it is.

Regardless of where things stand now, Anderson was told everything is being done to square the situation away as soon as possible-within reason of course.

NightTrainLayne
07-30-2009, 11:16 PM
"They are totally far apart. . ."

Did she catch up with Xander's daughter at the mall or what? Like. ..you know.. .

GrayWolf
07-30-2009, 11:54 PM
According to John Clayton:

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4367322&name=clayton_john&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fesp n%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d4367322%26name%3dclay ton_john%26campaign%3drss%26source%3dESPNHeadlines

The Broncos were close to getting a deal done with rookie DE Robert Ayers on Thursday, but the NFL Management Council did not approve the language of the contract, according to a source. Because of that, Ayers won't be in camp on time. First-round pick Knowshon Moreno also remains unsigned.

TXBRONC
07-31-2009, 12:36 AM
It at least sounds hopeful that Ayers is close to getting a deal done in the nearby future. I just wonder how close Moreno is to inking a contract?

Nomad
07-31-2009, 06:13 AM
I hope the NFL does something with this rookie salary BS. These guys should not have the power to hold out of TC because they haven't proven themselves as NFL players......give the money to proven veterans and let the rookies work their way up.

SoCalImport
07-31-2009, 06:34 AM
This kind of garbage is all agent driven and the sooner the PA and owners can come to an agreement to standardize rookie contracts the better. Set contracts based on position and pick that are set to raise as salary caps are raised is an obvious answer.

It has to happen eventually or this will get worse and worse each year.
Doesn't seem like it should be this difficult.

SoCalImport
07-31-2009, 06:36 AM
this from the kdvr website:

Ayers Won't Report Friday Unless Drastic Changes

One can assume that Ayers, the former player out of Tennessee, wants to be on the field practicing with his teammates, but market value according to the draft order slotting is what it is.

I wonder if one sticking point is the differance between LB s contracts and DEs.

DEs usually get the bigger deals but with so many teams using the 3/4 and drafting collage DEs to play OLBs? hmmm. I can see this being a point of contention when it comes time to negotiate contracts.

Tned
07-31-2009, 09:18 AM
I wonder if one sticking point is the differance between LB s contracts and DEs.

DEs usually get the bigger deals but with so many teams using the 3/4 and drafting collage DEs to play OLBs? hmmm. I can see this being a point of contention when it comes time to negotiate contracts.

Did Ayers have any off-field problems? Since they rejected it due to language in the contract, that sounds like they were trying to either put in conditional stuff, or have an out if he did something wrong off the field.

TXBRONC
07-31-2009, 09:22 AM
At any rate Ayers contract seem to be close to being done but Moreno's could be awhile.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_12954933

Broncos, Moreno are far apart in talks as camp kicks off
Ayers, another first-round selection, also is unsigned, making the tandem the team's first rookie holdouts since 2004.
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/31/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 07/31/2009 01:24:31 AM MDT

Call him fast. Call him talented. Call him soon-to-be wealthy.

And beginning today, people can call him No-Show Moreno.

The Broncos will open training camp today without their No. 1 draft pick, Knowshon Moreno. The team and its rookie running back are so far apart in contract negotiations, Moreno will wake up today in his college home state of Georgia.

No sense rushing to Denver when a new contract isn't imminent.

The Broncos are further along in negotiations with their second first-round choice, outside linebacker Robert Ayers. Still, the two sides would have had to work through Thursday night to keep Ayers from joining Moreno as the Broncos' first rookie holdouts since 2004.

"I want to be there, but it's part of the business," Ayers said Thursday. "About all I can say is both sides are working hard to try to get everything done, but . . . I don't have any predictions."
Meanwhile, 78 other Broncos players will brace for the two-a-day opening of training camp at the team's Dove Valley practice facility, where the goal, besides making it to Saturday, is to secure a spot on the season- opening, 53-man roster.

This year, the Broncos are going old school. They will arrive early — the first workout session today starts at 8:45 a.m. And they will leave late — their second practice is scheduled to end at 7:30 p.m.

Then again, for each morning-night doubleheader, there are days with no morning practices — 10 of each.

New coach Josh McDaniels said this schedule allows for a meeting before every practice while keeping the players away from the hot, midday sun and fresh with the occasional nonpractice.

During his time as Bill Belichick's top offensive assistant in New England, McDaniels also came to like this schedule better than others because "it gave me more teaching time."

Once the Broncos are on the field, they will be equipped with pads.

The schedule and contact may still be a long way from matching the camp drudgery of eating and sleeping football at the University of Northern Colorado campus in Greeley, as the team once did. But for the most part, the concept of practicing in helmets and shorts in the morning and veterans getting the afternoon practice off exited with Mike Shanahan.

McDaniels is attempting to bring some of the rugged East Coast style to the Rocky Mountains.

"If that's what you want your identity to be, then you've got to go out and do it," McDaniels said. "It's not just going to show up in September if you haven't done it.

"We're going to practice the way we feel we need to practice in order to establish the style of play that we want to win with this year. That's going to be a physical style on both sides of the ball. It's hard to practice that way when you're not in pads. Right off the bat, we're going to try to get after it."

Not Moreno. Until he signs, he can't participate. The first running back taken in the 2009 draft and 12th player overall, Moreno is represented by the agency headed by Tom Condon and Ben Dogra, who just negotiated a five-year, $38.25 million contract with a $23.5 million guarantee for No. 7 pick Darrius Heyward-Bey with the Raiders.

The deal staggered the industry, as those numbers represented a 20 percent increase from what the previous year's No. 7 pick — Sedrick Ellis — received.

Still another reason for the Broncos to hate the Raiders. The Broncos were hoping to sign Moreno to a five-year contract at an 8 percent to 10 percent increase from the $11.415 million guarantee they gave left tackle Ryan Clady last year as the No. 12 pick.

An 8 percent increase would put Moreno's guarantee at $12.3 million. The 20 percent increase sought by Condon-Dogra would lift Moreno's guarantee to $13.7 million.

A gap that large suggests Knowshon may be a No-Show beyond today.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com

:tsk:

weazel
07-31-2009, 11:53 AM
go the way of the NHL and put a cap on rookie salaries. Make it a 1st contract of 3 years max, with a ceiling of 1 million dollars a season and a max 500k signing bonus.

Too much money being wasted on players that never become starters or even worse, never step on the field.

TXBRONC
07-31-2009, 03:07 PM
go the way of the NHL and put a cap on rookie salaries. Make it a 1st contract of 3 years max, with a ceiling of 1 million dollars a season and a max 500k signing bonus.

Too much money being wasted on players that never become starters or even worse, never step on the field.

I don't think the PA would buy into rookie contracts being that small.

Overtime
07-31-2009, 05:39 PM
And beginning today, people can call him No-Show Moreno.

hell I've been calling him that since Alabama put a beat down on Georgia last year, when it was damn near 31-0 at halftime, or 31-3, and Moreno failed to show up to play in that game. (he played, but didn't produce as Alabama had his number all game long).

No-Show Moreno is a no show in big games, and we never shoulda wasted a first rounder on him, but oh well...too late for all that now.

dogfish
07-31-2009, 09:59 PM
"If that's what you want your identity to be, then you've got to go out and do it," McDaniels said. "It's not just going to show up in September if you haven't done it.

"We're going to practice the way we feel we need to practice in order to establish the style of play that we want to win with this year. That's going to be a physical style on both sides of the ball. It's hard to practice that way when you're not in pads. Right off the bat, we're going to try to get after it."

i approve this message. . . . :2thumbs:

nevcraw
08-01-2009, 09:37 AM
12. Knowshon Moreno RB Denver Unsigned
13. Brian Orakpo DE Washington Agreed 5 years, $20 million ($12.1M guaranteed)
14. Malcolm Jenkins CB New Orleans Unsigned
15. Brian Cushing LB Houston Unsigned
16. Larry English DE San Diego Agreed Undisclosed
17. Josh Freeman QB Tampa Bay Signed 5 years, $36 million
18. Robert Ayers LB Denver Unsigned

Unless the Broncos are nickel and diming or the their agents are reaching, these deals should get done soon, now that a precedent has been sent with players signed around them..

Italianmobstr7
08-01-2009, 10:02 AM
hell I've been calling him that since Alabama put a beat down on Georgia last year, when it was damn near 31-0 at halftime, or 31-3, and Moreno failed to show up to play in that game. (he played, but didn't produce as Alabama had his number all game long).

No-Show Moreno is a no show in big games, and we never shoulda wasted a first rounder on him, but oh well...too late for all that now.

So he has a bad game and now he's "no show" Moreno? His offensive line didn't have anything to do with them getting beat by a very good Alabama team? I must have forgot that running backs make their own holes to run through...

Poet
08-01-2009, 10:24 AM
I hope the NFL does something with this rookie salary BS. These guys should not have the power to hold out of TC because they haven't proven themselves as NFL players......give the money to proven veterans and let the rookies work their way up.

Why? If those players get hurt or injured or the team decides to move in a new direction those players get dumped. People complain about players and their contracts all the time, but we never hold teams accountable for not honoring their side of the contract.

The other funny thing here is that you all assume that Ayers is the one who is in the wrong. How do you know that the Broncos aren't offering him a retarded contract that makes no sense for him to sign?

Yeah, there are a lot of guys who hold out and are unfair on the player side. That being said, most of these guys train their entire lives to make it to the NFL. They dodged injury all of or most of the way. Teams complain that the players get overpaid, but that's garbage because every year fans buy the crap out of their number one draft pick's jersey.

LRtagger
08-01-2009, 10:30 AM

:2thumbsdown:

@ ASU - 23 for 149 2TD
vs. Tenn - 27 for 101
@ LSU - 21 for 163 1TD
@ Auburn - 22 for 131 1TD
@ Bama - 17 for 74 1TD
@ Florida - 33 for 188 3TD
vs. Auburn - 22 for 101 2TD
vs. UH (all State Sugar Bowl) - 9 for 61 2TD

I would say those are pretty big games that he showed up for

TXBRONC
08-01-2009, 11:42 AM

LR has posted Moreno's stats and it appears you're mistaken about him not showing up at big games.

TXBRONC
08-01-2009, 11:44 AM
:2thumbsdown:

@ ASU - 23 for 149 2TD
vs. Tenn - 27 for 101
@ LSU - 21 for 163 1TD
@ Auburn - 22 for 131 1TD
@ Bama - 17 for 74 1TD
@ Florida - 33 for 188 3TD
vs. Auburn - 22 for 101 2TD
vs. UH (all State Bowl) - 9 for 61 2TD

I would say those are pretty big games that he showed up for

So much for Moreno not showing up at big games especially when you look at what he did against conference rivals. By the way LR do happen to have his receiving stats handy? I'm curious to know what he as a receiver especially against Alabama.

LRtagger
08-01-2009, 06:18 PM
yep, here are some receiving stats against big schools:

2008:
vs. Bama - 3 for 14
vs Tenn - 1 for 14
@ LSU - 2 for 9
vs. Florida - 2 for 14
@ Auburn - 4 for 58 1TD
vs Ga Tech - 4 for 74
@ MSU (CapOne Bowl) - 6 for 63 1TD

2007:
vs. OK State - 2 for 51
@ Bama - 2 for 22
@ Tenn - 2 for 29
@ Florida - 2 for 17
vs. Auburn - 1 for 15
vs. UH (Sugar Bowl) - 2 for 26

YPR for career = 12.2
YPC for career = 5.5

Pretty good stats for a Fresh/Soph playing against the best defensive conference in the country.

atwater27
08-01-2009, 06:22 PM
I had a dream that Moreno ended up wanting so much money that he never got signed and never played in 2009.

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 06:23 PM
I had a dream that Moreno ended up wanting so much money that he never got signed and never played in 2009.

Dream? More like a nightmare.

atwater27
08-01-2009, 06:27 PM
In my dream I was watching ESPN and it was a huge story something like the 1st time that such a high round pick ended up unsigned. The dream had some pretty unhappy Bowlen faces in it.

TXBRONC
08-01-2009, 07:07 PM
In my dream I was watching ESPN and it was a huge story something like the 1st time that such a high round pick ended up unsigned. The dream had some pretty unhappy Bowlen faces in it.

Ayers isn't signed either.

weazel
08-20-2009, 05:47 PM
I don't think the PA would buy into rookie contracts being that small.

theres always the UFL.

GEM
08-20-2009, 05:58 PM
Eh fudge....I clicked on the front page started reading through and was like....WTF? Are they trying to trade our 1st round draft pick now?

Damn the bumping of old threads. :laugh:

claymore
08-20-2009, 06:03 PM
Eh fudge....I clicked on the front page started reading through and was like....WTF? Are they trying to trade our 1st round draft pick now?

Damn the bumping of old threads. :laugh:

Me too dude. Thing is, It didnt surprise me.

topscribe
08-20-2009, 06:15 PM
theres always the UFL.

Dang, Weaz', you ought to be butt-whooped for bumping this thread.

I saw the headline, and my heart hit my throat . . . :shocked:

-----

claymore
08-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Dang, Weaz', you ought to be butt-whooped for bumping this thread.

I saw the headline, and my heart hit my throat . . . :shocked:

-----

You werent surprised though were you? Your just as worried about JMCD as I am. Admit it Old man. :D

topscribe
08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
You werent surprised though were you? Your just as worried about JMCD as I am. Admit it Old man. :D

No, but that would have gotten me worried.

I'll admit to that . . .

-----

claymore
08-20-2009, 06:26 PM
No, but that would have gotten me worried.

I'll admit to that . . .

-----

Can I drunk dial you some day?

topscribe
08-20-2009, 06:27 PM
Can I drunk dial you some day?

Hell no. I still haven't gotten that kiss . . .

-----

claymore
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Hell no. I still haven't gotten that kiss . . .

-----

You still dont know how to use a phone admit it. :D