PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl would cap off Bailey's career

Lonestar
07-25-2009, 02:49 PM
The Denver Post
Posted: 07/25/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT
Updated: 07/25/2009 01:25:10 AM MDT

In Bailey's first 10 seasons, 15 different teams have played in the Super Bowl. None of whom have been any of Bailey's teams.

"The older I get, the more it bothers me," Bailey said.

After five seasons with the Redskins and now in his sixth season with the Broncos, Bailey has become recognized as one of the league's top defensive backs despite his absence from the league's greatest stage.

Bailey had a streak of eight consecutive Pro Bowl seasons snapped last year because of a groin injury suffered in Game 7 against Josh McDaniels' Patriots. Does coming off his injury-plagued, non-Pro Bowl season heighten Bailey's anticipation for 2009?

"That's not what really drives me," he said. "Winning it all drives me. I'm not concerned with the Pro Bowls. They come as you play well. Don't get me wrong, they're great when you get them, but I want to be in the championship game at the end of the year."

Busy, busy.

The agency group led by Tom Condon and Ben Dogra represents eight of the top 19 picks from the NFL's most recent draft, but there's reason to believe Broncos running back Knowshon Moreno is among their highest priorities.

The Condon-Dogra group may need Moreno, the No. 12 overall pick, to sign before they can slot in the contracts for Redskins defensive end Brian Orakpo at No. 13, New Orleans cornerback Malcolm Jenkins at No. 14 and Houston outside linebacker Brian Cushing at No. 15.

The Broncos hope to have Moreno by their Monday afternoon practice for rookies, injured players and quarterbacks.

Condon-Dogra also represented No. 1 pick Matthew Stafford, who signed a $78 million contract with Detroit that includes a record $41.7 million guarantee, No. 2 pick Jason Smith, No. 7 Darrius Heyward-Bay and No. 19 Jeremy Maclin.

Hanging in.

Before the 2007 training camp, Kyle Orton was competing not to start but to merely keep his roster spot with the Bears. Rex Grossman and Brian Griese were competing for the starting quarterback spot and the Bears signed Chris Leak off his national championship season with the Florida Gators to become their No. 3 quarterback.

"It didn't bother me at all," Orton said. "I have confidence in my game."

Orton, who started in his rookie season of 2005 before he was demoted, not only beat out Leak to begin the season, he became the Bears' starting quarterback by season's end.

Orton was the Bears' starter last year and after an offseason trade for Jay Cutler, will be the Broncos' starter when he reports to training camp Monday.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_12912154?source=rss

Superchop 7
07-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Well, he is on the wrong team to get a ring.

aberdien
07-26-2009, 12:27 AM
This year, it's coming.

Shazam!
07-26-2009, 01:50 AM

Thank goodness players don't think like that. Otherwise, there's no point in playing. Just skipping the whole season sounds better I suppose.

BroncoWave
07-26-2009, 02:02 AM

Thanks for that deep insight. Where would we be without such knowledge?

Shazam is right, we should just cancel the season. I mean, we're just gonna lose every game anyway, might as well not even try!

SR
07-26-2009, 03:04 AM

:laugh:

Worst post ever. I think everyone else had murdered this enough.

SoCalImport
07-26-2009, 06:12 AM
We've got the MOST difficult part of a championship caliber team already..Stud O-line.
WIth that in place, it's easy to imagine Moreno becoming a dominant runner with Hillts as compliment.
You need a game manager at QB, and a top 15 defense (biggest task for this team) and you're there, man!

It's not that big of a stretch, as long as the defense comes together.

Flame away, negative Nelly's :)

dogfish
07-26-2009, 12:28 PM
We've got the MOST difficult part of a championship caliber team already..Stud O-line.
WIth that in place, it's easy to imagine Moreno becoming a dominant runner with Hillts as compliment.
You need a game manager at QB, and a top 15 defense (biggest task for this team) and you're there, man!

It's not that big of a stretch, as long as the defense comes together.

Flame away, negative Nelly's :)

take a look at all the winning quarterback of each super bowl in the salary cap era-- most of them are in the hall of fame, or will be at some point. . . that's not an accident. . . and that's widely considered to be the hardest position in the game to fill with quality talent. . .

Fan in Exile
07-26-2009, 01:57 PM
take a look at all the winning quarterback of each super bowl in the salary cap era-- most of them are in the hall of fame, or will be at some point. . . that's not an accident. . . and that's widely considered to be the hardest position in the game to fill with quality talent. . .

I think that using the HoF to make an argument is probably a pretty bad idea considering what most Bronco's fans think about our player's lack of inclusion in the HoF.

LordTrychon
07-26-2009, 04:14 PM
I think that using the HoF to make an argument is probably a pretty bad idea considering what most Bronco's fans think about our player's lack of inclusion in the HoF.

Yeah, but the one position even we didn't get snubbed for HOF was QB.

SR
07-26-2009, 04:19 PM

If Trent ******* Dilfer won a Super Bowl, Kyle Damn Orton can too!

jrelway
07-26-2009, 04:35 PM

Trent Dilfer had a monster defense i believe. so did brad johnson.

Lonestar
07-26-2009, 04:52 PM
Trent Dilfer had a monster defense i believe. so did brad johnson.

and who's to say that with a huge Offense and a good Defense, Orton can't do it..

beside those that nay say anything, besides jay is the best and mike should be HC for ever..

that can't wrap their head around they are gone and we have a new direction..

dogfish
07-26-2009, 05:05 PM

sure he can-- all we need now is the 2000 ravens defense. . . .

Lonestar
07-26-2009, 05:09 PM
sure he can-- all we need now is the 2000 ravens defense. . . .

not at all we have a damned fine group of players on Offense, heads and above what they had and maybe even better than what Big Ben had when they beat up on us..

all we need is a much better TEAM on D and that is what Josh Etal are all about..

TEAM being the key word for the future in DENVER..

dogfish
07-26-2009, 05:20 PM
not at all we have a damned fine group of players on Offense, heads and above what they had and maybe even better than what Big Ben had when they beat up on us..

all we need is a much better TEAM on D and that is what Josh Etal are all about..

TEAM being the key word for the future in DENVER..

if i had a dollar for every time you've posted that word TEAM since we hired doogie, i could buy one of my own. . . .

hehe. . . sorry JR, just messin' with ya. . . . :D

as the guy has never been a HC before, i'm going to wait and see whether he can make the bill bellyache approach work here or not-- after all, none of belly's other disciples has had all that much luck with it. . . having a team-first attitude is great (and realistically, we don't have anything besides offseason puff pieces to show us that we're any better in that respect that we were last year), but you still have to go out and block, tackle and play better than the other team. . . . we'll see how it plays out. . . .

Lonestar
07-26-2009, 05:52 PM
if i had a dollar for every time you've posted that word TEAM since we hired doogie, i could buy one of my own. . . .

hehe. . . sorry JR, just messin' with ya. . . . :D

as the guy has never been a HC before, i'm going to wait and see whether he can make the bill bellyache approach work here or not-- after all, none of belly's other disciples has had all that much luck with it. . . having a team-first attitude is great (and realistically, we don't have anything besides offseason puff pieces to show us that we're any better in that respect that we were last year), but you still have to go out and block, tackle and play better than the other team. . . . we'll see how it plays out. . . .

I agree but everything I have seen or heard makes me think he can pull this off.

will he be a Superbowl caliber HC who the hell knows we had a bunch of god coaches here before that could not get us a ring.. and we all know about those second tier coaches that are winners but can't get their teams their..

Mike became that second tier HC after the HOF'ers left.. marty was and many others were..

right now I'll settle for not getting trapped a couple times a year.. or looking like dog crap when we play on prime time or early games on the east coast..

and probably the most important thing putting the fear of GOD into other teams when they come to Mile High..

we should never ever lose at Mile High..

Playing TEAM ball is all we can do for a couple of years till we rebuild the talent level.. and this TEAM gets used to winning again..

the past few years lots of the players were going thru the motions..

We all saw that if your honest with yourself you all saw it..