PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Elvis Dumervil, Von Miller pack combination punch if healthy

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2012, 10:46 AM
The guys who get paid to face the Broncos defense during the regular season know they won't get to see the good stuff until September.

And the best of that good stuff will be what first-year coordinator Jack Del Rio does with a luxury most defensive coordinators don't really have around the league. Del Rio has not one, but two edge rushers with the ability to lead the league in sacks.

One, Elvis Dumervil, has already done it, in 2009. And the other, Von Miller, looks poised to turn the trick at some point in his career.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21210242/broncos-elvis-dumervil-von-miller-pack-combination-punch

Dzone
08-02-2012, 11:06 AM
Sweet!
Von will have both hands and thumbs this year too. That has to add more sacks to last years total

underrated29
08-02-2012, 12:19 PM
We are going to be Nasty!

I can feel it

Chef Zambini
08-02-2012, 12:34 PM
all hbypothjetical until doom has his indiscretions in miami in his rearview mirror, the legal courts and the court of the commisioner.
I guess jeff, just thinks all of that is going to disapear.

OrangeHoof
08-02-2012, 01:13 PM
Von could have a quantum leap season. Most players make their biggest progress between the first and second year and Del Gutter is an exceptional defensive coach who had been masquerading as a head coach.

Ziggy
08-02-2012, 01:17 PM
Playing with the lead will be as much of a factor as anything. The biggest boost to this defense is going to be Peyton Manning. It gets Joe Mays off of the field more often and puts Von on the line rushing the passer with Doom.

Chef Zambini
08-02-2012, 03:09 PM
playing with the lead?
I guess we expect to win every coin toss?

Chef Zambini
08-02-2012, 03:12 PM
how many superbowls dod dan fouts play in?
dan marino had a 16 year career, how many SBs did he play in?
farveanother 16 + year career, what 2 superbowls?
and didnt sdome team end up beating farve because they were able to run the ball?

MOtorboat
08-02-2012, 03:18 PM
and didnt sdome team end up beating farve because they were able to run the ball?

MOtorboat
08-02-2012, 03:19 PM
It's exciting to have two top of the line pass rushers on one team. Really exciting.

BroncoJoe
08-02-2012, 03:20 PM
It's exciting to have two top of the line pass rushers on one team. Really exciting.

Unless your name is Zam.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2012, 03:26 PM
playing with the lead?
I guess we expect to win every coin toss?

Seriously? You think that the other team is going to score every time they have the ball? You think they are going to RUN the ball that much against us?

MOtorboat
08-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Seriously? You think that the other team is going to score every time they have the ball? You think they are going to RUN the ball that much against us?

Just looking at the first half of the schedule I can tell you teams won't be running. Most teams Denver faces early on will pass, pass and pass some more. It's a sound strategy in building a team (Giants).

Ravage!!!
08-02-2012, 03:39 PM

Who beat the Colts in the Super Bowl few years back? New Orleans, did they do it running the ball?

Last year, who beat the Patriots? They didn't do it on the legs of a great runner, despite NE having a bad defense.( BTW, the Patriots made it TO the Super Bowl even though having a bad defense... why is that? )

When Indy beat Chicago, who was the better "run stopping" team, and which team had the better pass rushers?

When the Giants beat the Patriots the first time, what was the secret to beating them, the run stop or getting TO the passer?

The Packers just recently beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl. Who do you suppose had the better run stoppers, and who had the better passing game matched with the better pass rushers?

When NE beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl, who had the better passing game, and who had the better pass rushers compared to run stoppers?

Northman
08-02-2012, 03:43 PM
Playing with the lead will be as much of a factor as anything. The biggest boost to this defense is going to be Peyton Manning. It gets Joe Mays off of the field more often and puts Von on the line rushing the passer with Doom.

Indeed.

The defense is going to be like "Wow? So this is what its like to have offensive production". lol

MOtorboat
08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
Who beat the Colts in the Super Bowl few years back? New Orleans, did they do it running the ball?

Last year, who beat the Patriots? They didn't do it on the legs of a great runner, despite NE having a bad defense.( BTW, the Patriots made it TO the Super Bowl even though having a bad defense... why is that? )

When Indy beat Chicago, who was the better "run stopping" team, and which team had the better pass rushers?

When the Giants beat the Patriots the first time, what was the secret to beating them, the run stop or getting TO the passer?

The Packers just recently beat the Steelers in the Super Bowl. Who do you suppose had the better run stoppers, and who had the better passing game matched with the better pass rushers?

When NE beat the Eagles in the Super Bowl, who had the better passing game, and who had the better pass rushers compared to run stoppers?

But in 1972, the Dolphins ran the football a lot.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2012, 04:25 PM

True... I missed that

NightTerror218
08-02-2012, 05:14 PM

that crappy NE defense also lead the league in take aways.

Also SB winning teams tend to have a high number of pro bowl players too. So they are never mediocre teams.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2012, 05:35 PM
that crappy NE defense also lead the league in take aways.

Also SB winning teams tend to have a high number of pro bowl players too. So they are never mediocre teams.

I have NO idea where you are going with this, as it has NOTHING to do with my post....but....

What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

The takeaways come from the opposing team having to pass in order to keep up. You don't make it to a Super Bowl on takeaways alone. Its also why they have a lot of passing yards against them, because teams have to catch up. But their defense was KNOWN to be terrible all season long. They made up for that by scoring points and having a strong passing attack...thus teams having to pass in order to try and keep up with Brady's offense. Point is, they didn't have a strong run defense. So why didn't teams just run against them all game long if that were the case? I mean, wouldn't you want to keep the ball out of Brady's hands? Isn't that the argument on the strategy on how to beat us now, is to never throw and just run against our 'weak' DTs... keeping Manning on the sidelines?

As far as their pro-bowl players.... same thing. Pro-bowls are a popularity contest. The more success you have, could be because you have more pro-bowl "quality" players, or it could be that you have more "pro-bowl" players because of the popularity of your team's success. I mean, how many times have we seen a player voted into the pro-bowl that had a bad year, or missed most of the season due to injury, but his name alone got him pro-bowl votes? Happens all the time.

If you don't think mediocre teams make it to the Super Bowl... you obviously didn't watch the Super Bowl between the Ravens and Giants. Epitome of mediocrity. You obviously didn't see the Super Bowl between the Raiders and Bucs. Maybe you didn't notice that the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl a few years back... or that the Arizona Cardinals had a chance for a ring against the Steelers. Didn't the Bears make it to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman behind center?

Mediocre teams make it to the Super Bowl all the time. Thats the beauty of the NFL.

NightTerror218
08-02-2012, 05:48 PM
I have NO idea where you are going with this, as it has NOTHING to do with my post....but....

What comes first, the chicken or the egg?

The takeaways come from the opposing team having to pass in order to keep up. You don't make it to a Super Bowl on takeaways alone. Its also why they have a lot of passing yards against them, because teams have to catch up. But their defense was KNOWN to be terrible all season long. They made up for that by scoring points and having a strong passing attack...thus teams having to pass in order to try and keep up with Brady's offense. Point is, they didn't have a strong run defense. So why didn't teams just run against them all game long if that were the case? I mean, wouldn't you want to keep the ball out of Brady's hands? Isn't that the argument on the strategy on how to beat us now, is to never throw and just run against our 'weak' DTs... keeping Manning on the sidelines?

As far as their pro-bowl players.... same thing. Pro-bowls are a popularity contest. The more success you have, could be because you have more pro-bowl "quality" players, or it could be that you have more "pro-bowl" players because of the popularity of your team's success. I mean, how many times have we seen a player voted into the pro-bowl that had a bad year, or missed most of the season due to injury, but his name alone got him pro-bowl votes? Happens all the time.

If you don't think mediocre teams make it to the Super Bowl... you obviously didn't watch the Super Bowl between the Ravens and Giants. Epitome of mediocrity. You obviously didn't see the Super Bowl between the Raiders and Bucs. Maybe you didn't notice that the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl a few years back... or that the Arizona Cardinals had a chance for a ring against the Steelers. Didn't the Bears make it to a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman behind center?

Mediocre teams make it to the Super Bowl all the time. Thats the beauty of the NFL.

I was just stating some extra info about NE. take aways are huge when it comes to defense.

But as for mediocre some teams seem to click at the end of seasons too. Like the giants did last season.

That arizona team was good with Warner at the helm. That 2001 ravens team was good defensively. Giants were a heavy running team behind tikki barber, stout D too. The seattle team that year 2006 was good team 13-3 and top 10 defense (not really mediocre). With attempting to call all those Super bowls with mediocre teams, most of them played well that season. Most had great defenses. This years NE team was one of the few teams I have seen to have a bad defense and the offense to carry it to a win. The saints year they had a great defense too.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I was just stating some extra info about NE. take aways are huge when it comes to defense.

But as for mediocre some teams seem to click at the end of seasons too. Like the giants did last season.

That arizona team was good with Warner at the helm. That 2001 ravens team was good defensively. Giants were a heavy running team behind tikki barber, stout D too. The seattle team that year 2006 was good team 13-3 and top 10 defense (not really mediocre). With attempting to call all those Super bowls with mediocre teams, most of them played well that season. Most had great defenses. This years NE team was one of the few teams I have seen to have a bad defense and the offense to carry it to a win. The saints year they had a great defense too.

Whats your definition of mediocre? Having an above average season.. ONE season..despite the lack of talent on their team? I thought you said that Super Bowl teams have a bunch of pro-bowlers and are NEVER mediocre?? If they have so many pro-bowl players, how is it that they are only good for one year? But thats what happens. A mediocre team plays well, and has and extraordinary season. They get all the luck and the bounces, the make the right plays at the right time.....but their team prior to that year, and after that year, aren't good. Seattle, AZ, are just two recent examples off the top of my head.

The 2000 Ravens had a GREAT defense (the ONLY 'great' defense since the '85 Bears) but a horrible (HORRIBLE) offense. How is that a good team? It's not. The Giants that year were led by their defense and a very... VERY... average Kerry Collins.

The reason its hard for you to notice Super Bowl teams go to the Super Bowl purely led by their offense, is because a good offense absolutely, 100%, helps the defense. When the other team has to be in passing mode to keep up, that helps the defensive calls, the DL front, the defensive backs. Everyone is in "passing mode" without worrying about the other team running the ball. The offense dictates the play style of the other team.

Its not a coincidence that the New Orleans DBs had a tone of INTs the year they went to the SUper Bowl..because Drew Brees was putting up a TON of points and yards via the pass. Same in Indianapolis when they won the Super Bowl, and when they lost. Do you know who the Colts had on their DL? Not much when it came to DTs, but their rushing DE's were superb. Because they knew that the other team would have to pass to keep up with Manning. Notice how our D is built?

THe offense of the NE Patriots helped their bad defense because the other team had to try and keep up with their QB. The Patriots had NOOOOO pass rush, and thus the other QB was able to sit back there and throw the ball a ton... putting up a ton of yardage against them. But also having the chance/need to put the ball in the air a ton of times, thus, more INTs.

I don't think the Giants last season were a mediocre team, but I don't think they are a GREAT team either. I think they have an extraordinary QB, and that will make up the deficiencies in soooo many ways for a team.

turftoad
08-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Exactly,

Dear Zam, There were only 4 teams in the NFL that ran the ball more plays than they passed last year. All by a very, very small percentage except for guess who?? Yup, the Broncos. We had the highest percentage of run plays than anyone in the league. Our offense sucked!
Just an FYI, love ya brotha.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2012, 11:05 AM
Exactly,

Dear Zam, There were only 4 teams in the NFL that ran the ball more plays than they passed last year. All by a very, very small percentage except for guess who?? Yup, the Broncos. We had the highest percentage of run plays than anyone in the league. Our offense sucked!
Just an FYI, love ya brotha.

who were the other three?

turftoad
08-03-2012, 11:11 AM

Don't recall off the top of my head Rav. Got it in a mag at home. I'll post them when I get a chance.

NightTerror218
08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Whats your definition of mediocre? Having an above average season.. ONE season..despite the lack of talent on their team? I thought you said that Super Bowl teams have a bunch of pro-bowlers and are NEVER mediocre?? If they have so many pro-bowl players, how is it that they are only good for one year? But thats what happens. A mediocre team plays well, and has and extraordinary season. They get all the luck and the bounces, the make the right plays at the right time.....but their team prior to that year, and after that year, aren't good. Seattle, AZ, are just two recent examples off the top of my head.

The 2000 Ravens had a GREAT defense (the ONLY 'great' defense since the '85 Bears) but a horrible (HORRIBLE) offense. How is that a good team? It's not. The Giants that year were led by their defense and a very... VERY... average Kerry Collins.

The reason its hard for you to notice Super Bowl teams go to the Super Bowl purely led by their offense, is because a good offense absolutely, 100%, helps the defense. When the other team has to be in passing mode to keep up, that helps the defensive calls, the DL front, the defensive backs. Everyone is in "passing mode" without worrying about the other team running the ball. The offense dictates the play style of the other team.

Its not a coincidence that the New Orleans DBs had a tone of INTs the year they went to the SUper Bowl..because Drew Brees was putting up a TON of points and yards via the pass. Same in Indianapolis when they won the Super Bowl, and when they lost. Do you know who the Colts had on their DL? Not much when it came to DTs, but their rushing DE's were superb. Because they knew that the other team would have to pass to keep up with Manning. Notice how our D is built?

THe offense of the NE Patriots helped their bad defense because the other team had to try and keep up with their QB. The Patriots had NOOOOO pass rush, and thus the other QB was able to sit back there and throw the ball a ton... putting up a ton of yardage against them. But also having the chance/need to put the ball in the air a ton of times, thus, more INTs.

I don't think the Giants last season were a mediocre team, but I don't think they are a GREAT team either. I think they have an extraordinary QB, and that will make up the deficiencies in soooo many ways for a team.

I wont argue that a great scoring offense the defense. But i a think that a crappy defensive team will no win a SB. I was shocked NE made it to the SB with that defense. But it did step up in the post season when it got its original secondary starters back from injury.

Also the NE had arguably the same pass rush (stats wise) then we did, both teams had 20 between 2 players. They also mad more sacks over the season then we did too. They had 2 players in double digit sacks last season. Their defense also gave up a lot of yards, got a lot of turn overs but did not give up huge amount of points per game either. I do not think their defense is as bad as the stats say. TO are a huge stat for a defense and impact a game so much.

As for mediocre, I think that as a team with a couple pro bowlers and are average across the board in stats and in record. A team who has the right chemistry and are clicking (like the sea-chickens a few years ago did really well), I think that team was better then mediocre that season. But since rosters are always changing so small personnel changes and roster changes can change a team year after year.

As for last season giants, I think the only reason they were 9-7 is because they lost their starting LBs last preseason. They will be much better this season.

MOtorboat
08-03-2012, 12:05 PM

I know Houston and Jacksonville, but I can't remember the third. I've seen this as well.

turftoad
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM

Here you go Rav.

Broncos. 46 pecent pass 54 percent run. Had to do it for Tebow.
Texans. 48 pass 52 run. They have Foster, makes sense.
Jags. 49 pass 51 run. No QB, makes sense.
Dolphins. 47 pass 53 run. Again, no QB.

gregbroncs
08-03-2012, 03:04 PM
Here you go Rav.

Broncos. 46 pecent pass 54 percent run. Had to do it for Tebow.
Texans. 48 pass 52 run. They have Foster, makes sense.
Jags. 49 pass 51 run. No QB, makes sense.
Dolphins. 47 pass 53 run. Again, no QB.So basically teams with crappy QB's run more than pass.

turftoad
08-03-2012, 03:17 PM
So basically teams with crappy QB's run more than pass.

Looks like. Unless you an Arian Foster for an RB.

Ravage!!!
08-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Looks like. Unless you an Arian Foster for an RB.

Well, last year AJ Yates QBd most the season.

underrated29
08-03-2012, 05:57 PM
So basically teams with crappy QB's run more than pass.

You play to your strengths. If you have peyton manning, you let him have the ball. If you have foster, gotta let him have it. If you have curtis painter and donald brown- well, you end up with the 1st overall pick.

Chef Zambini
08-04-2012, 03:50 AM
I dont care if we never run the ball again, as long as we win.
i dont care if we are the 32nd best team against the run as long as we win.
winners look at the scoreboard,
losers look at the stat sheets.
but, my friends,
I think our opponents will do everything they can to keep PM on the sidelines and off the field. Most will try to accomplish that by running the football.
if after our first 4 games, running the ball against the broncos proves to be an effective means of controling the clock and winning the game, I think every team we face will look to duplictae that result.
what good is a pass rusher if the opponent is not passing?
I appreciate all your examples, and well documented arguements, but...
a one demensional offense, or a one demensional defense, is just a team wating to get beat when the games matter most.
aaron rogers had the single greatest season EVER recorded by a QB!
his TD to INT ratio was almost 7 to 1, thats rediculous !
but that dominant passing attack didnt take home the trophy, did it.
I am genuinly concerned about a defense that thinks it is going to be playing the pass all game and all season long.