PDA

View Full Version : broncos mail bag

Lonestar
07-22-2009, 11:40 PM
Gloomy Broncos forecasts draw challenge Online Chatter

The Broncos Mailbag with NFL reporter Mike Klis, The Denver Post

Bleak is the word. Is it possible that the Broncos could be as bad as most of the sportswriters (including The Post's) are predicting?

Carl, Aurora
Mike Klis: I don't think there's ever been a time when two hometown columnists, in this case Dave Krieger and Woody Paige, forecasted the Broncos to go 5-11 and 6-10, respectively, on back-to-back days. Woody's pessimism was particularly jolting because he generally looks at the sky and sees warm, homemade apple pie.

The lack of faith among the locals and national pundits alike generally stirs from five factors: The firing of long-time and mostly successful head coach Mike Shanahan; replacing him with a young, first-time head coach in Josh McDaniels; the embarrassing McJaygate episode that led to the departure of Pro Bowl quarterback Jay Cutler; the general perception the Broncos didn't do enough to beef up their defensive front; and a seemingly arduous schedule.

But if your preference is apple pie, here are some reasons to believe the Broncos will exceed their pallid expectations:

The defense, through greater mass upfront and at linebacker, an impressively rebuilt secondary, a switch to a new 3-4 system and a new set of coaches, should be markedly improved this season.

The offense will have greater balance, thanks to the addition of Knowshon Moreno, Correll Buckhalter and a healthy Peyton Hillis.

And finally, people, remember McDaniels took over a team that wasn't all that bad last year.
High hopes.

Do you think the Broncos can win the Super Bowl this year?

Uleah, Centennial

Mike: Stranger things have happened - like the Arizona Cardinals getting to the Super Bowl and the Miami Dolphins making the playoffs last year. And I do believe the Broncos will be considerably better than many people think. But let's wait until we observe the Broncos at Cincinnati in the season opener and the following week against Cleveland in the home opener before seriously contemplating whether the home team can play Feb. 7 in Miami.

Bigger is better. True or false: The Broncos' D-line will have a hard time stopping the run against any solid NFL team.

Jacques, Denver

Mike: Perhaps. There will be times when solid running teams have their moments against the Broncos this year. In general, though, the Broncos will be vastly improved against the run this year. Their front line, while largely anonymous, will be bigger.

Remember, if the Broncos are just average in defending the run this year, they'll be much improved from the previous two seasons.

Run for it. With the plethora of running backs on the Broncos roster, is it Moreno's job to lose?

Rudy D., Plano, Texas

Mike: It's Moreno's job, period. The first running back selected in the draft, as Moreno was when the Broncos nabbed him with their No. 12 overall pick, is expected to have a big rookie season.

A big year for Moreno, though, could be 800 yards rushing and

500 yards receiving. McDaniels' offense, remember, will predominantly operate out of the shotgun. Not many shotgun- oriented teams have 25-carry- a-game tailbacks.

Back-seat quarterbacks. Peyton Hillis is back. Knowshon Moreno looks good. Jay Cutler's out; Kyle Orton's in. Orton had Greg Olsen and no company in Chicago; now that's what Cutler has. I'm predicting a Ryan Leaf scenario: all talent but no knowledge for Cutler.

How do you feel it will turn out for both QBs?

Christopher,

Yokota Air Base, Japan

Mike: I wouldn't call your question Air Force quick, but it was fun to follow. I envision a scenario in which Cutler has some big games early for the Bears, but gets increasingly frustrated with their run-first offensive design and Chicago weather as the season goes along. And I can see Orton enduring bouts of inconsistency early as he adapts to McDaniels' new offensive system, but improving to exceptional as the season goes along.

Not so fast

What's up with Brandon Marshall? Should I buy his jersey or wait until he lands in camp? What's next?

Tim, Portland, Ore.

Mike: Marshall said he would report to training camp, presumably (with the rookies) Monday, though I'd wait a few weeks before buying his jersey. The receiver would still like to be traded. While the team has no intention of dealing Marshall, something tells me he has at least one more public fuss in him before training camp concludes.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9839400/Gloomy-Broncos-forecasts-draw-challenge-Online-Chatter

Lonestar
10-15-2009, 04:31 PM
Jesse from Brooklyn anticipates award-winning performance by McDaniels
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/13/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag on Tuesdays during the 2009 NFL season.

Pose a Broncos- or NFL-related question for the Broncos Mailbag.

Is it too early to name coach of the year?
-- Jesse, Brooklyn, N.Y.

Jesse - Yes, although it's not too early to name the leading candidate for coach of the year. If the vote were held today, Josh McDaniels would be a unanimous choice. Let's look at the other four undefeated coaches through Week 5: New Orleans' Sean Payton, the New York Giants' Tom Coughlin, the Indianapolis Colts' Jim Caldwell and the Minnesota Vikings' Brad Childress.

Coach of the year votes usually go to new coaches who make the most immediate impact. That eliminates veterans Payton, Coughlin and Childress. That leaves Caldwell and McDaniels. Caldwell inherited a team that seemingly starts 10-0 every year, anyway, so he won't get much consideration.

McDaniels' primary competition would be the New York Jets' Rex Ryan, San Francisco's Mike Singletary and maybe Cincinnati's Marv Lewis given the Bengals turnaround.

But the fact McDaniels was so widely persecuted like no other rookie coach before coaching his first game makes him, as we discuss today, a breakaway layup for the award. But it's still way too early. Way. They don't give awards to coaches who don't make the playoffs. The Broncos have to reach the postseason, first.

Is it too early to place Elvis Dumervil near the top of the list for potential defensive player of the year candidates?
-- Ben Sears, Chicago

Ben - Yes, yes, 11 more times yes, it's too early. Besides, with all due respect to Dumervil, my nomination from the Broncos for top defensive honor would be Brian Dawkins. I've said this before and I'll say it again: Television does not do justice to Dawkins' play. You have to watch him live

The Broncos' Josh McDaniels improved to 5-0 as an NFL head coach with an overtime victory Sunday against the Patriots. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)to understand the energy he brings to his defense, and the intimidating presence he poses to the enemy offense. Besides those intangibles, Dawkins remains a crushing tackler who still has great range.
If this 3-4 Broncos defense was built around anyone, it's Dawkins.

Are people really buying these ugly brown and mustard yellow throwback uniforms the NFL is pushing on us? They look like they were made from a 1950s Salvation Army rag bag.
-- Dan Nace, St. Louis

Dan - Speaking of Salvation Army, you should have seen the matching, mustard-gold sports coat and fedora Broncos' P.R. man Dave Gaylinn wore for the occasion Sunday. My review of the uniforms: If they removed the vertical stripes from the socks and made them a solid color -- either all brown, or, more likely, all gold -- they would look sharp. Mustard and brown aren't Broncos colors, and here's hoping they will never be. But I like the helmet with the numerals. I like the jerseys. The vertical stripe socks, though, give a plaid on plaid, or plaid on stripes to the entire uniform look. It's a little too odd for most tastes.

Yet, according to Broncos spokesman Jim Saccomano, the throwback merchandise, in all its striped-mustard glory, is flying off the shelves. It just goes to show that when it comes to fashion, it's not necessarily the look but that the look is different -- and worn by cool people. The Broncos are winning, and so mustard and brown are groovy.

Not

Submit a Question
Speak up by sending your Broncos- or NFL-related question to Mike Klis
many years ago, didn't we field a defense that was stellar to start but faded badly as the season progressed? What will make it different this year with our brutal schedule? Scheme, personnel, training, luck?
-- KB, Kodiak, Alaska
KB - You speak about the 2006 defense. Through the first six games that season, the Broncos were allowing a league-best 7.3 points per game. They are ranking a league-best 8.6 points per game now.

So, yes, we have seen this before, and not that long ago. Caution comes from the final 10 games of the 2006 season, when the Broncos allowed a league-high 26.1 points.

While the Broncos aren't going to surrender less than double-digit points a game the rest of the season -- too many competent-to-potent offenses are ahead on their schedule -- don't expect a 2006-like kind of collapse, either.

For several reasons. One, this defense plays a unique 3-4 scheme that is far more aggressive than the 4-3 defense Mike Shanahan employed in 2006. Two, this team has Brian Dawkins; that team didn't. Three, the 2006 defense was never the same after middle linebacker Al Wilson suffered what turned out to be a career-ending neck injury in Game 12 against Seattle -- otherwise remembered as Jay Cutler's NFL debut.

Funny, how a franchise's watershed moments were timed. Cutler essentially began his Broncos career the same day Wilson was finished. And Cutler was essentially finished with the Broncos on the same day (Feb. 28) the team introduced the newly signed Dawkins at a press conference.

For the last two weeks, we've seen Broncos on local-television feeds. I'm stoked out here in NYC. Part of the new style of Broncos football is what they call the "wild horse" formation. Could you explain about this new style we're seeing in the Broncos offense? BTW, when was the first time they executed the wild-horse formation?
-- Dro, New York

Dro - Until the Broncos broke out the formation Sunday, the "wild horse" was known as the "wildcat." It's actually not a new twist, but a very old formation. We're talking way back in the leather helmet-no facemask days. Back then, they called it the single wing. It was a shotgun snap to the quarterback, who was really more of the team's star running back, back then. And it's a shotgun snap to the star running back now.

The "wildcat" came back into vogue a few years ago when Darren McFadden was playing at Arkansas. Then last season, the Miami Dolphins created buzz by using the "wildcat" with running back Ronnie Brown.

Michael Vick has essentially been a "wildcat" quarterback for years. So the offense is hardly unique, even if it's the first time the Broncos used it as a consistent part of their game-opening package.

Can we look forward to Spencer Larsen's return to the lineup as the FB in short-yardage situations?
-- Christian Cox, Fort Worth, Texas

Christian - Maybe you have the answer to the Broncos' lone consistent weakness this year -- third-and-inches. They've tried power packages with three tight ends and guard Russ Hochstein as a lead fullback. They've tried Knowshon Moreno from a single-back set. Too often, third-and-inches has been the Broncos' drive killer.

Perhaps, Larsen, who has been out since wrenching his shoulder after slipping on the Cincinnati training-room floor minutes prior to the season opener, can provide that 6-inch push the Broncos have been lacking. Expect him back after the bye in Week 7.

Mike - It's been driving me crazy. Is Knowshon Moreno's last name pronounced Mo-RAY-no or Mo-REE-no? Announcers have been saying both ways all season, and last week Joe Buck said it one way and Troy Aikman would say it the other.
-- David Zamarripa, Golden

David - It's Mo-RAY-no. The confusion derives from, first, the spelling of Moreno's name -- the vowel in question is an "e," not an "a." And secondly, pronunciation guides used in his team media guides over the years have listed Mor-EE-no. The Broncos are in the process of correcting the pronunciation of Mo-RAY-no's name.

Mike Klis

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13547856?source=rss#

Lonestar
10-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Relationship between hoodies and victories intrigues Peter from Denver
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/06/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag on Tuesdays during the 2009 NFL season.

Am I the only one who has noticed that Josh McDaniels is 0-3 with the hoodie (the first three preseason games) and 5-0 without (including the final preseason game)? I think you guys at The Denver Post should look into that.
-- Peter, Denver

Peter - Thanks to this mailbag, no trend is considered too meaningless for The Denver Post. Our research department has determined your numbers are a little off, Peter. McDaniels did not wear a hoodie in the first preseason loss against San Francisco. And he did wear a hoodie Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.

Thus, the correct numbers are 1-2 with the hoodie, 4-1 without -- counting preseason, which no one does. Regardless, whether it's about a disgruntled star quarterback who gets his wish to be traded, or a disgruntled star receiver who doesn't get his wish to be traded, or who to select in the draft, or what to wear on game day, it should be obvious by now that while McDaniels appreciates all advice, he's going to do things his way.

I noticed that the end-zone paint jobs didn't have the normal logo and Broncos wording in them but instead had just the stripes from the old AFL days. Is this how the end zone is going to be painted for the rest of the season or was it "special"?
-- Roushell, Amarillo, Texas

Roushell - If you're going to have a party, you've got to decorate. The "old school" end-zone looks are part of the team's 50th season anniversary celebration. Invesco Field end zones had single diagonal stripes in the first home game. There were crossing stripes added for the second game.

For the game Sunday against the New England Patriots, the Broncos will be wearing their 1960

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels improved to 1-2 donning the hoodie following Denver's 17-10 victory over Dallas on Sunday — "counting preseason," says Mike. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post)uniforms -- brown helmets with the numerals on the side, mustard gold and brown jerseys, brown pants with white piping and vertical-striped, mustard and brown socks. The Patriots will be wearing their early 1960s, red, white and blue look with the Minuteman logo on their helmet. The Minuteman helmet, by the way, is the favorite of former Denver Post Broncos beat writer Bill Williamson.
Hey, Mike. Are there any Rockies fans on the Broncos? If so, who? Thanks.
-- Jeff R., Denver

Jeff R. - Now that Dre' Bly and Jay Cutler are no longer with the team, I would say Tony Scheffler is the biggest baseball fan among Broncos players, although he loves the Tigers. Scheffler hit .293 in three years at Western Michigan.

Ryan Harris is a big Minnesota Twins fan, having gone to the same high school as Joe Mauer. I'm guessing Scheffler and Harris will be paying attention to the Tigers-Twins' "play in" game today at the Metrodome before they start getting serious about the Rockies.

Broncos chief operating officer Joe Ellis got his professional start working concessions at Fenway Park. The biggest Yankees fan in Colorado is Broncos' media relations boss Jim Saccomano. Backup quarterback Chris Simms also loves the Yanks. They all follow the Rockies with interest.

Mark Thewes, Josh McDaniels' right-hand man, was a four-year starting shortstop at Miami (Ohio) University, and hopes to attend one of the Rockies' playoff games at Coors Field.

Submit a Question
Hey, Mike. Do you want to say, "I told you so," to those pundits who said you were crazy to predict more than four wins for the Broncos this season? They already have four!
-- Ian, Iowa

Hey, Ian - Want to have a catch?

Mike - Who has the advantage in the New England game -- the pupil or the master?
-- Matt, Pagosa Springs

Matt - In terms of putting together a game plan, I'm thinking Josh McDaniels knows more about Bill Belichick than Belichick knows about McDaniels. In theory, the teacher only knows what he knows. The pupil knows what the teacher knows, plus a few other lessons he's learned elsewhere.

On the flip side, it's the pupil who holds the teacher in reverence -- not the other way around. Consequently, any competition between mentor and protégé usually means more to the protégé. McDaniels has proven to be extremely smart, but he has to be careful he doesn't try to become overly intelligent this week.

Mike - I've been very impressed so far with our front seven. We knew our secondary would be good, but I'm shocked at how well we've tackled and held up at the line of scrimmage. Do you think, based on what you've seen, that we really have what it takes up front to hold up through this murderous next part of the schedule against some of the top offenses in the league?
-- Andy, Monterey, Calif.

Andy - You bring up a great point. More and more, the best teams aren't necessarily winning Super Bowls because the NFL season has increasingly become a battle of attrition. The Broncos are clearly stronger and better conditioned than in past seasons -- they have outscored opponents 46-7 in the second half this year.

But in general, championships are won by the good teams that stay the healthiest. This is why the proposal to expand the regular season to 18 games is a bad deal for the players. I understand the league wanting to reduce the number of preseason games -- everybody does. But too many players from the 12- and 14-game seasons are suffering senior citizens. Imagine the future pain a player from the 18-game era will endure.

Mike - If Brandon Marshall finishes the season without a new contract -- and provided there are no changes to the current CBA -- he becomes a restricted free agent, correct? If so, and assuming the Broncos keep him, how does the contract work? Is the current contract simply extended (if so, how much money for year four and five?), or do they then go to battle on reaching new terms?
-- Alex Adams, Burley, Idaho

Alex - A team can offer various, one-year tender levels to their restricted free agents. In Marshall's case, the Broncos would likely offer him the highest tender, which would pay him a $3.043 million salary for next year. Other teams can also bid on Marshall by submitting more lucrative offer sheets, but those teams would not only have to pay Marshall the larger contract, but also surrender their 2010 first-round and third-round draft picks to the Broncos.

The Broncos, in turn, would have the right to match any contract offer submitted by another club and keep Marshall (but not the draft picks).

Ultimately, the Broncos know restricted free agency won't be an option in retaining Marshall. Given his holdout during the past offseason, the Broncos will have to give him a more lucrative, long-term contract extension following this season, trade him, or let him leave via restricted free agency. There's no way he's coming back on a one-year, $3.043 million deal.

I read an article recently listing our beloved Elvis Dumervil as underpaid. Made it seem as if it were inevitable that he would leave Denver after his contract runs out after this season. Any word on any contract talks to keep him in a Broncos uniform?
-- Dante, Oklahoma City

Dante - No, but they're coming. What could Dumervil command on the open market? Let's compare him to two players -- Dwight Freeney (a smaller-sized defensive end in the 4-3) and Terrell Suggs (a pass-rushing outside linebacker in the 3-4). Freeney averages .706 sacks per game (75 1/2 in 107 games) and will have collected $37.72 million over the past three seasons. Suggs, who averages .555 sacks per game (55 1/2 in 100 games), is just starting a six-year deal with a $38 million guarantee. Dumervil averages .694 sacks per game (34 in 49 games).

Mike Klis
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_13491742

Lonestar
10-21-2009, 10:15 PM
Brad from Las Vegas lauds owner's decision to hire McDaniels as head coach
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/21/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag on Tuesdays during the 2009 NFL season. This week's Broncos Mailbag posts Wednesday due to the Monday night game at San Diego.

What did Pat Bowlen know about Josh McDaniels that no one else did? What were Bowlen's sources to make him such a genius? Was Bowlen ever afraid of the Bill Belichick branch of coaches that has not done so well? We easily could have hired one of the four winless new coaches.
-- Brad Byers, Las Vegas

Brad - To think people like me thought Steve Spagnuolo was the more logical heir to Mike Shanahan's kingdom at Dove Valley.

The Broncos' initial interest in McDaniels derived from a desire to tap into the success Bill Belichick had attained in New England. Why in this era of NFL parity were the Patriots so good every single season? There was clearly a formula in New England that no other franchise was using. In McDaniels, Bowlen was hoping to find the secret.

Bowlen also thought his team's two biggest stars, Jay Cutler and Brandon Marshall, needed more of a heavy-handed guidance. They were immensely talented but also immature. It was questionable whether Cutler and Marshall had the makeup -- if left undeveloped -- to lead a team to the promised land.

Yes, it's ironic that a big reason why McDaniels got the Broncos' job was the way he helped mentor Tom Brady from very good to record setter, and Matt Cassel from benchwarmer to 11-5. Bowlen thought he would help bring Cutler to the next level.

Another reason why McDaniels got the job: His only interview with Bowlen and the Broncos' search committee that included Jim and Jeff Goodman, Brian Xanders and Bowlen's right-hand man Joe Ellis. It was a two-hour meeting at a hotel

With Josh McDaniels as his coach, Broncos owner Pat Bowlen, above, has watched his team race to a 6-0 record. (Denver Post file photo)in Providence, R.I. McDaniels opened his presentation with how he would rebuild the Broncos' defense. He later had a 5 1/2-hour sitdown with Ellis at another hotel in Providence.
And the rest, my friend, is 6-0.

Mike - With the Broncos' bye week upon us, I'm curious. Why doesn't the NFL simply schedule all of the byes within a two-week period in the middle of the season? Half of the AFC and half of the NFC on bye during Week 8 or Week 9, and the other half the following week? This would still allow all networks to have games, and maybe allow us to see teams we wouldn't normally see. Sure, it would be tougher to create the schedule, but wouldn't it be fairer for all teams involved?
-- Jim Balcerovich, Colorado Springs

Jim - I like your idea because of the last point you made -- the issues should always be about fairness. I've always thought teams with byes closer to the middle of the season -- as was the case with the Broncos in 2005 when they finished 13-3, and again this year -- have an advantage over teams whose off weeks are either very early, or relatively late in the season.

Injuries are a huge factor in the NFL. My unscientific, but logic-based study says a bye too early increases the possibility of bodies getting beaten down late. And a bye too late increases the possibility of midseason injury.

The team that really got the shaft was the Houston Texans. Because of Hurricane Ike, they had to take their bye in Week 2 last season. This year, the Texans don't have their bye until the last possible week -- Week 10. That's 24 games between byes -- and a tough draw for former Broncos good guy Gary Kubiak.

Has Kyle Orton's arm gotten stronger? To me, it looks like he has more zing on his passes the last two games. Before he appeared to lob his passes and had no zip on anything.
-- Clint Petersen, Iowa

Clint - The difference you see may have something to do with Orton throwing without a glove on his right hand. He wore the glove the first four games to protect his injured right index finger; he hasn't worn it in the last two games.

I also think you are seeing a more confident quarterback, a quarterback who has become increasingly more familiar with a new offensive system, and a quarterback who has been more accurate. The more comfortable a quarterback feels, the more he's able to let 'er rip.

G'day, Mike. My brother and I are heading to the U.S. in a couple of weeks, and we have tickets to the Baltimore game and then the Monday night game against Pittsburgh. Do you know of any supporter groups that gather at Denver away games? And what can you suggest we do and/or go in Denver to make sure the experience of a Broncos game on Monday night is one to remember?
-- Anthony Gwynne, Melbourne, Australia

Anthony - A Bronco bar in Baltimore? Can't find one, mate. The closest Broncos bar I can find is the Penn Quarter Tavern in Washington D.C., which is roughly 40 minutes away. There is a Broncos meet-up at a bar called "Chiefs," of all things, which is just north of San Diego; at the 45th Street Pub in Portland, Ore., at the Busby's East in Los Angeles; the Butterfield 8 in New York City; Fox & Hound Pub & Grille in Tucson, Ariz. To name a few.

As for the local watering holes, I prefer the Blake Street Tavern (even if it has found its niche in catering to fans of visiting teams) and Sports Column myself. Just ask the cabbie for the Lower Downtown area. But nothing beats the experience of being there. At the game, in the stadiums. No bar can beat the stadium atmosphere.

Do you think Denver gets no respect because of the low expectations set up at the beginning of the year by sports writers and, of course, people like me?
-- Dave, California

Yep, I think that's it, Dave. I couldn't believe that after the Broncos beat the Cowboys and Patriots in back-to-back weeks, the wise guys in Vegas made the Chargers a four-point favorite Monday night.

It should have been a push; maybe make the Chargers a one-point favorite. At most, give the Chargers three points for home field, which signals the teams are evenly matched on a neutral field.

But four points imply the wise guys still thought the 2-2 Chargers, everything being equal, were a better team than the 5-0 Broncos.

I didn't get it, but the wise guys have been correct often enough for me not to dispute it, either. The line keeps influencing my weekly picks. When will I learn? I have to start realizing that when it comes to the 2009 Broncos, the wise guys are idiots. Not that they're alone.

Why were the Broncos uniforms different Monday night?
-- Amberly, South Carolina

Amberly - I had heard the mail travels slow in South Carolina. The Broncos and five other charter members of the old American Football League are celebrating their 50th season anniversary this year. Thus, teams like the Broncos and San Diego Chargers have been wearing their throwback uniforms from the early '60s.

Once upon a time, the Broncos wore vertical-striped socks. Once upon a time, the Broncos' team colors were mustard gold and brown; white and brown on the road. And while the Broncos were 2-0 in their throwback uniforms, I believe I speak for many when I say that come the Baltimore game, it will be good to see the Broncos in their well-coordinated, non-vertically challenged, blue and orange, again.

Why is it that NFL Network, ESPN and other sites are already talking about Mike Nolan for a head coaching job as quickly as next season? It's only the end of Week 6! His last head coaching stint was a bust ... and this D is CRAZY! If they finish the season out strong, wouldn't he want to stick around in a winning program?! I don't wanna see this fella one-and-done in Denver. Thoughts?
-- Ryan, Spearfish, S.D.

Ryan - Ordinarily, such talk after Week 6 is premature. But after such ill-fated hires as Jim Zorn in Washington, Raheem Morris in Tampa Bay, Eric Mangini in Cleveland, Spagnuolo in St. Louis, Tom Cable in Oakland, and maybe even Todd Haley in Kansas City, many owners not named Pat Bowlen are kicking themselves for not jumping on McDaniels when they had the chance.

Brad from Vegas isn't the only one asking: What did Bowlen know that no one else did about McDaniels? In hopes of tapping into McDaniels' formula, owners will consider Nolan, who is the most qualified head coaching candidate on the Broncos' staff. Mike McCoy, the Broncos' offensive coordinator, will also soon be entering head-coaching candidate discussions, as hopefully will Rick Dennison, the Broncos' long-time offensive line coach, and running backs coach Bobby Turner.

True, it didn't work out for Nolan in San Francisco. It didn't work out for Belichick in Cleveland, either. Had New England not given Belichick a second chance, McDaniels might not have received a first chance.

Does Broncos coach Josh McDaniels' success reflect negatively on former coach Mike Shanahan's value to become a head coach in 2010 for another organization?
-- Mike, Denver

Mike - I'd hire Shanahan in a minute, although I think he's shrewd enough to realize he has to change some of the ways he runs an organization. For starters, Shanahan has to be more attentive in interviewing prospects at the NFL Scouting Combine. One of my initial observations regarding McDaniels' first draft class is most of his rookies seemed like the type who actually went to their college classes. Smart players, it seems, translate to disciplined, team-first players.

Shanahan also has to somehow, some way, pay more attention to the defensive side of the ball. I think Shanahan will make all of these adjustments in his next coaching gig. Right now, there's not a past or current coach who isn't curious about how McDaniels so dramatically transformed his team.

Mike Klis is in his fifth season of covering the Broncos for The Denver Post

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_13602788?source=rss#

Day1BroncoFan
10-21-2009, 10:49 PM
There is a piece missing on the bye week answer. Great read though.

Lonestar
10-21-2009, 11:18 PM
There is a piece missing on the bye week answer. Great read though.

fixed thanks for noticing..

Brand
10-22-2009, 01:01 AM
Implies that Bowlen and McDanials wanted to help both Cutler and Marshall to mature and grow. Well, at least Marshall may benefit.....

Take from that what you will.....

Privately, please.....

Lonestar
10-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Woody's Mailbag: 6-0 and 10 to go
By Woody Paige
The Denver Post
Posted: 10/22/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Denver Post sports columnist Woody Paige posts Woody's Mailbag on Thursdays.

Drop a question into Woody's Mailbag, or visit The Denver Post's Sports Page.

Denver's "tough schedule" is starting to look a lot easier, considering the state of the Chiefs, the Redskins, and the Raiders. I see the Broncos potentially hitting 12 wins, as the Steelers and the Ravens have both proved vulnerable. What are your thoughts?

-- Jesse D. Forrer, Colorado Springs

Jesse: As I wrote in the column for Wednesday, Josh McDaniels said you couldn't judge a schedule based on last year's results. He's right. He seems to be right about everything, and I seem to be wrong, as everyone gloats. I find it funny that people are coming out of the woodwork now claiming they had the Broncos 12-4 all along. They told all their friends (both of them). Before the season I heard from one person who was picking the Broncos 12-4. He lives in Greeley, and I thought he was a bit ill from the smell. I should start predicting the Broncos' record after the sixth game.

I do want to remind everyone I picked the Rockies to lose to the Phillies in four games, and nobody is congratulating me. It comes with the territory. Get your kicks in. I can handle it. In regard, Jesse, to 12 — count 'em — a dozen victories, the Broncos should have no problems beating Oakland and Kansas City — and probably San Diego (but don't be calling that a victory just yet) here — and they should be able to defeat Washington if it doesn't change coaches before then.

But you're smarter than me (or I), and you know that the games in Baltimore, Indianapolis and Philadelphia will be very, very difficult to win, and the games here against Pittsburgh and the Giants are not Sunday picnics. Winning at Kansas City in December has been almost impossible, even in the Elway years, because of the cold and the rain and the wind, no matter who the Chiefs are. If I were picking today, and I deserve a mulligan, as all of us do (and you who picked the Broncos 5-11 know who you are), I'd say victories at home over San Diego, Oakland and Kansas City and a road victory at Washington, and losses here against the Giants, with Pittsburgh a tossup, and losses at Indy and Philly.
Twelve would be a good bet, 11 probably a little bit better bet. Either way, the Broncos win the division. It's important that they get the home field over Indianapolis, New England, Baltimore and Pittsburgh because I don't believe they can go to any of those places and win in the playoffs. They've proven it in Baltimore and Indianapolis over the years (I know, different team). If the Broncos play at home, they can win. This year the stadium has helped, unlike in the other years since it opened. A good defense is good for a stadium advantage. It might take 13-3 to get the home field over the Colts.

Woody, Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler struggled in Denver to live up to and come out of the shadow of number 7. Has the Cutler fiasco finally given the Broncos a QB, in Kyle Orton, that isn't going to be compared to John Elway and thus given a chance to succeed?

-- Cameron, Wilmington, Del.

Cameron: Nobody will ever compare Orton to Elway, unless he's some guy from Greeley. But Craig Morton succeeded here for two seasons because he had a great defense. Orton is succeeding because he doesn't turn the ball over (that one Hail Mary interception by Randy Moss, of all people) and because he has a great defense, a line to protect him, good (and maybe great receivers) and a solid running game. Trent Dilfer said on ESPN a few nights ago you have to put Orton in the top quarterback category. But he's not Brady, Manning, the other Manning, Brees (an unbelievable year so far) and even Rivers.
He very well could make the Pro Bowl this year. Cutler proved last Sunday night he is the same in Chicago, will make great plays, will make stupid throws. Maybe that's just what he is. Orton certainly deserves credit and has turned out to be more than anybody (you know who you are; I know who I am) anticipated. Somebody wrote me and said his nickname should be "Kylo". You go with that if you want. I don't quite get it. "The Knockout Kid" (K.O.) seems better to me, but what do I know?

Hey Woody: What's the deal with the Avalanche this year? I mean, I saw goalie Craig Anderson play last year with Florida and thought he looked pretty good. I was ecstatic when he signed with us during the offseason, but we are allowing more shots on him (per game) than the Panthers were last year! Is he that good? Also, between Matt Duchene and Marek Svatos, they have the worst +/- on the team! Do you think that is directly related to them playing poor defense or, in your opinion, are there other factors involved? Do you see any chance of the Avs prolonging this success (6-1-1 so far) and playing in the playoffs?

-- Curran Speager, Alberta, Canada

Curran: When I saw that schedule (here I go again) and saw how many games the Avs had on the road at the beginning of the season, I saw no hope. Again, nobody else could have foreseen what the Avalanche have done so far. It's early. But they've played above their heads and Craig Anderson certainly is proving that he is a starting goalie in this league. The youthful exuberance has trumped experience.

Ten players on the Avs roster are 25 and younger, and they're playing two 18-year-olds for the first time in club history. No Joe Sakic, but Joe Sacco. The new coach has worked with most of these young players in the minors, and he's made the transition well. Do they make the playoffs? The second half schedule will be easier. Why not? DENVER IS A MILE HIGH! Rockies, Broncos and last year's Nuggets, and now these Avs, too. Eat your heart out, America. Detroit may be Hockeytown, but Denver is ProSportsTown USA.

Woody, when are we going to see the stat tracker on Ryan Clady? The kid has only allowed a half a sack in 21 games? I read a couple of times that this is an NFL record, but I am not seeing the coverage of this that is deserved.

-- Jeremy T., Seattle

Jeremy: Clady has given up sacks in the New England and San Diego games, so his streak without a full sack has ended. I've seen tons of coverage on his accomplishment, so I don't know what you may have missed. The Sports Illustrated writer stated on Tuesday that the Broncos have the best offensive line in the NFL, and he's probably right. That line, with Clady at left tackle and the other veterans, has been incredible. As I said, the linemen are protecting Orton; they have transitioned to some power blocking (although they are still zone-blocking), and, rag on, if you will, about Mike Shanahan, but he picked Clady No. 1 in the draft.

If Ryan and Elvis Dumervil are Pro Bowlers this year, there should be a Congressional investigation. Ben Hamilton has come back to have a big year. And Daniel Graham at tight end is blocking better than I've ever seen him block since he came over from New England. I give credit to Josh McDaniels for recognizing that Rick Dennison and Bobby Turner had to be brought back, and to Dennison, who applied for the head coaching job, for accepting his role and being willing to change some of his line's techniques and most of the technology. And Bobby Turner is the best at his job in the NFL.

There were six VERY questionable calls in the Rockies-Phillies NLDS. All went against the Rockies. Was this MLB's not so subtle way to ensure a coastal NLCS series?

-- Ken Dyer, Colorado Springs

Ken: I've been doing this for 40 years and have never found or heard of a conspiracy to get certain teams into the NBA Finals or the Super Bowl or the World Series or the Stanley Cup. Sometimes it just works out, as in the NHL finals last year, or the New England-New York Giants Super Bowl. I've known enough people in the various league's front offices who have told me, honestly, off the record, that they will, on occasion, pull for teams to get to the championships, but they would never try to influence any officials. Just think about this, Ken. So the NBA fires a referee, and if there is some kind of conspiracy, wouldn't he talk about it?

Bob Davidson, an umpire from Denver, was out of baseball for years. He didn't come out and say there is a conspiracy. If it was ever discovered that a commissioner, say, Bud Selig, tried to influence umpires, baseball would be scarred as it was in the Black Sox Scandal, and the commissioner would be banned for life and probably have to go to prison for years. Here's what's happened. There are more cameras covering the game from every angle in the playoffs, and it's proven conclusively when umpires get calls wrong, and the umpires are not generally that good, anyway.

The umpire who got the calls wrong in the Yankees game — AGAINST THE YANKEES, so where is the conspiracy? — is a close friend and one of the best umpires in the game annually, and Tim just totally messed up. Don't you think if there was a conspiracy the league would lean always toward the Yankees and the Dodgers? The Phillies won a game in Denver because of two terrible, wrong calls on the same play, but the umpiring has been bad, and calls are more pronounced these days.

Selig said he is opposed to instant replays. Baseball's already using instant replays for home run calls. They've opened that barn door. And you can change it for the World Series. No way, Selig would say. He changed the rainout rules in the World Series. It would cost too much and be too time-consuming, opponents say. A seventh umpire, say, Bob Davidson, in the press box watching TV. If there is a controversial call, nobody can come out of the dugout and argue.

The seventh umpire checks the call, and then calls the plate umpire on the cell phone in his pocket. Vibrate. Answer the phone. Wrong call, the upstairs umpire says. Play is reversed. 10 seconds. Shorter time than it takes for Joe Torre to come out. End of story. Join the 21st century, baseball, as football, basketball and hockey have done. Get 'er done, as Larry The Cable Guy would say, for the World Series. Do we really want the Series settled on yet another bad call by the umpires?

Hey Woody, what's happening?! I met you in Detroit and you were real cool. I haven't heard this mentioned once in the media but I have to believe Denver is the only 5-0 team in league history that has yet to open as the favorite. Cincy was favored by 3, Cleveland was even, Oakland by 1.5, Dallas by 3, NE by 4.5 ... and now SD by 3.5. Your thoughts?

-- Brian Dickerson, Columbus, Ohio

Brian: I met you at the Final Four, and you were really cool, or drunk. I only met about 20,000 young men who came up to say hello and were very sharp. The Broncos are now 6-0 and have been opening as the underdog every week, and will be 'dogs again in Baltimore, I think, after the bye week. But the Oakland game betting line swung to Denver's side during the week and before the game. The Broncos could have been underdogs this season in 14 games, but now probably will be favored in seven, or more, of their remaining 10 games. Stay classy, Brian

Lonestar
11-16-2009, 06:26 PM
Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag on Tuesdays during the 2009 NFL season. The next installment is slated for Wednesday, Nov. 11.

My question is for "fans" of the Broncos. Why don't these season-ticket holders who sell their tickets to the opposing team's fans give up their rights to tickets to fans on the waiting list? Monday's game against the Steelers was embarrassing. Not because of the Broncos' performance - because of the number of Terrible Towels we allowed into "our house." Give up those seats to some real Broncos fans.

David Stamps, Denver

David, I hear your concern. More important, the Broncos hear your concern. "We feel for our loyal fans on this issue," said Joe Ellis, the Broncos' chief operating officer. "But frankly there's nothing we can do about it. Our ability to control that is nonexistent and would be illegal to do so."

Passed into Colorado law last year was the right for season-ticket holders to resell their tickets to anybody they wanted at whatever price they wanted. "In fairness to them, it allows them to recapture some of their hard-earned discretionary income," Ellis said. "Having said that, it's a tough issue for our fans and our players to sit there and watch our building appear to be neutralized to some extent."

There are buy-back ticket websites and ticket brokers out there. There is Craigslist and eBay. There are scalpers. The Broncos monitor websites and are aware of ticket holders who repeatedly resell their tickets. Those people receive an occasional letter from the Broncos encouraging them, but not threatening them, to resell their seats to Broncos fans.

But if the occasional Joe and Betty Bronco fan needs to sell a pair of $125 tickets and are offered full price, are they going to first interrogate the

Count the Broncos fans in this photo from Invesco Field on Monday. (Click to enlarge.) More Broncos photos. (The Denver Post | John Leyba)customers before selling them? No, they're probably taking the cash, putting gas in their tank and paying half the utility bill.
Rather than blame Broncos fans, particularly those who are not in the ticket-gouging business, credit the movement that is Steeler Nation and Cheesehead Country. You can't stop them. You can't even contain them if the Broncos fall behind.

The crowd Monday night at Invesco Field at Mile High was still 70 to 75 percent Broncos fans. That's enough for home-field advantage. The Steelers team that played in Denver was just tough enough to overcome that advantage.

Hey, Mike. I feel like I've heard this tune before. The Broncos get off to a great start, the league adjusts to what they're doing, the Denver coaching staff fails to adjust and the Broncos tank the second half of the season, missing the playoffs by letting Philip Rivers and the Chargers pass them. The Broncos' last two games have been eerily similar: no offense, lackluster defense in the fourth quarter, very unspecial special teams. The blueprint seems to be there. Tell me why this year will be different.

Jake, Marion, Iowa

Jake, even from Iowa, you have your finger on the pulse of the Denver area. My response to you and all, however, is these are not yesterday's Broncos. What makes this Denver team different is the defense. Despite the defense's fourth-quarter struggles the past two weeks, I still think the Broncos have a strong enough unit on

Submit a Question
that side of the ball to shorten slumps by winning a low-scoring game or two.
The strength of past Denver teams was the offense. When they needed it most down the stretch, the defense of the Broncos couldn't stop anybody. The defense couldn't stop Buffalo for cripes sake.

This year's Denver defense will continue to keep games competitive until the Broncos get another lucky bounce or the offense gets out of its rut.

No doubt, the Broncos have lost some momentum. And there's no denying a 16-game season is too short to allow a slump to carry on. But the beauty of a 6-0 start is that it allows a team to absorb a two-game losing streak. So long as it doesn't become a three-game losing streak entering their game Nov. 22 against San

Linebacker D.J. Williams flips over Steelers tight end Heath Miller on Monday. But don't fear for the Denver defense. More Broncos photos. (John Leyba | The Denver Post)Diego, the Broncos are fine.

Mike, the Broncos played their third team that is coming off a bye week. I would think it gives a team an advantage against the Broncos. Not that the Chargers, Ravens and Steelers need the help.

Tom, Salt Lake City

Tom, one of those byes, against the Ravens, was negated by the fact the Broncos were also coming off a bye. But three consecutive opponents coming off byes is unusual. I remember the Chargers played a bunch of teams coming off byes in 2005 and it may not be any coincidence that was the only season in the last five years they didn't win the AFC West.

Make no mistake, schedule quirks contribute to the NFL's parity system. It's rarely discussed because it's impossible to quantify. But it's there.

Mike, have I missed something? What has happened with Brandon Stokley? Is it an injury? Living this far from my favorite team causes me to miss stuff.

Gary, Dayton, Nev.

A: Gary, Stokley did lose some early season momentum when he suffered a deep thigh bruise late in the first half of Game 2 against Cleveland. Until then, he had the 87-yard "Immaculate Deflection" to defeat Cincinnati in the season opener and a team-high five catches for 70 yards in that first half against Cleveland.

Stokley has had just four catches for 28 yards since then. The thigh injury forced Stokley to sit out all but three plays of Game 3 against the Raiders, but otherwise his playing time has been reduced through a combination of increased playing time for Brandon Marshall, who didn't play much early, and the Broncos in recent weeks going more to two-tight end than three-wide receiver sets.

Mike, I'll try to be brief. With 16 teams in each NFL conference and 16 games in a season, why do teams play teams from the other conference? Six games are division opponents, so that leaves 15 teams to fill out the remaining 10 games. I've always wondered about this.

Al Fleming, Wheat Ridge

A: Al, when the AFL and NFL merged in 1970, they decided to do just that - merge, not separate. While your idea is loaded with logic for the regular season and spice for the Super Bowl, the interconference schedule was devised in part to appease NFL franchises in Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Cleveland that were moved to the AFC for logistical balance and also to increase the chance of the league's stars rotating in to every NFL city. It would have been a shame if NFC fans in Dallas and Green Bay never had a chance to watch Peyton Manning play in person.

With the billion-dollar TV deals, new stadiums, high tickets prices, concessions, parking, etc., do you think it's time to do away with the field goal nets behind the goalposts and allow fans to go home with souvenir footballs?

Trey Moore, Bakersfield, Calif.

A: Trey, I'm with you, although the nets are raised as much for liability and safety concerns as saving the $50 wholesale price on footballs. Then again, they don't let fans keep the occasional wayward basketball. Baseballs and hockey pucks can be had for no more than $5. During a 34-31 football game, say, 11 footballs would go into the crowd. At $50 a pop, that comes out to $550 a game.

Plus, imagine the free-for-all a game-ending, game-winning field goal sailing into the South Stands would cause. Pat Bowlen might as well walk into each home game with "sue me" written on his forehead.

Lonestar
11-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Broncos Mailbag: Short passes make for long day
Nathan from Pueblo bewildered by dearth of "shots downfield" against Ravens
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 11/03/2009 01:00:00 AM MST
Updated: 11/09/2009 08:49:47 PM MST

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag on Tuesdays during the 2009 NFL season. The next installment is slated for Wednesday, Nov. 11.

Hey, Mike. Why aren't the Broncos taking shots downfield? It seems like 95 percent of their passing attempts are under 15 yards.
-- Nathan Schwalm, Pueblo

Nathan - True enough. In different words, I asked Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton that same question. He said the Ravens -- whose secondary had been suspect in previous games -- were playing their safeties particularly deep. So the Broncos tried to beat the linebackers on underneath patterns, but it seemed either the receivers struggled to shake free, or Orton didn't properly lead his receivers.

And all those screens the Broncos like to throw were snuffed out fairly quickly. This was one of those games where nothing worked for the Broncos offense.

Hey, Mike. There's been a lot of talk about the Broncos defense and the 3-4 this year, but Joe Flacco looked like a Pro Bowler. Is he a Pro Bowler, or did we have a bad day? Thanks.
-- Todd, Charlotte, N.C.

Todd - Flacco has been the quarterback surprise of this season. He didn't have near the rookie season that Atlanta's Matt Ryan had last year, but Flacco is having a much better sophomore year.

I thought the Broncos did a good job against Flacco in the first half -- he was 11 of 16, but for only 70 yards. His most impressive play was when he stayed alive on Brian Dawkins' blitz to dump the ball off to Ray Rice. But as the Broncos defense wilted in the second half, Flacco started having success downfield.

In summary, I'd say Flacco and Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger, who the Broncos play next, are in a tight race for the third Pro Bowl quarterback spot in the AFC. Peyton

After being sacked on the first play Sunday, quarterback Kyle Orton passed for only 152 yards — his longest completion was 23 yards — in a 30-7 loss to the Ravens in Baltimore. "This was one of those games where nothing worked for the Broncos offense," says Mike. (Joe Amon, The Denver Post )Manning and Tom Brady are the first two.
Mike - What do the Broncos need to fix between now and the Steelers game. The Steel's for real.
-- Edgar, Salt Lake City

Edgar - That's a pretty bold statement saying the Steelers are for real when they haven't won the Super Bowl since last season. I jest because before the Ravens' game, I went on Sirius radio and was asked a couple different ways about whether the Broncos were for real.

I was dumbfounded. I remember wondering the same thing after the Broncos were 3-0 with wins against Cincinnati, Cleveland and Oakland. But I thought victories against Dallas, New England and at San Diego in consecutive weeks were enough to eliminate all doubt as to whether the Broncos were a legitimate playoff contender.

Apparently not. And now that the Broncos lost a road game against a Ravens team that reached the AFC championship game last season, there will be even more questions about whether the Broncos are for real.

I know this is for real -- the Broncos can begin their plan to improve by plugging their special-teams leaks. It's now three consecutive games where something major went wrong with one of their special-teams units.

Pittsburgh is going to be a tough matchup because the Broncos will find it difficult putting together three or four scores against that tenacious defense. For the Broncos to win, their defense will have to force "Big Ben" into making multiple

Submit a Question
turnovers.
Mike - Perhaps I can use your forum to publicly apologize to Josh McDaniels, whom I openly criticized for both his smug demeanor and his offseason triage that, admittedly, looks now like major successful surgery to exorcise a tumor. After watching Jay Cutler mope on the Bears' bench after getting creamed by the Bengals, I'm officially in a penitent mood, and, short of visiting my priest, wanted to make things right. Josh, my humble apologies. You can wear your hoodie on my flatscreen any time.
-- Chris Hunt, Idaho Falls, Idaho

Chris - You are very brave, my son. For your sins, you must sing Gary Glitter's "Hey" song three times.

What would motivate Josh McDaniels to hire a punter (Mitch Berger) who has been dumped by so many teams? If he was such a good punter, he would not have been dropped from so many rosters.
-- Jan Leffers, Tennessee

Jan - Do you realize Brett Kern is the only member of the Broncos' season-opening roster who is 7-0? He was 6-0 with the Broncos, and they are 0-1 without him. The Tennessee Titans are 1-0 since they claimed Kern off waivers, and they were 0-6 without him.

The reason why Kern was waived was because he wasn't consistent with his hang time, or directional punting. He could wow the fans with his long, spiraling punts, but too often they carried on a low trajectory and too close to the hash marks. McDaniels doesn't want returns.

Berger was punting them too short, no doubt. But a 33-yard punt with no return was almost as good as his 53-yard punt in the fourth quarter with a 14-yard return. It just doesn't look as good. Give Berger at least one game to punt off the rust. He will be expected to perform better Monday night against the Steelers.

How will the DeMarcus Ware deal affect the signing of Elvis Dumervil? And might Brandon Marshall, Kyle Orton and Dumervil receive similar deals?
-- Christian Cox, Fort Worth, Texas

Christian - Ware's deal will affect all future pass-rusher deals because his $78 million contract with a $40 million guarantee raised the ceiling. Dumervil won't get paid like Ware, who is more of a proven, every-down force. But if Ware would have received a $50 million deal, Dumervil's contract expectations would have come in at $40 million. By getting $78 million, it's not unreasonable to expect -- what? -- a $55 million to $60 million deal for Dumervil?

All discussions regarding contract extensions, however, are premature. The Broncos won't address any deals until season's end. And even then, they may wait until they get further direction regarding the league's unsettled collective bargaining agreement.

As it stands now, Dumervil, Orton and Marshall are restricted free agents at season's end. It's unrestricted free agency that generates the financial windfall.

Hi, Mike. Love the mailbag! My question is about the Broncos' 2007 draft. Ryan Harris has been great, but the three big defensive linemen the Broncos brought in haven't done anything. Do you think there is still a chance for Jarvis Moss and/or Marcus Thomas to excel in the NFL? And how is Tim Crowder doing in Tampa? Thanks!
-- Tim Walker, Los Angeles

Tim - For a fourth-round pick, Thomas has been extremely productive. He's not starting anymore, but when he does rotate in, he's very active. Moss has only dressed for one game this year, so there's no doubt his NFL career has been a disappointment to this point. But don't give up on him yet. Sometimes it takes a player three or four or six years. When Moss does get the occasional practice rep, it's at the outside linebacker/defensive end position that Dumervil plays.

Crowder appears to have found a home in Tampa. He has been getting plenty of playing time rotating in at defensive end in the Bucs' 4-3 system. Even after not playing in the season opener, Crowder already has a career-high 17 tackles in six games. Whether Crowder can get playing time for a quality team is the next step in his career. Tampa Bay is 0-7.

Using your magical crystal ball to predict the future, which Denver players do you see being selected for this season's Pro Bowl?
-- Brett, Las Vegas

Brett - Begin with outside linebacker Elvis Dumervil. Cornerback Champ Bailey is an automatic. Brian Dawkins is the odds-on favorite to join Troy Polamalu and Ed Reed as the AFC's three Pro Bowl safeties. Left tackle Ryan Clady better make it this year.

I also think center Casey Wiegmann, right guard Chris Kuper and inside linebacker D.J. Williams should make it, although votes will be difficult because they don't get much national attention.

Brandon Marshall's numbers are down -- he's on pace for 75 catches and 814 yards, and many AFC receivers have better stats, but his 51-yard touchdown scamper against the Cowboys got so much TV time that he will get votes on that play alone.

I'm a "flatlander" and triathlete/marathoner, so I consider myself in pretty good shape. However, my physical pursuits while visiting Colorado are poor and/or painful due to altitude. There has been much more talk this year than ever before about the Broncos' second-half performance and conditioning, but rarely do I ever hear writers or commentators cite Denver's "altitude training" as a factor (also in the news again due to the Steelers' CB coming to Denver.) Is this the Broncos' unspoken, secret weapon? Why don't we hear more about this in the media?
-- Jim Murphy, Cincinnati

Jim - Thanks for your perspective. As for why you don't read more about the altitude factor, it's probably because it's an old story around here. It's not unspoken so much as us Coloradans take it for granted that we can breathe and you can't. It has been said and written numerous times that all four of Denver's major sports teams should have the greatest home-field, or home-court, or home-ice advantage in their respective leagues.

Altitude is the hardly secret weapon. It's just as Yogi Berra might put it, altitude has been talked about so much around here, nobody talks about it anymore.

Lonestar
03-07-2010, 01:16 AM
Broncos Mailbag: "Let's talk draft"
Dave from Oregon sees team taking NT, QB in first two rounds
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
POSTED: 03/04/2010 01:00:00 AM MST
UPDATED: 03/04/2010 01:40:18 AM MST

Denver Post sports writer Mike Klis posts his Broncos Mailbag in the first week of each month during the offseason.

Let's talk draft. Obviously, Denver has some holes to fill on both lines. But with Pat Bowlen's recent comments about finding a quarterback, I see Denver taking a nose tackle at No. 11 and possibly Colt McCoy in the second round if he's still on the board. What are your thoughts about this year's draft?
-- Dave, Oregon

Dave - I've always been perplexed by the enormous interest in the draft. The Broncos historically get far greater player contribution from free agency than they do the draft. Look at last year. The Broncos had two picks in the first round and three in the second. Who gave them greater production? Knowshon Moreno, Robert Ayers, Alphonso Smith, Darcel McBath and Richard Quinn? Or Correll Buckhalter, Andra Davis, Andre' Goodman, Jabar Gaffney and Darrell Reid? I didn't even mention Brian Dawkins to try and make it a fair fight. The first five generated all the buzz. The second five was all but completely ignored yet generated far greater production.

Carrying on. We'll be able to make better educated guesses about the Broncos' draft after we see what they do this week in free agency. Teams address needs in chronological order. That means free agency is first.

As we stand here today, the Broncos' greatest need is center. They don't have one. If they don't get a center in free agency, they probably won't let Florida's Maurkice Pouncey get past their second-round pick in the draft.

As for quarterback, I agree with you, Dave, the Broncos will draft one. I'm thinking somewhere in the top three rounds. McCoy? There's a lot to like except height. At 6-foot-1, he's too short for Josh McDaniels' shotgun-heavy system. Maybe, McDaniels likes him, anyway. McDaniels seems to value quarterbacks who are proven winners. And McCoy won many a big game for Texas before his shoulder gave out in the biggest of big games.
But if McDaniels overlooks height in his quarterback, wouldn't he first consider 6-2 Jimmy Clausen, who played three years for Charlie Weis, McDaniels' offensive mentor, at Notre Dame?

What do you think of the Broncos possibly drafting a quarterback in the second or third round? I'm thinking someone like Tony Pike to develop for a year behind Kyle Orton — or even possibly later in the draft, a guy like Jonathan Crompton from Tennessee. He seems like he started to develop into a legitimate prospect last year. Would love to know what you think.
-- Adam Funk, Mitchell, Neb.

Ah, quarterbacks. No wonder there's so much interest in the draft, Adam. Have you seen the free-agent crop of quarterbacks? It's much more fun to talk about Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow, Colt McCoy and Tony Pike than it is Chad Pennington, Daunte Culpepper, David Carr and Kyle Boller. Potential is always more exciting than potential realized.

Pike? I like that he's 6-foot-6. Crompton is interesting. He was largely a bum for most of his college career but then was superb in the latter part of his senior year. And I like his height (6-3 1/2). But he's a project pick, and the Broncos took one of those last year in Tom Brandstater. If they draft a quarterback this year, they will want him starting in 2011.

Hey, Mike. I am a little confused about the CBA issue going on. There isn't a lot of info coming out. And it seems to me if a football season is really in jeopardy, there should be full-scale panic. Free agents aren't being signed and business seems to be at standstill. Is there a deal in the works that will be in place by open trading March 5, or are things in worse shape than everyone is letting on?
-- Josh, Centennial

Josh - Considering there isn't a possibility of a work stoppage until 2011, a ton of information has been put out there. I think most fans say, "Who cares? Wake me when they don't play a game. Then I'll ask why."

There will be NFL play this year. Where you are dead-on, Josh, is that the labor problems ahead are leaking into this year. The biggest issue this offseason is the high number of fourth- and fifth-year players who are restricted free agents when they otherwise would have been unrestricted free agents. "Restricted" is an apt term. Unrestricted free agency provides the opportunity for a potential financial windfall that comes through the open-bidding process. In restricted free agency, the team holds the right of first refusal, and that changes everything.

The "uncapped" season rules pushed unrestricted free agency eligibility from four years of NFL service time to six years. This change has left the unrestricted free agent pool with relatively little talent.

Are the Broncos going to put in a self-imposed cap, like some teams are going to do? Or are they going to spend?
-- Everett, Phoenix

Everett - The Broncos, and presumably every other NFL team, have always worked off two financial blueprints: the salary cap, as negotiated in the collective bargaining agreement, and the cash budget, which each team controls at its own discretion.

The Broncos' "cash" budget is what's in play here. This essentially amounts to how much upfront money the Broncos can give to free agents in terms of signing bonuses. The "cash" budget at Dove Valley is stressed this year.

The salary cap, even though there isn't one this year, will create some havoc on the ability of teams this month to negotiate multiyear deals. Teams do not want to spread guaranteed money into the 2011 season because of the chance there will be a lockout. The owners don't want to pay if there's no play. So I'm guessing there will either be a larger number of one-year deals signed in free agency this year, or there will be more deals with smaller guarantees.

Whatever the financial parameters, the Broncos have a far too aggressive front office to stand by. They will figure out how to sign five or six free agents who will be counted on for serious playing time in 2010.

How "media friendly" is the NFL scouting combine? Can reporters talk with all the prospects, coaches, GMs, etc.? Thanks, Mike!
-- Adam, Denver

Adam - It's just media friendly enough to draw more and more reporters each year. You do get a 10-minute interview with each prospect. You don't get a second interview the next day. Just the one. Reporters also get a press conference with most NFL coaches and a few general managers at the combine.

I like to work the hotel lobbies more than the media center. My old friend and NFL mentor Bill Williamson taught me this trick. The lobbies have agents and coaches mingling near the Starbucks' stand. There used to be more hallway access to NFL personnel in the old setup at the downtown Indy convention center. They moved the media last year to a more secluded room at Lucas Oil Stadium. The coaches and GMs no longer have to pass by us to get to their next assigned workout.

The old setup was better for the media. The new setup is better for the coaches, execs and players. One guess as to whether the NFL will consider a return to the old setup.

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_14507877#ixzz0hT7H92jS