PDA

View Full Version : Scott & Al talk with Denver Broncos LB Wesley Woodyard

Denver Native (Carol)
07-29-2009, 10:49 PM
http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1120258

silkamilkamonico
07-30-2009, 03:16 PM
Anyone else not enamored with Woodyard as a starter?

He's a good special teamers, but let's get real, the gu ywas a low draft pick who ended up starting for arguably the worst defense in the NFL. I think that's more of a testament to just how bad the players on the team were last year rather than how good Woodyard is. I don't think he would start for 75%+ of the teams in the NFL.

LRtagger
07-30-2009, 03:18 PM
I dunno I thought he played admirably last year. I expect to see him as a situational player and backup this year. I am excited to have him on the team.

silkamilkamonico
07-30-2009, 03:20 PM
I dunno I thought he played admirably last year. I expect to see him as a situational player and backup this year. I am excited to have him on the team.

I think he's definetely a quality contributor and someone you want on the team, it's just I see so many people pushing for him to start and I'm not sure I would go that far.

Ravage!!!
07-30-2009, 03:24 PM
Its hard to say he wouldn't start of 75% of the other teams, when he played on a defense that was poor in talent. How can we judge him as a player, as an individual, when the whole was such a mess.

I think he's a fine player. He may even be a very good player....we don't know because the surrounding cast around him certainly didn't let us see much of anyone.

I mean... if we were judging Champ Bailey on last year's performance and saying that he started on the worst defense in the NFL, would we say he was one of the best in the NFL?

silkamilkamonico
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Its hard to say he wouldn't start of 75% of the other teams, when he played on a defense that was poor in talent. How can we judge him as a player, as an individual, when the whole was such a mess.

I think he's a fine player. He may even be a very good player....we don't know because the surrounding cast around him certainly didn't let us see much of anyone.

I mean... if we were judging Champ Bailey on last year's performance and saying that he started on the worst defense in the NFL, would we say he was one of the best in the NFL?

Perhaps he was elevated to starter because of injuries, and "poor talent". It's not like the complexion of our defense changed when he was in, not that anyone would expect that from him or anybody.

And comparing a CB, who's level of play is almost purely dictated on what's happening along the front 7, and a LB, who's level of influence is half the dline and half him, is absurd.

Ravage!!!
07-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Perhaps he was elevated to starter because of injuries, and "poor talent". It's not like the complexion of our defense changed when he was in, not that anyone would expect that from him or anybody.

And comparing a CB, who's level of play is almost purely dictated on what's happening along the front 7, and a LB, who's level of influence is half the dline and half him, is absurd.

No. I wasn't arguing with you that he MAY not be a very good player, and comparing the different positions based on the criteria I stated, is NOT absurd in the least.

If you were to simply look at Champ Bailey's stats and play.. LAST YEAR.. and state that "he didn't even play well AND he started for the worst defense in the NFL"... you wouldn't think much of Champ Bailey, either. Thats not absurd, thats REAL.

If the CB position is almost PURELY dictated on whats happening up front, then there would never be a need for a top corner.... ever. Thats not even a true statement to begin with. ALL positions rely on the players around them and how they perform THEIR jobs. Hence why you see 'coverage sacks' in the NFL. The DL couldn't get to the QB if they weren't doing their job.

Dean
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
In the games that Woodyard started in place of DJ, his performance was exceptional. Here is his stat line:
Cleavland. . . 10 tackles all of them solo
Atlana . . . . . 9 tackles with 9 solo
Oakland . . . . 4 tackles all solo
N Y Jets . . . . 10 tackles with 9 solo
Kansas City. . 10 tackles with 9 solo.

He produces when he is on the field. Prorating those five games to a 16 game season would work out to over 130 tackles.

Lonestar
07-30-2009, 07:01 PM
In the games that Woodyard started in place of DJ, his performance was exceptional. Here is his state line:

He produces when he is on the field. Prorating those five games to a 16 game season would work out to over 130 tackles.

which is almost Gradisharic in numbers.. he was consistently 140+

dogfish
07-30-2009, 07:13 PM
In the games that Woodyard started in place of DJ, his performance was exceptional. Here is his state line:

yep. . . wes may not be flashy, and he isn't a big name, wasn't considered an elite prospect coming out of college-- but the guy's a football player. . . he gets it done. . . he was the leading tackler in the SEC his senior year, and that didn't happen by accident. . . he may not have top measurables, but he does have a relentless motor and a really keen nose for the ball, and he's a very reliable tackler for his size. . .

unfortunately, i do have some concern as to how well he's going to fit into a 30-front where the inside 'backers are more frequently asked to take on blocks. . . he really seems like a guy that's an ideal fit as a 4-3 WILL who can make a lot of plays in space and flow to the ball. . .

we'll see. . . donnie edwards played at 224, and he had some damn good years playing in the 3-4-- of course, he was an exception rather than the rule, and the average size across the board has increased since his heyday. . . but his success shows that it can be done, and you never want to count out a player like woodyard. . . if nothing else, i think he can carve out a role in some sub-packages, because we're probably going to mix in 4-3 looks this year-- and possibly as a nickel 'backer. . . . at the worst, he's a very solid depth player and special teamer who could play a long time just in that capacity. . .

horsepig
07-30-2009, 09:19 PM
He absolutely is a football player. IIRC he also led SEC in tackles as a jr. Completely overlooked by the experts. Does the defending SB MVP ring a bell, maybe TD?

horsepig
07-30-2009, 09:24 PM

Really, these are pretty nice stats, who was better in a given stretch? He also broyght a bunch of "let's kick some ass!" to that pathetic D.

Probably caused Slowit to whine to Mike, "Loose cannon! Out of control! Actually wants to tackle somebody! We better move him 20 yards off ths LOS!".

hotcarl
07-30-2009, 10:32 PM
if he starts on defense we will lose 16 games

OldschoolFreak
07-30-2009, 10:45 PM
if he starts on defense we will lose 16 games

What exactly is a troll and why exactly does hotcarl not qualify?

horsepig
07-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Hot Carl is an iddddjiot.

hotcarl
07-31-2009, 10:32 PM
Hot Carl is an iddddjiot.

thanks for your valuable insight "horsepig" see you at camp
:welcome:

Requiem / The Dagda
08-01-2009, 11:49 AM
I don't have anything against Woodyard as a player, but the fact that he racked up a lot of tackles in place of D.J. isn't all that impressive. Our defense was abused in those games and was on the field an extremely long time. That should have definitely been taken into consideration before he was discussed as the next Gradishar or well, comparative from a tackling perspective on defense.

nevcraw
08-01-2009, 12:28 PM
I don't have anything against Woodyard as a player, but the fact that he racked up a lot of tackles in place of D.J. isn't all that impressive. Our defense was abused in those games and was on the field an extremely long time. That should have definitely been taken into consideration before he was discussed as the next Gradishar or well, comparative from a tackling perspective on defense.

our defense was abused all season.. I'd say with no stats to back it up that during WW's time in the trenches they were abused less..