PDA

View Full Version : NFP’s camp countdown: AFC West

Lonestar
07-24-2009, 10:20 AM
By Matt Bowen, The National Football Post
Jul 23, 4:46 pm EDT

As the offseason nears its end, here are the top storylines for each AFC West team heading into training camp.

Denver Broncos: The Marshall drama

Broncos wide receiver Brandon Marshall(notes) is one of the best young playmakers in the game, but is he mentally ready to take on the challenge – after an up-and-down offseason – and become that playmaker for new head coach Josh McDaniels?

The offense in Denver caters to wide receivers, just as it did in New England under McDaniels. If I’m Marshall, I can’t wait to get into camp, put on the pads and watch the offense evolve in August so this team can hit the ground running in September. But to do that, Marshall needs to be focused on football and not his contract demands, because the job of a rookie head coach is hard enough in his first camp without distractions. Add in another Marshall media storm and things could go south quickly for the Broncos. Kyle Orton(notes) is more than capable of succeeding in this offense, so all Marshall has to do is run his routes within McDaniels’ system and he’ll see plenty of balls thrown his way.

As I wrote Wednesday when I talked about Anquan Boldin(notes), August is all about football, and Marshall needs to take the same approach. Produce and he’ll get paid, but now is not the time for individuals. It’s all about the team – if you want to win.

Kansas City Chiefs: The Cassel show

Now that Matt Cassel(notes) is the unquestioned quarterback of the future in Kansas City, it’s time for us to dig deeper and decide if he’s the quarterback his new contract reflects.

Cassel, middle, during minincamp in June.
(John Reiger/US Presswire)

We all know that Cassel benefited from the supporting cast he had in New England, especially receivers Randy Moss(notes) and Wes Welker(notes). But does he have the talent to come into K.C. and lead an offense with Larry Johnson(notes) – whose entire game is in question – and a No.1 option in wide receiver Dwayne Bowe(notes), who in reality is a possession receiver? Sure, those are questions we can ask, but what we do know is that general manager Scott Pioli, who saw Cassel every day of the 2008 season, saw enough from the quarterback to make the trade and give him a new contract. Plus, new head coach Todd Haley brings an offense to Kansas City that produces big plays in the vertical passing game and fits Cassel’s style. The bottom line is that this training camp will be Cassel’s first as a starter, and everyone will be looking to him to make the plays that provide wins for this young, rebuilding team. It will take time, but we expect to see the same Matt Cassel who was slinging the ball around in New England or this move will be questioned.

I’ve said before that my verdict is still out on Cassel without the all-star cast he had in New England. But once camp starts, he’ll have plenty of opportunity to prove me – and everyone else – wrong.

Oakland Raiders: Russell vs. Garcia

Is there a real quarterback competition in Oakland? Or was Jeff Garcia(notes) brought in just in case starter JaMarcus Russell(notes) disappoints? If the Raiders want to be serious contenders in the AFC West, then this needs to be an open competition in August.

Let’s be honest, the Raiders didn’t sign Garcia to hold a clipboard and clap his hands on the sidelines. He’s a quarterback who’s proven he can win. He can lead a team to the postseason, and I still believe he has plenty to offer – if the Raiders allow that to happen. Russell has a lot of talent, but he hasn’t had to compete against a veteran like Garcia before in his career. If he’s the choice, he will have won a valid competition and fought his way into the huddle – which is something that could bring rewards in his career as a Raider. But it won’t be easy. We’ve heard that the coaching staff was impressed by Garcia this offseason, and at worst, it provides the Raiders with a fallback plan if Russell starts slowly and the team finds itself deep in a hole in the division race after September.

The bottom line is simple for every position in training camp: The more competition, the better the effort, the play and the production you get from every player on the team. In Oakland, the quarterback position is no different. Allow these guys to battle on the field.

San Diego Chargers: The return of the defense

Last season, the Chargers made a postseason appearance because their offense and quarterback Philip Rivers(notes) had impressive seasons. But what about that defense – the one we all thought would be among the AFC’s best? Because the way I see it, if this defense plays up to its abilities, the Chargers are a complete football team and a very dangerous one.

Yes, the return of a healthy Shawne Merriman(notes) at outside linebacker will help, as will the addition of rookie edge rusher Larry English(notes) from Northern Illinois, who has had an impressive offseason. I also like their secondary, and if Merriman is healthy and productive, he adds a dimension that was missing from this unit in 2008 – one that fell all the way to 25th in the league in total defense (349.9 yards a game). They have the talent, and they have an attacking 3-4 scheme that should produce pressure and turnovers (only 15 picks as a defense in ’08), giving Rivers and his offense easy scoring opportunities.

It’s no secret that the Chargers are the favorites to win the AFC West heading into camp, but for that to come true, this defense has to be among the league’s best. If it is, this team could go deep into January.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ys-afcwestcampcountdown072309&prov=yhoo&type=lgns