PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning’s arm looks fine

DenBronx
08-09-2012, 08:32 PM
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 9, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT

Peyton Manning has taken his first snaps as the Denver Broncos’ quarterback, and his arm looks fine.

Manning didn’t throw any deep passes in his first drive of the preseason Thursday night at Soldier Field in Chicago, but he threw well enough to drive the Broncos down the field before the drive ended when a pass over the middle was deflected and intercepted.

Manning’s first pass was a short one to tight end Jacob Tamme, his old Colts teammate, and it was a good pass right on the money — but Bears linebacker Lance Briggs did a great job in coverage of sticking his hand in and knocking the ball away. Manning’s second pass was a bad one that should have been intercepted — it bounced off the hands of Bears defensive end Geno Hayes — but on the deflection it went into the hands of Tamme for a first down.

READ FULL ARTICLE:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/08/09/peyton-mannings-arm-looks-fine/

Northman
08-10-2012, 04:43 AM
Yea, i was going to say that last night. Briggs just made a great play on the ball and Stokely should of had the one that he bobbled up in the air. Outside of that i thought Manning did real well for his first start in over a season.

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 11:40 AM
Stokley might not make the team..... he will have to step up in next couple preseason games.

Ravage!!!
08-10-2012, 12:08 PM
Stokley might not make the team..... he will have to step up in next couple preseason games.

I don't think they will make that call based on pre-season games.

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
I don't think they will make that call based on pre-season games.

I think they will. They have a lot of WRs and only so much room. They will likely keep a younger WR who can return rather then one who is up there in age and not performing as well. Stokley is playing for a spot on this team and will have to contend with the likes of younger WRs who are also doing it. IMO Decker, Thomas, Caldwell are the only for sures. Willis looks like he is next up on the list. Where does that put stokley?

BroncoJoe
08-10-2012, 12:54 PM
Peyton's arm did look fine, and a hell of a lot better than we've seen around here in a long time.

It is PFM though - and certainly NOT up to what we've grown accustomed to from him. Hopefully he continues to get stronger.

tubby
08-10-2012, 01:28 PM
Weber throws a nicer ball.

BroncoWave
08-10-2012, 01:33 PM
Peyton's arm did look fine, and a hell of a lot better than we've seen around here in a long time.

It is PFM though - and certainly NOT up to what we've grown accustomed to from him. Hopefully he continues to get stronger.

The only throw that looked noticably weak was the sideline pass to Decker, which was still a completion. Even if his arm strength never fully returns he'll still be fine. He's smart enough to compensate in other ways.

Simple Jaded
08-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Manning never had a cannon, prepare to be disappointed if you thought he was ever much stronger than he is now.......

Canmore
08-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Manning never had a cannon, prepare to be disappointed if you thought he was ever much stronger than he is now.......

I feel this is accurate. Manning never was listed with the likes of Elway for arm strength. It is adequate. He makes all the throws. It's his accuracy and mind that set him apart.

Simple Jaded
08-11-2012, 01:46 AM
I feel this is accurate. Manning never was listed with the likes of Elway for arm strength. It is adequate. He makes all the throws. It's his accuracy and mind that set him apart.

Brady, Manning and Brees, it's the finer points of the position that separates them from the more physically gifted. They still have the velocity to make any throw.

Btw, Manning has always had some ducks too, he's never been Warren Moon or the prettiest passer.......

Canmore
08-11-2012, 01:49 AM
Brady, Manning and Brees, it's the finer points of the position that separates them from the more physically gifted. They still have the velocity to make any throw.......

Yes there arm strength is fine. It's the cerebral part of the game that separates them from the rest of the field.

Canmore
08-11-2012, 01:52 AM
Brady, Manning and Brees, it's the finer points of the position that separates them from the more physically gifted. They still have the velocity to make any throw.

Btw, Manning has always had some ducks too, he's never been Warren Moon or the prettiest passer.......

Yes, Manning throws some wobblers, but they get to where they are suppose to be.

tomjonesrocks
08-11-2012, 10:54 AM
The over the middle pass to Decker looked vintage Manning to me. As did him going quickly through reads and pulling the trigger on his fourth or fifth receiver. You really only see that from
the elite.

He did throw ducks. He always had. Manning often mopes in Cutler-esque fashion after unsuccessful plays also. He gets a pass on both because he's PFM.

Ravage!!!
08-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I think they will. They have a lot of WRs and only so much room. They will likely keep a younger WR who can return rather then one who is up there in age and not performing as well. Stokley is playing for a spot on this team and will have to contend with the likes of younger WRs who are also doing it. IMO Decker, Thomas, Caldwell are the only for sures. Willis looks like he is next up on the list. Where does that put stokley?

I think they make that call based on what they see in practice. I don't think a call on Stokely is based on pre-season stats or production. Pre-season games truly don't mean much in the grand scheme of things. Offenses and defenses alike are very very vanilla. Nothing done in pre-season is an indication on how well a team, or player, will do during regular. That being said, if he makes or doesn't make the team will be based on the every day practices and work with the team and coaches.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-11-2012, 12:40 PM

I think Stokely is all but a lock. He can be the #5 or #6 guy, but he's still usually money in the slot, has the best hands of all the WRs and normally runs the best routes, and above all - Peyton loves him. If he stays healthy throughout the preseason, I will be absolutely shocked if Stokely doesn't make the cut.