PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mohrmann (@DanMohrmann) says the Broncos should cut Ty Warren -- do you agree?

Tned
08-06-2012, 07:10 AM
Ok, the responses to this should be interesting. So, what do you think about Dan's contention that the Broncos best move would be to move on without Warren?

TRIMMING THE ROSTER: TY WARREN

The biggest name on the defensive line has to go
By Dan Mohrmann | @DanMohrmann

At the end of last season, not a single person would make the claim I am about to make: The Broncos are deep at defensive tackle. In fact, the Broncos are so deep at defensive tackle that they can afford to get rid of perhaps their biggest mistake from the 2011 season.

Since joining the Broncos roster, Ty Warren has given nothing to a rejuvenated Broncos team and should be shown the door the second the Broncos are forced to make their first cuts of the preseason.

Prior to the 2011 season, Warren signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Broncos, who were hoping Warren could anchor a weak defensive line. Warren didn’t even make it to week one before landing on injured reserve and forcing the Broncos to rotate what was perceived as a weak group through the position. John Elway and Co. would not make the same mistake...

Read Dan's full "Trimming the Roster" piece at: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=11509

HORSEPOWER 56
08-06-2012, 07:28 AM
Haven't all the reports on Warren been glowing thus far in camp? :confused: Hasn't he pretty much finally started living up to what we hoped he would be? Isn't it a little late to cut him? Didn't we just restructure his contract? Who edits Mohrmann's articles before he posts them?

I know, I know... too many questions.

Tned
08-06-2012, 07:33 AM
Haven't all the reports on Warren been glowing thus far in camp? :confused: Hasn't he pretty much finally started living up to what we hoped he would be? Isn't it a little late to cut him? Didn't we just restructure his contract? Who edits Mohrmann's articles before he posts them?

I know, I know... too many questions.

Answers to your questions:

Yes, yes, ???, yes, unknown.

Personally, I don't see much upside in cutting Warren. About the only upside I see would be getting more playing time for the young guys, or possibly not cutting a guy that you would like to keep. As the Broncos have a 2-3 year window to win with Manning, I think that while the future shouldn't be ignored, or Broncos risk another bad stretch down the road, the focus should be on winning now.

MOtorboat
08-06-2012, 07:36 AM
:confused:

shank
08-06-2012, 07:39 AM
i wish i were on the internet so i could say things.

chazoe60
08-06-2012, 07:39 AM
So does this guy write the same article then just change the name. Last week it was our best move to cut Mays, this week it's Warren. Seems more like pot stirring than actual reporting.

Timmy!
08-06-2012, 07:40 AM
Ok. Its official. This guy is the dumbest Broncos writer EVER.

Tned
08-06-2012, 07:43 AM
So does this guy write the same article then just change the name. Last week it was our best move to cut Mays, this week it's Warren. Seems more like pot stirring than actual reporting.

Well, I think his plan was to trim the roster one spot per week in his entries on the Mile High Sports website. Clearly, he's started with some controversial cut suggestions.

hotcarl
08-06-2012, 07:52 AM
Apparently this douche has too much free time

chazoe60
08-06-2012, 07:53 AM
Apparently this douche has too much free time

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

Slick
08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Shouldn't we see what he does in a few pre season games before we start talking about cutting people?

hotcarl
08-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Don't cut d.j.!! Cut warren and mays! Look at me I'm controversial!!

BroncoNut
08-06-2012, 08:09 AM
Talk about the pot calling the kettle black.

worst post ever

chazoe60
08-06-2012, 09:04 AM
worst post ever

Now it's second.

MOtorboat
08-06-2012, 09:14 AM
His reasons for cutting players (Mays now Warren) are viable before the league year starts, but after the league year starts, you have to evaluate them on preseason.

Odd timing for these opinions to surface, especially considering he's suggesting cutting two starters.

Ziggy
08-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Writers and media types who don't have enough substance to thier articles and shows often say silly controversial things to get thier name out there. I wonder if this is DMac's brother.

rationalfan
08-06-2012, 09:44 AM
this article is a mess (regurgitating tired facts for half the story before finally getting to a bad point); and the worst thing about it is I don't think the writer is trying to be controversial. he's just narrow-minded.

it's a classic example of somebody trading the idea of potential for production.

topscribe
08-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Okay, I get it now: O'l Dan is a Raiders fan . . .

Tned
08-06-2012, 09:54 AM
His reasons for cutting players (Mays now Warren) are viable before the league year starts, but after the league year starts, you have to evaluate them on preseason.

Odd timing for these opinions to surface, especially considering he's suggesting cutting two starters.

Pretty sure his Sunday blog piece on MHS is his "opinion" piece, and he thinks that the Broncos are better served going with younger and/or more versatile guys.

MOtorboat
08-06-2012, 10:04 AM
Pretty sure his Sunday blog piece on MHS is his "opinion" piece, and he thinks that the Broncos are better served going with younger and/or more versatile guys.

I understand its his opinion. It just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to cut them now. If you want to go with younger guys, you don't sign Mays in March and you cut Warren before June 1. Now that we're in training camp, it just doesn't make much sense to cut them now, especially because they are starters and it really doesn't seem they are getting pushed too hard for the spots, either.

Now, I can see cutting Warren to some extent, although it seems he's back to form, in terms of production. But cutting Mays makes zero sense because your best linebacker is going to sit for six games. To be clear, I would have never resigned Mays, and gone after a free agent or drafted a MLB, but since they didn't do either thing, now is not the time to cut him.

Tned
08-06-2012, 10:10 AM
I understand its his opinion. It just wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to cut them now. If you want to go with younger guys, you don't sign Mays in March and you cut Warren before June 1. Now that we're in training camp, it just doesn't make much sense to cut them now, especially because they are starters and it really doesn't seem they are getting pushed too hard for the spots, either.

Now, I can see cutting Warren to some extent, although it seems he's back to form, in terms of production. But cutting Mays makes zero sense because your best linebacker is going to sit for six games. To be clear, I would have never resigned Mays, and gone after a free agent or drafted a MLB, but since they didn't do either thing, now is not the time to cut him.

I pretty much agree on both points.

Mays isn't my favorite at MLB. If there hadn't been the suspension, I would probably be more inclined to move DJ back to MLB and play Woodyard at WLB, even though I think DJ had one of his best years after being moved back to his natural position.

Davii
08-06-2012, 10:23 AM
This guy sucks.

underrated29
08-06-2012, 11:09 AM
You do not trim your roster by cutting away the starters...

G_Money
08-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Bizarre article. I don't disagree with the idea of cutting Warren last year, but it's not last year. Saying that an Air Force grad makes former Pro-Powler Warren expendable is a weird statement. I dunno what Warren has left in the tank, but the camp reports suggest it's a lot more than Mohrmann is giving him credit for.

We run a rotational DL so Warren won't have to play too many snaps. Mohrmann's cool with letting a bunch of rookies play DT while firing one of the only guys who actually knows how to play the position as a pro. As I've said before, DT takes a while to learn at the pro level - years, normally. I would never hand it off to a bunch of early 20s guys. The Texans did that with two high first-round picks and it didn't work out well in the early going. It's too much.

I want a couple of vet DTs, thanks very much. If Warren doesn't work out, then cut him and promote Garland or whomever off the practice squad. As Mo said, now is the wrong time for this idea - same as with Mays.

You can believe the Broncos were wrong about their choice to re-sign Mays and keep Warren, but you don't rectify that mistake by cutting them right now. if it was a series of articles about offseason mistakes, I wouldn't have any issues with it. As blueprint articles on how to get the current team pared down for 2012, they could use some work.

~G

spikerman
08-06-2012, 12:41 PM
That Manning guy is pretty old too. The Broncos should cut him and go with the young guys.

DenBronx
08-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Yeah, not a smart report at all.

Dzone
08-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Could it be because he is from Boston?

hotcarl
08-06-2012, 06:54 PM
unfollow this turd

Simple Jaded
08-07-2012, 01:18 AM
Did he just say "The Broncos are deep at defensive tackle."? Maybe he meant to say they're "in deep".......

Tned
08-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Did he just say "The Broncos are deep at defensive tackle."? Maybe he meant to say they're "in deep".......

I heard one of the radio guys last night talking about the depth chart, and Ayers being listed behind Doom and then going to on to say that training camp has made it appear that the defensive line depth is turning out to be a Broncos strength.

We'll have to wait until the games start to see if it's deep with quality or deep with mediocre players.

Northman
08-07-2012, 07:15 AM
If we have depth at Warren's position than thats a good thing. Doesnt mean you cut him just because you have it.

Northman
08-07-2012, 07:18 AM
I heard one of the radio guys last night talking about the depth chart, and Ayers being listed behind Doom and then going to on to say that training camp has made it appear that the defensive line depth is turning out to be a Broncos strength.

We'll have to wait until the games start to see if it's deep with quality or deep with mediocre players.

Even John Elway said we were better on the DL than people thought. Whether or not thats true i dont know but JE did put it out there a while back.

Tned
08-07-2012, 07:22 AM
If we have depth at Warren's position than thats a good thing. Doesnt mean you cut him just because you have it.

Agreed. I do think we have depth at DT, but based on everything I've read from camp, Warren has been the biggest beast of the DTs in camp.

The Broncos have quietly amassed some biggish bodies at DT, but until we see them in games, we aren't going to know how they are playing in Del Rio's defense.

At the moment, based on what I'm hearing from the beat reporters, I think our D-line will be fine, and very possibly a strength, but I also think Warren is one of the reasons they are saying that.

hotcarl
08-07-2012, 05:57 PM
Agreed. I do think we have depth at DT, but based on everything I've read from camp, Warren has been the biggest beast of the DTs in camp.

The Broncos have quietly amassed some biggish bodies at DT, but until we see them in games, we aren't going to know how they are playing in Del Rio's defense.

At the moment, based on what I'm hearing from the beat reporters, I think our D-line will be fine, and very possibly a strength, but I also think Warren is one of the reasons they are saying that.

just out of curiosity why did you post this thread and promote his tweeter? he seems to be very dumb

Tned
08-07-2012, 06:07 PM
just out of curiosity why did you post this thread and promote his tweeter? he seems to be very dumb

No offense, but I have to say that I laughed out loud reading this coming from you. :laugh:

Beyond that, he's not just a tweeter, but also a producer at Mile High Sports radio and contributor to Mile High Sports magazine.

Beyond, beyond that, because I felt like it...

Sent from my Android Xoom using Forum Runner

Jsteve01
08-07-2012, 06:32 PM
lol Mohrman is right up there with any of the other shock jocks. I have to admit I haven't read anything else that he's written recently as I find It's all over fatman to have better content overall than mile high radio on the print side, but this is just plain silly. Cut Two starters just because they're not all pros? I fail to see the logic in that train of thought. Sheesh this guy and Dmac need to get together and have ugly babies.

TXBRONC
08-07-2012, 11:34 PM
Like others I don't see any upside to cutting him now.

PAINTERDAVE
08-08-2012, 02:22 AM

Especially before the preseason games and the injuries
that always seem to crop up before game 1 of the regular season.

hotcarl
08-08-2012, 09:48 AM
No offense, but I have to say that I laughed out loud reading this coming from you. :laugh:

Beyond that, he's not just a tweeter, but also a producer at Mile High Sports radio and contributor to Mile High Sports magazine.

Beyond, beyond that, because I felt like it...

Sent from my Android Xoom using Forum Runner

this is by far the worst thread i have ever seen imho tia

Chef Zambini
08-08-2012, 02:29 PM
hot carl, game toorrow! are you also mildly amused, as am i?

Davii
08-08-2012, 03:35 PM

Are you two related?

Ravage!!!
08-08-2012, 04:20 PM

is english your first language?

Tned
08-08-2012, 08:35 PM
this is by far the worst thread i have ever seen imho tia

I love it when you make jokes. :laugh:

NightTrainLayne
08-09-2012, 11:36 AM
I love it when you make jokes. :laugh:

If HotCarl is posting, HotCarl is making jokes.

hotcarl
08-09-2012, 01:35 PM
hotcarl is making a sandwich and then he is going to take a duece (much like your posting)

Tned
09-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Ok, the responses to this should be interesting. So, what do you think about Dan's contention that the Broncos best move would be to move on without Warren?

TRIMMING THE ROSTER: TY WARREN

The biggest name on the defensive line has to go
By Dan Mohrmann | @DanMohrmann

At the end of last season, not a single person would make the claim I am about to make: The Broncos are deep at defensive tackle. In fact, the Broncos are so deep at defensive tackle that they can afford to get rid of perhaps their biggest mistake from the 2011 season.

Since joining the Broncos roster, Ty Warren has given nothing to a rejuvenated Broncos team and should be shown the door the second the Broncos are forced to make their first cuts of the preseason.

Prior to the 2011 season, Warren signed a two-year, $8 million contract with the Broncos, who were hoping Warren could anchor a weak defensive line. Warren didn’t even make it to week one before landing on injured reserve and forcing the Broncos to rotate what was perceived as a weak group through the position. John Elway and Co. would not make the same mistake...

Read Dan's full "Trimming the Roster" piece at: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=11509

Well, maybe Dan the Destroyer was on to something.

Ziggy
09-10-2012, 09:49 PM
Well, maybe Dan the Destroyer was on to something.

Throw enough crap against the wall and something's bound to stick. Even so, he was dominating in camp and the preseason.

TXBRONC
09-11-2012, 10:36 AM
Back in August would have disagreed but now that Warren is on IR yet again turn him loose. He's not doing us any good.

LTC Pain
09-11-2012, 12:05 PM
Back in August would have disagreed but now that Warren is on IR yet again turn him loose. He's not doing us any good.

I agree. Give Warren an injury settlement and let's get another DT on the roster. He's a UFA after the current one year contract and it's not likely the Broncos will re-sign him. I wouldn't.