PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos Notes, Quotes

Lonestar
07-24-2009, 03:43 AM
by Sports Xchange

Updated: July 24, 2009, 3:40 AM EDT
--The Broncos had nine unsigned draft picks less than a week before rookies were to report to training camp, including a pair of first-rounders.

That isn't unusual around the NFL, but there is a lot of scrutiny on the team and its new regime after a hectic offseason. The Broncos can't afford to have a holdout from either first-round pick, running back Knowshon Moreno or linebacker Robert Ayers, because both could start this season. Denver did sign a pair of draft picks, receiver Kenny McKinley and tight end Richard Quinn, four days before reporting day for rookies.
--Fifth-round pick Kenny McKinley signed his rookie contract a few days before training camp, and now faces the challenge of making the team. If the former South Carolina receiver can stay healthy, he is an interesting prospect. He put up big numbers in college but had injury issues. He seems to fit well in Josh McDaniels' scheme.

--Second-round pick Richard Quinn, a tight end who was the third of Denver's draft picks to sign a contract, will learn behind Daniel Graham, another big blocking tight end. If Quinn makes progress as a rookie, he could position himself to be Graham's eventual successor as the team's top tight end in the running game.

--Former Broncos coach Mike Shanahan granted an interview to the CBS affiliate in Denver, and said new coach Josh McDaniels deserves a chance to prove himself. McDaniels has been criticized this offseason, his first as a head coach.

"Give the head coach a chance to prove himself," Shanahan told the station. "He's going to do some things that might be a little different, but you're always judged on winning and losing. I've heard a lot of good things about him and hopefully he can do Denver proud."

QUOTE TO NOTE: "Just a little bit of everything, really. Just being a professional football player." - Rookie tight end Richard Quinn on what he has learned from veteran Daniel Graham.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809724/Denver-Broncos-Notes,-Quotes

Lonestar
07-24-2009, 03:45 AM
by Sports Xchange

Updated: July 24, 2009, 3:40 AM EDT
Brandon Marshall seems ready to offer a temporary truce, but that doesn't mean he's ready to totally move on.

The Broncos receiver promised to show up to training camp on time. He held out of the Broncos' mandatory minicamp and demanded a trade, and the team didn't seem in a hurry to deal him.
Facing large fines every day he doesn't show up, Marshall said he planned to report on time. That's a victory for the team, having its top playmaking receiver in camp.

But Marshall made it clear in a subsequent interview he might not be fully committed to being a Bronco. During an appearance on NFL Network he was asked if he thought he would be wearing No. 15 for the Broncos this season.

"I'm definitely going to be wearing No. 15," Marshall said.

He also didn't directly answer most of the NFL Network's questions about his happiness with the club, deferring to his agent.

"Kennard (McGuire), he's a great agent and I think he's going to handle all of that," Marshall said. "I don't think it would be fair for me to sit up here and kind of bash the organization or the things we've been trying to keep behind closed doors."

What the Broncos have to be concerned about is if they plan to keep Marshall, and all indications are they do, if the fourth-year receiver will be a distraction to the team. Cincinnati had problems with Chad Ochocinco last year when he was unhappy, and Ochocinco turned in a very poor season.

Marshall is driven to be the best receiver in the NFL, and probably wouldn't tank a season if he doesn't get traded. However, if he remains unhappy his situation will bear watching through the preseason and in the early parts of the regular season.

CAMP CALENDAR: Broncos camp begins in full on July 31, when veterans have their first practice, and ends on Aug. 20. On July 27, rookies will report to training camp. The Broncos will also practice twice at Invesco Field at Mile High, for the public on Aug. 6 and again on Aug. 10.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/4809722/Denver-Broncos-Inside-Slant

CHARLIEADAMSFAN
07-24-2009, 12:05 PM
McKinely could be great from what I've heard but he also could be a huge bust and terrible
As far as Marshall is concerned I have just been looking on the bright side with Eddie Royal, love him... Brandon who?
And I trust Shanny but do you think hes getting a good laugh outta this?

Dortoh
07-24-2009, 12:32 PM
McKinely could be great from what I've heard but he also could be a huge bust and terrible
As far as Marshall is concerned I have just been looking on the bright side with Eddie Royal, love him... Brandon who?
And I trust Shanny but do you think hes getting a good laugh outta this?

I dislike Brandon the person but Royals sucess can be directly linked to lining up opposite Brandon.