PDA

View Full Version : Broncos schedule - Tough or not so tough? Discuss

Tned
07-31-2012, 07:12 AM
Ok, I got into a brief discussion with Brandon Spano last night about the Broncos schedule. I said the schedule was very tough and Spano said that he didn't think it was as tough as many think. He wrote up his thoughts a while back with his rationale why the Broncos were setup to run through the schedule with a lot of W's.

GET YOUR PLAYOFF TICKETS NOW!
The Broncos schedule eerily spells success
By Brandon Spano

When the Broncos 2012 opponents were announced a few months ago, everybody looked at the list and automatically thought that Denver had a very difficult task on their hands. But as I stand here today and break down the schedule with those same teams on it, it appears to me that the Broncos are lined up for a run that we haven’t seen from the team in over a decade.

No matter how you stack it, Denver will certainly be challenged this upcoming season. But in the NFL, timing is everything. And the stars have appeared to line up right over Broncos headquarters.

At first glance, you see the Pittsburgh Steelers, Atlanta Falcons, Houston Texans, and Oakland Raiders matched up against Denver in the first four weeks. What you might not have noticed is that three out of the first four games are at home. Home field is everything in the NFL and so is momentum. This could not be more perfect for the Broncos.

The opening game on Sunday night looks to be daunting, as the Steelers travel back to Mile High for a revenge game. The Steelers should be the only ones worried. This game will be close to impossible for Pittsburgh to win...

Read the rest of Spano's breakdown here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=9718

So, what say you? Tough? Not so tough? Or, just your average, run of the mill NFL schedule?

By the way, if you don't listen to Brandon, you should. He has a great show on Mile High Sports. Typically, it's almost always dedicated to the Broncos. He has regular guests like Andrew Mason, Lindsay Jones, players or personnel from the Broncos and does a lot of fan interaction, whether reading/answering Tweets sent to him during the show, or of course phone calls if you choose to call in. He's on Mile High Sports Radio (1510 AM / 93.7 FM locally) from 8:00-10:00 PM MDT and you can listen online at http://www.milehighsports.com/?page_id=7209

Northman
07-31-2012, 07:20 AM
Would have to agree with Spano. Over the course of the years schedule has really meant very little as ive seen teams lose to what would be deemed "easy" teams and win games that no one thought they could. At the end of the day its the true "contenders" who are more consistent with their wins. They may drop a odd game here or there but for the most part if your a serious contender than you beat the easy teams along with the hard ones. If Denver is for real than they should be able to prove it on the field. We have the best QB in the division and even though the Raiders and Chiefs are improving their QB's dont scare me. The Chargers window is closing fast as they also go through a influx of changes. My biggest concern this year is winning back the homefield advantage. Win 8 games at home, hopefully pull out at the very minimum 3 on the road and we should be playoff bound.

Superchop 7
07-31-2012, 06:56 PM
The way I see it.....if Denver runs a "10" personell package.....there is no secondary that can match up with DT...Decker...Stokely...Willis on the field at the same time.....Peyton sees the mismatch.....and its go time.

BroncoWave
07-31-2012, 07:17 PM
I also don't think it's as tough as some make it out. Our toughest games are @ATL, @NE, and @BAL but I think the rest of the schedule has some winnable games on it. PIT, HOU, and NO are our toughest home games but I think we win at least 2 of those. (NO is AWFUL on the road and we should at least beat PIT or HOU). Past that I see us going 4-2 in division and winning against CIN, CAR, TB, and CLE. That would put us around 10 or 11 wins, which I think takes the West.

BroncoWave
07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Would have to agree with Spano. Over the course of the years schedule has really meant very little as ive seen teams lose to what would be deemed "easy" teams and win games that no one thought they could. At the end of the day its the true "contenders" who are more consistent with their wins. They may drop a odd game here or there but for the most part if your a serious contender than you beat the easy teams along with the hard ones. If Denver is for real than they should be able to prove it on the field. We have the best QB in the division and even though the Raiders and Chiefs are improving their QB's dont scare me. The Chargers window is closing fast as they also go through a influx of changes. My biggest concern this year is winning back the homefield advantage. Win 8 games at home, hopefully pull out at the very minimum 3 on the road and we should be playoff bound.

Agreed. If we get past Pitt and Houston early on noone else on our home schedule really scares me. The Saints stunk on the road last year and our other 5 home games are very winnable. I would be disappointed with anything less than 7-1 at home.

Tned
07-31-2012, 07:40 PM
The way I see it.....if Denver runs a "10" personell package.....there is no secondary that can match up with DT...Decker...Stokely...Willis on the field at the same time.....Peyton sees the mismatch.....and its go time.

More likely a lot of 11 & 12 personnel, I think.

Sent from my Android Xoom using Forum Runner

Davii
07-31-2012, 11:22 PM
You know, I thought our schedule was ridiculous, but this article makes a LOT of sense. I have to agree with him.

Canmore
08-01-2012, 12:13 AM
You know, I thought our schedule was ridiculous, but this article makes a LOT of sense. I have to agree with him.

He makes a lot of interesting points, but no matter how I toss it this schedule looks really tough. We have some interesting match-ups both home and away, and there are not many gimme games on the schedule. If we get through our growing pains early and pull out some home cooking, we will be all right. If we struggle early the second half of the schedule looks a little more friendly to me. Good teams make a run. If we only make one, I'll take it at the end.

FanInAZ
08-01-2012, 01:31 AM
The opening game on Sunday night looks to be daunting, as the Steelers travel back to Mile High for a revenge game.

This is a bunch of bogus hype! Even if you lose 60-0, them hanging a week 1 lose us this season doesn't equal us ending their play-offs last season.

Softskull
08-01-2012, 01:31 AM
Agreed. If we get past Pitt and Houston early on noone else on our home schedule really scares me. The Saints stunk on the road last year and our other 5 home games are very winnable. I would be disappointed with anything less than 7-1 at home.

Now, my homerism is strongest just before the preseason start, so indulge me. If we get the hurry up offense working early, we'll finally have home field advantage that we seemed to have lost with the old Mile High. We could win all eight home games, and I think we should. If we split on the road, that would be a damn fine season. Well that and a SB win.

Canmore
08-01-2012, 01:34 AM
This is a bunch of bogus hype! Even if you lose 60-0, them hanging a week 1 lose us this season doesn't equal us ending their play-offs last season.

Hype is the name of the game today. Still, Pittsburgh is going to remember their last game of the 2011 season. I'm sure they will be fired up.

FanInAZ
08-01-2012, 01:43 AM
Hype is the name of the game today. Still, Pittsburgh is going to remember their last game of the 2011 season. I'm sure they will be fired up.

Even if the Steelers are still bitter over losing to what they believed to be an inferior team lead by an inferior QB, replacing Tebow with Manning changes everything in terms of the significant of this game. Whatever statement that they might have wanted to make against the Tebow lead Broncos this year went up in smoke when Tebow was traded.

Canmore
08-01-2012, 01:50 AM
Even if the Steelers are still bitter over losing to what they believed to be an inferior team lead by an inferior QB, replacing Tebow with Manning changes everything in terms of the significant of this game. Whatever statement that they might have wanted to make against the Tebow lead Broncos this year went up in smoke when Tebow was traded.

You have a valid point. Still, The Steelers have had all off season to stew over the Denver loss. We are going to get their best effort Sunday night.

Poet
08-01-2012, 01:58 AM
Enjoy thrashing Cincinnati this year. It's going to be a classic Marvin Lewis year for us.

FanInAZ
08-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Enjoy thrashing Cincinnati this year. It's going to be a classic Marvin Lewis year for us.

Come on King, your team exceeded everyone exceptions last year. It seems to me that you have a few building blocks to build upon. You still have Andy Dalton who was impressive as a rookie QB, & that guy who did the flip over that Cards defender for a TD. Those 2 alone should give you something to look forward to this year.

Poet
08-01-2012, 02:48 AM
I understand your logic, but look at Marvin Lewis' track record. When we are supposed to suck we usually are average or playoff 'good'. When the expectations are higher and we are supposed to be good....we suck and I rage.

I'm preparing for the rage. He's my Josh McDaniels and he won't leave.

FanInAZ
08-01-2012, 03:00 AM
I understand your logic, but look at Marvin Lewis' track record. When we are supposed to suck we usually are average or playoff 'good'. When the expectations are higher and we are supposed to be good....we suck and I rage.

I'm preparing for the rage. He's my Josh McDaniels and he won't leave.

The difference between this year & previous years is before you were led by Carson “I’m guaranteed success in the NFL just because I went to USC” Palmer. Now you’re being led by Andy “I’m so grateful that you gave me a chance, even though I went to TCU, now I’m going to work my tail off to prove myself” Dalton. Not having Chad “I want everyone’s attention” Johnson at WR helps as well.

Simple Jaded
08-01-2012, 05:13 AM
This is one of, if not the, toughest schedule in the league. If the Broncos make the PO's they'll be one of the most battle tested teams.......

Tned
08-01-2012, 07:08 AM
He makes a lot of interesting points, but no matter how I toss it this schedule looks really tough. We have some interesting match-ups both home and away, and there are not many gimme games on the schedule. If we get through our growing pains early and pull out some home cooking, we will be all right. If we struggle early the second half of the schedule looks a little more friendly to me. Good teams make a run. If we only make one, I'll take it at the end.

Kind of the way I look at it. I can see the points Spano and others are making as to why we "should" be able to win a lot of those games, but that doesn't change the fact that it's a VERY tough schedule. Five or six of the first eight games are against teams that were in the playoffs last year, and some of those have probably improved their teams as well (other's may take a step back).

MasterShake
08-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Well last year I thought we would lose to San Diego on the road and destroy the Buffalo Bills. It all comes down to execution and want. Who would have guessed the 1 loss the Packers suffered in the regular season would have been to the freaking Chiefs? Trying to gauge the toughness of a schedule carries about as much weight with me as power rankings right now. I don't think teams really start to seperate themselves until December.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 09:58 AM
Every year this type of discussion occurs, and its true. On paper means just that... on paper. We dont know what kind of reality is going to happen until it happens.

But that being said, ON PAPER, we have a damn hard schedule. Pitt, Atl, Hou. Thats two teams in the AFC that are Super Bowl "favorites" from the start of the year. The other being NE....oh, what do you know, we play them too. Atl is a team that is talked about for the NFC..along with GB and Chic. NO is always a tough team to play against...although better on the road than at home. But we are playing against Brees and that offense.

Throw in 2 games against a very talented Chiefs team (who very well may be the toughest team in the division)...2 games against SD, a game against Baltimore (that is ALWAYS tough for us)...Tampa and Carolina are nothing to simply look past (no one is to be looked past in the NFL).... and this schedule is TOUGH. The first three weeks are going to be brutal test for this team, and will be the setting roadway for the rest of the year.

TXBRONC
08-01-2012, 10:38 AM

I agree a it stands right now the schedule is tough but things can and usually change once the season gets underway.

HORSEPOWER 56
08-01-2012, 11:14 AM
I agree. Schedule means nothing. Any given Sunday. For the last decade, the NFC West has been pretty much the worst division in the league... any guesses on what our record was vs them over that time period (the two times they've been on our schedule)? A whopping 2-6. In Cutler's first/Plummer's last year we only managed to beat Arizona (memories of the 60 yard Cutler to Walker TD) losing to Seattle (at home in Cutler's debut), St Louis (Game 1 where Plummer threw 3 ints), and the 49ers. In Orton's first season it was even worse, we only managed to beat the Seahawks, losing to the rookie QB led Rams at home, the 3rd string QB led 49ers in London, and the Cards - in what was probably the worst performance by a veteran starting QB ever - where their kicker and 7th round rookie QB beat us.

I'll start caring about the schedule when the teams we'll face start showing that they are as good as advertised.

Cugel
08-01-2012, 01:55 PM
Anybody who thinks the Broncos are just going to breeze through this schedule is delusional. They play most of the toughest teams in the NFL. And Peyton Manning is going to be rusty to start the season after a year off. It may take some time before the offense is all on the same page.

If the Broncos can go 3-3 their first six games they should be in good shape to make a late season run, when they get to the last 6 games (only @Baltimore looks like a loss at this point).

Just looking at this schedule I'd say 10-6 is most likely, 11-5 perfectly possible if they steal one from among the Steelers, Falcons, Texans, Patriots or Ravens games). NONE of those will be easy though.

I think this article greatly underestimates the challenge this season poses -- unless some of these teams underperforms. I don't see the Steelers, Ravens or Patriots underachieving this year though, and the Texans might well be the most talented team in the AFC.

They were on a total roll last year until Matt Schaub got hurt. I wouldn't put it past them to go to the AFC Championship game this year. That one won't be easy at all.

The Falcons figure to be a good team, we'll have to wait and see.

Meanwhile how much improved will the Panthers be with Cam Newton in his second year? He was particularly good last year for a rookie and figures to be much better this year. They could be a problem for teams.

In the division the Chiefs top to bottom are more talented than the Broncos, except that they have Matt Cassel rather than Peyton Manning. But, those games won't be cake walks either.

The Raiders can only get better than they were last season. The Chargers still have Phillip Rivers. I wouldn't count on all those teams losing both home and away against the Broncos.

Overall the division will be tight again this year unless the wheels fall off the wagon in S.D. or Oakland. Unless either Carson Palmer applies for Social Security Disability or the Chargers finally go into the tank on Norv Turner, I think they will both be in the race with the Broncos and Chiefs all season.

If we still had Tebow, I'd be picking this team to finish last in the division, but now they're the odd-on favorites.

Poet
08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
The difference between this year & previous years is before you were led by Carson “I’m guaranteed success in the NFL just because I went to USC” Palmer. Now you’re being led by Andy “I’m so grateful that you gave me a chance, even though I went to TCU, now I’m going to work my tail off to prove myself” Dalton. Not having Chad “I want everyone’s attention” Johnson at WR helps as well.

Nothing about Palmer's actions in the NFL make me think he was like that. He was a hard worker and got praise from a lot of Bengal players, past and present. Isacc Curtis, a Bengal legend and Anthony Munoz, the best left tackle the NFL has seen, gave him praise. Palmer put up with an awful front office, the worst in the league I might add, shit coaches and a locker room filled with cancer. I love that guy and Cincinnati gave him a raw deal, not the other way around.

Chad Johnson helped win us games and is a borderline hall of famer who played against Pittsburgh and Baltimore four times a year. ESPN did a good job of painting him as the problem in Cincinnati. He wasn't. Towards the end it got ugly and his holdout still irks me. However, when you watch a team who rarely gets coverage on ESPN and you have an all-pro player who wins games and gets the team positive looks...you'll see why Bengal fans love and loved him so much.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Nothing about Palmer's actions in the NFL make me think he was like that. He was a hard worker and got praise from a lot of Bengal players, past and present. Isacc Curtis, a Bengal legend and Anthony Munoz, the best left tackle the NFL has seen, gave him praise. Palmer put up with an awful front office, the worst in the league I might add, shit coaches and a locker room filled with cancer. I love that guy and Cincinnati gave him a raw deal, not the other way around.

Chad Johnson helped win us games and is a borderline hall of famer who played against Pittsburgh and Baltimore four times a year. ESPN did a good job of painting him as the problem in Cincinnati. He wasn't. Towards the end it got ugly and his holdout still irks me. However, when you watch a team who rarely gets coverage on ESPN and you have an all-pro player who wins games and gets the team positive looks...you'll see why Bengal fans love and loved him so much.

I agree with you on Palmer, but not on Johnson. Palmer has always struck me as a good person, and I LIKE Johnson( and think he's a pretty good guy) but just do not think he's a borderline HoF'er.

Poet
08-01-2012, 06:15 PM
It will be interesting to see his career in perspective after he retires. I just know that the guy was right behind TO, Moss and Harrison during his era.

But I'm taking this off-topic, I apologize. The Broncos are going 12-4. People forget that they're a tough team on paper right now just like every else is.

Simple Jaded
08-01-2012, 09:27 PM
I think the quality of QB's is what makes the schedule tough regardless of whether this is Aug 1st or Sept 1st/2011 or 2012. R-berger, Brady, Brees, Palmer, Phylis, Ryan, these QB's make their team a formidable opponent on paper and in reality. What makes it even tougher is the fact that Denver plays these teams early when teams are presumably fresh and the Broncos will still be transitioning back into an offense from this decade.

This schedule is a bitsh.......

Canmore
08-02-2012, 02:01 AM
I think the quality of QB's is what makes the schedule tough regardless of whether this is Aug 1st or Sept 1st/2011 or 2012. R-berger, Brady, Brees, Palmer, Phylis, Ryan, these QB's make their team a formidable opponent on paper and in reality. What makes it even tougher is the fact that Denver plays these teams early when teams are presumably fresh and the Broncos will still be transitioning back into an offense from this decade.

I feel that when the end of 2012 rolls around we will look back and say that was a demanding schedule. Every year teams come out of nowhere and some of the favorites falter, but I think we will be saying that was one long road to tame. Hopefully, we come out on the winning side more often than not. If we make the playoffs, which I firmly feel we will, we will be battle tested. That has to have some bearing come playoff time.

BroncoNut
08-02-2012, 09:46 AM
I think alot of it will depend on how available Peyton manning will be. If he is unable to play for any reason, all these games will be tough unless the draft pick (forget his name) is extraordinary

BroncoJoe
08-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Peyton aside, it'll all come down to the secondary for me.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2012, 10:34 AM

This. We are playing against some of the best QBs in the NFL. Roth, Brees, Brady. Those three alone have been in the Super Bowls enough times over the last decade to make the point. Throw in the new guys from Tampa and Carolina, mix in guys like Rivers, Ryan, Palmer..... then the tough running game and defense of the Chiefs twice a year. Makes me go "****!!"

Like you said, we will be taking on a fresh Pitt team, and fresh New Orleans team, and a fresh Atlanta team....teams that have had injury problems in seasons past, but won't have enough season to have those injuries. They will be fresh, and running the same offenses they've been running for years. We'll have a great QB, but the rest of the team is completely new to this offense. The first of the season is going to be a BITCH for us.

If we win 2 out of those three, I think we are better than I thought we would be. But honestly, I think its very probably we go 1-2.

TheReverend
08-02-2012, 10:45 AM
Schedules are never as tough or as weak as they seem in the off-season

Dzone
08-02-2012, 11:19 AM
Schedules are never as tough or as weak as they seem in the off-season
That is so true. Teams that were good last year, could be falling apart this year and vice versa. SOS is a non issue and doesnt matter

camdisco24
08-02-2012, 04:03 PM
No schedule is tough when you have a QB who has 54,828 Passing TDs.

http://img.viame-cdn.com/photos/3fb996d0-bef7-012f-bbd9-123138132bca/r600x600.jpg

...ESPN fail.

Ravage!!!
08-02-2012, 04:24 PM

http://img.viame-cdn.com/photos/3fb996d0-bef7-012f-bbd9-123138132bca/r600x600.jpg

...ESPN fail.

Its tough when you throw 54, 828 TDs, and are still 3rd on the list!!

Dzone
08-02-2012, 04:26 PM

...ESPN fail.
fOR SHYTS SAKE THE GUY IS A FREAKIN TOUCHDOWN MACHINE. i HAD NO IDEA

Ravage!!!
08-02-2012, 04:28 PM
fOR SHYTS SAKE THE GUY IS A FREAKIN TOUCHDOWN MACHINE. i HAD NO IDEA

Just another day for Peyton... a simple 244 TD passes a game over his 14 year career. If we need DTs to stop the run with THAT kind of production, we are screwed.

Tned
08-03-2012, 06:48 AM
Peyton aside, it'll all come down to the secondary for me.

I think the secondary as a whole is very important. We know what we have in Champ, but are hoping Porter is a big upgrade over Bly/Goodman of recent years. Then, we have to hope in turn that Nickel and Dime are also upgraded.

For me, it's up the middle on defense that will be the determiner. By that I mean, DT's, MLB and Safeties.

The DTs need to play both better against the run, but also we need a push up the middle on passing downs. Even if the DTs aren't getting sacks, they need to push the pocket enough that the QB's can't setup up to get away from Von & Doom coming from the edges.

Mays needs to play better. He's a good, run forward and hit hard guy, but needs to up his game in pass protection and going side to side.

We need much improved from the safeties, specifically in pass coverage.

So, it's this "up the middle" play that I think will determine how far we go. If we are improved in this area, than I think the Broncos can go a long way.

Canmore
08-04-2012, 02:38 AM
I think the secondary as a whole is very important. We know what we have in Champ, but are hoping Porter is a big upgrade over Bly/Goodman of recent years. Then, we have to hope in turn that Nickel and Dime are also upgraded.

For me, it's up the middle on defense that will be the determiner. By that I mean, DT's, MLB and Safeties.

The DTs need to play both better against the run, but also we need a push up the middle on passing downs. Even if the DTs aren't getting sacks, they need to push the pocket enough that the QB's can't setup up to get away from Von & Doom coming from the edges.

Mays needs to play better. He's a good, run forward and hit hard guy, but needs to up his game in pass protection and going side to side.

We need much improved from the safeties, specifically in pass coverage.

So, it's this "up the middle" play that I think will determine how far we go. If we are improved in this area, than I think the Broncos can go a long way.

I'm still worried about the middle of the defense. I was last year and I still am. It appears to me to be our week spot.

Defensive tackles have to do something against the run. Our division is loaded with decent backs. McFadden and Charles are still licking their lips. Matthews probably also. In the passing game we need some type of push in the center of the line so our edge rushers are more effective. How clean was that pocket Brady had in the divisional round. If we are going to compete with New England you have to move Brady off his spot. That goes for the rest of the league.

Mays, like you said has to up his game. For $4 million we need more than a downhill run thumper. He needs to be more effective laterally. I'm not looking for the reincarnation of Al Wilson but Mays has to do a better job sideline to sideline. I'm hoping for a little better performance in pass coverage also.

Safeties. Even though he wasn't the same why did Dawkins have to retire. Oh well that's crying over spilled milk. Adams is penciled in at free safety. I hope he comes and plays as advertised at least that would give the safety spot some stability. Moore and Carter. One has got to step forward and deliver. I thought Carter had his moments late last season and I would not be unhappy to see a little bit more. He has a lot of work to do but this is his first off-season, like Moore and I have hopes for some improvement. Moore has some talent. I really think that hit and fine got inside his head. He needs to clear his mind and step up to the plate. Sounds like that he maybe doing that this preseason.

I don't see the gaping hole right in the middle of our defense that I worried about last off-season but I too am very concerned about our defensive middle. If we struggle in the middle we are going to struggle defensively. People are talking about whether we can be a top ten defense. If the middle of our defense doesn't improve, we will be lucky to be in the top twenty. With an improved Mays, some decent defensive tackle play and some improved safety play we could be special. We have as good a set off edge rushers as there is in the league. Champ still seems to be Champ and our other corners look improved. It's a passing league and we look set to try and defense that. If we just do enough defensively in the run game we should be OK.