PDA

View Full Version : PN's 8/3/12 Camp Report

pnbronco
08-05-2012, 03:36 AM
I've had a tough weekend. At the end of camp I felt a weird burning on my back and when I got home I had a major heat rash going on, so I didn't really feel like going over my notes and trying to make sense of them. Mecklenburg has his Golf Tournament on Monday so I have been running like a chicken with no head trying to pick up last minute items and I ran by the Stadium to see who was in signing in the Alumni table. Stay for a while in the hot sun again and walked out to my car to find out some one had backed into my car, broke the left light, hurt the bummer and no note! So I will try to post a few things, but my mind is not in the best place tonight......

The team started with lots and lots of timing practice with Special Teams. From blocking to taking a couple of steps when they had mock kick offs. It just felt like they want the timing to be second nature and did a lot of more walk through the movements.

The next thing I noticed is the DJ was in full pads again but he had a lot of orange on and I mean a lot. Orange beanie on his head, long sleeve orange shirt under his jersey (and did I mention it was dang hot) and orange socks. He would watch on the sidelines and then go running. I could be wrong, but it felt like he was wanting to be seen.

So then I noticed these 2 guys practicing long snaps to each other. When I looked on the roster I saw that it was Lonie Paxton and Aaron Brewer which are both listed as long snappers. Aaron is very nice, I got to talk to him for a minute but dang this kid looks like he just stepped off a Viking Ship. If he had the horn helmet on his head it would look so normal. Larger kid, very straight longer blond hair, a very well built upper body(Gem...;)). What the heck Lonnie looks like he just stepped out of a MMA ring....:laugh:

Deckers was back on the field in full uni. including his helmet.

Now Orlando Franklin was in his uni., but had a ball cap on. When they went through timing drills he was in the huddle and on the line, no hitting just motion of what to do. During these drills Beadles went off sides and Peyton was ticked and let it be known. Peyton has created a atmosphere where they work on things from almost slow motion to full speed where it is done over and over and done right. I've been to a lot of camps over the years and everyone has done drills, but I just get the feeling that the bar has been raised for everyone.

The other thing I noticed when the O was working on timing 11/11's Rahim Moore was calling out adjustments on his side of the field. He is so much further ahead this year. He is reading the play and not only making adjusts for himself but calling out to everyone around him. The other thing I have really noticed is that his demeanor is much more of a man this year, than a kid. No funny hair, strutting for the sake of strutting and he his talking to Champ a lot. I have seen him going over what just happened with Champ like he's trying to gather as much info as he can. I heard him this week on the radio talk about how much having OTA's have helped him and I just see a different person out there.

Early on Hunter was with the 1's a lot. Will come back to this. However Wolfe and Unrein played a lot with what I would call the 1 1/2's. The DB's were still the 1's but they put one then the other a lot. I really loose these guys in the pile and have no idea if Wolfe is doing his mechanics right, but they are seeing something they like because he keeps going out with the almost 1's. As a side note I saw Meck out there one day working with Unrein on leverage and he seems to be catching on enough to be out with the almost 1's. Vickerson was in and out, it looked like a ankle was giving him a hard time and he is very noticeably bigger. Oh and Ty Warren is a beast. If had can stay healthy the man has been playing lights out.

So back to Hunter. I like Jason a lot, he is really good guy, but I have no idea what the heck was going on with him on Friday. He and Cooper almost came to blows 2 if not 3 times, it was just crazy. The last time Cooper yanks off Hunters helmet and tossed it. This is so not the Cooper I have seen over the years, he was ticked. So hopefully the next full practice will be a little cooler and so will the tempers.....could they be getting heat rashes too..........:confused:

The other young one I have been noticing is Danny Trevathan. He just seems to have nose for the ball. I can't tell you what he's done, but I'll look over and notice he's in the mix again.

The tight ends were doing a drill in front of me where they used their hands to kind of block and at the same time push off to get around a linebacker. Wow is Jacob Tamme good at this. It's like the LB didn't even know what happened and he was around them. This man has skills that amaze me every practice I see. He's a big, strong player that cuts great across the middle, can block super well and just finds a way to get open and be that safety valve for Peyton. They are so in sink.

The other TE that has really impressed me is Joel Dreesen. Blocks really well on running plays and has great hands. I would say Tamme is the best of the TE's but Dreesen has been impressive too and should help out a lot this year. I can not tell you how much better Virgil Green has gotten at blocking this year. He is so much better than he was last year. He just seems to be trying to do everything they ask him to do to make the team.

Jeremiah Johnson was tearing it up on the field today. He was squeezing like a rat through the holes. Making the right cuts and getting yards after yards. He had the crowd going crazy. Now I know he's done this in the past and it just has not translated to actual games. Also I know he was going against the 2's. BTW the O line that was punching these holes for him were C.J. Davis, Tony Hills (who is a major big boy) & Manny Ramirez. When they were done JJ went to each of those guys and did the pump fist. You could just feel the team work going on between them. I just really hope that if he makes this team that he can do in a game what he has been doing in camp.

Champ is Champ you may get a few by him but he will come back to bite you. The man is amazing. Other DB's I've noticed have been Chris Harris and Tony Carter. Porter always seems to be on the other side so I really have not got to see as much of him, so I can't really report on how he's doing. Again to be honest Champ is such a force out there I find myself watching him a lot and not so much anyone else.....

Peyton is throwing to RB's, TE's and of course WR's. He and Tamme just really seem to be in sink and made a bunch of great completions. The other person that he is so in sink with is Stok. They had a few mishaps but dang do they connect. I think the old man still has something in the tank, esp with someone that he works so well with. Moreno has done a really good job of going across the middle completing the pass. McGahee has done a good job with passes as well, but he clearly the best at the run with RB's. It seems like they have played both Bell and Moreno with the 2's about even.

D Thomas and Peyton are really starting to get in rhythm with each other. DT made some just amazing catches in the corner. Actually all over the place. The kid is a beast and it's taking a lot to slow him down at the line. You can tell Champ has his hands full with him and they are going at it every time they are on the same side, but that's when Tamme gets open. I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the season starting.

Decker had some great catches, but I don't think he's running on all cylinders yet. They had some missed passes, behind Deckers, in front of him. Just not as crisp as the last time I saw them. Caldwell is something special too. Different than Decker or Thomas but he's bigger than Stok but more that quick, really light on his feet like Stok.

Peyton did all the work with the 1's. They kept switching off between Hanie and Osweiler on the 2's. Osweiler looks much better than he did at the beginning of camp, but he still has a lot to learn. I do remember he had a INT and then a great pass to M Willis. I have seen some good flashes in him, I think he just needs time and hopefully he will get it to practice, watch and learn. You can just tell that he trying to learn at lot. Hanie would have some nice passes M Willis and G Robinson and then he would so over throw or hold too long. It just feels like they are trying to figure out if he can be # 2 or are they just going to cut him.

Weber is one of my buddies so I can't be objective. When he's having a hard time I'm cringing, but he had a great pass to Caldwell and J Thomas. He played a lot with the 3's. He can be on the practice squad again this year, so I try to not think too much about where he falls in the QB order. He had a great run for quit a few yards on a 11/11.

Those practicing receiving punts were S Thompson, C Kenney, A Miller & J Johnson. Johnson made cut and had great return on one of his turns. Feels like they are still trying to figure all this out.

Just a couple of misc things. Bruton had a INT. One of Mannings passes was bounced up in the air and Tamme came down with it. Page had a great pass/catch in end zone form Hanie. Moreno took a pass from Hanie and tried to run before he secured it and dropped it. I think Caldwell took a hand off from Hanie and could he flat out run for a lot of yards.

Well I hope you get something out of all this. You can tell camp has been going on for a while. They are sore, hurting and just ill tempered at times. I'm sure the heat has not helped. I guess I wrote more than a few lines, but I was one of those kids that took a lot of notes in school, some things never change. I'm just glad that a lot of you will get to see these guys with your own eyes very soon. Go Broncos.....pn

Canmore
08-05-2012, 03:46 AM
I love your camp reports. They are filled with so much emotion. It almost makes me feel like I was there too.

Chef Zambini
08-05-2012, 08:42 AM
great job, excellent report. are the players washing their panty-hose together?
you discribe alot of them as being in sink?
is that code for hot tub session?
like a gay boy band, in sink?
in synch, as in synchronized
anyway, an excellent report, everything but the kitchen synch.

underrated29
08-05-2012, 10:57 AM
Did we re-sign Eric page? Because I know we cut him earlier....

Thanks P, you are the best!!!!

pnbronco
08-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Did we re-sign Eric page? Because I know we cut him earlier....

Thanks P, you are the best!!!!

Sorry he was wearing 19 and I had my old roster in from me. It was Cameron Kenney. I just write down there # and then look it up as I am trying to write up the report. Thanks for the heads up and I did change the name in the report.

pnbronco
08-05-2012, 11:27 AM
I love your camp reports. They are filled with so much emotion. It almost makes me feel like I was there too.

Thank you so much Canmore. I hate writing in general, can talk to a wall but just hate to write, just not my thing. Also I am a fan, so what I write is from a fan's perspective and nothing more. Do not know the match ups and I really don't care to. I just have my players that are near and dear to me and I really enjoy watching what they are doing. I want our team to be the best it can for their sake and all Bronco fans.

Since I been to a lot of camps over the years I can draw on what I've seen in the past. Like when I say that Coopers actions were not normal, that's what I mean.

So thank you for seeing where my report is coming from. I'm just one fan trying to relay to others fans what it's like to be that close to a team we love so much and melting or burning up in the process.......:D

blamkin86
08-05-2012, 12:11 PM
Thanks for taking notes - and sorry about your car. People just leave a note - maybe they didn't have insurance or something. Bah!

Anyway great report as always. Thanks for keeping us in the know. I feel like I was there.