PDA

View Full Version : Teammates give Garland sabre

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 01:18 PM
Maybe Carol can help me with a link, but Ben Garland, who lost his home in the fires, lost the sabres he received during graduation ceremonies at Air Force.

His Broncos teammates replaced one of those sabres today.

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Apparently it was both and the effort was spearheaded by Joe Mays.

http://www.gazette.com/sports/garland-142837-air-force.html

Great story.

LTC Pain
08-07-2012, 04:31 PM
Nice touch by his team mates. I got a sabre when I finished my assignment with the 3rd ACR. Made me pretty damn proud so I can understand how BG might feel. Cool stuff.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-07-2012, 05:24 PM
From Lindsay:

Even now, in the second week of training camp, the Broncos provided a reminder that there are things far greater than football. Broncos defensive players surprised teammate Ben Garland by presenting him with new Air Force Academy sabers and a Falcons helmet to replace the special mementos he lost when his grandparents' home was destroyed in the Waldo Canyon Fire.

Garland, a defensive lineman who gradated from the Academy in 2010, had searched the rubble for the sabers, hoping they had survived. What he found was warped and melted scraps of metal.

Teammates, led by linebacker Joe Mays, secretly made arrangements to purchase the sabers, which are presented to Academy cadets upon graduation. They are supposed to be irreplaceable, but an exception was made in Garland's case.

rest - plus things from today's practice - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21256813/broncos-ben-garland-gets-helping-hand-from-teammates?source=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

LTC Pain
08-08-2012, 09:11 AM
Following practice, defensive tackle Ben Garland was given two Air Force Academy sabres and an autographed Air Force Falcons football helmet as replacements to items his grandparents lost from their Colorado Springs home in the Waldo Canyon Fire. Not only did the fire melt the two sabres, but family World War I guns and other heirlooms that were kept in a 2,000-degree fire resistent safe.

"The fire was so intense it melted everything," Garland said.

It was Broncos' linebacker Joe Mays who organized the replacement gifts for Garland and his family. Mays and the Broncos' entire defensive line roster watched the post-practice gesture.

"Just good friends reaching out," said a surprised Garland. "I just can't say thank you enough."

BroncoJoe
08-08-2012, 09:17 AM
Maybe the most important statement from the article:

We're a family, no doubt about it.

broncofaninfla
08-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Great story! also hope the kid can make the team and contribute.