PDA

View Full Version : If you attempt a 101 yard field goal, and you miss it, is it a safety?

sneakers
08-07-2012, 07:15 PM
:welcome:

edit: I mean 111 yard field goal.

edit: no i think i mean 101 yard field goal? Yeah I think so......or not?

edit: No I definitely mean a 111 yard field goal.

chazoe60
08-07-2012, 07:20 PM
That's an interesting question. I guess one sure way of knowing is to try it on Madden and see what happens.

NightTerror218
08-07-2012, 07:34 PM
i think you have to kick it out of bounds for that to happen, because players can catch a short kick and run it back.

Softskull
08-07-2012, 07:38 PM
I think it's time to ease off the "medication".

topscribe
08-07-2012, 08:11 PM
That's just Sneak being Sneak. :lol:

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 08:41 PM
That's a good question sneaks. I would imagine the answer is yes.

shank
08-08-2012, 07:34 AM
i think you have to kick it out of bounds for that to happen, because players can catch a short kick and run it back.

but if it would be a safety, would you put someone back there to return it or take the guaranteed 2 points?

BroncoWave
08-08-2012, 10:38 AM
That's a good question sneaks. I would imagine the answer is yes.

I have to agree, because when you miss a FG, the other team gets the ball from the spot it was kicked. Since that spot would have been in the endzone, you can't give them the ball there, so I think it has to be a safety.

Ravage!!!
08-08-2012, 11:54 AM
So you are kicking it from inside your own endzone? I would guess that if you miss as it goes short, the ball is live as it lays on the field. If a player from the defense picks it up first, he can run it back for a TD (if not tackled). If a player from the kicking team gets to the ball laying first, its a dead ball, and the ball would then be spotted on the kicking team's 20 yrd line. If the defense catches the ball, or picks it up from the ground, and then attempts to return it...the ball is placed at the spot of the downed ball (or tackle).

Ravage!!!
08-08-2012, 11:59 AM
I have to agree, because when you miss a FG, the other team gets the ball from the spot it was kicked. Since that spot would have been in the endzone, you can't give them the ball there, so I think it has to be a safety.

But that's only if the ball goes through the back of the endzone. The reason a FG is returnable, is because it stays within play. Its and offensive play, not much different than a punt. The reason its placed from where the kick was attempted is because that would be the new LoS the moment the ball is placed on the spot. HOwever, once its kicked, its a live ball as long as it stays in bounds (which is why a blocked kick can be returned for a TD as well).

MOtorboat
08-08-2012, 12:01 PM
So you are kicking it from inside your own endzone? I would guess that if you miss as it goes short, the ball is live as it lays on the field. If a player from the defense picks it up first, he can run it back for a TD (if not tackled). If a player from the kicking team gets to the ball laying first, its a dead ball, and the ball would then be spotted on the kicking team's 20 yrd line. If the defense catches the ball, or picks it up from the ground, and then attempts to return it...the ball is placed at the spot of the downed ball (or tackle).

So the rule made famous by Leon Lett takes over. That actually makes the most sense.

NightTerror218
08-08-2012, 12:06 PM
But that's only if the ball goes through the back of the endzone. The reason a FG is returnable, is because it stays within play. Its and offensive play, not much different than a punt. The reason its placed from where the kick was attempted is because that would be the new LoS the moment the ball is placed on the spot. HOwever, once its kicked, its a live ball as long as it stays in bounds (which is why a blocked kick can be returned for a TD as well).

exactly what I was trying to say.... unless the kicker can actually get it out of bounds its live

BroncoWave
08-08-2012, 12:10 PM

The 20 yard line rule only applies if the ball is kicked from inside the 20 yard line if I'm reading it correctly. If kicked from outside the 20 and the defensive team doesn't touch the ball, it becomes a dead ball and they get it from the spot the ball was kicked.

This is the rule:

Article 2 Missed Field Goals. If there is a missed field-goal attempt, and the ball has not been touched
by the receivers beyond the line in the field of play, the following shall apply:
(a) If the spot of the kick was inside the receivers’ 20-yard line, it is the receivers’ ball at the 20-yard line or
(b) If the spot of the kick was from the receivers’ 20-yard line or beyond the receivers’ 20-yard line, it is the
receivers’ ball at the spot of the kick.

jhildebrand
08-08-2012, 12:10 PM
It would be if it were blocked and recovered in the endzone.

Assuming the ball goes forward and stays in bounds, it is a live ball and can be returned. See Chris McAlister vs Broncos late in Shanahan era!

BroncoWave
08-08-2012, 12:15 PM
exactly what I was trying to say.... unless the kicker can actually get it out of bounds its live

From my interpretation it only becomes live if the receiving team touches it.

shank
08-08-2012, 12:18 PM
From my interpretation it only becomes live if the receiving team touches it.

that was how i thought it worked as well.

shank
08-08-2012, 12:22 PM
who here has madden?:elefant:

BroncoWave
08-08-2012, 12:26 PM
I'm almost 100% positive the ball only becomes live if the defensive team touches it. If they let the ball roll to a stop it becomes dead and they take it from where the FG was kicked.

jhildebrand
08-08-2012, 12:43 PM
Who really cares? :confused: I don't think any football team would be trying a 100 yard FG in the next century.

Ravage!!!
08-08-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm almost 100% positive the ball only becomes live if the defensive team touches it. If they let the ball roll to a stop it becomes dead and they take it from where the FG was kicked.

I believe you are right. I didn't look up the rules before making a guess, but much like a punt that is live, if the ball just sits for a few seconds, the whistle is blown dead. If thats the case in this instance, the ball would be then place ( as you said) and would be a safety. :salute:

BroncoWave
08-08-2012, 12:54 PM
Who really cares? :confused: I don't think any football team would be trying a 100 yard FG in the next century.

Because it's something fun to discuss.

BroncoWave
08-08-2012, 12:55 PM
I believe you are right. I didn't look up the rules before making a guess, but much like a punt that is live, if the ball just sits for a few seconds, the whistle is blown dead. If thats the case in this instance, the ball would be then place ( as you said) and would be a safety. :salute:

Yeah, I think the only kicking situation in which a ball stays live on the ground is a kickoff since either team can recover and take possession.

shank
08-08-2012, 12:56 PM

we just locked up matt ******* prater bro, it's a possibility.

BroncoNut
08-08-2012, 12:58 PM
it's an impossible scenario. one would have to have the ball on the -1 yard, in the end zone, and that would have already been the safety with the team having to kick the ball to the team that scored the safety. that is my understanding at this time anyway

shank
08-08-2012, 12:59 PM
it's an impossible scenario. one would have to have the ball on the -1 yard, in the end zone, and that would have already been the safety with the team having to kick the ball to the team that scored the safety. that is my understanding at this time anyway
if you kicked a field goal from your own 6, it would be placed inside your own endzone. yardage is determined from the spot of the kick, not the line of scrimmage.

Ravage!!!
08-08-2012, 01:01 PM

The ball could be on the 6, and snapped back to the -1 for the hold. Unless its illegal to place the ball for the hold inside the endzone, to begin with.

BroncoNut
08-08-2012, 01:01 PM
if you kicked a field goal from your own 6, it would be placed inside your own endzone. yardage is determined from the spot of the kick, not the line of scrimmage.

I would think that the team would punt the ball in that case then. to get better field position. the chances of making a field goal from that far away is pretty low I would imagine. Even for the best kicker in the league whoever that is.

Ravage!!!
08-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Im actually guessing, that it may be illegal to place the ball down for a kick inside your own endzone, since the placement of the ball to the turf designates a new LoS. Thus, having to place the ball at the 6" mark so that the refs could then place the ball in event of a miss.

shank
08-08-2012, 01:05 PM
Im actually guessing, that it may be illegal to place the ball down for a kick inside your own endzone, since the placement of the ball to the turf designates a new LoS. Thus, having to place the ball at the 6" mark so that the refs could then place the ball in event of a miss.

unless, in doing so, you subject yourself to an automatic safety in the case of a miss, which is what keeps sneakers up at day.

MasterShake
08-08-2012, 01:06 PM
The ball could be on the 6, and snapped back to the -1 for the hold. Unless its illegal to place the ball for the hold inside the endzone, to begin with.

Doesn't the kicker usually have to take a pretty good running start to make a FG? Especially from that distance. I think the ball is usually placed about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Since you can't posess the ball in the endzone, I just don't see how its logistically possible.

BroncoNut
08-08-2012, 01:09 PM
not only logistically questionable MS. I also question the game calling here. it's probably better to punt the ball away

Ravage!!!
08-08-2012, 01:25 PM
Doesn't the kicker usually have to take a pretty good running start to make a FG? Especially from that distance. I think the ball is usually placed about 8 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Since you can't posess the ball in the endzone, I just don't see how its logistically possible.

You can possess the ball in the endzone. QBs drop back in the endzone all the time. Punters kick from the endzone all the time. Usually the kicker is 7 yrds behind the LoS on a field goal attempt..... but I would think kicking one 101 yrds the kicker would have to have a pretty good head start! Like in Kick Offs, they usually take a 13 step run!

MasterShake
08-08-2012, 01:27 PM
You can possess the ball in the endzone. QBs drop back in the endzone all the time. Punters kick from the endzone all the time. Usually the kicker is 7 yrds behind the LoS on a field goal attempt..... but I would think kicking one 101 yrds the kicker would have to have a pretty good head start! Like in Kick Offs, they usually take a 13 step run!

Sorry, what I mean is you can't take a snap with the ball in the endzone. The ball would be placed just outside and there is no room to get a good kick off from.

I was looking up the rules on this and came across a cool article. Worth the read if you have time:

15. A Team Can Score 3 Points Without Kicking A Field Goal

I put this one at the bottom because it’s the one that the most people probably know about. It’s the one that, if, say, you’re a grad student trying to compile a list of weird NFL rules and you start asking all your football-savvy friends for their input, will come up over and over again even though its one of the few things you already knew. Still, if you haven’t encountered this before it’s rather nifty. It turns out that, after a punt or a kickoff that was fielded by fair catch, the team receiving the kick actually has two options: they can run a play from scrimmage (also known as “doing normal football things”) or they can attempt a type of free kick called a “fair catch kick.” If the kick goes through the uprights, they score three points. Of course, in this day and age it almost never happens that a team receives a fair catch in good enough field position that they would rather try a free kick than just run some plays, but it happens occasionally towards the end of a half, particularly if there simply isn’t time to run any other kind of play. In 1969 a fair-catch kick was actually the game-winning score in a game for the Chicago Bears, and a year later the Redskins just missed a similar kick that would have broken the tie. Since then, only one more fair-catch kick has been successful (by the 76 Chargers), although a number have been tried. Here’s CU Alum Mason Crosby trying one two years ago with the Packers from 69 yards, and coming just short. What a shame.

http://wlogblog.wordpress.com/2011/02/03/15-strange-things-that-can-technically-happen-in-football/

MOtorboat
08-08-2012, 05:12 PM
who here has madden?:elefant:

I attempted a FG in the end zone with the defense on full on block, gave me a safety.

Attempted a FG in the end zone with defense on FG block return, gave me a safety and didn't give the returnman a chance to return.

shank
08-08-2012, 05:18 PM
I attempted a FG in the end zone with the defense on full on block, gave me a safety.

Attempted a FG in the end zone with defense on FG block return, gave me a safety and didn't give the returnman a chance to return.

what year do you have? i know they were late adding the ability to return short field goals. i haven't played since '11 and i honestly can't remember if it was even in it last year.

MOtorboat
08-08-2012, 05:22 PM
what year do you have? i know they were late adding the ability to return short field goals. i haven't played since '11 and i honestly can't remember if it was even in it last year.

Last year's

Day1BroncoFan
08-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I have another question:

Who would be stupid enough to attempt a FG that long?

BroncoWave
08-15-2012, 12:14 PM
I have another question:

Who would be stupid enough to attempt a FG that long?

That's not really the point of the thread. I think everyone would agree it's not something that would realistically ever happen in an NFL game. It's simply a hypothetical discussion on the rules. I think it's a pretty interesting topic.

Nomad
08-19-2012, 02:25 PM

I guess working nights will do that to a person. I start graveyard Monday night :( :lol:

EMB6903
08-19-2012, 06:53 PM
3 pages?

ShaneFalco
10-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Young Jeezy could make it.
http://cdn0.sbnation.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/461291/153117295.1349198557_standard_730.1349198580.jpg