PDA

View Full Version : This camp reminds me of 77

titan
07-30-2009, 09:07 AM
I started a new blog this week http://sportsindenver.blogspot.com/ and here's a copy of my first post:

As a denver broncos season ticket holder since 1968 I am having a strange sense of deja vu as the Broncos open training camp this week.

This 2009 Broncos season reminds me of the atmosphere just before the miracle 1977 season.

Consider in 1977 the Broncos:

fired their most successful head coach in team history (John Ralston)
hired the New England Patriots offensive coordinator as new coach (Red Miller)
were blown out in a late season game the year before to miss the playoffs (38-14 loss to new england in week 12)
entered the season with an imbalance - great defense, bad offense
entered the season with a new veteran starting quarterback acquired by trade (Craig Morton)

Fast forward to 2009, the Broncos:

fired their most successful head coach in team history (Mike Shanahan)
hired the New England Patriots offensive coordinator as new coach (Josh McDaniels)
were blown out in a late season game the year before to miss the playoffs (52-21 loss to san diego in week 17)
entered the season with an imbalance - great offense, bad defense
entered the season with a new veteran starting quarterback acquired by trade (Kyle Orton)

Both the 1977 edition and the 2009 edition of the Broncos had very difficult schedules.

1977:

St. Louis Cardinals 10 wins 4 losses in 1976
Buffalo Bills 2 wins 12 losses in 1976
@Seattle Seahawks 2 wins 12 losses in 1976
Kansas City Chiefs 5 wins 9 losses in 1976
@Oakland Raiders 13 wins 1 loss in 1976
@Cincinnati Bengals 10 wins 4 losses in 1976
Oakland Raiders 13 wins 1 loss in 1976
Pittsburgh Steelers 10 wins 4 losses in 1976
@San Diego Chargers 6 wins 8 losses in 1976
@Kansas City Chiefs 5 wins 9 losses in 1976
Baltimore Colts 11 wins 3 losses in 1976
@Houston Oilers 5 wins 9 losses in 1976
San Diego Chargers 6 wins 8 losses in 1976
@Dallas Cowboys 11 wins 3 losses in 1976

2009:
@Cincinnati 4 wins 11 losses 1 tie in 2008
Cleveland 4 wins 12 losses in 2008
@Oakland 5 wins 11 losses in 2008
Dallas 9 wins 7 losses in 2008
New England 11 wins 5 losses in 2008
@San Diego 8 wins 8 losses in 2008
@Baltimore 11 wins 5 losses in 2008
Pittsburgh 12 wins 4 losses in 2008
@Washington 8 wins 8 losses in 2008
San Diego 8 wins 8 losses in 2008
NY Giants 12 wins 4 losses in 2008
@Kansas City 2 wins 14 losses in 2008
@Indianapolis 12 wins 4 losses in 2008
Oakland 5 wins 11 losses in 2008
@Philadelphia 9 wins 6 losses 1 tie in 2008
Kansas City 2 wins 14 losses in 2008

Outside of the AFC West the Broncos faced five teams with 10 wins or more the previous season in 1977 and will face 5 teams with 10 wins or more the prior season outside the AFC West in 2009. Yes, in 1977 there was only a 14 game schedule, but the Broncos 2009 16 game schedule is comparable considering the 2009 team will also be playing two 9 win teams (Dallas and Philly) outside the division.

The 1977 Broncos had to rebuild a shaky offense. They had 3 new starters in the offensive line to start the season (Mike Montler center, Andy Mauer left tackle, Paul Howard right guard - howard had missed the 76 season with injury). The schedule started with a difficult but winnable game - against the 10-4 Cardinals at Mile High, followed by 3 games against weaker teams before the schedule got much tougher. The 77 team team struggled in the opener but had just enough to beat the Cardinals 7-0. Three wins against inferior teams put the Broncos at 4-0 heading into Oakland in week 5. That week 5 game was one of the best in Broncos history, a stunning 30-7 Denver win over the hated Raiders. Suddenly the Broncos were 5-0, with a win against the NFL's defending Super Bowl champion. The team's confidence grew game by game and they finished with a remarkable 12-2 record.

Just like thier 1977 counterparts, I think if the 2009 Broncos can get off to a good start in the soft early part of their schedule they can surprise. The 2009 Broncos have to rebuild a shaky defense and it's going to take a few games to get that unit performing at an acceptable level. The Cincinnati opener is going to be difficult but winnable (just like the 77 opener against the Cardinals) followed by two easier games (Cleveland, Oakland) before the schedule gets really tough.

No one predicted the 1977 Broncos would have a winning record, much less a Super Bowl season. "Red Miller's going to need at least a year to get his system in place", "No way the Broncos make the playoffs with that schedule", was heard around town.

I'm hearing the same barbs about Josh McDaniels and the 2009 Broncos. This long time fan has hope for 2009. I hear McDaniels saying the Broncos were too much of a finesse team last season, and he plans to implement a more physical, hard nosed style of play. Red Miller implemented a similar change in team chemistry in 1977.

Can history repeat itself? The patched up 77 Bronco offense started shaky but by December scored 34 points in a playoff win against one of the best defenses of the decade (Pittsburgh's Steel Curtain). Maybe a shaky 2009 Denver defense will gel as the season progresses, just like that '77 offense. Even with a new quarterback the 2009 Denver offense will be fine. I expect lots of points scored with the addition of rookie rb Knowshon Moreno to an already impressive set of skill players and a solid offensive line. While I don't anticipate the 2009 Broncos to reach the Super Bowl, I think it's far too early to write off the season. Just remember what happened in 77!

Elevation inc
07-30-2009, 09:15 AM
great correlation, while naysayers will abound and discount this the similarities are erie. and very much entertaining good job

most open minded fans are willing to wait for the season to begin before jumping to conclusions, however you will always have your blinded haters and kool-aid drinking clowns for either side of the situation.......

im more inclined to be excited about the direction of philosophy changes and focus towards balance and physicality as oppsed to some finesse crap, yet I remain cautiously optimistic about the personnel in key areas and our rookies untill i see some sort of results on the field.

Lonestar
07-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Good posts.

The only thing I see as an issuse is normally D wins championship.
That is what won us games in 77. Unless something HUGE happens on D fast playsoffs are not going happen.

LRtagger
07-30-2009, 09:33 AM
Great post...especially considering a heavy majority of members here weren't alive for that season to remember it (myself included).

Dirk
07-30-2009, 09:59 AM
I never would have went back and did the research you did...so good job titan!

Hopefully the Broncos can repeat the magic of that year and continue the sucess going forward!

Traveler
07-30-2009, 10:08 AM
Excellent work Titan! Glad to see I'm not the only "old head" here to remember that far back.:beer:

yardog
07-30-2009, 12:14 PM
The difference I see from 77 is that Red Miller didn't trade away Randy Gradishar. He tried to fix the weakness of the offense. :tsk: Sorry Titan great post I guess it's just hard for me to agree with with the trade of Cutler.:banghead:

Traveler
07-30-2009, 12:23 PM
The difference I see from 77 is that Red Miller didn't trade away Randy Gradishar. He tried to fix the weakness of the offense. :tsk: Sorry Titan great post I guess it's just hard for me to agree with with the trade of Cutler.:banghead:

Cmon Dog! Let it go man, football is back!:salute:

BroncoTech
07-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I have to say this is a nice write up, pretty good blog for your first one. Now if the 2009 Broncos get blown out by the Cowboys in the super bowl it will be "curse you Titan".

:lol:

Dean
07-30-2009, 06:11 PM
I have to say this is a nice write up, pretty good blog for your first one. Now if the 2009 Broncos get blown out by the Cowboys in the super bowl it will be "curse you Titan".

:lol:

This is an excellent post even if it was his 1000th post. If the Broncos in 2009 get blown out by anyone in the Super Bowl, it will rival the 'miracle on ice" (US hockey team defeating the Russians in the olympics).

horsepig
07-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Hey, Titan and other old timers, remember Touchdown Turner's TD reception from Norris Weese on a fake field goal? That effing play payed the damned Raiders back pretty big time for some really big debts. Yahoo!

titan
07-30-2009, 09:50 PM
Hey, Titan and other old timers, remember Touchdown Turner's TD reception from Norris Weese on a fake field goal? That effing play payed the damned Raiders back pretty big time for some really big debts. Yahoo!

One of my favorite all time Bronco plays! In fact if you had to narrow it down to one play where the Broncos turned from losers to contenders that play would be it. Not only did we beat the Raiders that day, we laughed at them doing it! (it's all over Fat Man!)

Tned
07-30-2009, 10:00 PM
Excellent work Titan! Glad to see I'm not the only "old head" here to remember that far back.:beer:

I must admit that only Orange and Blue I was following in '77 was Dave Kingman and the Mets.

Nice write up, though.

horsepig
07-30-2009, 10:11 PM
One of my favorite all time Bronco plays! In fact if you had to narrow it down to one play where the Broncos turned from losers to contenders that play would be it. Not only did we beat the Raiders that day, we laughed at them doing it! (it's all over Fat Man!)

Ay the Oakland-Alameda Memorial Stadium to boot! LOL.

Weese lobbed that ball a mile hi and Jim T. just pounded it out like a 300 lb. insurance salesman while every Bronco fan in the world screamed, "Oh,NO! He overthrew him!'. But Turner just kept pounding it out until the ball fell softly into his arms as he plodded on in from about the 10!

Definitely one of the alltime greatest Bronco plays!

hotcarl
07-30-2009, 10:21 PM
yeah the NFL is totally the same game now

nice try though...

East Coast Fan
07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Ay the Oakland-Alameda Memorial Stadium to boot! LOL.

Weese lobbed that ball a mile hi and Jim T. just pounded it out like a 300 lb. insurance salesman while every Bronco fan in the world screamed, "Oh,NO! He overthrew him!'. But Turner just kept pounding it out until the ball fell softly into his arms as he plodded on in from about the 10!

Definitely one of the alltime greatest Bronco plays!

And also that we intercepted Stabler 7 TIMES in that game!!! Could you imagine what would happen to a quarterback that would throw 7 picks in one game nowadays?

That was a great team and season....:salute:

FanInAZ
07-31-2009, 02:53 PM
Great post...especially considering a heavy majority of members here weren't alive for that season to remember it (myself included).

I was 8

OrangeHoof
07-31-2009, 06:13 PM
I was in college in '77.

But here's the big problem with this comparison: The 1976 Broncos had a solid defense and a weak offense. So they hired an offensive head coach. The 2008 Broncos had a solid offense and a weak defense. So they hired an offensive head coach who immediately scrapped the offense and sent the QB packing.

Plus, Red Miller's best move was keeping the existing defensive coordinator (Joe Collier) who was the architect of the Orange Crush defense. The 1977 Broncos still sucked on offense but they were improved from the year before. It was the defense that raised their game. McDaniels won't be able to get better numbers out of the offense than they had last year so it will all be on upgrading the defense which is not his area of expertise.

horsepig
07-31-2009, 10:21 PM
Bite it Carl.

East Coast Fan
08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
I was in college in '77.

But here's the big problem with this comparison: The 1976 Broncos had a solid defense and a weak offense. So they hired an offensive head coach. The 2008 Broncos had a solid offense and a weak defense. So they hired an offensive head coach who immediately scrapped the offense and sent the QB packing.

Plus, Red Miller's best move was keeping the existing defensive coordinator (Joe Collier) who was the architect of the Orange Crush defense. The 1977 Broncos still sucked on offense but they were improved from the year before. It was the defense that raised their game. McDaniels won't be able to get better numbers out of the offense than they had last year so it will all be on upgrading the defense which is not his area of expertise.

I was always a little suprised back then that Miller had the offense play "field-position" a lot of the game, and relied on that great defense to hold the other team down because there actually was very good talent there; Morton was pretty immobile but he could really throw the football, Moses, Dolbin and Upchurch at wideouts were dangerous, Odoms was a freight train at tight end, and yet he still went with the "running by commitee" instead of using Armstrong as the feature back. And the o-line was pretty solid, especially Glassic and Minor. They had their moments, but also didn't rip it up all the time either.

horsepig
08-06-2009, 08:31 PM
Shut up Carl.

titan
09-28-2009, 03:12 PM
So far my 77 reunion tour is right on schedule. Despite the tough matchups on paper, I really liked how the 2009 schedule was setup. With some easier games at the start to build the team's confidence before getting into the meat of the schedule (just like 77). I must admit the defense is much further along than I expected after 3 games, while the offense has been slower to develop.

This week's Dallas matchup is the toughest yet, but I like the Broncos chances. Dallas will be coming off a Monday night game with a short week of preparation, and with a talented yet mistake prone young quarterback. Denver wins.

honz
09-28-2009, 03:27 PM
No offense, but you must be old. :D

Nah, your observations seem to be right on point so far.

titan
09-28-2009, 04:00 PM
Yep I'm an old fart :-) Never gets old seeing the Broncos winning in Oakland

titan
10-04-2009, 11:51 PM
77 reunion tour update:

This from Frank Schwab of the Colo Springs Gazette:

Denver is tied for fifth-fewest points allowed in 1st four games since 1970 NFL merger. Among the teams tied for 5th - '77 Broncos

And the 2009 Broncos did something today that the 77 Broncos couldn't - they beat the Cowboys!

Lonestar
10-04-2009, 11:55 PM
77 reunion tour update:

This from Frank Schwab of the Colo Springs Gazette:

Denver is tied for fifth-fewest points allowed in 1st four games since 1970 NFL merger. Among the teams tied for 5th - '77 Broncos

And the 2009 Broncos did something today that the 77 Broncos couldn't - they beat the Cowboys!

I was thinking about this thread today during the game..

glad you revived it..

wondering what kind of name they are going to get..

titan
10-19-2009, 11:43 PM
6-0 start! Just like the 77 team!

I really thought tonight was going to be a speed bump for the Broncos (their first loss) but they surprised me. When a team gets on a roll, just like that 77 team, the tough games before the season don't look so tough anymore.

That 77 team lost their 7th game to go 6-1. Will the 2009 Broncos even do better than that with a win in Baltimore in two weeks? I wouldn't bet against it!

Nomad
11-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Ironically titan, we got our butts kicked by the Raiders on that 7th game (which the ravens did the same) and the following week we played the Steelers to win 21-7.....hopefully the outcome is the same!!!

BTW, I don't remember 77 as I was 4 yrs old so thanks to the tradition section of denverbroncos.com

titan
11-01-2009, 05:17 PM
As Nomad pointed out, that 77 team did lose its 7th game of the season to go 6-1, just like the 2009 Broncos!

In 77 the Broncos lost at home in week 7 24-14 to the Raiders. The doubters came out of the closet, saying the earlier Bronco 30-7 win in Oakland was a fluke, and that Denver wasn't that good. What did the Broncos do? After the oakland loss they went on a six game winning streak!

As I said in another thread I expect the 2009 Broncos to bounce back next week against the Steelers at home (just like those 77 Broncos beating Pittsburgh at Mile High in week 8!)