PDA

View Full Version : Ravens may explore trade for Broncos’ Marshall

DenBronx
07-30-2009, 01:15 AM
Hey guys I didn't see this posted anywhere. I don't have a whole lot of time to post regulary anymore so forgive me if this is old news.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AicIB8LKHY2nXyZCkf0aPkFDubYF?slug=jc-ravensmarshall072909&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

Two NFL sources said the Baltimore Ravens may revisit the idea of trading for unhappy Denver Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall(notes) if veteran Derrick Mason(notes) doesn’t return from his sudden retirement.

This comes after the Ravens were unsuccessful in getting veteran Drew Bennett(notes) to return. Bennett passed a physical last week, but then complained about an old knee injury before deciding to not play.

Bennett’s decision and Mason’s retirement earlier this month have left the Ravens in a lurch at wide receiver. The Ravens think Mason’s retirement was partly a ploy to help get more money from the team. (Mason had asked to renegotiate his deal earlier in the offseason.)

“The Ravens need a real receiver; they always have,” one league source said. “They got by last season with Mason and [Mark] Clayton because the running game was good and the defense was awesome. It was the usual formula. But they have to get somebody in there or the window is going to close on the [Ray] Lewis Era.

“Plus, they have to help out [second-year quarterback Joe] Flacco.”

The Ravens have declined to comment. However, team history would indicate they aren’t likely to make the deal. General manager Ozzie Newsome doesn’t like to give up high draft picks, could be concerned about Marshall’s history of off-field problems and likely wouldn’t want to pay the large contract Marshall is seeking.

Marshall is one of several unhappy wide receivers. In addition, Cincinnati’s Chad Ochocinco(notes) and Cleveland’s Braylon Edwards(notes) are reportedly hoping to be traded. However, the Bengals have steadfastly refused to deal Ochocinco and the Browns are unlikely to trade Edwards to a division rival.

That leaves Marshall, who asked for a trade earlier this offseason, as the most likely candidate if the Ravens are able to make a move. The Broncos have been coy about dealing Marshall, indicating to several media outlets that they aren’t shopping Marshall but will listen to offers for him.

Shazam!
07-30-2009, 01:35 AM
...could be concerned about Marshall’s history of off-field problems...

Really?

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
07-30-2009, 11:37 AM
Guess we would be getting all picks because I don't know much on that roster that we'd reasonably want and get

Northman
07-30-2009, 11:43 AM
Guess we would be getting all picks because I don't know much on that roster that we'd reasonably want and get

Exactly. Bmore really has nothing of real value to offer Denver for Marshall. There is a sentiment on the Mane that Denver would like Ngata and a 1st or 2nd but considering Marshall's issues off the field there is just no way that Bmore will do something like that. My guess is that Bmore would offer no more than a 2nd or 3rd at best and i know Denver wont do that. Bmore might be desperate for legitimate wideout but they wont give up the farm to do it. Especially with an anchor like Ngata who is a true force on their defense.

Poet
07-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Exactly. Bmore really has nothing of real value to offer Denver for Marshall. There is a sentiment on the Mane that Denver would like Ngata and a 1st or 2nd but considering Marshall's issues off the field there is just no way that Bmore will do something like that. My guess is that Bmore would offer no more than a 2nd or 3rd at best and i know Denver wont do that. Bmore might be desperate for legitimate wideout but they wont give up the farm to do it. Especially with an anchor like Ngata who is a true force on their defense.

Exactly. While many fans may not understand the worth of a dominant DT, the Ravens and NFL teams certainly do. The Ravens have some young talent at WR, but they really do need help right now. I think that the payout would be something along the lines of one of their younger WRs and a 2 and 4th or straight up for a first rounder.

The funny thing about trades involving WRs is that they rarely make any sense. Deion Branch was worth a first rounder to the Seahawks but the Patriots only had to give up a 4th rounder to get Randy Moss. Granted there were a FEW questions about Moss' health and mental state, but it was a pretty safe bet that his play would make that one of the most lopsided trades in recent memory.

Chad Johnson (I refuse to call him Ocho Cinco) was worth a first and third round pick minimum to the Redskins last season. There were rumors that Chad Johnson was still worth a first round pick to a few teams this year.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't be shocked if Marshall was worth a first rounder and change to some teams and a 4th rounder at best to others.

Traveler
07-30-2009, 12:01 PM

Also according to Hotrod, Brandon will be a Giant tomorrow!:coffee:

Northman
07-30-2009, 12:07 PM

Who's Hotrod? :confused:;)

underrated29
07-30-2009, 12:13 PM

For real??

**i have to go talk to dortoh

Lonestar
07-30-2009, 01:54 PM

as long as we get atleast a first for him good riddance..

underrated29
07-30-2009, 02:04 PM
nah nah - he said it was a gimmick thread. Not a for real thing.

Jr thats the first common sense thing you have said regarding brandon lately.

I thought for sure you would gladly let him walk for a low 2nd or 3rd.

Traveler
07-30-2009, 02:06 PM

I know, just trying to stir the pot...:D

Overtime
07-30-2009, 02:08 PM
might be worth it if they wanted to give up Terrell Suggs....:D

LRtagger
07-30-2009, 02:13 PM
I would have thought Suggs might have been a legit option until they signed him to that huge deal.

dogfish
07-30-2009, 02:14 PM

man, please! did the mane get taken over by a bunch of twelve-year-old fanbois? i see no way the vultures would even consider ngata for marshall straight-up, let alone throwing in a pick! that's just crazy talk, wishes and dreams. . . you couldn't make that trade on madden. . .

ozzie newsome isn't dan snyder! :lol:

underrated29
07-30-2009, 03:02 PM
Chris Mortensen of espn said that he has rumors of Braylon lining up opposite of Marshall HERE in Denver.

dont know anymore than that, just what i saw in their little chat thingy.

But a good point was made that maybe a 3 team swing is in the works. We get bray, someone gets brandon and someone else like...eehhh washington gets screwed by us again.

dogfish
07-30-2009, 03:06 PM
i remember hearing weeks back that we were considering some kind of trade of marshall for edwards. . . i really hope it's not true. . . .

silkamilkamonico
07-30-2009, 03:07 PM
There is a sentiment on the Mane that Denver would like Ngata and a 1st or 2nd but considering Marshall's issues off the field there is just no way that Bmore will do something like that.

LMAO

That trade wouldn't even work for Madden.

Somebody's smoking the football ignorance reefer.......

LRtagger
07-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Mortinson is a dumbass anyways

Lonestar
07-30-2009, 04:13 PM

guess you can't see my SIG which I have had up for months..

bronc kid
07-31-2009, 02:14 PM

i think we would want someone like terrell suggs and h.nagta or however you spell his name but denver would easily trade for that

and even so why would they go after brandon marshall when there is plaxico burress in the free agency

plus why do you guys want to shop brandon marshall he is the reason why we won some of those games last year and the year before

and another thing why would denver want braylon edwards i mean seriously he has more drops than catches and he caught alot of passes

Nature Boy
07-31-2009, 02:30 PM

Why would B-more give up Haloti Ngata and a high draft pick?

We would be lucky to get Ngata alone.

OldschoolFreak
07-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Why would B-more give up Haloti Ngata and a high draft pick?

We would be lucky to get Ngata alone.

We would. But I'd be psyched if we did.

horsepig
07-31-2009, 10:55 PM
Ozzie will not sell the farm for a fooked up possesion receiver. Done, period.

jhildebrand
08-01-2009, 12:19 AM
Ozzie will not sell the farm for a fooked up possesion receiver. Done, period.

Not yet anyway. Things could change quickly if Mason doesn't return which they seem to be counting on, an injury, another interested team (especially a AFC N team).

I imagine the Marshall saga will get better before it gets worse. What remains to be seen is how much McD learned from the Cutler ordeal.

Nomad
08-01-2009, 06:28 AM

I trust what you say though if Ngata is as good as advertised, I'd fly to Denver and help Marshall pack and would make sure Ngata would get to Denver safely and roll out the red carpet (is he that good??). I agree Baltimore would be IDIOTS to trade their anchor on the defense for a disgruntled WR who does have skills especially since Baltimore is defense first and offense second team. But one can only dream!!!

BTW, how pissed would Ngata be if this were to happen!!!!

Poet
08-01-2009, 08:20 AM
I trust what you say though if Ngata is as good as advertised, I'd fly to Denver and help Marshall pack and would make sure Ngata would get to Denver safely and roll out the red carpet (is he that good??). I agree Baltimore would be IDIOTS to trade their anchor on the defense for a disgruntled WR who does have skills especially since Baltimore is defense first and offense second team. But one can only dream!!!

BTW, how pissed would Ngata be if this were to happen!!!!

Ngata could very well be the most underrated defensive player in the NFL. He's a hulking 300 pounder who is so agile that he lines up at DE from time to time. Dude is no joke.

Nomad
08-01-2009, 09:08 AM
Ngata could very well be the most underrated defensive player in the NFL. He's a hulking 300 pounder who is so agile that he lines up at DE from time to time. Dude is no joke.

I haven't followed the Ravens so thanks for the review!!

SoCalImport
08-01-2009, 09:30 AM

More like 340lbs.

He's the youngest of the leagues top flight NTs. The only guys that compare might be Wilfork and Hampton, but again. Ngata is much younger than those guys.

Not a chance in hell Baltimore lets him go.

Poet
08-01-2009, 09:52 AM
More like 340lbs.

He's the youngest of the leagues top flight NTs. The only guys that compare might be Wilfork and Hampton, but again. Ngata is much younger than those guys.

Not a chance in hell Baltimore lets him go.

Yeah, he is a massive massive man. I remember when he almost fell to my Bengals....oh what could have been. The only DT's I would take over him are Haynesworth and Hampton. Hampton is starting to slow down and while Haynesworth is the most dominanting tackle, he's a head case.

Ngata is going to be a dominant force in the NFL for a very long time.

EMB6903
08-01-2009, 01:07 PM
Ngata is untouchable.... Ozzie is a great GM who isnt stupid enough to trade a dominant NT for a WR... It doesnt matter if its Larry Fitzgerald... Ngata isnt getting traded nor is he in trade talks...

please people, lets stop the Ngata trade rumors.

Nomad
08-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Ngata is untouchable.... Ozzie is a great GM who isnt stupid enough to trade a dominant NT for a WR... It doesnt matter if its Larry Fitzgerald... Ngata isnt getting traded nor is he in trade talks...

please people, lets stop the Ngata trade rumors.

True! It sounds like Mason returned to the team anyway!!