PDA

View Full Version : Are Broncos looking at a trade for Matt Moore?

Tned
08-09-2012, 07:17 AM
I was listening to Brandon Spano's show last night and his producer, Zach Fogg (@zachfoggsports) who acts as much as a co-host as producer on the Spano show and the one that follows Spano (it's early, and I'm drawing a blank on the show name), mentioned that there has been some talk linking Matt Moore to the Broncos.

The rumors floating around are that if Moore continues to trail Garrard in camp, then the Dolphins will be interested in moving him. On the other hand, the feeling by many is that the Broncos may not be comfortable with Hanie or Weber as a backup to Manning and may want another option.

shank
08-09-2012, 08:28 AM
if they're not comfortable with brock as the backup then i'm uncomfortable with a few things.

MOtorboat
08-09-2012, 08:30 AM
I'm surprised, not on the Broncos end, but on the Dolphins end. I would think they'd want to keep all three quarterbacks at this point.

rationalfan
08-09-2012, 09:41 AM
interesting. but it sounds like an easy assumption built up from the matt moore/john fox connection in carolina.

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2012, 09:44 AM
If Moore is released, absolutely. Not sure how I feel about Denver wanted to make a trade for a guy that they hope doesn't play and will only likely be on the roster this year.

Ravage!!!
08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I actually like the idea. We all know Brock was supposed to be mentored for a couple years, and Moore would be a much better back-up than Hanie. I don't think Moore is needed, I don't think we give up more than a 7th for him, and I don't think he will play.

That being said, I don't think we need to go after him. I don't think THIS is our run for a deep playoff season, anyway. I'm expecting more on that NEXT year. If Manning goes down early in the season, then I would expect to see a vet back-up for a few games to see how the team is doing, and then eventually get Brock some play time. If Manning goes down late in the season, depending on our record and playoff chances... pretty much the same thing.

Either way, the season is pretty much over if Manning is out. I know the team would never "give up" purely because one player is out, but thats the reality that fans can say, while Management can't.

If we bring him in, ok. If we don't... ok. Right now, seems to be nothing more than a rumor anyway.

vandammage13
08-09-2012, 10:05 AM
If Moore is released, absolutely. Not sure how I feel about Denver wanted to make a trade for a guy that they hope doesn't play and will only likely be on the roster this year.

The Dolphins will probably hold out until Manning gets injured again so they can get more in a trade :couch:

Denver Native (Carol)
08-09-2012, 10:17 AM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/420062-AFC-West-Blog

broncofaninfla
08-09-2012, 10:18 AM
I feel better about Moore than I do Hanie or Weber at this point and could certainly understand wanting to bring in a vet to start over Brock at this point.

silkamilkamonico
08-09-2012, 11:19 AM
Moore has been a good player in the NFL. Miami's issues with him are the same Carolina had with him, that he is terrible in practice and they weren't comfortable with him as a leader in the big picture. Kind of hard to go out Sunday's hoping your QB is going to show up when you spend all week practicing with him and the offense never gets anything done because the QB doesn't execute in practice. He's been solid in games though.

Northman
08-09-2012, 11:20 AM
I would take Moore over Hanie anyday.

TXBRONC
08-09-2012, 11:27 AM
The Dolphins will probably hold out until Manning gets injured again so they can get more in a trade :couch:

Yep and by a country mile that would better than having Tebow here. :coffee:

CrazyHorse
08-09-2012, 11:36 AM
Caleb Hanie for Matt Moore straight up.

NightTerror218
08-09-2012, 11:41 AM
It might happen. I think the intention is to slowly break Oz into the flow of the NFL. So he will get some snaps this season is games that are blowouts. But Elway will want a solid backup to Manning in the event of an injury. do not want the season to go down drain.

Tned
08-09-2012, 12:08 PM
interesting. but it sounds like an easy assumption built up from the matt moore/john fox connection in carolina.

Yep, because I've heard others speculate about Delhomme (not sure where he is this year).

MileHighCrew
08-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Doesn't really matter, there is no Plan B

TXBRONC
08-09-2012, 12:22 PM
It might happen. I think the intention is to slowly break Oz into the flow of the NFL. So he will get some snaps this season is games that are blowouts. But Elway will want a solid backup to Manning in the event of an injury. do not want the season to go down drain.

I agree with everyone who is saying that Moore would be a better option but I stiil wouldn't want Denver to trade for him.

vandammage13
08-09-2012, 12:23 PM
Yep and by a country mile that would better than having Tebow here. :coffee:

You're right...With Hainie and Moore we could have 2 QBs that Tebow beat on our roster...That sounds much better to me.

TXBRONC
08-09-2012, 12:29 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/420062-AFC-West-Blog

The critical point in Clayton's opinion is that Denver would wait until Moore is released.

Chef Zambini
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
so now, all of a sudden some of you are open to the idea of bringing in a vet back-up if Pm got in jured/
funny how that mentality changes when i dont post the thread.
carry on.

jhildebrand
08-09-2012, 12:37 PM
I like the idea of Matt Moore a lot and I don't think anyone should read between the lines in anyway as a slight against Osweiler.

MOtorboat
08-09-2012, 12:41 PM
so now, all of a sudden some of you are open to the idea of bringing in a vet back-up if Pm got in jured/
carry on.

:martyr:

DenBronx
08-09-2012, 12:42 PM
I actually like Moore. He is a thousand times better than Hanie and I would feel much better with him on the roster in case something happened to Manning.

But yeah what does this say about Brock? Maybe nothing because he's a rookie and not alot is expected right now. But it does say the Broncos want to be prepared and I'm ok with that.

Ziggy
08-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I still think that as long as Brock looks decent in the preseason we go with two QB's on the roster and Weber on the PS again. Moore isn't getting this team to the super bowl and neither is anyone on the roster not named Manning. There's still too many holes to fill.

NightTerror218
08-10-2012, 10:47 PM
with Garrad injuring knee Moore might stay in Miami longer

Davii
08-10-2012, 11:01 PM
carry on.

The thread was moving along so well.....

MOtorboat
08-10-2012, 11:11 PM
You're right...With Hainie and Moore we could have 2 QBs that Tebow beat on our roster...That sounds much better to me.

Piss poor analysis, as usual.

Garrard's injury makes this moot.

Simple Jaded
08-11-2012, 02:38 AM

I don't think that was his point, just that it'd be better to have a better QB than Tebow as a backup.

As for Moore; the Broncos saw fit to sign Hanie as a backup instead of pursuing a trade, while everyone would much prefer Moore if he were available, did Hanie really do anything to hurt his chances yesterday? Having Moore would be better but backups are hard to find and even before Garrard's injury I don't see why Mia would trade a nice backup option.

Hanie would make an ideal 3rd string QB and I think that's exactly what he'd ultimately be in Denver.......

Ravage!!!
08-11-2012, 11:26 AM
I think we are fine at QB, as I said before. We aren't going to go after anyone, and we don't need to.

Mannway187
08-12-2012, 11:30 AM
I think we are fine at QB, as I said before. We aren't going to go after anyone, and we don't need to.

Ditto.

I don't think Hanie makes it out of camp.

The way Oz and Weber played on Thursday shows that either one can move this offense down the field.

As for Manning going down, look at his past injury history and you'll see that he isn't the type of QB that takes chances. He doesn't put himself in position to take hits. He had played in every game he suited up for since he was 13 years old. He's like the Cal Ripkin of football. 22 years straight until last year when he took time off voluntarily to get his check up from the neck up.

Besides when was the last time a QB past his prime ended his career because of injury? Joe Theisman? Doesn't happen to often and it ain't happening here.

Elway is not going to mess with either Oz's or Weber's confidence by making a deal for a backup. Not while he has an iron man showing them how its done.

Sit back and enjoy the next three years. Manning isn't leaving the game until he can do it on Elways terms. Retire as the reigning Super Bowl MVP....Of course I can't wait to hear Manning tell the world that "This ones for John"!!!

Nomad
08-12-2012, 11:34 AM
So is Tannehill not beating out Moore?

Ravage!!!
08-12-2012, 11:52 AM
So is Tannehill not beating out Moore?

No. Moore is a pretty "decent" QB. I think 16 TDs and 9 INTs in his starting time last year with over 60% completion %. His QB rating is pretty decent (and again, I think thats the silliest stat ever, but some like it). So Moore is the better QB at THIS point, however, Miami obviously doesn't want him to be their starter. I mean, they bring in Garrard, and they jump at Tannehill. So if thats' the situation, and they just really don't want Moore as the QB, then I would think they start the season wit Moore, give Tannehill a few games (3) to sit and watch, and from the point forward you put your rookie in to learn. After all, you didn't draft him to sit.

I don't think Tannehill beats out Moore in stats or play, but because he's a first round pick, he'll get the nod.

Nomad
08-12-2012, 11:55 AM
No. Moore is a pretty "decent" QB. I think 16 TDs and 9 INTs in his starting time last year with over 60% completion %. His QB rating is pretty decent (and again, I think thats the silliest stat ever, but some like it). So Moore is the better QB at THIS point, however, Miami obviously doesn't want him to be their starter. I mean, they bring in Garrard, and they jump at Tannehill. So if thats' the situation, and they just really don't want Moore as the QB, then I would think they start the season wit Moore, give Tannehill a few games (3) to sit and watch, and from the point forward you put your rookie in to learn. After all, you didn't draft him to sit.

I don't think Tannehill beats out Moore in stats or play, but because he's a first round pick, he'll get the nod.

I haven't been following Miami so I was wondering. Luck plays this morning so I'll tune in. Game is on in 30 min on NFLN.

Ravage!!!
08-12-2012, 11:57 AM
I haven't been following Miami so I was wondering. Luck plays this morning so I'll tune in. Game is on in 30 min on NFLN.

I wish I would watch... although I'm still a stickler when it comes to pre-season. I just don't take much notice because I don't think pre-season means anything.

Simple Jaded
08-12-2012, 08:19 PM
Tannehill looked good, dude.......

TXBRONC
08-13-2012, 10:13 AM
I actually like Moore. He is a thousand times better than Hanie and I would feel much better with him on the roster in case something happened to Manning.

But yeah what does this say about Brock? Maybe nothing because he's a rookie and not alot is expected right now. But it does say the Broncos want to be prepared and I'm ok with that.

What it says is that Fox and Elway want at least one experienced quarterback behind Manning besides Osweiler.

Superchop 7
08-13-2012, 01:14 PM
What it says is that Fox and Elway want at least one experienced quarterback behind Manning besides Osweiler.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ....................

Which.....from a "hold the fort down" standpoint makes total sense. Most QBs are not knocked out for a year. I would cheer the move.....no sense in having Oz go in till he is ready.

Chef Zambini
08-13-2012, 01:21 PM
no question the phins are looking to move moore. i dont understand why the broncosd would be interested in him?
we already have haine taking away valuable reps from guys that could serve a purpose this season ans next.
moore means LESS for our broncos, less reps for PM and OZ as well as weber, who looked like he desrved more time, not MOORE time.

Ravage!!!
08-13-2012, 01:32 PM
no question the phins are looking to move moore. i dont understand why the broncosd would be interested in him?
we already have haine taking away valuable reps from guys that could serve a purpose this season ans next.
moore means LESS for our broncos, less reps for PM and OZ as well as weber, who looked like he desrved more time, not MOORE time.

What? How would he be taking reps away from anyone?

Cugel
08-13-2012, 05:40 PM
I actually like the idea. We all know Brock was supposed to be mentored for a couple years, and Moore would be a much better back-up than Hanie. I don't think Moore is needed, I don't think we give up more than a 7th for him, and I don't think he will play.

That being said, I don't think we need to go after him. I don't think THIS is our run for a deep playoff season, anyway. I'm expecting more on that NEXT year. If Manning goes down early in the season, then I would expect to see a vet back-up for a few games to see how the team is doing, and then eventually get Brock some play time. If Manning goes down late in the season, depending on our record and playoff chances... pretty much the same thing.

Either way, the season is pretty much over if Manning is out. I know the team would never "give up" purely because one player is out, but thats the reality that fans can say, while Management can't.

If we bring him in, ok. If we don't... ok. Right now, seems to be nothing more than a rumor anyway.

I hope they dump Haney, put Weber on the PS and forget about Moore!

AS you say. If Manning goes down for more than 1 or 2 games the season is over. Period. They might as well put in Osweiler and get him some experience.

The fans would like to see that and it couldn't hurt.

On the other hand, there's not much difference between Osweiler, Weber and Hanie's performance. Hanie has not outplayed the other two and has not been impressive.

Moore might be a better option than Hanie, but realistically it would be better to simply bring Weber up from the practice squad if they need a QB for a game or two, or else go straight to Osweiler.

That way the can add an additional RB or DB or WR. The reality is that they're not winning any games without Peyton Manning, whether Moore or Weber or Hanie or Osweiler is their QB. (Unless they're playing Tampa Bay).

pnbronco
08-13-2012, 06:18 PM
I thought I heard on the radio that Garrard is having surgery so doesn't that end any thought of cutting Moore?

Cugel I really hope you're right that Weber makes the PS. I just like that kid so much it will be really tough for me if he gets cut completely.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-13-2012, 06:25 PM
I thought I heard on the radio that Garrard is having surgery so doesn't that end any thought of cutting Moore?

Cugel I really hope you're right that Weber makes the PS. I just like that kid so much it will be really tough for me if he gets cut completely.

I'd rather just cut Hanie and keep Oz and Weber as the backups. Like Cugel said, without Manning, we probably don't have much chance. I see Weber and Oz as much brighter prospects than Hanie. I'd be much more interested in watching them than Hanie if Manning gets hurt.

MOtorboat
08-13-2012, 06:49 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure an injury ended any thought of this actually happening.

Who's the fourth quarterback on Miami's roster?

Superchop 7
08-13-2012, 08:45 PM
Garrard is out 2~4 weeks......plenty of time to evaluate.....you are all out of your minds wanting Oz in this year.....see Carr\David.....give him time to learn the playbook and the game. Moore is a lot better than you think he is.

MOtorboat
08-13-2012, 08:49 PM
Garrard is out 2~4 weeks......plenty of time to evaluate.....you are all out of your minds wanting Oz in this year.....see Carr\David.....give him time to learn the playbook and the game. Moore is a lot better than you think he is.

It's not a lot of time, but it's not ENOUGH time for the Dolphins just to throw in the towel and trade Moore. Plus, it's a knee injury to a 34-year old quarterback.

I don't know, at this point, why the Dolphins wouldn't hold on to all three.

Superchop 7
08-13-2012, 09:08 PM
They would dump Moore because he is a poor fit for their system. Garrard is a natural fit. However....if the Broncos do make a move.....you should know that he is a gamer and not a practice qb. Moore is a fan favorite.....they need to dump him to stop contoversy......sound familiar?

MOtorboat
08-13-2012, 09:12 PM
They would dump Moore because he is a poor fit for their system. Garrard is a natural fit. However....if the Broncos do make a move.....you should know that he is a gamer and not a practice qb. Moore is a fan favorite.....they need to dump him to stop contoversy......sound familiar?

Who is the fourth quarterback? Who is backing up Tannehill in week one or two, or three, if Garrard isn't ready to go?

Superchop 7
08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
If they actually did this move......their homework was outstanding.

TXBRONC
08-13-2012, 11:27 PM
I hope they dump Haney, put Weber on the PS and forget about Moore!

AS you say. If Manning goes down for more than 1 or 2 games the season is over. Period. They might as well put in Osweiler and get him some experience.

The fans would like to see that and it couldn't hurt.

On the other hand, there's not much difference between Osweiler, Weber and Hanie's performance. Hanie has not outplayed the other two and has not been impressive.

Moore might be a better option than Hanie, but realistically it would be better to simply bring Weber up from the practice squad if they need a QB for a game or two, or else go straight to Osweiler.

That way the can add an additional RB or DB or WR. The reality is that they're not winning any games without Peyton Manning, whether Moore or Weber or Hanie or Osweiler is their QB. (Unless they're playing Tampa Bay).

We carried three quarterbacks on the active roster last year and IIRC Fox typically carries three quarterbacks.

Simple Jaded
08-14-2012, 03:08 AM
No, it doesn't sound familiar. The fan "favorite part", yes, but the "gamer" part no.......

vandammage13
08-14-2012, 10:48 AM
Who is the fourth quarterback? Who is backing up Tannehill in week one or two, or three, if Garrard isn't ready to go?

That would be the immortal Pat Devlin...I'm sure you heard of him...OK neither did I before I looked it up for you.

Chef Zambini
08-14-2012, 12:32 PM
dont players have to clear waivers before being designaTED TO THE PRACTICE SQUAD/
iSNT THIS HOW WE LOST A PLAYER TO THE PATS a few years back?
weber, oz and PM.
they all need and deserve reps.
haine or moore would just steal reps from them in the Pre-Season.
If we bring in moore AFTER weber is designated to the Practice Squad , then I would be ok with the move.
we should dump haine NOW, he stinks and is just an impedimant to the growth of all our other viable QBs.

Canmore
08-15-2012, 03:25 AM
dont players have to clear waivers before being designaTED TO THE PRACTICE SQUAD/
weber, oz and PM.
If we bring in moore AFTER weber is designated to the Practice Squad , then I would be ok with the move.
we should dump haine NOW, he stinks and is just an impedimant to the growth of all our other viable QBs.

Yes Zam, players have to clear waivers first before you can place them on the practice squad.

Jsteve01
08-15-2012, 07:22 AM

That would be the immortal Pat Devlin...I'm sure you heard of him...OK neither did I before I looked it up for you. decline is flaccos successor. Only beyond being big he has little else in common

MOtorboat
08-15-2012, 07:36 AM
weber, oz and PM.

Osweiler is the only one eligible for the practice squad. And you don't put a second round quarterback on waivers.

Ravage!!!
08-15-2012, 09:44 AM

How is Garrard a natural fit?? :confused:

Chef Zambini
08-16-2012, 10:44 PM
How is Garrard a natural fit?? :confused:read the back of the condom box.

Chef Zambini
08-16-2012, 10:45 PM
Osweiler is the only one eligible for the practice squad. And you don't put a second round quarterback on waivers.tell jmarcus russel.

BORDERLINE
08-16-2012, 11:08 PM
adding Moore would be a solid upgrade at QB. But giving up anything to get him would nullify his value IMO

Chef Zambini
08-16-2012, 11:22 PM
adding Moore would be a solid upgrade at QB. But giving up anything to get him would nullify his value IMOI agree he would be an upgrade, but does moore have a future with the broncos?
he can be our back-up for a year or two?
is that what he wants?
is that whats best for the broncos and the developmewnt of OZ, possibly even weber?
if we dump haine for moore, I guess I am ok with it as an insurance policy for 2 years.

TXBRONC
08-16-2012, 11:28 PM
Osweiler is the only one eligible for the practice squad. And you don't put a second round quarterback on waivers.

Doesn't Weber have one more year of eligibility if Denver was inclined to put him on the practice squad?