PDA

View Full Version : Broncos and Clady break off negotiations until after 2012 season

Tned
07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
Multiple sources reporting, and the Broncos have confirmed, that negotiations with Clady have broken down and will not resume until after the session.

Sent from my Android Xoom using Forum Runner

Ziggy
07-30-2012, 07:01 PM
That's too bad. It sounded like the contract that the Broncos were offering him was fair. Top 5 money is nothing to sneeze at.

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 07:23 PM
so is he franchised?

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
so is he franchised?

No.

He's under contract.

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 07:32 PM
Too bad. Need to sign him. Bad.

Tned
07-30-2012, 07:46 PM
Too bad. Need to sign him. Bad.

I guess they figure they have the safety net of the franchise tag, so they didn't have to get an extension done now.

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 07:48 PM
I think clady has an idiot for an agent and his agent has a fool for a client.

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 07:50 PM
I guess they figure they have the safety net of the franchise tag, so they didn't have to get an extension done now.

And who knows...they could "call off" public contract talks and suddenly it gets done out of nowhere too. Plus, the Broncos have no restrictions on negotiating a contract with a free agent to be, even up to the beginning of the league year and free agency.

I think it gets done, but it just makes us fans nervous...

Tned
07-30-2012, 07:55 PM
And who knows...they could "call off" public contract talks and suddenly it gets done out of nowhere too. Plus, the Broncos have no restrictions on negotiating a contract with a free agent to be, even up to the beginning of the league year and free agency.

I think it gets done, but it just makes us fans nervous...

Agreed.

Denver Native (Carol)
07-30-2012, 08:19 PM
The Broncos and left tackle Ryan Clady mutually decided Monday to end contract negotiations until after the 2012 season.

Clady will make $3.5 million in this, the final year of the five-year contract he signed as a rookie in 2008. The Broncos latest known offer to Clady was for five years and $50 million with $28 million in guarantees.

The team's proposal would have tied Clady with the New York Jets' D'Brickashaw Ferguson for the third highest-paid, veteran offensive tackle.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_21193915/broncos-ryan-clady-break-off-contract-talks

Buff
07-30-2012, 08:40 PM
I think clady has an idiot for an agent and his agent has a fool for a client.

I doubt it. He was coming off a serious knee injury in 10-11 and he had to protect a lefty running QB in an option offense last year. Barring injury I think he'll have a Pro Bowl year with Manning and will probably get whatever $$ he couldn't get coming off of his worst year as a pro.

NightTrainLayne
07-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I doubt it. He was coming off a serious knee injury in 10-11 and he had to protect a lefty running QB in an option offense last year. Barring injury I think he'll have a Pro Bowl year with Manning and will probably get whatever $$ he couldn't get coming off of his worst year as a pro.

As long as he doesn't get hurt again.

Buff
07-30-2012, 09:39 PM
As long as he doesn't get hurt again.

I thought I covered that with "Barring injury." :D

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 09:42 PM

You coined the phrase, actually.

Superchop 7
07-30-2012, 09:49 PM
So be it. LET'S SHORE UP SOME DEPTH !

Tned
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Clady is giving up the guarantee in case of injury, but from both his and team's perspective, if they franchise him he gets basically the same next year as if he signed the $50 mil for 5 contract.

Elevation inc
07-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Clady and his agent feel they want a better contract than Joe Thomas. Clady is good but he isnt his 2008 form quite yet. By any means 5 year 50 million is a excellent top 5 contract but they are balking. Good on denver since we have the leverage of a franchise tag and now we can see if clady is fully recovered as well.....no biggy here

NightTrainLayne
07-30-2012, 10:22 PM

So you did. I missed it.

Dzone
07-30-2012, 11:58 PM
Excellent . Time for Clady to put up or shut up.

dogfish
07-31-2012, 12:23 AM
Clady and his agent feel they want a better contract than Joe Thomas. Clady is good but he isnt his 2008 form quite yet. By any means 5 year 50 million is a excellent top 5 contract but they are balking. Good on denver since we have the leverage of a franchise tag and now we can see if clady is fully recovered as well.....no biggy here

damn skippy. . .

if dude wants to get paid like joe thomas, he better not have fifty ****ing holding calls this year, because that doesn't resemble elite play in any way, shape or form. . .

don't anybody tell me that shit was all tebow's fault, either-- even a honeybadger angry midget can't blame the QB on a damn running play! and when the guy gets beat cleanly off the edge by speed and has to hold, that also isn't the QB's fault. . . call half of them legitimately on the QB, clady's still taken too many penalties on his own the last couple years, and has given up significantly more quick pressure. . .

if he doesn't return all the way, or close to all the way to pre-injury form, i think the team should franchise him-- and draft a left tackle with their first pick. . .

Dzone
07-31-2012, 12:45 AM
I agree there dog. I think Clady had one freakish year and has not progressed since, but regressed. Maybe the change of offense will rejuvenaTE him, we can only hope. Everyone got so tired of hearing "Holding # 78" and now he thinks he is top 5? Maybe in Canada. If he sucks again this year, he can take his talents to south beach.

Dirk
07-31-2012, 06:28 AM
He should have taken the contract offered IMO. He hasn't shown anything since his injury that he deserves even that. Hopefully he will regain his PB play this year, but if not he will look back and wish he had taken the deal.

TXBRONC
07-31-2012, 08:11 AM
damn skippy. . .

if dude wants to get paid like joe thomas, he better not have fifty ****ing holding calls this year, because that doesn't resemble elite play in any way, shape or form. . .

don't anybody tell me that shit was all tebow's fault, either-- even a honeybadger angry midget can't blame the QB on a damn running play! and when the guy gets beat cleanly off the edge by speed and has to hold, that also isn't the QB's fault. . . call half of them legitimately on the QB, clady's still taken too many penalties on his own the last couple years, and has given up significantly more quick pressure. . .

if he doesn't return all the way, or close to all the way to pre-injury form, i think the team should franchise him-- and draft a left tackle with their first pick. . .

Having a starting quarterback that doesn't hold onto the ball to long will help.

Tned
07-31-2012, 08:14 AM
damn skippy. . .

I get what you're saying, and agree he needs to up his game (and not **** up his knees playing pickup basketball), but on the holding calls, in '10 he only had 2 and last year he did jump up to 7, but in fairness, we probably have to put some of that on Tebow. The lienmen had no idea where Tebow was going to be, whether he would stay in the pocket; whether he would get rid of it in 2.5 seconds or 7.5 seconds.

Fact is we got pretty spoiled with him only having two holding calls called on him "in total" his first two years in the league.

Bronco Bible
07-31-2012, 08:36 AM
I think he thinks he wants to be in Chicago

Denver Native (Carol)
07-31-2012, 09:12 PM
The guarantee in the first three years of a proposed contract extension was a primary hang up Ryan Clady and and his negotiating team had with the Broncos’ five-year, $50 million offer, according to an NFL source.

The Broncos and Clady, the team’s left tackle, mutually decided Monday to end contract negotiations until after the 2012 season. Clady will make $3.5 million this season, then will become eligible for free agency.

The team’s proposal would have pulled Clady even with the New York Jets’ D’Brickashaw Ferguson and Washington’s Trent Williams as the fourth-highest-paid offensive tackle with an average annual value of $10 million. Only Jason Peters ($12.8 million), Joe Thomas ($11.5 million) and Jake Long ($10.6 million) would have made more.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2012/07/31/source-clady-hang-guarantee-3-years/14564/

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 10:13 AM
I think he thinks he wants to be in Chicago

Not sure where this jab came from, but I'm betting Chicago would love to have him.

I hope we don't pull the "we'll see if you stay healthy, then we'll just franchise tag you" stance that has been mentioned. Thats a pretty CRAPPY way to treat drafted players, and the rest of the teammates will see it. Its a business to them as well, and when they see you treat a 'brother employee' with the harsh hand, then they have no reason to believe that you won't screw them the first chance you get (not saying the broncos are screwing anyone, but the perception of the franchise tag is not a positive one). Lets hope they get a deal done.

shank
08-01-2012, 01:31 PM
this sucks. with peyton behind him, he'll return to form and the price tag will only go up, especially with other teams bidding at the end of the year. ending talks is only going to cost us money or a very good LT.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 01:33 PM
this sucks. with peyton behind him, he'll return to form and the price tag will only go up, especially with other teams bidding at the end of the year. ending talks is only going to cost us money or a very good LT.

Well, the idea is that if they again don't reach an agreement, they could always use the franchise tag on him, thus putting us right back into a position we are now. I hope that's not the case, but either way... at least we'll have Clady here protecting our left side.

shank
08-01-2012, 02:34 PM
Well, the idea is that if they again don't reach an agreement, they could always use the franchise tag on him, thus putting us right back into a position we are now. I hope that's not the case, but either way... at least we'll have Clady here protecting our left side.

i realize that's an option, but clearly not the best. clady is a franchise player, despite his injury struggle and a few holding calls. If what carol posted above is really the issue, i think it would have been much better for the broncos to up the guaranteed money a bit to get to an agreeable level. I think what they offered was fair, but i really think it'll cost much more than a little more than we just offered to keep him by the end of the year, making this offer an eventual low-ball, and making this sentence an absolute structural travesty.

silkamilkamonico
08-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Would have absolutely no problem paying him what he wanted after the season if he stays healthy, improves his holding calls, and returns to form 2 years ago.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Would have absolutely no problem paying him what he wanted after the season if he stays healthy, improves his holding calls, and returns to form 2 years ago.

He had TWO holding calls total his first two seasons, and jumped up to 7 in his worst year protecting a QB that would take off on runs. He isn't a holding problem.

Buff
08-01-2012, 02:42 PM
i realize that's an option, but clearly not the best. clady is a franchise player, despite his injury struggle and a few holding calls. If what carol posted above is really the issue, i think it would have been much better for the broncos to up the guaranteed money a bit to get to an agreeable level. I think what they offered was fair, but i really think it'll cost much more than a little more than we just offered to keep him by the end of the year, making this offer an eventual low-ball, and making this sentence an absolute structural travesty.

This is how I see it:

From the team's perspective it doesn't make sense to pay him Joe Thomas money when he hasn't matched Thomas' production for two seasons.

From Clady's perspective it doesn't make sense to accept a lower long-term offer when he is coming off his worst season as a pro.

I am not too concerned about a deal eventually getting done... It just didn't make sense for either side to do the deal right now. And with the franchise tag in our back pockets, I think the team is making the right move by taking a wait and see approach.

shank
08-01-2012, 02:43 PM
This is how I see it:

From the team's perspective it doesn't make sense to pay him Joe Thomas money when he hasn't matched Thomas' production for two seasons.

From Clady's perspective it doesn't make sense to accept a lower long-term offer when he is coming off his worst season as a pro.

I am not too concerned about a deal eventually getting done... It just didn't make sense for either side to do the deal right now. And with the franchise tag in our back pockets, I think the team is making the right move.

here's how i see it:

you're ugly

silkamilkamonico
08-01-2012, 02:48 PM
He had TWO holding calls total his first two seasons, and jumped up to 7 in his worst year protecting a QB that would take off on runs. He isn't a holding problem.

Sure, that's why he was among the league leaders in holding calls last year. lets start holding the players accountable for their own actions on the field.

shank
08-01-2012, 02:51 PM
Sure, that's why he was among the league leaders in holding calls last year. lets start holding the players accountable for their own actions on the field.

including tim tebow.

silkamilkamonico
08-01-2012, 02:58 PM
including tim tebow.

Yea, I'd say they've gone above and beyond that since they traded that RB trying to play QB. How about let's talk about the players that are actually still on the roster.

shank
08-01-2012, 03:03 PM
Yea, I'd say they've gone above and beyond that since they traded that RB trying to play QB. How about let's talk about the players that are actually still on the roster.

calm down sparky. i meant that he ran around in circles behind the line a multitude of times. that's the worst situation you can put your line in, especially in regards to holding. what's a good lineman to do when the qb isn't where he's supposed to be; try to get away with one and buy him time for his slow release, or let the guy go and blast the dude you make millions to protect?

manning's quick trigger will make clady look like the player that he is once again. in referencing tebow i was talking about clady.

silkamilkamonico
08-01-2012, 03:15 PM
Caldy is hardly the only LT to block for a scrambing QB that would hold the ball too long.

He also didn't block for Tebow 2 years ago when he took a major step back because of his injury.

We're negotiating with Clady because he is one of the better T's and has potential to be one of the best.

Right now he isn't, which is why Denver isn't going to pay him like it.

Simple as that.

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 03:29 PM

I am. I'm saying he had 7 last year, his worst year, while we got spoiled with him having ONE a year for his first two. Lets talk about the the truth about his "holding" problem.

silkamilkamonico
08-01-2012, 03:40 PM
I am. I'm saying he had 7 last year, his worst year, while we got spoiled with him having ONE a year for his first two. Lets talk about the the truth about his "holding" problem.

Significant increase in holding penalties, significant decrease in impact as a player the last 2 years from the first 2 years, that's why he isn't getting his big payday at the moment.

"Truth".

HORSEPOWER 56
08-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Clady will be right back into form with a quick release QB and a timing passing game. I expect him to have a career year blocking for a QB who is smart enough to get rid of the ball quickly and can help the Center with protection calls. Ever think that was part of the problem? Clady had Weigmann early in his career, but has had Walton making the line calls the past two (both of which the O-line has regressed, especially in pass protection). Having Manning back there to help Walton with protection calls I think will make a HUGE difference.

dogfish
08-01-2012, 04:41 PM
I get what you're saying, and agree he needs to up his game (and not **** up his knees playing pickup basketball), but on the holding calls, in '10 he only had 2 and last year he did jump up to 7, but in fairness, we probably have to put some of that on Tebow. The lienmen had no idea where Tebow was going to be, whether he would stay in the pocket; whether he would get rid of it in 2.5 seconds or 7.5 seconds.

Fact is we got pretty spoiled with him only having two holding calls called on him "in total" his first two years in the league.

where did the penalty stats come from? i'd like to see the numbers for some of the other premiere OLs. . .

silkamilkamonico
08-01-2012, 06:46 PM
Clady will be right back into form with a quick release QB and a timing passing game. I expect him to have a career year blocking for a QB who is smart enough to get rid of the ball quickly and can help the Center with protection calls. Ever think that was part of the problem? Clady had Weigmann early in his career, but has had Walton making the line calls the past two (both of which the O-line has regressed, especially in pass protection). Having Manning back there to help Walton with protection calls I think will make a HUGE difference.

I expect him to have a big year too, and I think he's going to get a huge contract, maybe bigger than he wants now. He just has to earn it, especially after the last 2 years.