PDA

View Full Version : Lepsis feeling great in injury comeback

topscribe
08-28-2007, 02:23 AM
Matt Lepsis' desire for training camp and the preseason?

He just wanted to feel good. He just wanted his surgically repaired right knee to hold up. He didn't want to suffer any setbacks. He didn't want to worry about life in the trenches. He just wanted to be the same as he was before last October. He knew he would have an answer for himself and for the Broncos, who are a different offense with Lepsis in the lineup than without him.

Lepsis wanted to play in the preseason so the veteran left tackle would know that when the bell rings Sept. 9 at Buffalo, he would be fine. He got his answers after two preseason starts.

"I feel great," Lepsis said. "No problems."

While some Broncos fans nervously await the start of the regular season after a shaky preseason, the Lepsis factor can't be underestimated. The Broncos need him.

Even though the coaching staff was happy with the play of Erik Pears in Lepsis' place, the offense missed Lepsis after he suffered a torn ACL in his right knee Oct. 22 at Cleveland.

After having surgery last fall, Lepsis made steady improvement. Initially, it was not known if he would be ready for training camp. But he made strong progress during offseason workouts and appeared to be his old self early in training camp.

Still, Lepsis wanted to see how his knee would react in a game situation. Lepsis said he was not worried about the knee giving him problems, but he wanted to make sure. He needed to taste game action. What was most encouraging was he felt his recovery was much faster that it was in 1997 and 1998 when he was coming back from a major left knee injury he suffered while at Colorado.

Lepsis, 33, had to wait to test the knee in a game because he suffered a groin injury in training camp. It kept him out of the preseason opener at San Francisco on Aug. 13. He made his 2007 debut Aug. 18 at Dallas.

Lepsis also played Saturday against Cleveland,
Broncos left tackle Matt Lepsis, who gimped through the offseason after reconstructive knee surgery and limped through the preseason with a groin strain, says he is now 100 percent healthy and ready to go. (Post / John Leyba)
into the third quarter along with the rest of the Broncos' first team. Like the rest of the first team, Lepsis is not expected to play Thursday against Arizona in the preseason finale.

Lepsis' test is over. The next time he plays in a game will be at Buffalo. And he will be playing the entire game, with protecting quarterback Jay Cutler a major responsibility.

"I think I'm all the way back," Lepsis said. "It was good to get game experience in there. I really wasn't worried about not being ready, but I wanted to see how it went and it went great."

Broncos coach Mike Shanahan is excited to know his Pro Bowl- caliber left tackle is ready. Like any player, there were no a guarantees Lepsis would be able to return so quickly, so having him back erases a concern.

"In his first game, it looked like it was his first game back," Shanahan said. "But in the last game, he looked really good. It likes like Matt will be back at his high level, and that's good."

All that new Broncos running back Travis Henry has seen of Lepsis is a healthy lineman, and Henry likes what he sees. Henry said he knew about Lepsis' ability when he was playing for Buffalo and Tennessee and said running behind Lepsis was one of the reasons he felt strongly about signing with the Broncos.

"Everyone knows so much about this line and how well it works for running backs, and Matt is a big reason for it," Henry said. "He makes our line. You just see it in film. He looks great and having him healthy is going to make a big difference for us."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_6735685

With a healthy Lepsis, we just added two wins to our W-L for the season. http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_rockon.gif

-----

Tned
08-28-2007, 07:48 AM
That's good news, a healthy Lepsis is pretty darn important. A healthy Lepsis blocking the blindside, and the line getting blocking help from Graham and Henry, and hopefully the pass protection will be better this year than last.

Skinny
08-28-2007, 08:18 AM
Hello Top, good to see ya again.

I did'nt see anything on Lepsis weight. Last report had him listed well below his usuall playing weight. Has anyone heard or read anything on this??

hotcarl
09-07-2012, 09:58 PM
it looks like its time to bring in a decent doctor for this fat moron

hotcarl
09-07-2012, 09:59 PM
hats off, 'scribe. *farts and shits at the same time*