PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Trade Rumors and Possibilities

CoachChaz
07-22-2009, 12:45 PM
7/22/09

-Red Sox acquire Adam LaRoche from Pittsburgh

-Brewers scouting CLE pitcher Cliff Lee and BAL close George Sherrill

-Blue Jays Gm says Halladay trade now unlikely. Most likely because the top possible trade partner (Philadelphia) refused to include top pitching prospect Kyle Drabek in the deal.

-Rays interested in Cliff Lee; Wade Davis and Desmond Jennings possible trade peices

-Cubs looking at George Sherrill

-Rox looking at Sherrill, Baez, Qualls and Saito for bullpen help

Buff
07-22-2009, 01:10 PM
I'll be shocked if the Rockies don't acquire some sort of bullpen help. Especially after losing Embree a couple weeks ago. Last night's loss can be directly attributed to lack of a quality middle reliever/set-up man.

slim
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I'll be shocked if the Rockies don't acquire some sort of bullpen help. Especially after losing Embree a couple weeks ago. Last night's loss can be directly attributed to lack of a quality middle reliever/set-up man.

They really need to add two quality arms to the BP. If they don't, they will fade pretty quickly (they can't expect the starters to go 7 innings every night).

slim
07-22-2009, 01:13 PM
I would love for the Rox to add Qualls...

CoachChaz
07-22-2009, 01:42 PM
I would love for the Rox to add Qualls...

That would be thwir best bet. Sherrill is going to be expensive and I dont think they have the pieces Baltimore would want. Baez is a total question mark. I'm sure they will find some sort of mid-level help though

G_Money
07-22-2009, 02:26 PM
If the Rockies wanted to part with Eric Young I'm sure the Mariners could arrange to send you an arm...

And I see the Pirates continue to be a farm club for other ML teams... :yardog:

~G

BroncoAV06
07-22-2009, 08:00 PM
I don't see the Rockies giving up EY Jr. yet, need some young guys in the system with all the guys in the bigs at the moment. Already moved one chip in Baker for a minor leauge reliver, Al Albuquerque, ya. Murton could interest someone if you throw in a prospect. Morales has been doing some nice work out of the pen which is huge to the pen.

If the Rays land Lee for Davis and others that would be a big pickup. Price and the rest of the rotation in tact and they are only 4 out.

Buff
07-23-2009, 03:20 PM
Rockies trade for Cleveland pitcher Betancourt

The Cleveland Indians will hold a conference call after today's game in Toronto to announce they have traded Rafael Betancourt to the Rockies for Class A pitcher Connor Graham, according to a major-league source.

Betancourt was not used in an obvious setup situation today against Toronto, which was considered unusual by those who follow the team.

"You never think it's going to happen to you," Betancourt told reporters after his game in Toronto. "But I have seen a lot of guys come and leave this team this year. Now, it's my turn."

Despite promoting top prospect Jhoulys Chacin today, the Rockies have been making a strong push to get the 34-year-old right-hander. The Rockies have a history of completing trades with the Indians as the general managers Dan O'Dowd and Mark Shapiro have a strong working relationship.

Betancourt is 1-2 with a 3.52 ERA this season. He has roughly $1.5 million left in salary this year and has a 2010 club option for $5.4 million. He was on the disabled list earlier this month with a strained right groin.

Betancourt relies heavily on his fastball, but has been using his slider and changeup more over the past year.

Troy E. Renck: 303-954-1301 or trenck@denverpost.com.

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12899851

I think all things considered I would have rather had Sherrill, but we would have had to give a lot more to get him. I like this move, the bullpen needs help right now.

CoachChaz
07-24-2009, 06:35 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_12899851

I think all things considered I would have rather had Sherrill, but we would have had to give a lot more to get him. I like this move, the bullpen needs help right now.

Sherrill is by far the top closer available and Baltimore knows it. He also wants to stay there, so it's going to take a very lucrative offer to pry him away

CoachChaz
07-24-2009, 06:45 AM
RUMORS - 7/24/09

Cubs looking for back-up catcher and veteran outfielder. Possibly Jim Edmonds

Angels pursuing Roy Halladay, Cliff Lee, Dan Haren and apparently every available starting pitcher as well as a few arms from the Orioles pen

Phillies scout was seen in the Blue Jays clubhouse

Rays interested in Cliff Lee

Cardinals talking to A's about Matt Holliday. Detroit explored a deal for Holliday, but did not want to give up their top pitching prospect

Rays and Red Sox inquiring about Victor Marinez

Despite acquiring Betancourt, Rockies interested in Baez in Baltimore. Rockies and Phillies also inquired about Qualls, but Arizona wants a starter in return and so far the Rox are hesitant to pay the D-Backs price tag of Ubaldo jimenez

Twins looking for infield help, exploring deal with Oakland for Orlando Cabrera

slim
07-24-2009, 10:55 AM
Coach, you're an AL guy....what do you think of Betancourt?

CoachChaz
07-24-2009, 11:34 AM
Coach, you're an AL guy....what do you think of Betancourt?

He's solid. Probably the most consistent pitcher for Cleveland over the last few years. Definitely a nice pick-up

...and for the record...I'm just an MLB guy. My O's are in the AL, but I'm a big fan of Philly, STL and SD as well

CoachChaz
07-24-2009, 11:37 AM
HOLLIDAY TRADE IMMINENT

ESPN is reporting that a deal for Matt Holliday to St. Louis is waiting on ink to dry. St. Louis is reported to be sending Brett Wallace, Shane Petersen and Clayton Mortensen.

Seems like a hefty price to pay for what could be a year end rental for St. Louis, but Holliday in that lineup to protect Pujols is scary and if Carpenter and Wainrught stay healthy...I think St. Louis jumps up there with Philly and LA as a significant contender to win the NL. Of course...if Philly adds Halladay and gets lucky with Pedro, then I'll stick with Philly all the way. This year AND next year

EDIT: Just after I post this, I get the word that it's official

Rick
07-24-2009, 12:08 PM
Usually i am able to find a lot of good scouting reports on players but what I am looking for with him I just haven't found yet...

So anyone know if Betancourt is a ground ball pitcher, flyball?

CoachChaz
07-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Usually i am able to find a lot of good scouting reports on players but what I am looking for with him I just haven't found yet...

So anyone know if Betancourt is a ground ball pitcher, flyball?

He has a good fastball with good control. Used mostly against righties, but he can get rattled with runners on and isnt very effective when pitching consecutive days. he has a crazy wind-up that alot of people think is a balk and he works VERY SLOWLY. Only has 30 IP this season due to being on the DL with a pulled groin. Has only given up 3 HR in those 30 innings, so he doesnt allow too many flyballs. That could change at Coors though. He'll be a very solid set-up man for Street. Definitely a good pick-up

CoachChaz
07-27-2009, 06:38 AM
7/27/2009

Phillies scouting Cliff Lee as well as Halladay. Lee may be a better option in terms of what Philly would be giving up. Word is, Toronto wants BOTH Drabek and Happ...Philly's yop 2 pitching prospects.

Dodgers deny rumor that they were considering trading Loney and either Kershaw or Billingsley for Cliff lee and Victor Marinez

Cubs in regular contact with the Pirates for John Grabow and Matt Capps

Small rumor involving Juan Pierre to CIN for Arthur Rhodes. While I think LA fans would be all over this, I just dont see the Reds adding a 10 million dollar player with a .348 OBP. He's not much different from Tavares and has a bigger price tag.

Twins showing alot of interest in Orlando Cabrera, Marco Scutaro and John Garland

CoachChaz
07-29-2009, 01:27 PM
The Phillies acquired Cliff Lee from Cleveland today along with Ben Francisco for a bunch of minor league spares...Jason Knapp (only 18 and "could" turn into a stud), Carlos Carrasco, Jason Donald and Lou Marson.

Lee is the reigning AL Cy Young winner and currently has a record of 7-9 with a 3.14 ERA

Phillies are also in deep talks with Seattle about acquiring Jerrod Washburn. So far the Phillies have made improvements without having to part with the solid prospects they have in JA Happ, Kyle Drabek and Dominic Brown...all of whom Toronto wanted, PLUS MORE, in return for Halladay