PDA

View Full Version : Upon Further Review

Ziggy
08-11-2012, 02:23 AM
I went back and watched the first half of last night's game again to break things down a bit. Here's a few tidbits:

Ty Warren was doubled on most of the first team snaps. Meanwhile, Kevin Vickerson lived in the Bears backfield. He was getting penetration on both run and pass plays. It looks like his man was on roller skates for most of the first two series.

There's a reason that all of the linebackers looked good in this game. The Jack Del Rio defensive scheme is in full effect. The defensive lineman are maintaining gap control, collapsing the pocket, and taking up double teams. As a result, the linebackers were running free all night long. The Bears offensive line rarely got to the second level. Great job by all of the Dlineman. The tackling was solid, and players swarming to the ball again.

Derek Wolfe was solid on the inside. His first sack came on a stunt where he didn't get any penetration, but held contain in the middle and caught the QB as he was flushed out of the pocket.

Joel Dreeson was on Franklin's hip during the first series and did a great job of blocking. The Broncos ran exclusively on the right side behind those two with the first teamers.

Orlando Franklin played RG during the second series.

Chris Clark may have looked good during camp, but he looked awful in the game.

Ayers played like a man who wants his starting job back. He looked significantly quicker than he did last season and was playing with some fire.

Other than 1 play with about a minute left in the first quarter, it looked like we finally have a real FB again in Gronkowski.

Tony Hills needs another season on the practice squad.

The Broncos went very vanilla on defense, rushing four most of the time. The Bears aren't going anywhere until they get some offensive lineman.

I always like to go back and rewatch games in the preseason. I don't think that the Bears are much of a test with thier current offensive line and Peppers, Forte, and Urlacher out. The Broncos did exactly what they should have with that team. They dominated them in every phase of the game. Next week will be a good test for our offensive line, not so much for the defensive line again.

Simple Jaded
08-11-2012, 02:51 AM
Tony Hills was drafted in 2008 and didn't play til 2010, not sure he has PS eligibility left? And speaking of OL, the Broncos may need to re-evaluate of few of theirs.......

iLands
08-11-2012, 09:01 AM
What was your impression of Brocko, Ziggy?

Northman
08-11-2012, 09:05 AM
Good writeup Ziggy.

Dzone
08-11-2012, 09:38 AM
Good information.

rjent
08-11-2012, 11:11 AM
I went back and watched the first half of last night's game again to break things down a bit. Here's a few tidbits:

Ty Warren was doubled on most of the first team snaps. Meanwhile, Kevin Vickerson lived in the Bears backfield. He was getting penetration on both run and pass plays. It looks like his man was on roller skates for most of the first two series.

There's a reason that all of the linebackers looked good in this game. The Jack Del Rio defensive scheme is in full effect. The defensive lineman are maintaining gap control, collapsing the pocket, and taking up double teams. As a result, the linebackers were running free all night long. The Bears offensive line rarely got to the second level. Great job by all of the Dlineman. The tackling was solid, and players swarming to the ball again.

Derek Wolfe was solid on the inside. His first sack came on a stunt where he didn't get any penetration, but held contain in the middle and caught the QB as he was flushed out of the pocket.

Joel Dreeson was on Franklin's hip during the first series and did a great job of blocking. The Broncos ran exclusively on the right side behind those two with the first teamers.

Orlando Franklin played RG during the second series.

Chris Clark may have looked good during camp, but he looked awful in the game.

Ayers played like a man who wants his starting job back. He looked significantly quicker than he did last season and was playing with some fire.

Other than 1 play with about a minute left in the first quarter, it looked like we finally have a real FB again in Gronkowski.

Tony Hills needs another season on the practice squad.

The Broncos went very vanilla on defense, rushing four most of the time. The Bears aren't going anywhere until they get some offensive lineman.

I always like to go back and rewatch games in the preseason. I don't think that the Bears are much of a test with thier current offensive line and Peppers, Forte, and Urlacher out. The Broncos did exactly what they should have with that team. They dominated them in every phase of the game. Next week will be a good test for our offensive line, not so much for the defensive line again.

Outstanding review dude!

I have watched the game three times (thank God football is back! LOL). Your eval is right on. Not that the game was much of a test, but it still shows what could happen when the season starts. Lots and lots of very positive things to say about the "first" outing. This may be a year to remember. All three QB's doing great jobs, although a few dropped passes marred part of the effort, mostly very solid play from everyone. For the first time in a decade, Xavier Omon actually reminded me of TD. His power, speed and decision making is going to be fun to watch. Tackling was just awesome.

Maybe John E knows what he is doing .... :D

Ziggy
08-11-2012, 01:40 PM
What was your impression of Brocko, Ziggy?

The talent is evident. He has a rocket arm, great height, and can make all the throws. He looks comfortable in the pocket already. His one poblem is the one that every rookie QB has. He takes too much time to go through his progressions. The game hasn't slowed down for him yet. I'm guessing that by the end of preseason, he'll look a little bit more refined. I still think that the Broncos go with him and Manning on the active roster and put Weber on the PS again. They could use the extra roster spot for whoever wins the primary kick returner spot. (Squid or Leonhard is my guess)

Cugel
08-11-2012, 04:54 PM
The Bears offensive line was supposed to be improved over last season, but it looked horrible out there.

I don't know if that means the Broncos DL is really that good or the Bears are really that bad. Wolfe for instance was consistently pushing his man.

Yet we know he weighs 295 lbs. which is rather light to be bull-rushing 330 lbs. OL straight into the backfield.

I'm encouraged, but I'm going to wait to see this kind of effort repeated in future games before I conclude anything.

But, Peyton Manning looked exactly like Peyton Manning always looks. If he's as good as this all season long, I see nothing that can prevent the Broncos from winning the division and hosting a playoff game at the very least.

The LBs looked good, but outside of LBs you'd be hard pressed to name a unit that is really weak.

The OL did a good job but it wasn't a real test without Julius Peppers and Brian Urlacher in there. I hope they continue to play solidly.

Chef Zambini
08-12-2012, 03:12 AM
so just going to avoid discussing the QB listed as #2 on the depth chart?
(haine)
This guy is taking away reps from other QBs whose time and roster spots are justified!
#2, thats more of a discription than an evaluation,
the guy played like sh... #2 !

12and4
08-12-2012, 03:53 AM
so just going to avoid discussing the QB listed as #2 on the depth chart?
(haine)
This guy is taking away reps from other QBs whose time and roster spots are justified!
#2, thats more of a discription than an evaluation,
the guy played like sh... #2 !

first, don't quit your day job...
#2, he wasn't all that bad lol... but i'd rather see ossy get those reps.

Lets see if they change it up for this weeks game vs the chickens.

Ziggy
08-12-2012, 01:56 PM
The Bears offensive line was supposed to be improved over last season, but it looked horrible out there.

I don't know if that means the Broncos DL is really that good or the Bears are really that bad. Wolfe for instance was consistently pushing his man.

Yet we know he weighs 295 lbs. which is rather light to be bull-rushing 330 lbs. OL straight into the backfield.

I'm encouraged, but I'm going to wait to see this kind of effort repeated in future games before I conclude anything.

But, Peyton Manning looked exactly like Peyton Manning always looks. If he's as good as this all season long, I see nothing that can prevent the Broncos from winning the division and hosting a playoff game at the very least.

The LBs looked good, but outside of LBs you'd be hard pressed to name a unit that is really weak.

The OL did a good job but it wasn't a real test without Julius Peppers and Brian Urlacher in there. I hope they continue to play solidly.

Wolfe weighed 300 at the combine and he said in an interview that he put on 7-8 pounds to get ready for the season. He may only be 307, but that kid is country strong. Offensive tackles are going to have a hard time handling him on the edge this season when he's playing DE. Guards and centers are going to have a hard time dealing with his quickness on the inside. He looks like a mismatch across the board.