PDA

View Full Version : Expectations high for Manning, Broncos

Northman
08-07-2012, 05:24 AM
Didnt see this posted anywhere, if so the mods can merge it. Thought it had some interesting tidbits.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/46050/camp-confidential-denver-bronco (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/46050/camp-confidential-denver-bronco)

Everything has changed for the Broncos.

With one phone call from Manning to Denver leader John Elway in March, the landscape of the organization changed. The Broncos are no longer a league curiosity caused by Tim Tebow (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13200/tim-tebow)-mania. They are now relevant because Manning, who missed last season with a neck injury, is the story in the NFL.

The Broncos, though, aren’t consumed by being a popular story. They are focused on the impact Manning, at age 36, will have on the team. In public and in private, the Broncos are not worried about Manning’s health. They are simply in awe that he is on their side.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

The Broncos have a terrific head coach in Fox, whose presence and impact should not be discounted. He is an upper-echelon coach who has a firm grip on this program. His players love him and the overall spirit of the franchise is probably as high as it has been since the back-to-back Super Bowl-winning years in the late 1990s. Fox did a wonderful job last season turning a 4-12 weakling into an 8-8 team that won a playoff game. In Fox’s second season in Carolina, he led the team to the Super Bowl. Will it happen again in Denver? We’ll see, but his players fully believe in him, and that’s a huge head start.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

We do not yet know if the Broncos are loaded enough with talent to make a long playoff run. There are a lot of questions.

Will the team be able to run the ball enough to help Manning now that the Broncos aren’t using the Tebow-led option? Are the youngsters on the offensive line ready to protect Manning? Will they be good enough at defensive tackle and safety?

This team is far from a finished product and it faces a brutal schedule. Still, expectations are high because of Manning. But the truth is, Denver must build itself around Manning very quickly -- the chief challenge of training camp.

OBSERVATION DECK:

Players rave about Del Rio. They love his toughness and the fact he is a former NFL player. Many players said Del Rio understands what they are going through and they feel they are on the same page with him already. The word around Denver’s camp is that the Fox-Del Rio relationship has taken up where it left off in Carolina.

The Broncos are high on undrafted rookie linebacker Steven Johnson. The Kansas product could get some looks at middle linebacker in the preseason.

The Broncos would like to see middle linebacker Joe Mays (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11434/joe-mays) shore up his tackling in camp. He is a solid player, but he whiffed too many times last season.

Defensive lineman Ben Garland (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13802/ben-garland) is making an impression. He is athletic and has great feet and could make the team.

CrazyHorse
08-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Super Bowl or bust!

CoachChaz
08-07-2012, 10:14 AM
Super Bowl or bust!

Next year. Not strong enough just yet

OrangeHoof
08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
As I've said all along, I question the supporting cast. This year will tell us where we are. Next year is when we might have a true Super Bowl run.

CoachChaz
08-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Too many question. WR, OL, NT, S, MLB

Fix/improve those in FA and draft next year and we're in better shape.

Ravage!!!
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
Yeah.. I don't expect a Super Bowl run this season. This is a building block for next. New offense, new players, new defense with new defensive coach. A lot of BIG changes. That's hard to make a run with on the first season. Come next year, I would expect to be built to make a serious run, though.

Chef Zambini
08-07-2012, 11:38 AM
so my concerns about the defense are justified ?

CoachChaz
08-07-2012, 11:44 AM
so my concerns about the defense are justified ?

I think our pass ruch and corner play will be good, but the inside against the run is in question...as well as the safeties. Strong outside...not so much inside.

Ravage!!!
08-07-2012, 11:53 AM
I think our pass ruch and corner play will be good, but the inside against the run is in question...as well as the safeties. Strong outside...not so much inside.

Which is how the defense was built in Indy. A QB like Manning puts the pressure on the other team to pass the ball. Our FO was smart in getting the DBs shored up by signing good FAs, along with the draft, to prepare for this. Miller and Dumerville are our version of Mathis and Freeney.

Chef Zambini
08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
...and how many SBs did PM play in over 14 years?
run the ball, stop the run. we cant do that, we wont sniff any SBs in the PM 3-5 year window !

Ziggy
08-07-2012, 11:57 AM
Which is how the defense was built in Indy. A QB like Manning puts the pressure on the other team to pass the ball. Our FO was smart in getting the DBs shored up by signing good FAs, along with the draft, to prepare for this. Miller and Dumerville are our version of Mathis and Freeney.

And who exactly is our version of Bob Sanders?

Ravage!!!
08-07-2012, 11:59 AM
run the ball, stop the run. we cant do that, we wont sniff any SBs in the PM 3-5 year window !

you mean like the Patriots did? How how the Giants did..or the Packers... or Saints.

The two seasons the Colts went to the Super Bowl, Bob Sanders played in a total of 6 games. Four in the season they won (1 Int and 2 pass defends), and two in the season they lost (1 int and 1 Pass defended). Just HOW could we possibly replace that?

CoachChaz
08-07-2012, 12:10 PM

I dont know if I'd go that far. Adding a few pieces in a year or two is much more doable than completely transforming a team. We have a good core already

Northman
08-07-2012, 12:31 PM

Guess you wont be watching then. Should be a good 3-5 years of you not being on the forum whining. :laugh:

Chef Zambini
08-07-2012, 12:43 PM
yeh, like that has any element of reality to it.

Chef Zambini
08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
I dont know if I'd go that far. Adding a few pieces in a year or two is much more doable than completely transforming a team. We have a good core already
core / schmore, if we dont practice the run, O and D we wont be doing much come play-off time.
one demensional is a death knoll for any offense or defense, the broncos are no exception.

Chef Zambini
08-07-2012, 12:52 PM
reghular season
reality check.
wake-up call.
zambini, soothsayer, ignored and resented.
new hire LB and safety, foreshadowing.

CoachChaz
08-07-2012, 01:26 PM
core / schmore, if we dont practice the run, O and D we wont be doing much come play-off time.
one demensional is a death knoll for any offense or defense, the broncos are no exception.

I already concurred that we arent ready this year. But focusing on improving in those areas next year will make a world of difference and will be easier since we already have talent in other areas and wont take 3-5 years.

Try a little harder to follow along.

Mannway187
08-07-2012, 06:17 PM
death knoll

What is that? I've heard of many different types of death, except for that one.

Jsteve01
08-07-2012, 06:30 PM
uh zam's referring to himself in the third person again. Zam have you taken your meds this week?

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 06:30 PM

The core of ANY team, and this is confirmed by ALL general managers, is QB, Rush End, CB, LT. All four of those pieces are in place. I know you refuse to recognize this reality, but it's true.

It's also dumb to suggest the team isn't practicing the run, or that they won't run. That defies the complete coaching philosophy that John Fox has.

Elevation inc
08-08-2012, 09:26 PM

Rafeal Bush...... FTW....!!!!!

LOL

Elevation inc
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM

smores???? where

those are delicious.....oh wait......