PDA

View Full Version : Position Preview: Offensive line

TXBRONC
07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I didn't see this posted anywhere I thought you all might like to read it.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9179

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

2009 Position Previews: Offensive Line

Editor's Note: In the days leading up to training camp, DenverBroncos.com will examine several key areas on the Broncos' roster to give fans an idea of what to look for as the season approaches. Last in the eight-part series: offensive line.

By Chris Gentilviso
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- For nine seasons, offensive line coach Rick Dennison has perennially placed his offensive lines among the best in the NFL.

With a legacy of success in hand, Dennison believes the age of his players has never been a factor - especially with his current group.

"It doesn't matter how old or how young (the linemen are), they know they have to work together and they've done a nice job doing that."

The Broncos have added a mix of talented rookies and veterans, to a stable corps that was in the league's upper echelon a year ago. Here's a look at the lineup.

THE VETERANS

Twelve sacks in 16 games.

That's how difficult it was for opposing defenses to break through the Broncos' offensive line a year ago.

After setting a franchise record and leading the NFL with that paltry total, all five faces from last year's unit have returned to Dove Valley.

It is a rare occurrence on a pro roster for an offensive line to remain intact, and a benefit that will boost the new offense in 2009.

"Instead of saying, 'Hey, we have to go there,' you can just say, 'Left,' or 'Right,' or something that's familiar to that person," Ryan Harris said. "That gets that communication time cut down and we can move a lot faster as a unit. That's where it helps the most, in the communication."

A big addition to the Broncos' dominance up front was Ryan Clady. The 12th overall selection in the 2008 NFL Draft lived up to his potential, allowing an NFL-best 0.5 sacks in 16 starts at left tackle during his rookie campaign.

Now, Clady is prepared to join the veteran corps and repeat his same production from a year ago.

"It's nice to always have veterans on a line," Clady said. "Then we've got some youth as well, just out there trying to get better and improve, and I think it works well together."

Harris made the most of his second season in the league, playing all 1,019 offensive snaps as a 16-game starter at right tackle. Discipline proved to be his greatest asset, as he was charged with only two penalties on those 1,019 snaps - one false start and one holding infraction.

While Harris said he could not have dreamt of a better 2008 season, he's looking at a bigger picture in establishing himself among a great tradition of Broncos linemen.

"There have been guys who have done it better, longer, and that's something I hope to do and hope to be able to say when my career's done," Harris said.

Harris can look no further than two or three spots down on his own offensive line to find that talent.

Anchoring the middle of the unit is 14-year veteran Casey Wiegmann. Wiegmann's calling card has been durability over the last eight seasons, starting 127 consecutive games and playing every snap over that span. In his first season with Denver, he earned his first career trip to the Pro Bowl.

While younger players like Harris and Clady look to Wiegmann as their guide, the center said the success of the whole unit stems from each member carrying out their individual roles.

"Leadership is what it is, guys do their own job," Wiegmann said. "For me personally I'm a leader by example -- what I do on the field and off the field hopefully sends a message to the younger guys. For me, now it's just trying to groom somebody to come along and make them into a good player also."

Perhaps the most seasoned Bronco at grooming raw bodies into solid pieces on the line is eight-year veteran Ben Hamilton.

Hamilton has played all 6,000-plus snaps of his NFL career in Denver. He rebounded from the entire 2007 season with concussion symptoms, starting all 16 games at left guard in 2008.

On the other side of Hamilton stands another 16-game fixture in fourth-year guard Chris Kuper.

Kuper turned in 16 starts at right guard, and made his presence known in the interior of opposing defenses. He did not allow a single sack last season, standing as the only 16-game starting guard in the NFL to accomplish that feat.

A pair of 2008 rookies returns for their second stint with the club. Center Kory Lichtensteiger saw action in all 16 games last season, spending time on special teams and at H-back in goal-line situations. Tackle Tyler Polumbus saw action in 16 games on special teams, and was one of an NFL-high five Broncos rookies to see action in every game a year ago.

Coupled with the positives they produced last season, the veterans see great potential to add new techniques - ones that will create a new lineup of accolades this season.

"I think they've done a good job of incorporating what's worked for us in the past with what's worked for Coach in his past," Harris said. "We're excited as linemen, we feel like there's a lot of opportunities both in the run and pass games, so I think they've done a good job putting the two schools together."

THE NEW GUYS

Behind the blocks of those veterans, the Broncos averaged 4.8 yards per rush last season, which ranked third among all NFL squads.

Behind the blocks of then-Iowa right guard Seth Olsen Doak Walker Award winner and current New York Jets running back Shonn Greene rushed for 1,850 yards, which ranked second among all NCAA running backs.

When Olsen was selected by the Broncos in the fourth round (132nd pick overall), he was elated to become a part of the Denver dynamic.

"I was pumped, you know?," Olsen said. "I was really excited. I know they've had great production out of their offensive line and out of their running game for the last dozen years or so."

Similar thoughts crossed the mind of Olsen's roommate, center Blake Schlueter, on draft day. Selected in the seventh round (225th pick overall), Schlueter helped TCU rank 12th in the nation in rushing yards during his senior season, with 220.6 yards per game.

Thinking back to his days as a budding 11-year old, Schlueter remembered the likes of Tom Nalen, David Diaz-Infante, Dan Neil and Mark Schlereth, paving holes for the Broncos to win a pair of NFL championships.

"Growing up, historically, even before the Super Bowls, which is about as early as I really remember, they've had a great offensive line," Schlueter said. "They've had some great offensive production, and I'm glad to have the opportunity to be up here and be a part of it now."

The biggest veteran addition to the line was eighth-year pro Brandon Gorin. He arrives in Denver with experience working under Josh McDaniels, as a member of the Patriots from 2003 to 2005. Gorin started all three postseason games for New England in 2004, including its victory in Super Bowl XXXIX over Philadelphia.

Joining Schlueter and Olsen among the rookie class is undrafted college free agent Stanley Bryant. Bryant was a part of East Carolina's string of three consecutive victories over ranked opponents early in 2008, propelling the program to a No. 14 national ranking in the AP poll.

Second-year guards Pat Murray and Clint Oldenburg each spent most of last season on practice squads, with the Seattle Seahawks and St. Louis Rams, respectively. Both provide flexibility on the line - with Oldenburg's 34 games of experience at left tackle at Colorado State, and Murray's three-plus years at right tackle at Truman State.

Matt McChesney offers a different form of flexibility. Expected to compete at guard, McChesney is a converted defensive tackle, who has seen time on both sides of the line in his four career NFL games.

After spending his rookie season on the Broncos' practice squad, Mitch Erickson hopes to add to the team's consistency. The first-year guard started all 44 games during his tenure at South Dakota State University.

With a deep crop of players all vying for time, Olsen relayed the approach his new head coach wants each individual to take.

"A good friend of mine, he told me, 'Just be a sponge. Just absorb everything, try to learn as much as you can.' Then Coach McDaniels said, 'Just try to get to where you can compete when camp comes around.'"

OldschoolFreak
07-30-2009, 12:53 PM
My usual question. Does anyone know historically how many O-lineman we'll keep on the active Roster? Practice squad?

Traveler
07-30-2009, 01:15 PM
My usual question. Does anyone know historically how many O-lineman we'll keep on the active Roster? Practice squad?

Usually varies between 8-10.

OldschoolFreak
07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Ok, so who does that imply?

The five starters, Kory L, Tyler P, and presumably Olsen. That's 8 right there.

Anyone have any insight as to who might have the inside track on the remaining 0-2 spots?

Schlueter? Are the rest just camp fodder or are there some keepers there?

TXBRONC
07-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Ok, so who does that imply?

The five starters, Kory L, Tyler P, and presumably Olsen. That's 8 right there.

Anyone have any insight as to who might have the inside track on the remaining 0-2 spots?

Schlueter? Are the rest just camp fodder or are there some keepers there?

It seems that practice squad always carries a lineman or two from each side of the ball.

Tned
07-30-2009, 04:56 PM
Usually varies between 8-10.

I think we had 7 active for most games, not sure how many were on the roster last year.

TXBRONC
07-30-2009, 05:09 PM
I think we had 7 active for most games, not sure how many were on the roster last year.

Besides the starters Lichtensteiger and Polumbus were active for all 16 games.