PDA

View Full Version : When looking for defensive tackles, Broncos' Jack Del Rio says bigger is better

Denver Native (Carol)
08-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Looking back, it brings a small smile to Kevin Vickerson's face.

But when the Broncos defensive tackle met first-year defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio this offseason, Del Rio dispensed with the usual how-are-you openers and went right to the, well, bottom line.

"I didn't know what to expect or anything like that, but I went in Coach Del Rio's office and the first thing he said to me was, 'Your butt is too small.' I guess I knew right then things would be different.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21214190/when-looking-dts-broncos-jack-del-rio-says

Ziggy
08-02-2012, 01:23 PM
It's about time. When the Broncos announced that they were going to the 'lighter, faster' defensive tackles last season I about threw up in my mouth.

Traveler
08-02-2012, 01:35 PM
It's about time. When the Broncos announced that they were going to the 'lighter, faster' defensive tackles last season I about threw up in my mouth.

Wonder when the Broncos website will update player data? From reading various articles, most, if not all our DT's weigh 300 lbs or more. The two biggest being Vickerson (330) and Siliga (330).

Can't wait for the first pre-season game!

Ziggy
08-02-2012, 01:42 PM
I'm curious to see how much time Manning gets in the preseason. It's a double edged sword. He didn't play last season, so you might expect him to get more time than usual. On the other hand, more time means more chance of injury.

NightTerror218
08-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Read Wolfe is up to 300

Jsteve01
08-02-2012, 07:48 PM
It's about time. When the Broncos announced that they were going to the 'lighter, faster' defensive tackles last season I about threw up in my mouth. agreed

UnderArmour
08-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Did you already forget the years when we had no DTs? Last year was pretty good all things considered. I'll take anyone who can play regardless of size. Hell, I'll still take anyone who won't embarrass themselves out there. If you already forgot how bad it was though, I'm jealous.

hotcarl
08-03-2012, 08:17 AM
post pics of his his butt tia

Chef Zambini
08-03-2012, 10:49 AM
who can compete with the butt avatar from nigt terror?

Cugel
08-03-2012, 11:21 AM
Did you already forget the years when we had no DTs? Last year was pretty good all things considered. I'll take anyone who can play regardless of size. Hell, I'll still take anyone who won't embarrass themselves out there. If you already forgot how bad it was though, I'm jealous.

Ain't THAT the truth?

I'm permanently scared by memories of duds past: like Amon Gordon, Anthony Kennedy, Antwon Burton, Sam Adams, Dewayne Robertson, Jamal Williams, Ron Fields, etc.

I will believe in a GOOD set of DTs when I see them actually perform. Right now, the Broncos are horribly thin at quality DTs. Warren hasn't played since 2009. Vickerson and Mitch Unrein are scrubs. Bannan is old and a re-tread. I'd be very surprised if he has much left. Wolfe is a rookie and it takes a while to learn to play in the NFL.

I hope Del Rio gets these scrubs and rejects together and playing as a unit. If he can do that I'm going to support him for coach of the year!

TXBRONC
08-03-2012, 11:43 AM
I'm curious to see how much time Manning gets in the preseason. It's a double edged sword. He didn't play last season, so you might expect him to get more time than usual. On the other hand, more time means more chance of injury.

Manning will probably be handled the same way he would have if not missed all of last season.