PR

Eric Decker

Syd'Quan Thompson

KR

Lance Ball

Matthew Willis

DenBronx
08-06-2012, 12:23 PM
One thing to note is Robert Ayers spot is officially taken by Jason Hunter at LDE.

Moore and Carter listed as first safeties. Interesting.

getlynched47
08-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I'm prepared to defend Lance Ball. Bring it on, haters :fight:

He's a classic "hard hat & lunch pail" worker. He EARNED the #2 runningback spot by being dependable. Sure, he's not flashy. But Lance Ball is a very well-rounded back (running, receiving, blocking). I'm happy for him.

Buff
08-06-2012, 12:36 PM
Moreno appears one step closer to the door. If the Pats can get a 4th rounder for Larry Maroney, surely we can get a 7th for Moreno, right?

Northman
08-06-2012, 12:46 PM

He's a classic "hard hat & lunch pail" worker. He EARNED the #2 runningback spot by being dependable. Sure, he's not flashy. But Lance Ball is a very well-rounded back (running, receiving, blocking). I'm happy for him.

Ive never had any gripes about him so i hope he does well.

It also looks like we will get to see Irving playing a bit this year.

Northman
08-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Moreno appears one step closer to the door. If the Pats can get a 4th rounder for Larry Maroney, surely we can get a 7th for Moreno, right?

Maybe we can rape Danny Boy in DC some more. Maybe steal a 3rd. lmao

DenBronx
08-06-2012, 12:49 PM

Well rounded how? You mean when we need 6 yards he only gets us 3?

Moreno has double the talent that Ball has as a RB and also is a threat as a WR out of the backfield. Morenos trouble has been injuries but Balls trouble is he doesnt produce.

DenBronx
08-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Maybe we can rape Danny Boy in DC some more. Maybe steal a 3rd. lmao

I would take that deal in a heartbeat.

But I doubt the Broncos trade him because he's playing for only 850k this year. Kinda worth keeping him another year....and now he's in a Manning offense. I suspect Moreno will steal the #2 spot by the 4th game of preseason.

shank
08-06-2012, 12:53 PM
carter over adams is biggest surprise i see. ball sucks.

silkamilkamonico
Lance Balls is f'n terrible.

I'm thinking our RB situation is much worse off than I thought it was if he is the #2. He has done absolutely nothing in his NFL career to even warrant a roster spot, IMHO.

Hoping Hillman can beat him out eventually as it looks like Moreno has just completely fallen out of favor.

DenBronx
And Hanie is just awful. Why he is the 2nd QB is beyond me. He was a disaster in Chicago and all I've heard is he has done poorly in camp. I know Fox likes veteran QBs but Hanie just seems like camp fodder to me.

vandammage13
08-06-2012, 12:55 PM
No co #2 QB's this year?

DenBronx
08-06-2012, 12:55 PM

I'm thinking our RB situation is much worse off than I thought it was if he is the #2. He has done absolutely nothing in his NFL career to even warrant a roster spot, IMHO.

Hoping Hillman can beat him out eventually as it looks like Moreno has just completely fallen out of favor.

Yeah after looking at the depth behind McGahee it looks scary. That's why I think getting Cedric Benson would make alot of sense. Can't wait to see what Hillman does in preseason..

DenBronx
08-06-2012, 12:56 PM
No co #2 QB's this year?

No, the circus is in NY now.

Northman
08-06-2012, 12:57 PM

Moreno has double the talent that Ball has as a RB and also is a threat as a WR out of the backfield. Morenos trouble has been injuries but Balls trouble is he doesnt produce.

Meh, its basically a wash in terms of rushing. The fact that Kno-show couldnt beat him on the roster spot speaks volumes to me as Buff eluded too. Im sure Moreno will be a 3rd down kind of guy who will catch passes but he is far from the type of player he was supposed to be when drafted.

silkamilkamonico
08-06-2012, 01:00 PM

Lance Ball is the worst kind of RB. If the line opens up the possibility for 3 yards, that's what he gets. He is not explosive, he doesn't break tackles, he doesn't have good vision or wiggle, he's the absolute epitome of "average", and if Denver wants to go with him as their #2, they don't have any intentions IMHO of upgrading a very average backfield.

Sad. Get manning some weapons already. If Hillman doesn't pass Ball on the depth chart, it is a wasted pick, IMHO. But I think he will before week 1.

DenBronx
08-06-2012, 01:02 PM
Meh, its basically a wash in terms of rushing. The fact that Kno-show couldnt beat him on the roster spot speaks volumes to me as Buff eluded too. Im sure Moreno will be a 3rd down kind of guy who will catch passes but he is far from the type of player he was supposed to be when drafted.

Yeah I get that part. But we have seen Moreno rip off big runs before. He's not great between the tackles but does great on the outside. With a real threat in our passing game now the middle is going to be vulnerable now and our running game shouldnt miss a beat this year. I know with Tebow we had the #1 rushing offense but I think we will still do great rushing the ball this year....mainly because of Willis though.

underrated29
08-06-2012, 01:07 PM

North- how can it speak volumes? This is the pre-season depth chart. Things are all out of whack.

Look at mike adams the saftey, he has been the starter the Entire time through camp, yet he is listed 2nd behind a guy who just had knee surgery a few days ago. Does that speak volumes about Mike Adams?

Or haine, who has been outplayed by brock the entire time? Or DJ Williams who is suspsended for the first 6 games?

Northman
08-06-2012, 01:09 PM
Yeah I get that part. But we have seen Moreno rip off big runs before. He's not great between the tackles but does great on the outside. With a real threat in our passing game now the middle is going to be vulnerable now and our running game shouldnt miss a beat this year. I know with Tebow we had the #1 rushing offense but I think we will still do great rushing the ball this year....mainly because of Willis though.

Absolutely.

I dont think some people give McGahee enough credit for what he did last year. But it think that both Ball and Moreno will serve a purpose but neither are going to light it up. Hopefully Hillman shows something at some point.

Timmy!
08-06-2012, 01:12 PM
Meh. The depth chart before even 1 preseason game doesnt mean a whole lot.

Northman
08-06-2012, 01:13 PM
North- how can it speak volumes? This is the pre-season depth chart. Things are all out of whack.

Look at mike adams the saftey, he has been the starter the Entire time through camp, yet he is listed 2nd behind a guy who just had knee surgery a few days ago. Does that speak volumes about Mike Adams?

Or haine, who has been outplayed by brock the entire time? Or DJ Williams who is suspsended for the first 6 games?

Based on history. I know he is your boy and all but the guy simply hasnt lived up to his billing for me. At this stage he should of been a bigger part of this team than he is. I mean shit, if a guy like Terrell Davis can get drafted in the 6th round and get the starting spot and (most importantly) keep it dont you think that says a bit about a guy like Moreno? I mean ****, how long are we supposed to wait?

rationalfan
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
first: this is the first depth chart of the season, i give it as much relevance as I do a weather report for ten days from now.

second: it's easy to beat up on knowshon. but keep this in mind; his first two years were spent with a coach who, apparently, hated running the football - at least, in a way that allowed the line and backs to get in a groove. last year, knowshon got hurt just when he started rolling. still, he could be better. we can all agree on that.

Chef Zambini
08-06-2012, 01:16 PM
is ball a good blocker/ can he pick up the blitz/
these are the vital questions in determinin g who is the real #2 on the depth chart. We all know the chart at this time is 50 % reality and 50 % motivation / inspiration.
lets see how they play on sunday.

Chef Zambini
08-06-2012, 01:17 PM
first: this is the first depth chart of the season, i give it as much relevance as I do a weather report for ten days from now.

second: it's easy to beat up on knowshon. but keep this in mind; his first two years were spent with a coach who, apparently, hated running the football - at least, in a way that allowed the line and backs to get in a groove. last year, knowshon got hurt just when he started rolling. still, he could be better. we can all agree on that.

you just beat me to the post !

TXBRONC
08-06-2012, 01:23 PM
One thing to note is Robert Ayers spot is officially taken by Jason Hunter at LDE.

Moore and Carter listed as first safeties. Interesting.

In fairness it's the first depth chart coming out of camp and we've where the guy whose suppose to be the starter actually second but then ends up with job by the start of season.

That said, if Mike Adams doesn't win job that Denver wont be out of a huge chunk of change relatively speaking.

Dzone
08-06-2012, 01:53 PM
How much does a long snapper make? Lonnie Paxton has the easiest job on the team.
Of course, if he screws up, it could cost the team a victory

TXBRONC
08-06-2012, 01:55 PM

Ball is servicable. He's not a guy that you have as your lead back but as a number two back he would be fine.

There is also plenty of time for Hillman to move past Ball before the start of season.

Chef Zambini
08-06-2012, 01:58 PM
I would hope the way we targeted hillman can bejustified by his contributions on the field, i would be dissapointed if he could not out=perform all but willis on the depth chart.
blocking and bliotz pick-up, those are the areas where he needs to demonstarte competency !

Chef Zambini
08-06-2012, 02:02 PM
How much does a long snapper make? Lonnie Paxton has the easiest job on the team.
Of course, if he screws up, it could cost the team a victorypaxton gets a million dollars a year! he is the highest paid LS in the NFL! jmcd dumped a perfectly good LS who was also a team captain to bring in his ols pats cronie and make him the highest paid at his position! can you say 'kick-back"
jmcd was idiot scum, paxton was the first of his lame ass moves that diminished this team and crumbled it to its foundation.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2012, 02:13 PM
Lindsay's comments on depth chart

There were few surprises among the starters on the first official depth chart released by the Broncos on Monday morning.

But with the second string, where players are fighting not just for playing time but for roster spots, things are plenty interesting.

Take the backup quarterback battle, for instance, where coach John Fox has insisted that behind starter Peyton Manning, he has three quarterbacks he considers to be "2A, B, and C." Fox likely won't change that refrain in interviews; nevertheless, the depth chart lists Caleb Hanie as No. 2, rookie Brock Osweiler at No. 3 and second-year player Adam Weber at No. 4.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21247288/broncos-caleb-hanie-listed-depth-chart-backup-peyton

Nomad
08-06-2012, 02:19 PM
The coaches have to start somewhere and we'll see Thursday night how this starting lineup does.

getlynched47
08-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Lance Ball does NOT suck! He's consistent, durable, and reliable and those are great qualities for our #2 back. It's not like he's going to be our 3rd down runningback, he'd be a 1st/ 2nd down pounder when McGahee needs a breather.

But Ball can run, catch, and block all at adequate levels to be a good backup option to Willis McGahee. I still expect to see either Knowshon Moreno or Ronnie Hillman as our 3rd down runningback.

Moreno and Ball are vying for different roles, and I don't believe they're in direct competion with each other. Just my opinion.

MOtorboat
08-06-2012, 02:21 PM
Things that stick out to me and my thoughts:
Ball - They won't start the season with him No. 2
Ayers - Not only is he listed as a backup, but behind Dumervil, which is odd, because I don't think he's played RDE at all.
Adams - Maybe the light switch has come on for Moore.
Blake - Listed as third string.
Irving - We already knew he was running behind Miller at SLB, but it still surprises me.
The way they list the wide receivers, with Caldwell and Stokely listed as two and three behind Decker.

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2012, 02:36 PM
paxton gets a million dollars a year! he is the highest paid LS in the NFL! jmcd dumped a perfectly good LS who was also a team captain to bring in his ols pats cronie and make him the highest paid at his position! can you say 'kick-back"
jmcd was idiot scum, paxton was the first of his lame ass moves that diminished this team and crumbled it to its foundation.

According to this, Paxton is not the highest paid LS in the NFL

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/long-snapper/

silkamilkamonico
08-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Lance Ball does NOT suck! He's consistent, durable, and reliable and those are great qualities for our #2 back. It's not like he's going to be our 3rd down runningback, he'd be a 1st/ 2nd down pounder when McGahee needs a breather.

But Ball can run, catch, and block all at adequate levels to be a good backup option to Willis McGahee. I still expect to see either Knowshon Moreno or Ronnie Hillman as our 3rd down runningback.

Moreno and Ball are vying for different roles, and I don't believe they're in direct competion with each other. Just my opinion.

Lance Ball wouldn't even make the roster of over half the teams in the NFL, yet he is currently listed as our backup.

NightTerror218
08-06-2012, 04:18 PM
This is only the training camp depth chart. I doesn't matter much. Lets see how these guys actually in some preseason games. I remember Ball had several drops and hands are not as good as Morenos. Hillman should over take Ball as backup in preseason games. I think Fox is going to take it slow on rookies though. Break them in slowly because we do not have immediate impact player like Von this year.

Shock is the Ayers placement though.

hotcarl
08-06-2012, 07:52 PM
I'm freaking the **** out over this training camp depth chart! Kill elway! Murder lance balls!!

Denver Native (Carol)
08-06-2012, 08:27 PM
BDawk was on with Vic tonight on Xfinity Live, and he said no one should pay much attention to the first depth chart - they just have to start somewhere.

Nomad
08-06-2012, 08:40 PM
This is only the training camp depth chart. I doesn't matter much. Lets see how these guys actually in some preseason games. I remember Ball had several drops and hands are not as good as Morenos. Hillman should over take Ball as backup in preseason games. I think Fox is going to take it slow on rookies though. Break them in slowly because we do not have immediate impact player like Von this year.

Shock is the Ayers placement though.

FYI, NFLN is showing the BRONCOS/Bears game on Thursday night at 8pm AKT.

BroncoWave
08-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Lance Ball is the worst kind of RB. If the line opens up the possibility for 3 yards, that's what he gets. He is not explosive, he doesn't break tackles, he doesn't have good vision or wiggle, he's the absolute epitome of "average", and if Denver wants to go with him as their #2, they don't have any intentions IMHO of upgrading a very average backfield.

Sad. Get manning some weapons already. If Hillman doesn't pass Ball on the depth chart, it is a wasted pick, IMHO. But I think he will before week 1.

Broncos fans never cease to be overdramatic! :lol:

A 3rd round pick is a wasted one if he isn't RB2 by week 1? WOW.

Canmore
08-06-2012, 09:09 PM
FYI, NFLN is showing the BRONCOS/Bears game on Thursday night at 8pm AKT.

9 Pacific time. 10 Mountain and Friday 12 am Eastern.

Simple Jaded
08-06-2012, 10:16 PM
I thought the depth chart was supposed to show depth. This is what two years of replacing perfectly good starters does to your depth.......CJ Davis and Mike Muhammad.......

Mannway187
08-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Every team in the league see's this same depth chart. So if a team had a guy they thought could bring them value in a trade why not list him higher. In this case Ball likely won't be here on week 1 so dangle him as a #2 and see if anybody bites. Teams aren't looking to make a deal for a #4 or 5 RB.

Someone will be looking for a #2 RB and we just happen to have one for them.

Everyone knows that Moreno is too fragile and that Hillman isn't available but either one could be our #2 RB on week 1.

First depth charts might not mean shit to most, but to smart teams they're like salty nuts in a bar. Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance and if you want thirsty customers you give them salty nuts. Lance Ball is our salty nuts!!!

Robert Ayers has now been listed as Dooms backup, so the word is out that he is going to be available for the right price. More salty nuts?

turftoad
08-06-2012, 10:40 PM
This is the first depth chart. IMO, it's used to motivate more than anything else. The rest is speculation. I'll pay more attention the closer the season gets.

BroncoWave
08-06-2012, 10:43 PM
For comparisons sake, in last season's first depth chart, Moreno was listed at RB1, Russ Hochstein at RG1, Kuper at RG3, Royal as WR1, Thomas as WR5, and Carter as SS3. Just goes to prove that the first depth chart means nothing.

This is the thread I cited with last year's depth chart:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/270460-Depth-Chart?highlight=depth+chart

underrated29
08-06-2012, 11:22 PM
Every team in the league see's this same depth chart. So if a team had a guy they thought could bring them value in a trade why not list him higher. In this case Ball likely won't be here on week 1 so dangle him as a #2 and see if anybody bites. Teams aren't looking to make a deal for a #4 or 5 RB.

Someone will be looking for a #2 RB and we just happen to have one for them.

Everyone knows that Moreno is too fragile and that Hillman isn't available but either one could be our #2 RB on week 1.

First depth charts might not mean shit to most, but to smart teams they're like salty nuts in a bar. Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance and if you want thirsty customers you give them salty nuts. Lance Ball is our salty nuts!!!

Robert Ayers has now been listed as Dooms backup, so the word is out that he is going to be available for the right price. More salty nuts?

Ball is not up for trade. He is starting for us on special teams as a blocker. I guarantee Ball is not going anywhere. The FO loves him.

TXBRONC
08-06-2012, 11:57 PM
This is the first depth chart. IMO, it's used to motivate more than anything else. The rest is speculation. I'll pay more attention the closer the season gets.

I think that is true for some positions like whose going to be the back up quarterback and pecking order after McGahee.

Az Snake
08-07-2012, 12:21 AM
The coaches have to start somewhere and we'll see Thursday night how this starting lineup does.
Nomad, Thursday night can't come fast enough !
Just reading through that depth chart on post #! got me going !
The Broncos have some great talent !
Here's hoping for good health and good decisions !!!
:beer: :beer:

Mannway187
08-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Ball is not up for trade. He is starting for us on special teams as a blocker. I guarantee Ball is not going anywhere. The FO loves him.

This FO loves him because the rest of the league hasn't seen enough of him to recognize that being a special teams blocker is all he will ever be.

Not even Elway himself would guarantee a roster spot to a player of Balls caliber. He would be more inclined to guarantee that if there is a team willing to make a deal for our salty nuts then salty nuts they shall have.

This team is stocked full of potential special teams blockers but we only have a couple more bags of Mcdipshits salty nuts left. Someone is out there right now looking for a bag the only question is do they prefer salted or unsalted?

Tned
08-07-2012, 07:18 AM
This FO loves him because the rest of the league hasn't seen enough of him to recognize that being a special teams blocker is all he will ever be.

Not even Elway himself would guarantee a roster spot to a player of Balls caliber. He would be more inclined to guarantee that if there is a team willing to make a deal for our salty nuts then salty nuts they shall have.

This team is stocked full of potential special teams blockers but we only have a couple more bags of Mcdipshits salty nuts left. Someone is out there right now looking for a bag the only question is do they prefer salted or unsalted?

Actually, they like Ball because he's a good all around back. Not spectacular, but if McGahee goes down, he can handle the carries between the tackles.

Buff
08-07-2012, 08:36 AM
For comparisons sake, in last season's first depth chart, Moreno was listed at RB1, Russ Hochstein at RG1, Kuper at RG3, Royal as WR1, Thomas as WR5, and Carter as SS3. Just goes to prove that the first depth chart means nothing.

This is the thread I cited with last year's depth chart:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/270460-Depth-Chart?highlight=depth+chart

I think the Kuper @ 3rd string ended up being a typo. But I see your point.

Tned
08-07-2012, 08:38 AM
I think the Kuper @ 3rd string ended up being a typo. But I see your point.

Yea, and wasn't DT coming off a torn Achilles?

By and large, this depth chart seems to mirror the news we are getting out of camp. Doesn't mean that it will be what the week 1 depth chart looks like (currently injured/rehabbing players may move up the chart), but I don't think there is any reason to discount it as random or a head fake or something.

TXBRONC
08-07-2012, 09:25 AM
Yea, and wasn't DT coming off a torn Achilles?

By and large, this depth chart seems to mirror the news we are getting out of camp. Doesn't mean that it will be what the week 1 depth chart looks like (currently injured/rehabbing players may move up the chart), but I don't think there is any reason to discount it as random or a head fake or something.

Sometimes the depth chart is used to motivate players. Like Osweiler, from what has been written he has been the best of three quaterbacking competing for the primary back up spot yet on this depth chart he's third.

silkamilkamonico
08-07-2012, 09:30 AM
The depth chart is more for Thursday's game more than anything. Can't wait to see the boys!

Tned
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
The depth chart is more for Thursday's game more than anything. Can't wait to see the boys!

That's what I originally thought, but looking at it, it clearly IS NOT for Thursday's game. Carter is listed as 1st at Safety, with Adams backing him up, but Carter is recovering from surgery. Hence, it clearly isn't just an indication of how they will play on Thursday.

shank
08-07-2012, 11:07 AM
That's what I originally thought, but looking at it, it clearly IS NOT for Thursday's game. Carter is listed as 1st at Safety, with Adams backing him up, but Carter is recovering from surgery. Hence, it clearly isn't just an indication of how they will play on Thursday.
is carter active? if they want him to only see a few reps, it would make sense to have him start, as they will probably only get one series before going to the 2nd string.

Dzone
08-07-2012, 11:18 AM
So Nate Irving has been getting knocked on his butt in practice? sad if true
Trevathan , 6th rounder, is getting a lot of playing time, Irving, 3rd rounder, has disappeared. Oh well. Maybe DTrev will make up for Irving appearing to bomb out.

Chef Zambini
08-07-2012, 11:26 AM
At this point, it should not matter where they were drafted, all that matters is how they perform.

Tned
08-07-2012, 12:20 PM
is carter active? if they want him to only see a few reps, it would make sense to have him start, as they will probably only get one series before going to the 2nd string.

I don't think he's going to be cleared to practice, forget a game, for another week or so.

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 01:24 PM
At this point, it should not matter where they were drafted, all that matters is how they perform.

This. A thousand times this.

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 05:45 PM
I was hoping Perkins would get a legit look, but with Leonhard being brought in, it probably won't happen. Maybe he'll get to the practice squad.

dogfish
08-07-2012, 08:39 PM
hmmm. . . i really hope the motivation angle is what's responsible for ayers' demotion-- i can't stand to watch jason hunter's dead slow ass out there all year, i will lose my shit. . . will be interesting to see if they really plan on giving wolfie boy significant snaps at the seven-technique at close to three bills, and i could live with that if he proves he can hold it down. . . jason hunter starting will seriously make me want to gouge my eyes out, though-- i'm almost positive carson palmer can outrun him. . . :frusty: ayers, get yo shit together! ayers at RDE with wolf at LDE could form the basis of a pretty stout run-stopping sub-package. . . now if we just had some tackles-- i will literally laugh out loud if the one decent pick we've spent on DT in a decade ends up playing mostly end. . . :lol:

bit surprised to see mike adams on the second string-- he looked like a guy who was signed to start. . . NOT that having depth is a bad thing. . . i still won't be sold on rahim moore until i see him do it consistently in games that count, though. . .

i certainly don't think moreno has much more value than ball when you figure durability into the equation-- knowshon certainly didn't look like a more effective between the tackles runner last year, at the very least. . . i think we all agree he has a chance to fit better in this offense-- but john fox isn't tony dungy. . . we're still going to want to be balanced and run the ball-- it's been said multiple times, and given elway's own experience, i'm sure manning was on board with that philosophy when he came here. . . there will undoubtedly be some games where he does fling it forty-plus times, but i doubt even he sees that as an ideal situation at this point. . . knowshon might still find himself largely confined to a third down role in this offense, especially depending on what hillman shows-- remember, he's their hand-picked back, and knowshon isn't. . .

dogfish
08-07-2012, 08:49 PM

This. A thousand times this.

absolutely-- but people aren't wrong to hope our higher draft picks pan out, as they're typically the more physically gifted players. . . i love wes woodyard, but you can't pretend that his ceiling isn't somewhat limited-- and while we won't know for sure about danny T until we see him on the field, the scouting reports and his draft position do suggest that he's a woody clone. . . not a bad guy to have, at all-- you can do better, though. . . i think linebacker is pretty clearly going to be a priority position going forward. . . yes, we have a competent group, and a pair of defensive minds that will absolutely maximize whatever LB talent is there-- i still think they'll ultimately want more of an impact player back there, though. . . obviously, i mean a legit three-down WILL or MIKE, not the hybrid miller who probably plays less than 60% of his snaps there. . . with DJ's stupidity issues and the structure of mays' contract, i think we could very easily be looking for one if not two new starting 'backers in the next year or two. . .

Simple Jaded
08-07-2012, 08:51 PM
If Ayers is that bad they should go after Andre Carter and trade Ayers' ass for a 12- pack and large pizza.......

Canmore
08-07-2012, 09:00 PM
absolutely-- but people aren't wrong to hope our higher draft picks pan out, as they're typically the more physically gifted players. . . i love wes woodyard, but you can't pretend that his ceiling isn't somewhat limited-- and while we won't know for sure about danny T until we see him on the field, the scouting reports and his draft position do suggest that he's a woody clone. . . not a bad guy to have, at all-- you can do better, though. . . i think linebacker is pretty clearly going to be a priority position going forward. . . yes, we have a competent group, and a pair of defensive minds that will absolutely maximize whatever LB talent is there-- i still think they'll ultimately want more of an impact player back there, though. . . obviously, i mean a legit three-down WILL or MIKE, not the hybrid miller who probably plays less than 60% of his snaps there. . . with DJ's stupidity issues and the structure of mays' contract, i think we could very easily be looking for one if not two new starting 'backers in the next year or two. . .

Yes, DJ is a mental midget. He is working on finding a new home. I will miss the athleticism and versatility but not the decision making. Mays' contract is an one year audition. Hopefully he improves. Still, your assessment looks pretty spot on.

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 09:02 PM

I would absolutely agree. My point, however, once we reach camp, is that I want a coach who doesn't give a shit where you were drafted and can look at what he has and make the correct choice. That's the way I think about draft picks, no matter where they are drafted (I think first round picks are absolutely valued too high by fans).

In terms of "the plan" I would absolutely be disappointed if they didn't address middle linebacker in the next offseason.

Going in, what were the needs?
Offense, QB, LG, C, RB, 3rd WR, backup QB, probably in that order.
Defense, DT, S, MLB, 2 CB, probably in that order.

That's a lot of positions to upgrade in one season, while maintaining the level of play at all your other positions. Luckily, Denver didn't have a lot of potential free agents this offseason, so maintaining level of play wasn't too bad, obviously Dawk leaving was a blow.

Solutions:
Offense, sign Manning (a godsend), ship off Tebow and draft Osweiler; draft Hillman; sign Stokely and Caldwell; do nothing to the line except draft a late rounder and resign Harris.

Defense, they fixed MLB by resigning Mays. Not the choice I would have made, but it's the choice that was made. They signed Adams and Porter and drafted Wolfe.

Where are the "holes" going forward past 2012 without even playing a game? I'd still say MLB, possibly WLB, UT, defensively, and offensive line and long term 3rd wide receiver, offensively.

I would absolutely expect the front office to address the positions in the last paragraph next season, assuming we can get Clady resigned and Hillman can potentially replace McGahee as the No. 1. Or, defensively, if Mays takes the next step in pass defense, or Trevathan is an absolute steal.

Simple Jaded
08-07-2012, 09:07 PM
I was hoping Perkins would get a legit look, but with Leonhard being brought in, it probably won't happen. Maybe he'll get to the practice squad.

Does he have any PS eligibility?.......

MOtorboat
08-07-2012, 09:09 PM
Does he have any PS eligibility?.......

Yeah, he's a rookie.

Fullback32
08-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Hmmm....Chris Gronkowski at Fullback. I sure hope he's improved over the past couple of years, especially at picking up blitzing linebackers. I know he was a rookie when he played for the Cowboys, but he was the one who totally missed a block that got Tony Romo creamed by Michael Boley of the Giants resulting a fractured clavicle ending Romo's season. I would hate to see something like that happen to Peyton!

Tned
08-08-2012, 07:59 AM
I threw a question out to Mason who was on Mile High Sports radio last night about Adams running behind Carter and Moore. He said he things that when the season starts that Adams will be the starter, but his reasoning was because Carter missing most of training camp and pre-season will be too much for him to overcome and keep the first team. He did point out that when Carter hurt his leg in the practice bubble, Carter and Moore were running with the first team.

BroncoStud
08-08-2012, 04:22 PM
No co #2 QB's this year?

Bahahahahahahaha

Tned
08-08-2012, 08:41 PM
hmmm. . . i really hope the motivation angle is what's responsible for ayers' demotion-- i can't stand to watch jason hunter's dead slow ass out there all year, i will lose my shit. . . will be interesting to see if they really plan on giving wolfie boy significant snaps at the seven-technique at close to three bills, and i could live with that if he proves he can hold it down. . . jason hunter starting will seriously make me want to gouge my eyes out, though-- i'm almost positive carson palmer can outrun him. . . :frusty: ayers, get yo shit together! ayers at RDE with wolf at LDE could form the basis of a pretty stout run-stopping sub-package. . . now if we just had some tackles-- i will literally laugh out loud if the one decent pick we've spent on DT in a decade ends up playing mostly end. . . :lol:

bit surprised to see mike adams on the second string-- he looked like a guy who was signed to start. . . NOT that having depth is a bad thing. . . i still won't be sold on rahim moore until i see him do it consistently in games that count, though. . .

i certainly don't think moreno has much more value than ball when you figure durability into the equation-- knowshon certainly didn't look like a more effective between the tackles runner last year, at the very least. . . i think we all agree he has a chance to fit better in this offense-- but john fox isn't tony dungy. . . we're still going to want to be balanced and run the ball-- it's been said multiple times, and given elway's own experience, i'm sure manning was on board with that philosophy when he came here. . . there will undoubtedly be some games where he does fling it forty-plus times, but i doubt even he sees that as an ideal situation at this point. . . knowshon might still find himself largely confined to a third down role in this offense, especially depending on what hillman shows-- remember, he's their hand-picked back, and knowshon isn't. . .

The things I'm hearing the beat guys on the radio (Mason, Jones, Lammey) say, I don't think the Ayers demotion is just a motivation thing. Seems like Hunter has been more of a high motor, high energy guy that Del Rio likes.

We'll see. Another thing I hear Mason saying last night is that last year, Ayers had the duel role (as we all know) of being a DE on early/running downs, and moving to DT on passing downs, with Miller moving to DE. He said the way it looks now, we'll have Hunter on the running downs, and when Von moves to DE on the passing downs, Wolfe will come in for the pass rushing DT role.

He was saying while it usually takes a couple years for a rookie to really learn the DT spot, the "easy" part of the position is pass rushing, so putting Wolfe in the DT role that Ayers had last year gets him on the field before he's ready to play DT full time.