PDA

View Full Version : Broncos 31, Bears 3: Win shows Broncos depth

Denver Native (Carol)
08-10-2012, 05:07 PM
Chicago — It’s true preseason games mean little. The 2008 Detroit Lions went 4-0 in the preseason, then 0-16 in the regular season. The 2006 Peyton Manning-led Indianapolis Colts went 0-5 in the preseason, and went on to win the Super Bowl.

But what preseason play can demonstrate is a team’s depth. The way the Broncos dominated the game with their first team, second team, third team and fourth team shows that when these guys practice against each other, they’re practicing against stiff competition. Either that or the Bears are extremely thin in talent.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/08/09/observations-broncos-31-bears-3/14800/

tomjonesrocks
08-11-2012, 11:05 AM
I was as impressed overall as anyone but the Bears teed Denver up. The didn't play any of their studs, and the Brincos firsts we're against their seconds, our seconds against their thirds, etc, all night. It made them look terrible and Denver great but whatever.

Chicago is a serious SB contender and I expect to see them roll to the NFCCG with little difficulty if they stay healthy.

underrated29
08-11-2012, 12:00 PM
I was as impressed overall as anyone but the Bears teed Denver up. The didn't play any of their studs, and the Brincos firsts we're against their seconds, our seconds against their thirds, etc, all night. It made them look terrible and Denver great but whatever.

Chicago is a serious SB contender and I expect to see them roll to the NFCCG with little difficulty if they stay healthy.

You sure?
I'm pretty sure that the bears played their starting Ol into the 2nd and the only 3 starters who did play were jay, Matt and peppers.

Northman
08-11-2012, 12:21 PM
Uh Lance Briggs is a Stud and he played. lmao

I cant believe someone just said they are a shoe in for the NFCCG especially with their Oline woes. Omazing.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2012, 12:27 PM
Uh Lance Briggs is a Stud and he played. lmao

I cant believe someone just said they are a shoe in for the NFCCG especially with their Oline woes. Omazing.

Not really, North. MANY believe that the Bears were the best team in the NFL at the end of last season had it not been for the injury to Cutler. That's including GB. Many believe that the Bears were playing better football.

So although their OL is bad, if it just improved a little bit over last year, it may be "good enough" for now. Although, their OL is one of the worst in the NFL.

Northman
08-11-2012, 12:34 PM
Not really, North. MANY believe that the Bears were the best team in the NFL at the end of last season had it not been for the injury to Cutler. That's including GB. Many believe that the Bears were playing better football.

So although their OL is bad, if it just improved a little bit over last year, it may be "good enough" for now. Although, their OL is one of the worst in the NFL.

Im not saying they wont be in the mix but they are not ahead of some of the other teams in that conference. A lot of the protection Jay was getting was from some smoke and mirrors which will only work for so long. They still have some serious issues on the Oline.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Im not saying they wont be in the mix but they are not ahead of some of the other teams in that conference. A lot of the protection Jay was getting was from some smoke and mirrors which will only work for so long. They still have some serious issues on the Oline.

Absolutely they do. But I'm not sure I agree with the "smoke and mirrors" thing, because I just don't know what that means. They were simply out playing their opposing teams last year...both offensively and defensively. I don't know if they will play as well this year as they did last, just as I don't expect GB to play as well as they did last year. But even though their OL is atrocious (and I absolutely agree with you that they are).... they still played GB, Minnesota, and Detroit twice each last year with an OL was probably worse than this one.

Honestly, it does say a lot about how much a QB can help an OL and why I don't think our OL is going to be nearly as bad as people believe it is.

Northman
08-11-2012, 12:47 PM
Absolutely they do. But I'm not sure I agree with the "smoke and mirrors" thing, because I just don't know what that means. They were simply out playing their opposing teams last year...both offensively and defensively. I don't know if they will play as well this year as they did last, just as I don't expect GB to play as well as they did last year. But even though their OL is atrocious (and I absolutely agree with you that they are).... they still played GB, Minnesota, and Detroit twice each last year with an OL was probably worse than this one.

Honestly, it does say a lot about how much a QB can help an OL and why I don't think our OL is going to be nearly as bad as people believe it is.

What i mean by smoke and mirrors is they had to add extra protection just to give Jay a little time because they cant do it with the just line itself. But unfortuantely by doing that they give Jay less targets (back or TE) because they have to pass protect most of the time. Its fine to mix that kind of thing up but they were doing it almost exclusively and there were times that Jay had no one too throw too. Marshall will be a huge help but if the protection doesnt get better Jay will be back on the IR because he just wont survive the season. If anything, health will be the biggest concern for Chicago going into this season.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2012, 12:52 PM
What i mean by smoke and mirrors is they had to add extra protection just to give Jay a little time because they cant do it with the just line itself. But unfortuantely by doing that they give Jay less targets (back or TE) because they have to pass protect most of the time. Its fine to mix that kind of thing up but they were doing it almost exclusively and there were times that Jay had no one too throw too. Marshall will be a huge help but if the protection doesnt get better Jay will be back on the IR because he just wont survive the season. If anything, health will be the biggest concern for Chicago going into this season.

I completely agree with this. I just think their OL might be better.. but hell... as you said, injuries because of that OL is going to be a huge concern for them. Cutler can't tkeep taking the abuse like he has the last couple of years, because when they need him the most, he's been injured.

silkamilkamonico
08-11-2012, 01:56 PM
The Bears are the third best team in their own division. I think Denver showed they have better players than Chicago from top to bottom. Although an exhibition, still an ass kick.

Cugel
08-11-2012, 05:31 PM

I have to agree with this.

I don't think the Bears can possibly beat the Packers for the division title, but they could easily make the playoffs as a wild-card and plenty of wild-cards have gone to the SB.

Everything in the NFL comes down to your QB. The Giants aren't even a 8-8 team without Eli Manning. If he was injured last year, they would have been last in their division. With him they are SB champions.

Both the Bears and Texans had lost seasons once their QBs went down. In the modern NFL you are going to go as far as your elite QB takes you. Cutler is still a top 12 QB even if he can't compare with the Mannings, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, or Drew Brees.

If Manning stays healthy and plays like he did in this pre-season game (a big if), I see no reason why the Broncos cannot play in the AFC Championship game. He's that good and we all know it.

Remember that the ONE year the Colts won their SB their defense went on a tear down the stretch. A LOT will depend on our starting defense staying healthy.

But you have to love reading this comment from Decker:

“I can’t believe all the starters we have on this team,” said Broncos receiver Eric Decker. “I mean you look at our depth chart and Drayton Florence and Chris Harris are on the second team. I go against those guys every day in practice and I’m telling you those guys are starters.”

topscribe
08-11-2012, 06:12 PM

Well, that's encouraging, then, because Denver played toe-to-toe with Chicago
last year when both teams had bad QBs, and Denver didn't have the defense it
promises to have this year . . .

12and4
08-12-2012, 03:54 AM

They had their starting OL in with our 2nd DL... and we dominated.

underrated29
08-12-2012, 09:13 AM
I have to agree with this.

I don't think the Bears can possibly beat the Packers for the division title, but they could easily make the playoffs as a wild-card and plenty of wild-cards have gone to the SB.

Everything in the NFL comes down to your QB. The Giants aren't even a 8-8 team without Eli Manning. If he was injured last year, they would have been last in their division. With him they are SB champions.

Both the Bears and Texans had lost seasons once their QBs went down. In the modern NFL you are going to go as far as your elite QB takes you. Cutler is still a top 12 QB even if he can't compare with the Mannings, Tom Brady, Ben Roethlisberger, or Drew Brees.

If Manning stays healthy and plays like he did in this pre-season game (a big if), I see no reason why the Broncos cannot play in the AFC Championship game. He's that good and we all know it.

Remember that the ONE year the Colts won their SB their defense went on a tear down the stretch. A LOT will depend on our starting defense staying healthy.

But you have to love reading this comment from Decker:

That decker quote is exciting cugel. Where did you find it? I'd love to read what else he had to say, if there was anything else.

MOtorboat
08-12-2012, 09:37 AM
That decker quote is exciting cugel. Where did you find it? I'd love to read what else he had to say, if there was anything else.

Click on Carol's link UR.

:tsk: