PDA

View Full Version : Marshall reports to Broncos camp but isn't happy

Lonestar
07-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Associated Press

Updated: July 27, 2009, 7:01 PM EDT
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (AP) - Recalcitrant receiver Brandon Marshall was an unhappy camper Monday when he reported for the first day of the Denver Broncos' training camp.

Marshall, who missed all offseason workouts while rehabbing from hip surgery and protesting his contract and his medical treatment from the team, participated in the short afternoon workout. But he made it clear afterward that he remains displeased with his situation.
He said the reason he showed up was to avoid the $15,888 daily fines he could have been assessed otherwise.

Marshall, who has asked for a contract renegotiation and, barring that, a trade, reported to camp along with the quarterbacks, rookies and other players coming off injuries. The first full squad workout is Friday.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9860444/Marshall-reports-to-Broncos-camp-but-isn't-happy

Lonestar
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post

Posted: 07/27/2009 11:19:43 AM MDT
Updated: 07/27/2009 05:57:06 PM MDT

Wide receiver Brandon Marshall won't say he's happy to still be with the with the Denver Broncos, but he did report for training camp Monday, the mandated day for the team's rookies and players who had offseason surgeries.

Asked Monday if he was happy to be with the team, Marshall said simply, "I'm happy to be playing football. That's what I've done since I was a little boy and hopefully that's what I can continue to do."

Marshall, who has expressed displeasure with his contract after back-to-back 100-catch seasons, had elected to rehab from his offseason hip surgery in Florida and had stayed away from both mandatory and voluntary offseason workouts.

Later asked why he elected to show up Monday he said: "Fifteen thousand. I mean, it's got to stop eventually. I definitely didn't want to get that fine, so I'm here."

Players who miss training camp practices are, by league rules, fined $15,888 per day.

Marshall also repeated his previous stance that, "I'm under contract, it's my obligation to be here and I'm here."

Marshall wants to renegotiate the $2.198 million salary left on the contract he received as a fourth-round rookie in 2006 and has said he wants to be traded if he doesn't get a new deal. Marshall is also facing an Aug. 13 trial in Atlanta on a misdemeanor battery charge. If Marshall is found guilty, the NFL could discipline him with a season-starting suspension for a second consecutive season.

Marshall had not had a one-on-one discussion with head coach Josh McDaniels until Monday. Marshall said, "My agent (Kennard McGuire) has been talking to McDaniels."

The Broncos veteran players will report Thursday and the team will have its first full workout Friday morning.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12923116?source=rss

Slick
07-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Go away for a month or two and come back to this bitch still whining. Some things never change.

honz
07-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Marshall needs to quit bitching. The Broncos hold the cards...he'll get his money if he shows he can stay out of trouble and keep performing at t high level.

SR
07-27-2009, 07:08 PM
Exactly. He's ignorant to think he has any leverage with the team at all right now. Shut your ******* mouth and play football.

BroncoJoe
07-27-2009, 07:09 PM
I would have been pissed if he held out. Since he's shown up, I say give him a new contract. Incentive laden, but a new contract.

EMB6903
07-27-2009, 07:15 PM
I would have been pissed if he held out. Since he's shown up, I say give him a new contract. Incentive laden, but a new contract.

They will see how this latest court date plays out and how he produces during the year... Im sure if he keeps his mouth shut and is able to play majority of the year he will get rewarded with a contract he deserves and we can all move on from there... Until then they just need to keep his bi-polar ass away from the media

honz
07-27-2009, 07:33 PM

That's fine with me as well. May be the only way to keep both sides relatively happy...

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2009, 07:36 PM
You can listen to Brandon talking to the press today:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

nevcraw
07-27-2009, 07:39 PM
I bet if he wins his court case, Pat gives him a new contract. If he has to go the whole season with his current contract he will be a malcontent..
I also wonder how much his fiance's desires for where they live is playing a role in this soap opera...

UnderArmour
07-27-2009, 07:42 PM
Amazing. The scouts were dead on when they called him Baby T.O.

roomemp
07-27-2009, 07:56 PM
You can listen to Brandon talking to the press today:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/

I listened to about a minute of him then had to turn it off. Amazing......I do feel sorry for the guy though. Just imagine....Single....no kids.....Living in a recession....making 2+ mil..........Gotta be hard on the guy. :tsk:

Denver Native (Carol)
07-27-2009, 08:03 PM
I listened to about a minute of him then had to turn it off. Amazing......I do feel sorry for the guy though. Just imagine....Single....no kids.....Living in a recession....making 2+ mil..........Gotta be hard on the guy. :tsk:

You forgot one thing - paying his lawyer(s) BIG bucks everytime he gets in trouble - guess Brandon is the only one who could fix that - STAY OUT OF TROUBLE :tsk:

BroncoWave
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Amazing. The scouts were dead on when they called him Baby T.O.

You got that right. The only thing he hasn't done is throw his QB's under the bus so as long as he stays away from that I think we'll be able to live with him and his shenanigans.

Nomad
07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
Exactly. He's ignorant to think he has any leverage with the team at all right now. Shut your ******* mouth and play football.

I agree! I say the same for Moreno and Ayers too. Show up to camp fellas...your money will come!!!

Overtime
07-27-2009, 08:15 PM
well I don't think they should give him the money right now with a new contract, but they should throw in some incentives to let him have the opportunity to make some more money this season.

ie...if you go out there, and play hard, put up good numbers, and stay out of trouble off the field, we'll give you bonuses, under categories x, y, z on top of your base salary this season...and if at season's end you've done all that, we'll sit down a negotiate a long term deal for you.

I think that would be fair, and it would motivate Brandon to go out and play hard, and it would allow the Broncos to retain Marshall.

roomemp
07-27-2009, 08:20 PM
well I don't think they should give him the money right now with a new contract, but they should throw in some incentives to let him have the opportunity to make some more money this season.

ie...if you go out there, and play hard, put up good numbers, and stay out of trouble off the field, we'll give you bonuses, under categories x, y, z on top of your base salary this season...and if at season's end you've done all that, we'll sit down a negotiate a long term deal for you.

I think that would be fair, and it would motivate Brandon to go out and play hard, and it would allow the Broncos to retain Marshall.

Good points. It all comes down to Marshall shutting up and just playing ball and keeping out of trouble.......

spikerman
07-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I was on the fence about this until reading his comments today, but I'm on the "Trade Brandon Marshall" bandwagon now. Personally, I don't see the Broncos going very far this year. Might as well trade him and load up on picks as it is. If this is the beginning of a rebuilding project the team should go all the way.

Italianmobstr7
07-27-2009, 09:02 PM
I was on the fence about this until reading his comments today, but I'm on the "Trade Brandon Marshall" bandwagon now. Personally, I don't see the Broncos going very far this year. Might as well trade him and load up on picks as it is. If this is the beginning of a rebuilding project the team should go all the way.

It doesn't make sense to me that you'd feel like that because of this last interview... The guy said he wants to be "happy." Not that he wants to be traded. I'll bet Marshall will be thrilled to be a Bronco as long as he gets a new contract (which he deserves btw). I think that if the court case ends up with him not being guilty and not getting a suspension that he'll be a Bronco for 2009 and beyond. I'm glad to see him in orange and blue and I hope it stays this way.

spikerman
07-27-2009, 09:07 PM
It doesn't make sense to me that you'd feel like that because of this last interview... The guy said he wants to be "happy." Not that he wants to be traded. I'll bet Marshall will be thrilled to be a Bronco as long as he gets a new contract (which he deserves btw). I think that if the court case ends up with him not being guilty and not getting a suspension that he'll be a Bronco for 2009 and beyond. I'm glad to see him in orange and blue and I hope it stays this way.
My feelings aren't based solely on that interview. His attitude has sucked for most of the offseason and after reading his comments today he obviously hasn't changed his mind about not wanting to be in Denver. I would like to see the Broncos grant him his wish and continue to build for the future.

Lonestar
07-27-2009, 09:08 PM
They will see how this latest court date plays out and how he produces during the year... Im sure if he keeps his mouth shut and is able to play majority of the year he will get rewarded with a contract he deserves and we can all move on from there... Until then they just need to keep his bi-polar ass away from the media

if Y'all have not noticed BM is TO.. put a camera in front of him and he has diaria of the lips..

Lonestar
07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
if this moron can't live on 2.2 Mil this year, keep his mouth shut and nose clean till mid year or later then I do not want the moron on our team..

Italianmobstr7
07-27-2009, 09:22 PM
My feelings aren't based solely on that interview. His attitude has sucked for most of the offseason and after reading his comments today he obviously hasn't changed his mind about not wanting to be in Denver. I would like to see the Broncos grant him his wish and continue to build for the future.

For our sake, we should hope that Brandon Marshall IS part of our future. Don't let his little rant for money make you forget how GOOD of a player he is. The dude has been in the league for 3 years and has put up top 5 numbers in catches in yards for the last 2...

if this moron can't live on 2.2 Mil this year, keep his mouth shut and nose clean till mid year or later then I do not want the moron on our team..

I don't think that he "can't live" on 2.2 mill. He clearly doesn't want to. He's performed like one of the best WR's in the NFL. He wants to be paid like it. Our training staff misdiagnosed his injury and could have cost him his career! He played through pain all season long and still dominated. Yes, he's had off field issues, but he still deserves a new contract. It's not like he's asking for a new contract earlier than he should. This is when we usually re-do contracts, in their last year. I don't know what you guys all want... He's in TC and he's a Denver Bronco. If they ask him a question, at least he's being honest instead of BSing us all...

spikerman
07-27-2009, 09:32 PM
For our sake, we should hope that Brandon Marshall IS part of our future. Don't let his little rant for money make you forget how GOOD of a player he is. The dude has been in the league for 3 years and has put up top 5 numbers in catches in yards for the last 2...

I don't think that he "can't live" on 2.2 mill. He clearly doesn't want to. He's performed like one of the best WR's in the NFL. He wants to be paid like it. Our training staff misdiagnosed his injury and could have cost him his career! He played through pain all season long and still dominated. Yes, he's had off field issues, but he still deserves a new contract. It's not like he's asking for a new contract earlier than he should. This is when we usually re-do contracts, in their last year. I don't know what you guys all want... He's in TC and he's a Denver Bronco. If they ask him a question, at least he's being honest instead of BSing us all...
I don't doubt his talent. I was reading a magazine recently (I think it was ESPN the mag) and they were talking about Marshall. The writer's point, and I admit I hadn't thought of this before, was that Marshall is basically a possession receiver and typically possession receivers are not paid like the burners. I don't remember the numbers off the top of my head, but he posted Marshall's stats and while he had a lot of catches he didn't have many TDs. There could be a lot of reasons for that, but if I buy into the argument that he is simply a good possession receiver, I would limit the amount I would pay him too (if it was up to me). Look, he signed a contract and he's proven himself unreliable to the team because he can't stay out of trouble off the field. I don't think that it's too much to ask that he honor his contract and show that the team will be able to count on him. If that's too much to ask he should be shown the door, which is what he wants anyway.

Lonestar
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
After watching the short video I not all that sure he doe not want to be here.. and not sure he is just a merc..

but I did feel if he did not get a contract he is going to be less than thrilled about it..

Lonestar
07-27-2009, 09:58 PM

you do not know this for a fact.. nor do I know it is a contract talking point..

perhaps it is some where in between but was it mike that told him to play or force the Dr's to tell him he was fine..

and know one knows for sure how serious the hip thing was.. it did not stop him from playing in the Pro bowl..

personally I think it was about 90% bovine excrement made up for contract talking points..

no one heard a peep about this till he came back from the pro bowl with visions of sugar plums dancing in his head.. just like a$$$hley and poorti$$$ did..

Lonestar
07-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Good points. It all comes down to Marshall shutting up and just playing ball and keeping out of trouble.......

pretty simple but it is over his IQ?

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
07-27-2009, 10:02 PM
After watching the short video I not all that sure he doe not want to be here.. and not sure he is just a merc..

but I did feel if he did not get a contract he is going to be less than thrilled about it..

I kind of hope someone sits him down and says something along the lines of kick ass and we'll give you a contract on this date or something, maybe not that specific or anything, but just makes him prove himself.

WARHORSE
07-27-2009, 10:22 PM
Hes here.

Lets stop the drama dragging and see what happens.

Northman
07-27-2009, 10:31 PM

If he buys into it which i doubt. He knows whats on the line so i highly doubt he will want to wait after his court date.

horsepig
07-27-2009, 10:40 PM
I really like this guy's game. However, if he continues to act like a spoiled brat, i.e. T.O., let him do it for the Skins or 'Boys, or whoever wants a poisonous snake on their team.

dogfish
07-27-2009, 11:21 PM
Hes here.

Lets stop the drama dragging and see what happens.

THANK YOU!

best post in the thread by far and away. . . sheesh. . .

after alllll the crying and hand-wringing about him not reporting to camp, he's here. . . shocker! the media sticks a mic in the guy's face, knowing they're probably going to get some sound bytes, and people are bitching up a storm because he didn't get down on his knees and pledge his undying devotion to the orange and blue. . . my god some of you take this stuff seriously! and personally, too. . .

sure, marshall's not the sharpest tool in the shed, we all know that-- but when it comes down to the bottom line, the truth is that MOST professional athletes are putting their wallets ahead of any concepts about loyalty. . . sorry it offends people so much, but that's the way of the world. . . i can't see the sense of getting all pissed off about it, but that's just me. . . then again. . . i value substance over style, and i care a lot more about what guys do on the field than what they say off it, and so far i've been quite happy with what brandon's done on the field, drops aside. . . off the field is obviously a different matter-- but if he can come back healthy, put up a hundred catches for thirteen-hundred yards and blow guys up in the running game, while avoiding the hoosegow, he can wear oakland raiders panties around the house and tell the media he worships al davis for all i care. . . .

*shrugs*

would i prefer that he shut his mouth and not be heard from again until the season's over? yea, that would be ideal, but posturing in the media from a guy that's looking for a new deal is hardly unexpected. . . it's really no big deal. . .

Northman
07-27-2009, 11:43 PM
THANK YOU!

best post in the thread by far and away. . . sheesh. . .

after alllll the crying and hand-wringing about him not reporting to camp, he's here. . . shocker! the media sticks a mic in the guy's face, knowing they're probably going to get some sound bytes, and people are bitching up a storm because he didn't get down on his knees and pledge his undying devotion to the orange and blue. . . my god some of you take this stuff seriously! and personally, too. . .

sure, marshall's not the sharpest tool in the shed, we all know that-- but when it comes down to the bottom line, the truth is that MOST professional athletes are putting their wallets ahead of any concepts about loyalty. . . sorry it offends people so much, but that's the way of the world. . . i can't see the sense of getting all pissed off about it, but that's just me. . . then again. . . i value substance over style, and i care a lot more about what guys do on the field than what they say off it, and so far i've been quite happy with what brandon's done on the field, drops aside. . . off the field is obviously a different matter-- but if he can come back healthy, put up a hundred catches for thirteen-hundred yards and blow guys up in the running game, while avoiding the hoosegow, he can wear oakland raiders panties around the house and tell the media he worships al davis for all i care. . . .

*shrugs*

would i prefer that he shut his mouth and not be heard from again until the season's over? yea, that would be ideal, but posturing in the media from a guy that's looking for a new deal is hardly unexpected. . . it's really no big deal. . .

Damn. I could of sworn this was a Bronco's message board. Where did i take a wrong turn? Pizmo Beach?

dogfish
07-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Damn. I could of sworn this was a Bronco's message board. Where did i take a wrong turn? Pizmo Beach?

good point-- i should be used to the drama and complaining by now. . . .

:D

Northman
07-28-2009, 12:14 AM
good point-- i should be used to the drama and complaining by now. . . .

:D

The way i look at it is if i have to deal with the countless threads about a Qb who hasnt been here in 3 years you can suck it up with a few T.O threads buckaroo. :lol:

sneakers
07-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Join the club Brandon.....I showed up to work too, and I am not happy.

aberdien
07-28-2009, 12:28 AM
I'm actually pretty impressed that he showed up.

Now i'm ready for Nate Swift to show HIM up.

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 04:01 AM
Join the club Brandon.....I showed up to work too, and I am not happy.

are you being 2.2 mil to play a game?

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 04:05 AM
Kiszla:
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/28/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Brandon Marshall caught 104 passes last season. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)Stuck in a dead-end job you keep doing only to pay the bills? Brandon Marshall knows exactly how you feel.

Of course, Marshall's job in Denver will pay him about $2.2 million this year to play football.

It must really, really stink to be Marshall.

No wonder the disgruntled 25-year-old receiver would rather be anywhere except here, stuck at training camp with men obviously beneath his Pro Bowl stature, wearing a Broncos uniform.

"It says Denver Broncos on my chest right now," Marshall said Monday, tugging on the team emblem adorning his T-shirt.

But his heart obviously wasn't in his work.

Marshall admitted the primary reason he showed up was to avoid the fine of $15,888 per day for missing workouts.

"I definitely didn't want to get that fine, so I'm here," he said.

But everything about his body language shouted: Get me outta town.

If getting paid the big NFL bucks is his goal, Marshall has dropped the ball in the clutch.

Come to think of it, isn't that the No. 1 reason Marshall is a true superstar only in his own mind?

Pouting is a weak ploy to negotiate a lucrative contract. As the parent of any petulant child knows, rewarding bad behavior can only encourage more hissy fits.

Does Marshall want to be known as "The Beast" or a brat?

So I asked new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels if it really mattered if Marshall was an unhappy camper, so long as he punched the clock and reported to work.

"Of course," McDaniels replied, "you want every player to want to be here and want to do everything you're asking of them."

Trouble is: There are no popsicle breaks in the NFL.

While Marshall's hip injury is legitimate, hurt feelings don't count for anything. This is an adult league.

McDaniels might appear young enough to produce proof of age when he carries a case of beer to the checkout counter, but he's sure as heck too old to be a babysitter. Or, as Denver's new coach so concisely stated, "I'm not going to sit here

and gauge one guy's feelings over another on a day-to-day basis."
After playing last season through the pain in a hip that required surgery in the spring, Marshall has reason for legitimate trust issues with the Broncos organization. After making 206 receptions in the past two seasons, he can make a strong argument for deserving a raise.

There's no excuse, however, for walking around with an unprofessional attitude. It makes zero business sense, especially considering that Marshall faces an Aug. 13 court date on domestic violence charges. What's more, with unanswered questions when we will see him back on the field for a game, the Broncos would be foolish to trade Marshall now, when his trade value is obviously down.

During economic times when keeping up with the mortgage is a major victory for millions of Americans, B-Marsh seems to be of the opinion that football owes him happiness.

"I have faith in conversations that I've had with ownership and my agent, and I'm just going to put my faith and belief in things that I've heard," Marshall said.

People close to Marshall might be advised to stop telling the receiver whatever he wants to hear.

Sure, there should be more Pro Bowl seasons in Marshall's future. In fact, there could be one in Denver this season, if he gave it a chance.

But, at 12.8 yards per catch for his career, Marshall is not a true superstar. He cannot beat a team by himself, the way Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald can.

Nobody of right mind would confuse Marshall with Jerry Rice, or even Randy Moss, for that matter.
Get a big raise?

What Marshall needs far worse is to catch a clue

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12926883?source=rss

sneakers
07-28-2009, 04:21 AM
are you being 2.2 mil to play a game?

No, but I have a plasma tv in my possession that has remained unpunched.

Tned
07-28-2009, 07:14 AM
Kiszla:
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post

Brandon Marshall caught 104 passes last season. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)Stuck in a dead-end job you keep doing only to pay the bills? Brandon Marshall knows exactly how you feel.

Of course, Marshall's job in Denver will pay him about $2.2 million this year to play football.

It must really, really stink to be Marshall.

No wonder the disgruntled 25-year-old receiver would rather be anywhere except here, stuck at training camp with men obviously beneath his Pro Bowl stature, wearing a Broncos uniform.

"It says Denver Broncos on my chest right now," Marshall said Monday, tugging on the team emblem adorning his T-shirt.

But his heart obviously wasn't in his work.

Marshall admitted the primary reason he showed up was to avoid the fine of $15,888 per day for missing workouts.

"I definitely didn't want to get that fine, so I'm here," he said.

But everything about his body language shouted: Get me outta town.

If getting paid the big NFL bucks is his goal, Marshall has dropped the ball in the clutch.

Come to think of it, isn't that the No. 1 reason Marshall is a true superstar only in his own mind?

Pouting is a weak ploy to negotiate a lucrative contract. As the parent of any petulant child knows, rewarding bad behavior can only encourage more hissy fits.

Does Marshall want to be known as "The Beast" or a brat?

So I asked new Broncos coach Josh McDaniels if it really mattered if Marshall was an unhappy camper, so long as he punched the clock and reported to work.

"Of course," McDaniels replied, "you want every player to want to be here and want to do everything you're asking of them."

Trouble is: There are no popsicle breaks in the NFL.

While Marshall's hip injury is legitimate, hurt feelings don't count for anything. This is an adult league.

McDaniels might appear young enough to produce proof of age when he carries a case of beer to the checkout counter, but he's sure as heck too old to be a babysitter. Or, as Denver's new coach so concisely stated, "I'm not going to sit here

and gauge one guy's feelings over another on a day-to-day basis."
After playing last season through the pain in a hip that required surgery in the spring, Marshall has reason for legitimate trust issues with the Broncos organization. After making 206 receptions in the past two seasons, he can make a strong argument for deserving a raise.

There's no excuse, however, for walking around with an unprofessional attitude. It makes zero business sense, especially considering that Marshall faces an Aug. 13 court date on domestic violence charges. What's more, with unanswered questions when we will see him back on the field for a game, the Broncos would be foolish to trade Marshall now, when his trade value is obviously down.

During economic times when keeping up with the mortgage is a major victory for millions of Americans, B-Marsh seems to be of the opinion that football owes him happiness.

"I have faith in conversations that I've had with ownership and my agent, and I'm just going to put my faith and belief in things that I've heard," Marshall said.

People close to Marshall might be advised to stop telling the receiver whatever he wants to hear.

Sure, there should be more Pro Bowl seasons in Marshall's future. In fact, there could be one in Denver this season, if he gave it a chance.

But, at 12.8 yards per catch for his career, Marshall is not a true superstar. He cannot beat a team by himself, the way Arizona receiver Larry Fitzgerald can.

Nobody of right mind would confuse Marshall with Jerry Rice, or even Randy Moss, for that matter.
Get a big raise?

What Marshall needs far worse is to catch a clue

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12926883?source=rss

And for the "other side of the story" he is one of the few guys to ever have back to back 100 catch seasons, and he and Glen Martinez were the lowest paid receivers on the team and there was something like 70 receivers in the league who made more than him last year (how many of them had 100 catches in either of the last two years, forget both).

I'm not endorsing a holdout, I think he should bust his butt this year to force the Broncos give him a big contract mid season or in the off season, but the ripping on Marshall that so many are doing is crazy. The guy has a right to be upset about not being given a big extension for his on field performance, and the Broncos are right to be cautious because of his off field problems, but lets not forget how many back to back 100 catch receivers Denver has had to date.

Let's try and remember the last time that the Broncos had a receiver that commanded double or even triple teams.

BroncosRockdaRockies
07-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Well I won't be buying a Marshall Jersey for sure. He spent how much time last year talking about how he loves helping the kids with that Preacher Dude, and now he acts like this? Oh yeah Great Role Model!!!!! Ship him off it is going to be a problem everytime he is up for a new contract.

God I hate him now!

underrated29
07-28-2009, 10:27 AM
I agree! I say the same for Moreno and Ayers too. Show up to camp fellas...your money will come!!!

Moreno and Ayers cant show up to camp until they are under contract. The league rules of the NFL prohibits that. Its not them, its the team not getting a contract worked out.

Dean
07-28-2009, 10:41 AM

Not if they sustain a serious injury while without a contract.

LRtagger
07-28-2009, 10:46 AM
And for the "other side of the story" he is one of the few guys to ever have back to back 100 catch seasons, and he and Glen Martinez were the lowest paid receivers on the team and there was something like 70 receivers in the league who made more than him last year (how many of them had 100 catches in either of the last two years, forget both).

Right, but how many of those 70 played through their rookie contracts making less than everyone else and then got their big payday when their contract was up? How many of that 70 held out for more money? How many of that 70 have had legal issues?

underrated29
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM

I hope that you are right amigo.

I kind of hope someone sits him down and says something along the lines of kick ass and we'll give you a contract on this date or something, maybe not that specific or anything, but just makes him prove himself.

pat already has- he told him if he stayed, played and did well he will have a big contract right here next year waiting for him

The way i look at it is if i have to deal with the countless threads about a Qb who hasnt been here in 3 years you can suck it up with a few T.O threads buckaroo. :lol:

I dont know why but this made me LOL like **EDIT**.

BroncoWave
07-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Not if they sustain a serious injury while without a contract.

I've never understood why rookies without a contract still aren't allowed to show up to camp but just not practice. I think that is pretty stupid myself.

Lonestar
07-28-2009, 04:15 PM
But wide receiver seems intent on leaving Denver
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Updated: 07/28/2009 01:52:21 PM MDT

Less than two hours before star Broncos receiver Brandon Marshall took part in his first official practice since last season, his agent, Kennard McGuire, was standing outside the front doors of the team's head-quarters talking to general manager Brian Xanders.

McGuire had been at Broncos headquarters since 8 a.m. Monday when his client dutifully, if reluctantly, showed up to take his physical exam and grueling conditioning test, which Marshall passed despite offseason hip surgery.

Marshall arrived here seemingly to tell the Broncos he wants out. He said this through his slack body language. He said this by what he wouldn't say. He said this through the thinly disguised words he chose.

"I have faith in the conversations I've had with ownership and my agent and I'm going to put my faith and belief in everything that I've heard," Marshall said.
He was referring to his private meeting June 12 with Broncos owner Pat Bowlen. Marshall has said he asked for a trade then, and that Bowlen said he would try to accommodate his wishes. Bowlen has not commented on his meeting with Marshall and was not at the team's headquarters Monday.

McGuire talked briefly with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels on Monday morning, and for a good 10 minutes with Xanders outside the team's facility Monday afternoon before the latter conversation moved inside.

The Broncos are respectfully listening to Marshall and his agent, but there are no indications they will act upon his request to be traded.

Perhaps once Marshall, who is normally an engaging and friendly sort, gets around his teammates — healthy veterans don't have to report until Thursday — and personally experiences the production a receiver can generate from McDaniels' offensive system, he will want to play for the Broncos again.

"I'm not going to comment on his state of mind," McDaniels said. "You know, he's out there, he went through every drill today. Everything we asked him to do he did, and he'll be effective at doing them when we do them full speed."

For now, Marshall wants to be included in all that has changed with his team. His Broncos reached the bottom of a historic fall last season when they lost to San Diego 52-21 in the season finale. Two days later, Mike Shanahan was fired as head coach and three months later quarterback Jay Cutler, who joined Marshall in the Pro Bowl, was traded.

Marshall became disenchanted with the Broncos for their medical treatment after he discovered the injured hip he played through while catching 104 passes last season required surgery on March 31. He also is upset with his contract. He was paid a combined $1.5 million in his first three seasons and is scheduled to make $2.198 million in this, the final year of his deal.
"What's my market value?" he said. "Hundred-something catches two years in a row, I don't know what my market value is."

Marshall bolted from the team's offseason rehabilitation program in late May and skipped the team's mandatory minicamp in mid-June. Marshall, though, understood he could not hold out for long.

Staying away past Aug. 11 would have cost him his fourth credited season in the NFL, a move that would have put him a year further away from un-restricted free agency. Then there's the $15,888 daily fine for skipping out on training camp.

Those factors left Marshall little choice but to follow orders and show up Monday.

"I mean, it's got to stop eventually and I definitely didn't want to get that fine, so I'm here," he said.

After the walk-through practice in which Marshall joined rookies under contract, quarterbacks and veterans recovering from injury, he approached the podium in the Broncos' media room.

Though speaking softer than usual, Marshall made it loud and clear he would prefer to be standing somewhere else.

"You know, it's my obligation to be here and I'm here," Marshall said with no trace of enthusiasm.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12926881?source=rss