PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again!

Dean
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Already a Physically Unable to Perform player. Hopefully this year doesn't mirror the last two. Wesley Woodyard is gone.

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=7529&type=news&nid=59970

NightTrainLayne
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
I don't think this is anything serious.

frauschieze
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
But he ran in practice today. :confused:

Overtime
07-28-2009, 05:07 PM
he had a knee brace on earlier, probably just tweaked it. he'll be back.

OldschoolFreak
07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
He's not gone. Can't he be pulled off the PUP at any time during the preseason?

Overtime
07-28-2009, 05:11 PM

yes. if they put him on Injured Reserve, that's a whole different story, then his season would be done.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Already a Physically Unable to Perform player. Hopefully this year doesn't mirror the last two. Wesley Woodyard is gone.

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=7529&type=news&nid=59970

I just clicked on the link, and within that link, it referred to the Denver Post. When clicking on the Denver Post, all it said was that Woodyard did not practice yesterday :confused:

OldschoolFreak
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
It is coming though--inevitably.

Anyone want to ponder a guess as to who might be the first 2009 Bronco on IR?

BroncoWave
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Anyone who answers this question should be banned immediately! :D

No need in jinxing any of our players!

dogfish
07-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Woodyard PUPed by Broncos

Wesley Woodyard has been placed on the team's physically unable to perform list with an undisclosed injury, according to the Denver Post.
Our View: Only a few months into his Broncos tenure, head coach Josh McDaniels has already adopted his old team's practice of not disclosing injuries unless absolutely forced to. The second year linebacker is coming off a solid rookie season in which he played in all 16 games and recorded over 50 tackles. Watch out for updates on his status.

disappointing-- i know every team's going to have some injuries in camp, it's inevitable, but you hate to see it start this early. . . especially to a promising young player who's trying to transition to a different position in a new scheme, and needs his reps. . .

if we find out it's a groin pull, i'm personally going out to denver and leaving a burning bag of shit on tuten's doorstep. . . . :tsk:

OldschoolFreak
07-28-2009, 05:37 PM

Yeah I know. Probably a dangerous place for speculation. Aren't you a bit curious though?

GEM
07-28-2009, 05:39 PM
Wesley showed up yesterday with the injured players. Something about surgery in the off season. They haven't disclosed what the surgery was for.

FanInAZ
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
I would be a lot more concerned if this was a player I had actually heard of before.

frauschieze
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
I would be a lot more concerned if this was a player I had actually heard of before.

Your head must have been buried in the sand last year. Woodyard was one of very few bright spots on this team, when he stepped in for DJ Williams without any loss of production. Some would argue he played better.

The Glue Factory
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM

Can't be any of the RB's. They paid their karma off last year.

FanInAZ
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Your head must have been buried in the sand last year

:D You do know that I live in AZ :D

I did have trouble following the Broncos last year do to employment and other conflicts.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2009, 06:07 PM
http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=7529&type=news&nid=59984

Updating a previous report, linebacker Wesley Woodyard returned to practice on Tuesday, one day after sitting out while on the physically unable to perform list, according to the Denver Post.

Our View: He was wearing a brace on his right knee on Tuesday, but supposedly running well. The team has not officially disclosed what the injury is.

Dean
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the update/clarification, Carol.
:congrats:

Tned
07-28-2009, 06:16 PM

If he really is on the PUP list (don't know why they would do it so early), he can't play the first 6 weeks, and then after the six weeks are up, they have a three week window to either move him to the active roster or IR.

Overtime
07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
he had a knee brace on earlier, probably just tweaked it. he'll be back.

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/player.php?tqid=7529&type=news&nid=59984

Updating a previous report, linebacker Wesley Woodyard returned to practice on Tuesday, one day after sitting out while on the physically unable to perform list, according to the Denver Post.

Our View: He was wearing a brace on his right knee on Tuesday, but supposedly running well. The team has not officially disclosed what the injury is.

wow, i think i said that in post #4. welcome to yesterday. :coffee:

dogfish
07-28-2009, 06:48 PM
If he really is on the PUP list (don't know why they would do it so early), he can't play the first 6 weeks, and then after the six weeks are up, they have a three week window to either move him to the active roster or IR.

correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that only if they start the regular season on the PUP list? i thought they could be taken off at any time before the season actually started, and that the team merely had to release someone to free up the additional roster spot. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
07-28-2009, 07:19 PM
The reference to physically unable to perform list may just be something that the teams keep during training camp, basically as a reference to why someone is not practicing, which does not have the same meaning as the NFL list - just a thought.

TXBRONC
07-28-2009, 08:00 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that only if they start the regular season on the PUP list? i thought they could be taken off at any time before the season actually started, and that the team merely had to release someone to free up the additional roster spot. . .

That's been my understanding as well.

Traveler
07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
:D You do know that I live in AZ :D

I did have trouble following the Broncos last year do to employment and other conflicts.

Do you keep track of what's happening with the Cardinals?

If so, what happening with Alan Branch? Is he in danger of being cut ? I've read in several articles that this might be his last chance.

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Wesley showed up yesterday with the injured players. Something about surgery in the off season. They haven't disclosed what the surgery was for.

IIRC it was a clean up of a knee.. and PUP just means they can bring another players in if they want to and they do not have to IR him till up to the 10th week of the season or so..

the same thing happened to Powell last year..

IIRC he is allowed to practice and be in meeting unlike if he were on IR..

I suspect they want to protect him and see if he heals up..

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 08:50 PM

RightO.. they are put on PUP if they can't pass the physical day one..

Tned
07-28-2009, 09:10 PM
IIRC it was a clean up of a knee.. and PUP just means they can bring another players in if they want to and they do not have to IR him till up to the 10th week of the season or so..

the same thing happened to Powell last year..

IIRC he is allowed to practice and be in meeting unlike if he were on IR..

I suspect they want to protect him and see if he heals up..

They can't pull them off at any time, only between week 6 and 10.

As I understand the rule, they can be put on the PUP if a player fails their physical prior to training camp, and they can be taken off up until the week after the first pre-season game, which I think is when they drop to 65 players.

Currently, WW and DJ are on the PUP.

Tned
07-28-2009, 09:17 PM
I did a little more research. The key is that a player can ONLY be put on the PUP before training camp starts. If they aren't on the PUP at the start TC, and they get injured IR is the only option.

If they are put on the PUP before TC starts, then they can be taken off TC at any time during TC. Training camp is defined as the time from one week before the first pre-season game and five days after the last pre-season game.

If that isn't the exact rules, it's real close.

By putting DJ and WW on the PUP, both having off season surgeries, if they aren't ready by the end of TC, the Broncos can leave them on the PUP and get them back for the last 10 games, rather than losing them for the whole season on IR.

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 09:22 PM
I did a little more research. The key is that a player can ONLY be put on the PUP before training camp starts. If they aren't on the PUP at the start TC, and they get injured IR is the only option.

If they are put on the PUP before TC starts, then they can be taken off TC at any time during TC. Training camp is defined as the time from one week before the first pre-season game and five days after the last pre-season game.

By putting DJ and WW on the PUP, both having off season surgeries, if they aren't ready by the end of TC, the Broncos can leave them on the PUP and get them back for the last 10 games, rather than losing them for the whole season on IR.

thanks for the info I thought it something like that it was like Powell last year screwed up the Achilles in the spring was placed on PU and then there was discussion at the first of the year week 5-6 IIRC about him being activated for the rest of the year..

I know I was desperately looking forward to BEEF on the LOS but that was not to be..

frauschieze
07-28-2009, 09:23 PM

So then, we'll likely see the same thing with Marshall?

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 09:24 PM
So then, we'll likely see the same thing with Marshall?

no because he passed his Physical and he has practiced now it would have to be IR..

FanInAZ
07-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Do you keep track of what's happening with the Cardinals?

If so, what happening with Alan Branch? Is he in danger of being cut ? I've read in several articles that this might be his last chance.

Actually, it is a lot easier to follow the Cards living here in AZ. However, I never heard of this guy. I looked up his stats on NFL.com and found out why I've never heard of this guy.

He only played in 11 games last year and made only 15 tackles in 1st 2 seasons combined. He had one tackle in season fanally against Seatle. His previous tackle before that was the 1 he assisted on in week 4 against the Jets.

Based on this, I doubt that he's the solution to our defense's problems.

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Actually, it is a lot easier to follow the Cards living here in AZ. However, I never heard of this guy. I looked up his stats on NFL.com and found out why I've never heard of this guy.

He only played in 11 games last year and made only 15 tackles in 1st 2 seasons combined. He had one tackle in season fanally against Seatle. His previous tackle before that was the 1 he assisted on in week 4 against the Jets.

Based on this, I doubt that he's the solution to our defense's problems.

did better than most did last year..........

frauschieze
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM
no because he passed his Physical and he has practiced now it would have to be IR..

According to what Tned just posted, TC hasn't "started" yet. We still have more than a week before the first preseason game. And I don't believe that practicing has any effect on the PUP list. I could be wrong.

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 09:39 PM
According to what Tned just posted, TC hasn't "started" yet. We still have more than a week before the first preseason game. And I don't believe that practicing has any effect on the PUP list. I could be wrong.

as I understand it TC starts when you take the physical and are not placed on PUP.. TC started for injured players and rookies yesterday..

as I understand it once they clear the physical they are golden.. and it would have to be IR.. but I also could be wrong..

the reason they take the physical is to make sure some of these mental midgets are not trying to get a years worth of IR money or a settlement for the team.. If they are accepted then it becomes IR instead of PUP....

WARHORSE
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM

I dont see any Broncos.

I do see some Bears possibly though.:coffee:

horsepig
07-28-2009, 10:05 PM
Too many rules!

Lonestar
07-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Too many rules!

except on tuesday if you have green eyes and wear one brown sock and one navy one.. then the rules are easy..

ursamajor
07-29-2009, 04:44 AM
He's not gone. Can't he be pulled off the PUP at any time during the preseason?so long as he is pulled off before the final 53 man roster is set. If he isnt, he will have to sit the 1st 6 games

Dirk
07-29-2009, 05:34 AM
Your head must have been buried in the sand last year. Woodyard was one of very few bright spots on this team, when he stepped in for DJ Williams without any loss of production. Some would argue he played better.

No need to elaborate on your post Frau....just quote it. :D

Denver Native (Carol)
07-29-2009, 09:33 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=9176

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- After vigorously rehabbing a knee injury suffered in early June, Wesley Woodyard was anxious to return to the field on Monday. Instead he spent a portion of his day in the hospital, getting fluids put back into his system after being infested by a stomach virus.

One day later, Woodyard was on that field. He made his training camp debut -- as did counterpart D.J. Williams. Both players participated in every drill during the club's a.m. and p.m. practice sessions.

"I'm actually glad that I'm out here, getting a chance to get a head start," Woodyard said.

While most veterans are still enjoying their offseason, Woodyard -- who sprained the posterior cruciate ligament in his right knee during the club's passing camp -- is using the extra time with the coaching staff to his advantage.

After missing a portion of practices this spring, the second-year pro spent a large portion of the team's month-long layoff at Dove Valley, receiving treatment on his knee. Now healthy, he's using each practice this week to get his "football legs" back and also relearn portions of the playbook.

With a new coaching staff in place, Woodyard realizes he has to establish himself as a commodity for the new staff during training camp … and he wouldn't have it any other way.

"I think you should have to prove yourself every year," Woodyard said. "But we have some great coaches on this coaching staff so we're pretty excited. D.J. (Williams) was actually talking about that earlier (on Tuesday), that we're pretty excited about running this defensive scheme and seeing how things play out this year."

One player looking forward to seeing how things play out during training camp is college free agent Lee Robinson. At his first camp practice on Monday, Robinson spent the majority of the session working one-on-one with linebackers coach Don Martindale.

Although he enjoyed the hands-on work with his position coach -- and assistant linebackers coach Roman Phifer -- having Woodyard and Williams around on Tuesday added a new dimension.

"It helps your game so much when you have someone to learn from," Robinson said. "You can see what coach was teaching me, (by what) someone else is doing."

Robinson has been watching what Woodyard has been doing for awhile. The 6-foot-2 linebacker hopes to emulate Woodyard's success - an undrafted college free agent who made the 53-man roster and started six games for the Broncos last season.

That's why he has been all ears this offseason - and expects to be through training camp - any time Woodyard shares with him tidbits of advice.

"He tells me to just put your head down and work hard," Robinson said. "Never take anything for granted. Every day, you come out here and act like it's the Super Bowl all game."

HANDS ON

For the second consecutive day, Ryan Torain was the solo running back working with coach Bobby Turner. For the time being, the second-year back is relishing his alone time with his position coach.

"It's a great opportunity and I've got to take advantage of it, having one-on-ones," Torain said. "With me pretty much missing all the mini-camps, it's giving me a chance to catch up.

Torain missed most of the team's spring practices after rehabbing from ACL surgery. But the 6-foot-1, 225-pounder said his knee feels fine now, and he's prepared to contribute to the team - whether it be in the backfield or on special teams.

Moving in and out of different formations on Tuesday, Torain practiced running routes out of the backfield and taking handoffs.

"Any time I can get on the field I'm taking the opportunity, and I'm ready to have a great time playing football," he said.

STOKLEY CHECKS IN

With an array of excitement emanating from Dove Valley these days, it's hard for veterans -- even those who are not expected to report to camp yet -- not to want to be a part of it.

Brandon Stokley doesn't need to report to camp until Friday. But seemingly ready for the 2009 season to get underway, the 11th-year wide receiver made an appearance at the team's Englewood facility -- on his day off.

"Kind of hard to stay away from work I guess," Stokley said with a smile.

While camp is never any veteran's favorite time of the year, Stokley believes with all the changes surrounding the team this offseason, the three-week period has a more enthusiastic vibe than he has seen in years past.

"Training camp is training camp - it kind of is what it is," he said. "It's not my favorite but it's what you have to do to get ready to play football and get ready to win games. When you have different staff and a lot of different things going on, it does add excitement to it."

ATTENDANCE

Wide receivers Brandon Marshall and Lucas Taylor did not partake in either of the club's two practices at team headquarters on Tuesday.

Head Coach Josh McDaniels said both players were held out for precautionary measures.

"Nothing more than that," McDaniels said. "It was a coaching decision. When they're fully ready and healthy and we feel good about where they are at, they'll be out here on the practice field."

McDaniels did not have a timetable for either player's return. However, he assured media members that when both individuals are healthy, they'll be back out on the practice field.

"When they're ready and we feel like they're ready and able to come out here and practice the way we want them to practice, relative to what's sore on their bodies, then we'll have them out here."

DAWKINS REACTS TO JOHNSON'S PASSING

Longtime Philadelphia Eagles defensive coordinator Jim Johnson passed away on Tuesday. Brian Dawkins, who played under Johnson during a 10-year period from 1999-2008, had this to say:

"This is a sad, sad day for myself and my Philadelphia family," Dawkins said. "Jim was tailor-made to coach in Philadelphia. He was a tough coach who wasn't afraid to let you know how he was feeling, but at the same time, he cared about us deeply. He was an absolute blessing to me with the way he used me on the football field and allowed me to show my God-given ability. His confidence in me meant so much-he looked to create new defenses each week to utilize my talents. I have been praying for him every day, and those prayers won't stop now. I'll be praying for his family and their comfort during this difficult time."

When told of Johnson's passing, Chris Simms was saddened by the news. He also spoke about the loss:

"I have tremendous respect for him as a person and as a coach," Simms said. "I know a lot of people that do know him, and they spoke very highly of him. It's a shame, it really is. It's a good man to lose."

Denver Native (Carol)
07-29-2009, 10:46 PM
http://www.fm1043thefan.com/channels/audioOnDemand/Story.aspx?ID=1120258