PDA

View Full Version : Broncos hoping to get premium performances from Keith Brooking, Jim Leonhard

Denver Native (Carol)
08-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Like a good neighbor, Keith Brooking is there. And so is Jim Leonhard.

They are proven, veteran players signed by the Broncos in the past week to be the good hands people, as it were, to be quality insurance to cover for some of the early bumps in the road.

"I know from my perspective I have a lot of experience," Brooking said. "I have tons of plays in this league. I've seen it all."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21297166/broncos-hoping-get-premium-performances-from-brooking-leonhard

NightTrainLayne
08-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Well. .. Legwold at least understands what quality insurance is. ;)

Whether or not Brooking and Leonhard are accurate representations of that metaphor, I don't know.

Chef Zambini
08-13-2012, 01:15 PM
for now I see these 2 as late aquisitionsof the pre-season, and admition of the lack of talent at thier respective positions.
I hope they contribute big time, but I have very reserved expectations and continue to be concerned about our ability to stop a running attac and our ability to cover tight ends !

SoCalImport
08-13-2012, 04:49 PM
for now I see these 2 as late aquisitionsof the pre-season, and admition of the lack of talent at thier respective positions.

Glass half full...1...2...3....

these late acquisitions are definitely the front office using available cap space to increase quality depth at key positions in the expectation that this team will be looking to go deep into the playoffs.

Cugel
08-13-2012, 05:35 PM
for now I see these 2 as late aquisitions [acquisitions] of the pre-season, and admition [admonition] of the lack of talent at thier [their] respective positions.
I hope they contribute big time, but I have very reserved expectations and continue to be concerned about our ability to stop a running attack and our ability to cover tight ends !

Acquiring Brooking is different from acquiring Leonhard. Brooking is acknowledgment that the LB corps is thin and that DJ might be suspended more than 6 games if his DUI trial goes sour on him.

Brookings can call plays for the defense; he has immense experience. If he's physically able to perform at an adequate level he's an asset rather like Dawkins in years past.

Leonhard is different. There's nothing really wrong with Moore, Carter and Mike Adams. But, Leonhard gives them the chance to add a useful veteran.

What it really says is "we want to win now." Teams don't add 31 and 36 year old veterans unless they think they are ready to compete THIS season for a championship and need to fill up a few holes.

You won't see any rebuilding teams adding such veterans who might last a year or two like Brooking.