PDA

View Full Version : Broncos coordinator Jack Del Rio wants his defense to wax "rugged"

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2012, 12:19 PM
As the Broncos players begin to know Jack Del Rio as the team's defensive boss, some of them have used the phrase "laid back" to describe the former linebacker.

"I don't know, they might not feel that way after a while," Del Rio said. "We're just looking to get the best possible group out there in this defense, doing things the way we want them done."

And along the way, Del Rio has been willing to throw a depth-chart curveball or two in training camp's early going.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21221200/broncos-coordinator-jack-del-rio-wants-his-defense

Denver Native (Carol)
08-03-2012, 12:20 PM
Del Rio likes his view from the sideline just fine.

In the end, it often comes down to preference for a play-caller — in the booth or on the sideline.

And Saturday, in the Broncos' practice/scrimmage at Sports Authority Field at Mile High, folks will get their first look at what Jack Del Rio's preference is. The Broncos first-year defensive coordinator was quick to say what his plans with a headset are: "On the sideline," Del Rio said. "I've been on the sideline my whole career. I spent one miserable year in Baltimore in the booth — the worst year of my life. I see it on the field. I like to feel it, like to be there to look into guys' eyes on the sideline. That's just where I'm comfortable calling a game."

rest - plus other things http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21223893/broncos-d-coordinator-jack-del-rio-prefers-sideline

Dzone
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Hunter is beating out a first round draft pick. Great. When does the "bust" label get applied to Robert Ayers?
Nice going Mcdaniels...NOT!

rationalfan
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Hunter is beating out a first round draft pick. Great. When does the "bust" label get applied to Robert Ayers?
Nice going Mcdaniels...NOT!

i love when fans throw the bust label on a draft pick who doesn't turn out to be a star, but has started for an entire season. narrow perspective, i think.

also, who says ayers is playing poorly? might just be hunter is playing exceptionally well.

and, it's the beginning of training camp. let's overreact when it's week 14 and ayers hasn't started for a month.

Ziggy
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Ayers has been a starter for 2 years out of his 3 year career. He may not be a dynamic player, but he's not the next Ted Gregory. He'll probably spend a decade playing in the NFL.

Northman
08-03-2012, 01:57 PM
Wax on, wax off Mr. Delyoggy

Dzone
08-03-2012, 02:01 PM
I suppose thats true about Ayers. He has played and contributed. Maybe not up to first round expectations, but a serviceable DE nonetheless.
If you see the Del Rio interview, you will see that he is not real happy with Ayers play so far. If he was a 3rd round pick that wouldnt be a very big deal. But an 18th overall pick brings with it high expectations.

G_Money
08-03-2012, 02:03 PM
He's not gonna spend a decade in the NFL if he can't sack or tackle anybody. :tsk:

And when Del Rio says, "Ayers is out there working pretty hard, probably harder than he has in a while" while gushing over what a badass motor Jason Hunter has and how much he "loves him"...then Ayers keeps fulfilling what I said about him on draft day - he only works hard in contract years or when it's finally gonna screw him over.

We'll see if he can pick it up this year, before it's too late.

~G

Traveler
08-03-2012, 02:11 PM
All I'll say is it warms my heart to finally hear our DC really challenge our players.

Best man plays....period! Hope this is the wake-up call Ayers needs to up his game moreso than he has since he was drafted. We saw flashes late last year. He just needs to do it on a more consistent basis.

Northman
08-03-2012, 02:41 PM
All I'll say is it warms my heart to finally hear our DC really challenge our players.

Best man plays....period! Hope this is the wake-up call Ayers needs to up his game moreso than he has since he was drafted. We saw flashes late last year. He just needs to do it on a more consistent basis.

Right now your avy is really warming my heart....

G_Money
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
That's not your heart...

~G

turftoad
08-03-2012, 03:20 PM
Ayers has shown some promise but is inconsistent. I don't think he's a bust but more of an average player. I guess you could maybe consider him a !st round dud if nothing else.

NightTrainLayne
08-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Wax "rugged"?

First thing I thought of was BeefStew.