PDA

View Full Version : Very early observations

dogfish
08-09-2012, 09:37 PM
Damn, it sho is cool to see PEYTON ****ING MANNING out there in a Broncos uniform!

PEYTON MANNING!!

He showed some zip on the first down over the middle to Decker. Looked like he was pushing passes to the sideline. I'm guessing he definitely doesn't have his full arm strength back. He's still Peyton Manning-- he'll figure out how to get it done, whether it comes all the way back or not.

Did I mention. . . ?

PEYTON ****ING MANNING!

Okay, enough. . . I've always liked Matt Willis as a developmental type, and he looked good tonight. I think he'll see some work in the offense this year. Knowshon actually looked good. If he keeps running like that, he should have a legit chance to earn the second spot.

Cornelius Ingram is an interesting player. Another one of those highly athletic receiving TE types, he was pretty well-regarded coming out of college-- third round pick, IIRC. Nice pickup on the cheap, and he looked like he was healthy and moving well. I noticed him getting open a few different times away from the play. Virgil Green had a couple of nice blocks. I think Julius Thomas might find himself the odd man out. Or if Ingram does come on, we could even trade one of the top three TEs if some NFC team has an early injury. I wonder if we could even go as far as keeping four-- did we have four on the roster at one point last year? Or maybe we PS at least one of the young guys, or stash somebody on IR with the ol' phantom injury.

Wolfie looks to be as advertised-- high motor. Dude was flying all over the place for a big guy. Looks like he plays with quick feet and strong hands, and finds the ball well. It's very early still, but you have to like the preliminary signs from the kid. And I still like Ayers. I know he has to earn it, but damn I hope he ends up back in the starting lineup-- IMO, there's just no comparison in talent level between him and Hunter. Ayers is significantly more dynamic. If we can get him wound up consistently, along with Wolf, Doom and Von. . . yea. Our pass rush could be ferocious.

It's good to see Syd the Squid out there. Only a few plays on ST so far that I noticed, but the guy just looks smooth and natural with the ball in his hands. IF he can regain his short area burst, I still think he can be an impact player as a nickel or dime corner and punt returner-- the kind of player who can make his presence felt despite not playing a lot of snaps. And it was good to see Nate Irving at least make a play. Gotta get that dude going.

Oh, and PEYTON MANNING!! YEA!!

broncobryce
08-09-2012, 10:09 PM
Not a bad start. Made some nice throws but had one dropped INT and another behind Stokely that turned into an INT. I'm sure he'll be fine by the time the season starts

jhildebrand
08-09-2012, 10:55 PM
I want to see Omon and Osweiler with the 2's nest week.

Willis should get some reps with the 1's.

Wolfe looks legit.

iLands
08-09-2012, 11:02 PM
I loved seeing Brocko checking out and audibling in his first game!

Wolfe: 2 Sacks, 3 Tackles, 1 TFL

MOtorboat
08-09-2012, 11:04 PM
Watching the replay.

This is just unreal. Manning really is a Bronco.

12and4
08-09-2012, 11:10 PM
nate irving was legit.

omon had a few nice cuts

beal with 2 sacks was nice

ayers looked comfortable

ossy was great

ShaneFalco
08-09-2012, 11:11 PM
ya it is kind of shocking to see him in anything other then a colt uniform, i wonder how colt fans feel.

I hope my Rams beat them bad 2morrow.

hotcarl
08-09-2012, 11:13 PM
we have depth. we gonna be gooooood.

we are going to win the superbowl

wayninja
08-09-2012, 11:37 PM
Our whole defense looks pretty damn good. Maybe that's just a testament to how bad the bears offense sucks. Either way, that's all I really got out of the game. Still too early to depend on much of what you see.

Ziggy
08-09-2012, 11:43 PM
Yeah Dog, we kept 4 TE's on the roster last season. Thomas was inactive most games, but he was on the roster.

Beal has been a surprise to me since I went to the training camp practice. He looks like a keeper.

Ingram may steal a roster spot from Julius Thomas.

Jason Hill made a case for a roster spot tonght as well as Xavier Omon.

Manny Ramirez is a lock to make this team as the backup interior lineman. He started at RG with the first team and played well at center with the second team. Phillip Blake on the other hand.....

It's nice to have a legit FB on the roster again.

Big Vick was unblockable tonight. He looks like a monster again.

Wolfe played well, but uses the bull rush a little too much. Can't wait till he adds more pass rush moves.

tomjonesrocks
08-09-2012, 11:49 PM
NFLN replay for me also. Manning checking off at the line for Denver. Unreal. Can't wait to see more.

tomjonesrocks
08-10-2012, 12:16 AM
On the west coast, am watching this at the 1 min in 2nd mark. Saying Hanie was "a mixed bag" seems generous to me.,.

Davii
08-10-2012, 01:35 AM
I expect to see Brock with the second team next game. Peyton is still Peyton. Our D looks for real. O line wasn't near the liability I was expecting. I'm more or less pleased at this point in time.

Northman
08-10-2012, 04:40 AM
I saw about a quarter and a half last night but recorded it so i will watch it in full tonight. But i liked everything that i saw thus far from the starters.

catfish
08-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I expect to see Brock with the second team next game. Peyton is still Peyton. Our D looks for real. O line wasn't near the liability I was expecting. I'm more or less pleased at this point in time.

only gripe is the holding penalties, but they gave Peyton a huge amount of time to throw

chazoe60
08-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Not sure why everybody is coming down on Hanie so hard. I watched the game and thought Hanie moved well, avoided pressure and threw catchable balls most of the time. A couple times he held onto the ball a little long and he threw a couple into double coverage but both of those were with less than a minute on the clock. I didn't think he looked bad at all to be honest. I thought all of our QBs looked good. Maybe there's too many Buff fans on the board?

I really like our WR corp. There is going to be a couple of very capable NFL receivers cut from this squad. I think Willis has to make the team, he is very reliable and always seems to make plays when given the chance.

Lance Ball, to me, is a very solid #3 RB. He's not flashy but he is reliable. He can run, catch, and block. If your starter goes down Ball can come in and give you a bunch of carries and he won't screw up. He'll never be a #1 but he is dpendable and you can trust him in a pinch and that's what your #3 needs to be.

I thought Ramirez played very well at G and C. He's probably not starter quality but he is versatile and a lunchpail type who is going to earn a spot on this team again.

Irving looked really good as did our entire LB corp.

DL looks much better than in previous seasons. Wolfe is for real.

Our DBs all look like guys who will come up and make a good tackle. I was very impressed with all of our CBs willingness to help in the run game. Good job guys.

Where was Chris Harris?

Replacements refs are friggin terrible.

Nomad
08-10-2012, 08:04 AM
I saw about a quarter and a half last night but recorded it so i will watch it in full tonight. But i liked everything that i saw thus far from the starters.

Yeah, I watched a little bit then fell asleep. Starters did look good. Excited for the regular season to start. I was anxious for last night then got bored with the game especially when I saw the final score at the bottom.

I hope the rest of the preseason goes well and all the players stay healthy/injury free.

blamkin86
08-10-2012, 08:53 AM
Not sure why everybody is coming down on Hanie so hard.

I think it's reasonable to give him the same slack as the other folks in a preseason game - but you have to admit his accuracy was bad.

Traveler
08-10-2012, 09:09 AM
Saw some good things tonight, but I'm waiting till the 3rd preseason game for a better idea of who's a keeper.

Quick observations:

Ingram: Might steal a spot from Green (not Thomas)

Blake: Looked good the few times I saw him- held his ground and didn't get walked back against the bull rush, hope he challenges Walton later this season.

Irving: Much better suited for OLB- nice overall game

Hills: Cut him now

Beal: Productive last night like he was at Oklahoma.

Omon: Might steal a spot from Ball or Moreno (Still think we'll draft another RB high next year-hoping for Davis kid from ARK)

OL- Still concerned about the OG positions. Would love to see Franklin moved to LG, Harris at RT and draft another RT next year.

Dzone
08-10-2012, 09:47 AM
Mohamed made some good open field tackles. Love the way Bolden plays and the way he was described as a student of the game. Great to see Thompson returning punts.

Cutler is catching some crap on local radio for not playing due to the wet field. Nobody knows if it was a Lovie decision or a Cutler decision. Chicago fans pay full price for a seat and Cutler tells them "Too bad Im not playing, I could pull a groin". I mean, he couldnt even go out for a series? What an ass.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-10-2012, 09:48 AM
I thought we looked pretty good in all facets last night. All four QBs moved the ball and made some decent throws. There were several drops by some of the WRs that were really good throws by the QBs and would've been first downs (especially for Oz and Weber) but our WR depth is much better than I originally thought. Hill is a frickin' MONSTER. I kept thinking he was a TE (thinking he was Ingram who is 82, Hill is 83) because he's HUGE. It wasn't until the TD from Oz that I realized who it was and was like... "damn".

I was really happy to see so many of our young guys doing well: Wolfe, Irving, Squid, and Omon all had very good showings. Omon reminds me a lot lot of a young McGahee. He's not the fastest guy, but he's got decent vision and moves, you're not going to arm tackle him, and he can push the pile.

only gripe is the holding penalties, but they gave Peyton a huge amount of time to throw

Personally, as far as the holding calls are concerned, I'm totally cool with our guys getting a couple during the preseason. Manning should NOT be touched in the preseason. I don't care if the O-line has to tackle a dude, if you're beat, protect the QB and hold if you have to. These games don't count for anything but reps. After seeing Tom Brady get obliterated by a blind-side hit yesterday, I'm just fine if one of our guys feels the need to hold in the preseason. I mostly liked what I saw from our backup QBs, but I sure as shit don't want them being pressed into service - especially due to a preventable pre-season hit on Manning.

MOtorboat
08-10-2012, 10:01 AM
Mohamed made some good open field tackles. Love the way Bolden plays and the way he was described as a student of the game. Great to see Thompson returning punts.

Cutler is catching some crap on local radio for not playing due to the wet field. Nobody knows if it was a Lovie decision or a Cutler decision. Chicago fans pay full price for a seat and Cutler tells them "Too bad Im not playing, I could pull a groin". I mean, he couldnt even go out for a series? What an ass.

I can't believe I'm about to defend Cutler...but...

There had been talk all week that he might not play with the baby being born, so it shouldn't have come as a complete shock...

The way it appeared, however, with him slumming it on the sideline in the backwards ballcap like a douche probably doesn't help the perception.

(phew...still got a shot in)

wayninja
08-10-2012, 10:05 AM
I can't believe I'm about to defend Cutler...but...

There had been talk all week that he might not play with the baby being born, so it shouldn't have come as a complete shock...

The way it appeared, however, with him slumming it on the sideline in the backwards ballcap like a douche probably doesn't help the perception.

(phew...still got a shot in)

I hear the delivery was especially hard on Cutler's Vag.

MOtorboat
08-10-2012, 10:09 AM
I hear the delivery was especially hard on Cutler's Vag.

It was kinda sore.

BroncoFanatic
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
In addition to those things noted, I thought special teams looked much improved, very good punt & kick coverage

Ravage!!!
08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Peyton only played 1 series as opposed to the 12 snaps he was going to take. Coaches take precautions based on what they believe. This is the first pre-season game, and means diddly squat to the season. I don't blame Chicago if they felt it was an injury risk.

Fullback32
08-10-2012, 11:06 AM
My first observation concerning backups: Osweiller is going to push Hanie for the number 2 position.

blamkin86
08-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Peyton only played 1 series as opposed to the 12 snaps he was going to take.

Manning did take 12 snaps: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=320809003

Ravage!!!
08-10-2012, 11:13 AM
Manning did take 12 snaps: http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=320809003

you are right, my bad :beer:

blamkin86
08-10-2012, 11:25 AM
No worries - I was wondering the number myself...

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Peyton only played 1 series as opposed to the 12 snaps he was going to take. Coaches take precautions based on what they believe. This is the first pre-season game, and means diddly squat to the season. I don't blame Chicago if they felt it was an injury risk.

They said he could play one series if he moved down the field, Elway mentioned that Peyton would like a good series, not a 3 and out. So since he easily went right down the field I bet he was happy with it.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 11:30 AM
I loved seeing Brocko checking out and audibling in his first game!

Wolfe: 2 Sacks, 3 Tackles, 1 TFL
I just read an article devoted entirely to Shea McClellin and his performance
last night. I have yet to see much of anything from the media about Wolfe,
even though Wolfe just killed it. Maybe the media was just picking up on those
Chicago announcers, who gushed over McClellin for nearly the entire game . . .

NightTerror218
I think Orange Julious will make the team. He is going to be a great catching TE if he can be healthy. He is lacking in his blocking but he is also so raw, I dont think there is anyway he does not make the team. He may be inactive but he should be set. Only 2nd year too. I think our WR corp is fairly deep by the looks of this one preseason game. Lets see how the other 3 games go. And Bears are known for a bad OL. So lets see how the DL does against so other lines too.

Northman
They said he could play one series if he moved down the field, Elway mentioned that Peyton would like a good series, not a 3 and out. So since he easily went right down the field I bet he was happy with it.

I agree. Had Peyton and the offense not drove down the field like they did i would of expected them to be back out there for another series or two.

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 11:32 AM
I agree. Had Peyton and the offense not drove down the field like they did i would of expected them to be back out there for another series or two.

I was stoked hearing about that drive (since i could not watch it). But it was awesome watching the highlights of the manning drive at the gym, since that is the only part of that game that was worth watching apparently.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 11:35 AM
Saw some good things tonight, but I'm waiting till the 3rd preseason game for a better idea of who's a keeper.

Quick observations:

Ingram: Might steal a spot from Green (not Thomas)

Blake: Looked good the few times I saw him- held his ground and didn't get walked back against the bull rush, hope he challenges Walton later this season.

Irving: Much better suited for OLB- nice overall game

Hills: Cut him now

Beal: Productive last night like he was at Oklahoma.

Omon: Might steal a spot from Ball or Moreno (Still think we'll draft another RB high next year-hoping for Davis kid from ARK)

OL- Still concerned about the OG positions. Would love to see Franklin moved to LG, Harris at RT and draft another RT next year.
Good comments, especially about the offensive line. I really would like to see
them try Franklin out at LG. From what I have heard from camp and what I
saw last night, they really need more push on running plays. Franklin is an
earth mover who has had trouble pass blocking out there at tackle. How come
they're not at least seeing what he can do at LG? It wouldn't seem he could
do much worse than Beadles . . .

Northman
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM
I was stoked hearing about that drive (since i could not watch it). But it was awesome watching the highlights of the manning drive at the gym, since that is the only part of that game that was worth watching apparently.

Ya, i dont know. I watched it until about midway through the 2nd. But tonight when i get home i will watch it in full just because i want to see how some of the other guys have performed. I think both Brock and Adam had TD passes according to the game stats i saw this morning.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 11:38 AM

They made it clear it was a coach's decision. It became obvious that Cutler
wanted to play when he was seen with his helmet on and warming up. I really
don't think he was very happy about not being out there for a little bit.

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 11:44 AM
Ya, i dont know. I watched it until about midway through the 2nd. But tonight when i get home i will watch it in full just because i want to see how some of the other guys have performed. I think both Brock and Adam had TD passes according to the game stats i saw this morning.

took me forever to get too see clips on NFL.com of them. But they both looked good. Oz did pretty well for his first time. but also I would like to see him against the 2s rather then against another teams hopefuls

wayninja
08-10-2012, 11:45 AM

Not sure I understand this...

At the risk of getting flamed, Manning didn't look all that impressive to me. He has a long way to go before he's the Manning of old.

I don't want to make too much out of 1 series, but his body definitely has some catching up to do with his football intelligence. He obviously progresses through his reads like a pro, but his passes were far from crisp. 1 near pick and 1 pick on 7 throws isn't exactly what you want to see...

Personally, I thought the best part of the game was watching our Defense dominate.

Northman
08-10-2012, 11:49 AM
Not sure I understand this...

At the risk of getting flamed, Manning didn't look all that impressive to me. He has a long way to go before he's the Manning of old.

I don't want to make too much out of 1 series, but his body definitely has some catching up to do with his football intelligence. He obviously progresses through his reads like a pro, but his passes were far from crisp. 1 near pick and 1 pick on 7 throws isn't exactly what you want to see...

Personally, I thought the best part of the game was watching our Defense dominate.

Considering he didnt play for a year i do think it was a success. You should try watching the Ravens/Falcons game and then get back to me about not looking crisp. lol

I know Manning has a ways to go but you have to keep it in perspective of what he is returning from. He didnt play a down last year and is playing with a whole new group of guys, so yea to me, thats a success that ended with a bobbled catch by the receiver.

wayninja
08-10-2012, 11:53 AM
Considering he didnt play for a year i do think it was a success. You should try watching the Ravens/Falcons game and then get back to me about not looking crisp. lol

I know Manning has a ways to go but you have to keep it in perspective of what he is returning from. He didnt play a down last year and is playing with a whole new group of guys, so yea to me, thats a success that ended with a bobbled catch by the receiver.

I guess the name on the back of your Jersey goes a long way in how much leeway for criticism you get. Hanie put up similar stats, no picks and is getting trashed...

But I'd be very naive to expect anything else, honestly.

Northman
08-10-2012, 11:57 AM
I guess the name on the back of your Jersey goes a long way in how much leeway for criticism you get. Hanie put up similar stats, no picks and is getting trashed...

Hanie played last year though. Watching Flacco and the Ravens gain only 9 yds and no 1st downs in the 1st quarter of their game does make me look at it differently than you. And sure, when you've actually accomplished something that matters in the NFL you will always get some leeway no matter if your Manning, Elway, Montana, or whoever. And really, why shouldnt he?

iLands
08-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Indeed. Brocko basically had two TDs as he checked out into a run ( You gotta see him with those wings out) which resulted in the TD. He didn't get it on the stat line but his decision was worth six on the board.

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 01:22 PM

Brees was 1-4 for 4 yards yesterday. Brady was 4-7 for 30 yards and a lost fumble. The first preseason game is shaky for everyone.

Manning hasn't played a game in over 500 days, is on a new team, was playing in sloppy conditions, and still led a drive right down the field that would have resulted in points if not for a pass deflecting off Stokley. He looked good.

BroncoNut
08-10-2012, 01:29 PM
It was kinda sore.

O.K. Mo, hahah we get it. let's move on

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Brees was 1-4 for 4 yards yesterday. Brady was 4-7 for 30 yards and a lost fumble. The first preseason game is shaky for everyone.

Manning hasn't played a game in over 500 days, is on a new team, was playing in sloppy conditions, and still led a drive right down the field that would have resulted in points if not for a pass deflecting off Stokley. He looked good.

If you say so, that didn't look great to me, guess I'll leave it at that.

15 years I would think would negate somewhat not playing in a pro game for 500 days. I mean, this isn't the first time he's thrown a football in 500 days, right?

Nonetheless, seems like everyone wants to compare to someone else, I'm only comparing Manning to Manning. And for Manning, his performance wasn't great.

dogfish
08-10-2012, 02:10 PM

dude! he's peyton freakin' manning. . . yes, he gets the benefit of the doubt over the likes of caleb hanie. . . for very good reason-- i think it's safe to say that he's earned it. . . you really want people to nitpick the first pre-season series the guy played, after a year's lay-off? that would be a little silly, at best. . .

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
If you say so, that didn't look great to me, guess I'll leave it at that.

15 years I would think would negate somewhat not playing in a pro game for 500 days. I mean, this isn't the first time he's thrown a football in 500 days, right?

Nonetheless, seems like everyone wants to compare to someone else, I'm only comparing Manning to Manning. And for Manning, his performance wasn't great.

Who said it was great? This was the first freaking preseason game. He did exactly what you would expect in a first preseason game. Made some really good throws, and a couple that were just a bit off. Even his throws that missed didn't miss by much. 2 of his 3 incompletions were catchable and the one to DT in the endzone was only a few inches off.

You are literally the only person who didn't think he played well.

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:15 PM
dude! he's peyton freakin' manning. . . yes, he gets the benefit of the doubt over the likes of caleb hanie. . . for very good reason-- i think it's safe to say that he's earned it. . . you really want people to nitpick the first pre-season series the guy played, after a year's lay-off? that would be a little silly, at best. . .

No, I said many times that I don't want to read into it too much at all. But that goes both ways, like the folks saying that Mannings' series was the only thing worth watching. That's silly, at best.

The benefit of the doubt should work both ways too. He should be putting up WAY better numbers than Hanie given that he is Peyton freakin' Manning and all. You can't get that level of benefit-of-doubt without an expectation to go along with it.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
The guy's apparently still sore Tebow's gone . . . :coffee:

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:18 PM
Who said it was great? This was the first freaking preseason game. He did exactly what you would expect in a first preseason game. Made some really good throws, and a couple that were just a bit off. Even his throws that missed didn't miss by much. 2 of his 3 incompletions were catchable and the one to DT in the endzone was only a few inches off.

You are literally the only person who didn't think he played well.

I'm ok with that. People clearly have Peyton blinders on here. He maybe made 1 'really good throw'. The rest were average/below average. He threw a pick (and really got lucky it wasn't on the 3rd throw instead of the 7th).

If you guys think that is 'playing well', this season is going to suck.

Once again, I'm not nitpicking 1 series in a preseason game, but I'm also not going to say he 'played well'. Because he just didn't. He played average at best. Just calling it like I see it.

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:20 PM
The guy's apparently still sore Tebow's gone . . . :coffee:

Tebow has exactly what to do with 4/7 with an int?

Northman

Have to consider the source doggy. lol

BroncoWave
No, I said many times that I don't want to read into it too much at all. But that goes both ways, like the folks saying that Mannings' series was the only thing worth watching. That's silly, at best.

The benefit of the doubt should work both ways too. He should be putting up WAY better numbers than Hanie given that he is Peyton freakin' Manning and all. You can't get that level of benefit-of-doubt without an expectation to go along with it.

This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Look at ANY preseason boxscore and the backups usually put up better numbers than the starters, given that they are going against 2nd and 3rd string players.

Just look at his boxscore and how much better the Pats and Saints backups numbers looked than the starters.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320809017

Have you ever watched a preseason game?

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:21 PM
This is one of the dumbest things I've read in a while. Look at ANY preseason boxscore and the backups usually put up better numbers than the starters, given that they are going against 2nd and 3rd string players.

Just look at his boxscore and how much better the Pats and Saints backups numbers looked than the starters.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=320809017

Have you ever watched a preseason game?

Wow, there is almost no end to the excuses...

Manning didn't even see any pressure against the 'starters'. Yeah, I've seen pre-season games. Have you seen Manning play before?

You do know that their best defensive player didn't play, right?

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 02:26 PM
Wow, there is almost no end to the excuses...

Manning didn't even see any pressure against the 'starters'. Yeah, I've seen pre-season games. Have you seen Manning play before?

Do you know what perspective is? If Manning is still putting up those kind of numbers in the regular season it will be cause for concern. This is the FIRST preseason game, where everyone is always rusty. Given that, he played well.

No one is saying he looked in classic, mid-season Manning form, but no one with any intelligence expected that last night.

You can call it excuses, but perspective is the correct word.

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:28 PM
Do you know what perspective is? If Manning is still putting up those kind of numbers in the regular season it will be cause for concern. This is the FIRST preseason game, where everyone is always rusty. Given that, he played well.

No one is saying he looked in classic, mid-season Manning form, but no one with any intelligence expected that last night.

You can call it excuses, but perspective is the correct word.

I don't know under what perspective you could call a turnover in the redzone on the first drive and passes that were, high/weak/off-target from the GOAT as 'played well'.

If you go back and re-read my original post, I've made it clear several times that I'm not exactly 'concerned' and that I'm not reading much into this. I am only taking exception with folks' 'perspective' that this was somehow even somehow better than an average performance.

There is just as much bias for this player as there was for previous players and it really shows.

Northman
08-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I don't know under what perspective you could call a turnover in the redzone on the first drive and passes that were, high/weak/off-target from the GOAT as 'played well'.

Uh... the pass that was intercepted hit Stokely between the numbers. Thats not off target. lol

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 02:34 PM

If you go back and re-read my original post, I've made it clear several times that I'm not exactly 'concerned' and that I'm not reading much into this. I am only taking exception with folks' 'perspective' that this was somehow even somehow better than an average performance.

There is just as much bias for this player as there was for previous players and it really shows.

Of the 8 passes he threw (counting the completion to DT that was called back) 5 were right on target (the drop by Tamme, the 2 completions to Deck, the completion to DT, and the one to Ball) and 3 were just barely off, one still being caught anyway and another being catchable. The turnover was an unlucky play. Was very much a catchable pass.

Don't let your butt-hurt from Tebow being gone cloud your judgement of Manning.

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 02:35 PM
Uh... the pass that was intercepted hit Stokely between the numbers. Thats not off target. lol

Yeah, I'm not really sure what he was watching. The only pass that was really off-target was the fade in the endzone to DT and that only missed by a couple of inches. The almost INT was just a great play by the LB.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Well, to be fair, the pass was just a bit behind Stokes, which is why the LB
got his hand on it, which is why Stokes couldn't catch it. But that didn't take
away from Peyton's performance before that happened, IMO . . .

Northman
08-10-2012, 02:36 PM

I think thats a mighty tall order there.

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Of the 8 passes he threw (counting the completion to DT that was called back) 5 were right on target (the drop by Tamme, the 2 completions to Deck, the completion to DT, and the one to Ball) and 3 were just barely off, one still being caught anyway and another being catchable. The turnover was an unlucky play. Was very much a catchable pass.

One of the completions to Deck, was a weak and high pass, 3 were more than 'barely off', and no, we don't get to count called back passes or receiver drops (as was very hotly debated last year).

This has nothing to do with Tebow, the numbers speak for themselves, but if you really, really want to qualify stuff, but for a luck deflection, Manning would have been 3/7 with an int. That's just not good, butthurt notwithstanding.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 02:39 PM
One of the completions to Deck, was a weak and high pass, 3 were more than 'barely off', and no, we don't get to count called back passes or receiver drops (as was very hotly debated last year).

This has nothing to do with Tebow, the numbers speak for themselves, but if you really, really want to qualify stuff, but for a luck deflection, Manning would have been 3/7 with an int. That's just not good, butthurt notwithstanding.
Whom are you trying to kid?

It has everything to do with Tebow. :lol:

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 02:41 PM
Manning's worst pass last night would have been a pretty good one for Tebow.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
At least Manning didn't complete one to a cheerleader. :D

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:43 PM
Whom are you trying to kid?

It has everything to do with Tebow. :lol:

If you say so. I assume if there is any more mediocre or bad play from Manning, this will be the low hanging fruit that you latch on to.

wayninja
08-10-2012, 02:44 PM

And somehow comparing passes from the two somehow strengthens the argument that he played well? LMAO.

MOtorboat
08-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Yeah, I'm not really sure what he was watching. The only pass that was really off-target was the fade in the endzone to DT and that only missed by a couple of inches. The almost INT was just a great play by the LB.

Marshall Faulk on NFLN watching it live said that was on DT. He said that pass goes to the pylon every time (and it damn near hit the pylon) and DT took the wrong angle.

:whoknows:

I won't comment past that about whether Manning was average or below average as asserted, because in comparison...

TXBRONC
08-10-2012, 02:55 PM
At least Manning didn't complete one to a cheerleader. :D

What do you mean? Tebow missed the cheerleader and hit some unsuspecting vendor in third row.

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 02:59 PM
What do you mean? Tebow missed the cheerleader and hit some unsuspecting vendor in third row.

before or after the bounce?

Northman
08-10-2012, 03:03 PM

Which clearly the commentators said that it was a chemistry issue with Manning and the receivers. They mentioned that DT should of went to the cone and he would of had it. But again, just need to watch the game and know that.....

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 03:04 PM
Marshall Faulk on NFLN watching it live said that was on DT. He said that pass goes to the pylon every time (and it damn near hit the pylon) and DT took the wrong angle.

:whoknows:

I won't comment past that about whether Manning was average or below average as asserted, because in comparison...

Huh, interesting. If that's the case then every single pass of his was either right on target or at least catchable. Just wait until he actually gets back into the flow of game reps and gets more on the same page with the WRs. Last night was probably the WORST he will play, and he still looked good. I can not wait for week 1.

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 03:05 PM
Which clearly the commentators said that it was a chemistry issue with Manning and the receivers. They mentioned that DT should of went to the cone and he would of had it. But again, just need to watch the game and know that.....

Yeah I had a crappy online feed of the game so I didn't hear much of the commentary. Knowing that, though, makes, me think even higher of Manning's performance last night.

topscribe
08-10-2012, 03:07 PM
Brock missed a sure TD, too, where he appeared to overthrow badly a wide
open and sprinting receiver (I can't remember who now). But the replay
showed that the reason for the overthrow is the receiver hesitated once he
got open, instead of continuing to run, as he should have.

catfish
08-10-2012, 03:39 PM
IAOFM has a writeup of the game

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/back-to-the-future-lard

shank
08-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Brock missed a sure TD, too, where he appeared to overthrow badly a wide
open and sprinting receiver (I can't remember who now). But the replay
showed that the reason for the overthrow is the receiver hesitated once he
got open, instead of continuing to run, as he should have.

I see how the receiver did what he did on that play, he was giving his qb a bigger window by slowing down, as if he continued at full speed, the safety might have a chance to make a play. It wasn't a bad play by either qb or wr, just them not being on the same page.

iLands
08-10-2012, 04:22 PM
If we had Tebow, Prater would have nailed that 57 yarder!

ShaneFalco
08-10-2012, 06:11 PM
ne1 notice how DT screwed up his route on mannings pass to sideline

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 06:17 PM
ne1 notice how DT screwed up his route on mannings pass to sideline

Dont worry Manning will have told him what he did wrong and what to do next time.

Northman
08-10-2012, 06:18 PM
ok, so i watched the game in full and here are a few quips from me.

I would like to see guys like Omon, J. Johnson, Ingram, Weber, and Hill play with the 1st and 2nd stringers just to see how they do. I know Johnson has a little experience last year but i really like the burst that he has and would like to see some more playing time.

Guys i think could be in trouble although we still have 3 more preseason games,

Adam Grant and WR Robinson. Both looked really bad out there even with the skeleton crews.

And i know that Denver wont do it because they want to have another vet on the team i would love to see us go with Manning, Oz, and Weber. As pointed out stat wise Hanie did fine overall but when you watch him he really has no pocket presence and Weber to me seems very calm and keeps his poise while delivering some nice throws. That kid is starting to grow on me.

Defensively we looked great but i would of loved to see how we played vs Jay to get a true measure. But, considering Campbell has a lot of experience i still feel pretty good about the defensive effort.

BroncoJoe
08-10-2012, 06:31 PM
I was pleasantly surprised with Oz, and in particular Weber. That kid has an arm.

Canmore
08-10-2012, 07:50 PM
ok, so i watched the game in full and here are a few quips from me.

I would like to see guys like Omon, J. Johnson, Ingram, Weber, and Hill play with the 1st and 2nd stringers just to see how they do. I know Johnson has a little experience last year but i really like the burst that he has and would like to see some more playing time.

Guys i think could be in trouble although we still have 3 more preseason games,

Adam Grant and WR Robinson. Both looked really bad out there even with the skeleton crews.

And i know that Denver wont do it because they want to have another vet on the team i would love to see us go with Manning, Oz, and Weber. As pointed out stat wise Hanie did fine overall but when you watch him he really has no pocket presence and Weber to me seems very calm and keeps his poise while delivering some nice throws. That kid is starting to grow on me.

Defensively we looked great but i would of loved to see how we played vs Jay to get a true measure. But, considering Campbell has a lot of experience i still feel pretty good about the defensive effort.

Watched the game on NFL Network replay. A little difficult to follow all the action for the Broncos with the Chicago crew barely mentioning a Bronco not named Manning. Doesn't that sound nice though. I really got excited about Oman, Johnson and Ingram. Like you said North, I would like to see more.

Offensively, we gained 338 yards and almost identical numbers by halves, and scored 31 points, scoring in all four quarters. We had 156 yards rushing and 182 passing Nice first effort against a quality opponent.

Defensively, we surrendered 132 yards, 41 in the first half and 91 in the second, and 3 points. Granted, Cutler didn't play, but I don't know what more we could have done for a first outing. We had 6 sacks and a couple by Wolfe. Alright. The Bears didn't run a play in our red zone. Their deepest penetration was the 23, resulting in a 47 yard field goal.

Overall, great start. Sure it is just the first preseason game and not too meaningful, but it felt great to go out and perform well.

Simple Jaded
08-11-2012, 11:36 PM
Maybe it was because I was experiencing culture shock watching a legitimate NFL QB in a Broncos' uniform, maybe it was how great felt watching the starting QB play "average at best" while knowing without a shadow of a doubt that he is capable of so much better.......maybe it was both.

Either way, watching Peyton Manning in a Broncos' uniform gives me a boner that a F'n cat couldn't scratch.......