PDA

View Full Version : Stop living in the Broncos' past

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2009, 07:53 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12916949

We don't know if coach Josh McDaniels can be trusted, if Kyle Orton can hold the job as quarterback or if Robert Ayers can generate a pass rush.

But of all the unknowns as the Broncos go to camp facing more uncertainty than at any time in the last 25 years, here's the real big question:

Will NFL fans in Denver ever join the 21st century?

The attitude of way too many Broncomaniacs stinks.

It's not 1998 anymore, people. Quit living in the past.

If the Broncos were smart, they would offer new jerseys at the team store for 50 percent off the retail price to every fan who showed up at camp and traded in a uniform with No. 6, No. 53 or No. 87.

Jay Cutler, Bill Romanowski and Ed McCaffrey ain't coming back. Get over it, already.

And please stop the sniveling because Mike Shanahan has left the building. Quit the bellyaching about how the Broncos fired a master of X's and O's for some snot-nosed, hoodie-wearing kid.

The truth is Shanahan had not been a very good coach since 2005, as his 24-24 record and zero playoff appearances during his last three seasons with the Broncos would attest.

We will eternally thank Shanahan for the Super Bowl memories and can envision him giving an acceptance speech in Canton, Ohio, in the future. But the greatest coach in Broncos history had gone stale with his red-zone schemes, brought in too many players of iffy character and blamed defensive coordinators for too long before franchise owner Pat Bowlen finally said: Enough!

There's no guarantee McDaniels will ever win a playoff game in Denver, but right here, right now, in 2009, there's no doubt the new coach has Shanahan beat in one critical respect.

McDaniels is attacking problems the Broncos had failed to address with fresh ideas.

It was at the height of Shanahan's arrogance when he began to believe Denver could put anybody from an undrafted rookie to a cellphone salesman at running back and succeed. Maybe that's one big reason why the Broncos gained fewer yards on the ground than their opposition in consecutive seasons for the first time in 20 years.

Cutler did provide Denver with a Pro Bowl arm. But if you ever witnessed the way Jay-C pouted his way through adversity and compared it with how Peyton Manning, Tom Brady or Ben Roesthlisberger conduct themselves while leading a championship team, it might be time to admit there's more to playing quarterback than rearing back and heaving the football.

Doesn't it make sense to take the league's worst defense this side of Detroit and introduce it to a 3-4 hybrid scheme in which athletes such as D.J. Williams, Elvis Dumervil and the rookie Ayers will actually be put in position to make an impact?

The Broncos were a broken team. There will be no quick fixes.

So perhaps it is disgruntled receiver Brandon Marshall, of all people, who best reflects the current attitude of Broncomaniacs who have lost the faith.

Marshall doesn't know whether he has the heart to commit to a team that lost its way in the final frustrating seasons of the Shanahan regime. B-Marsh thinks this franchise caused him undue pain and made him suffer needlessly.

And when you get right down to it, don't many fans feel the exact same way?

Of course, the easiest thing to do would be to turn tail and run.

So anybody who wants to blame McDaniels for the past failures of everybody from Travis Henry to Javon Walker and a whole bunch of guys who failed to understand, much less honor, a proud franchise tradition now must ask the same question Marshall needs to pose when he looks in the mirror this morning.

Do you want to be part of the Broncos' past?

Or are you ready to attack the future with an NFL team that was eight or nine years late in joining the 21st century?

Take your pick.

Northman
07-26-2009, 08:10 AM
I moved on a while ago.

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
07-26-2009, 08:23 AM
Great Article
In reality a lot of us whether we admit it or not are still somewhat stuck in the past... I think majority of us are over the Romo and Eddie Mac days, but a lot of us still dwell on some of the more recent Shanny stuff. Slowly but steadily we are all moving on.

Lonestar
07-26-2009, 11:02 AM
Hey I was ready to move 3 years ago. And the minute mike was fired and Josh was hired, and everyday since.

Each time I see him in a coaching situation, I like him more.

Time for the mouring to stop and move on.

broncobryce
07-26-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks. That was the best article I've seen in the post for a long time. I love shanahan, but I can't believe he thought he could build a defense with second class players, and second class D-coordinators

Shazam!
07-26-2009, 11:04 AM
I moved on a while ago.

This article should reflect on a few choice people here. We know who they are, you're not one of them.

broncofanatic1987
07-26-2009, 12:17 PM
Great article.

Too bad all the naysayers won't take the advice and will continue to spew hatred and gloom.:tsk:

Superchop 7
07-26-2009, 12:19 PM
OK

So, using the "logic" of the article, the "argument" of the article.

When the Broncos are 5-11 we need to get rid of McDaniels.

I like it.

dogfish
07-26-2009, 12:30 PM
i knew that was kiszla within two sentences. . . . :coffee:

is there any way we can get disclaimers at the top of posts when they're his "articles?"

Denver Native (Carol)
07-26-2009, 12:40 PM
OK

I like it.

Logic and argument = individual interpretation, and I did not get the same interpretation out of the article that you did.

From article:

BroncoWave
07-26-2009, 01:02 PM
Best article posted all offseason.

Bolltfanbo
07-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Stop living in the past says the OP with the John Elway signature. lol That's kinda of funny.

But I think it did bring up good points for your fans and organization.

BroncoWave
07-28-2009, 01:06 PM
Stop living in the past says the OP with the John Elway signature. lol That's kinda of funny.

Carol posts every interesting article she comes across, regardless of where it fits with her views on the team. "Stop living in the past" aren't her words, they are the words of the article's writer.

T.K.O.
07-28-2009, 01:12 PM
OK

I like it.

i bet your alot of fun at parties !

i wonder what all the mcD haters will say when we win the division and make the playoffs for the first time in 4 years?
and dont say its not possible,if you can guarantee 5-11,i can say PLAYOFFS !:elefant::salute:

Overtime
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
author of this article left out one key point....STOP BRINGING UP FAKE PLUMMER! LOL...sorry I couldn't resist.

TXBRONC
07-28-2009, 02:48 PM
Logic and argument = individual interpretation, and I did not get the same interpretation out of the article that you did.

From article:

If IRCC McDaniels believes he can win now.

EastCoastBronco
07-29-2009, 07:37 AM
The hardest time I had with letting go of the past was when TD retired. With Elway, McCaffrey, Sharpe, Smith (hell, even Shanny and Cutler), whether by retirement or termination of employment, it was time to go.
I was pushing for Shanny's removal a couple of years ago. We had become so damn predictable on offence and defence that it was time for a change. The success of the late 90's was fantastic and long overdue but it also succeeded in creating a nice bed of laurels that we were all happy to rest on for 10 years. Guess what? That bed got thrown to the curb in February. Now it's time to make a new one.
Good article.

Shazam!
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
The hardest time I had with letting go of the past was when TD retired...

Unfortunately, it was predictable and didn't shock me too much. It was the same and even moreso with Elway, and I walked around with a rain cloud over my head for months.

HORSEPOWER 56
07-29-2009, 05:32 PM
I understand the point Kisla is trying to make, but comparing Cutler to Manning, Brady, and Roethlisberger and trying to make them sound like "saints" is just in poor taste.

I remember all the pressers after the Colts were knocked out of the playoffs year after year where Manning called out his "idiot kicker" and his O-line with their "protection issues". I remember Brady whining to everyone who'd listen above the Pats being "disrespected" even though no team in recent memory has received the kind of man-love the Pats have from the media - not even the Cowboys of the 90's or 49ers of the 80's. How about Big "I wear a helmet when I want to" Ben who nearly cost his team a QB and himself his life because he's too cool for a helmet. Pending the outcome of the latest allegations of sexual assault, is he really the guy you want to compare someone to as "classy"?

Just a thought. Let he without sin cast the first stone, and all.