PDA

View Full Version : u29 7/30 Camp report.

underrated29
07-30-2012, 03:32 PM
This one is going to be kind of all over the place. Sorry for that. But im busy and just need to get it all down. Also, the players came and stood on the sidlines right by us, therefore blocking my view most of the time. Without further ado here we go:

Manning- Yes, we know he is manning. Yes, we know he is the best QB we have had since elway. Just by reputation we know that, but the things he does just show you how terrible we have had it the past few years with our Qbs....Even Cutler (who I think is a good QB) is just not anything near the level that peyton is. He is that good. I thought manning started out a bit hesitant or rusty or something, but he brought it all together not long after. There was one pass, that I still can not believe he made. It was a 20 yard throw, couldnt really see the route, but literally there were three guys on the wr (i couldnt tell who it was- Orton perhaps). There was a LB dropping deep (looked like trevathian) porter in coverage and the saftey and literally this ball threaded the needle so damn well. Seriously, I have not seen a pass like that in a Loooooooooong Time. The window was no bigger than a shoe box, but he also had to get it over the LB and under the S and CB into this shoe box. I am not going to lie, I needed to change my pants after that throw. Sad thing is, I think many people let it go unnoticed how good that throw was. Peyton, at one point was working as a DB in drills and was still barking out orders to the QBs who were running the drills. He is more than a coach out there. Its hilarious and awesome to watch!!
He also worked on a bunch of audibles at the line with the OL and wr and RB....He also worked quite a bit with knowshon on the hot routes being hot and where to break off when needed. Knowshon went, and manning made the completion. However, manning did not like it, so he talked with knowshon about a few things and then ran it again. Knowshon did what he wanted and the world was right again. Manning had some real sexy throws to decker streaking down the middle in double coverage between porter and adams or moore- not sure who the S was there. Great play. Manning also did underthrow DT on a play that allowed champ to get back and break it up. Honestly, I know its only like day 4 or something, but I really think that we average around 28pts a game. Seriously, our wr and TE can get open and our RBs are always open. We are going to be good.

QBs in general- Haine sucks- they were doing tandem QB drills and manning and haine were together, 5 step drop, both QBs threw their out routes, mannings was there long before haines was...Because manning can anticipate, something haine can not do. Anyway, manning was pissed at himself because he didnt lead the receiver far enough to the sideline and smacked his hands. Haine, was way worse but was content with the throw.

Weber-he was hot and cold, we are going to keep 3 qbs this year, and while I think he should probably be ahead of haine, he wont be. But its not like they are that much apart. Well, haine has a little edge on him. Truth be told I do not like what I am seeing from either of them.

Giraffe- Oz is looking suprisingly good. I mean for a rookie he has been very impressive. To give you an idea, think of it like this. Oz- probably looks better not being hit and blitzed like crazy, but I think he is a better QB than Orton or Tebow and would take him as a passer this year over both. He has a real good arm and is more accurate than I thought he was supposed to be. If he learns from manning, a few years down the road, we could be just fine. On that note, he seemed to be talking with the QBs or coaches a lot after all of his throws.

RBs- Paid them a Lot of attention as I could see them the best

Mcgahee- is a beast, he runs the hardest and the fastest. He owned a wheel route from manning for a td. He has good hands, I think we may have been underrating him in that apsect. Just judging by how they were using him and the other backs. I would say mcgahee is in line for 15-20 runs a game, with a handful of catches. Not nearly as many as last year. I think they want to keep him in the game but keep him a little more than fresh since we have good depth. He was right in front of me and man he is big. I like him- he pounds through the hole.

Knowshon-haters will hate, lovers will love, but knowshon got a fair amount of work as the #2 back with the 1s today. He had a good run or two with a super sexy cut, I was worried he was going to break himself, but he was fine. Might have been one of the longest runs of the day. 15 yards or so. He also was all over with catching the ball out of the backfield. This is his type of offense and he is going to be vital for us I think behind mcgahee in it.

Ball- as much as everyone hates this guy he is on the team for sure. He is starting on Special teams and has been everytime I have seen him. He also gets a lot of work with the 1s and 2s. Yes, he is average as a runner and catcher, not bad, just not great. But that is ball and he will be here.

Hillman- I said it last time that he is stronger than he looks and he showed the DL and LB that also. He is a hard man to bring down. Partly, because he is so nimble that he is hard to hit clean and wrap up and part because he drives his legs and keeps churning. I like him a lot too. He is going to be real good for us- This year I bet too. Right now, he gets a few reps with the 1s but is mostly the 2s and as of now 4th on the depth chart.

Xavier- hey remember this guy. The guy I was pimping as a sleeper a few years ago in the draft who went to buffalo and ended up here. Well, he had a decent day today. Nothing spectacular, but he runs hard between the tackles, and breaks through arm tackles and has a little wiggle. I still sadly do not see him making the team but he caught my eye and the coaches eye a couple of times for some praise.

Fannin- he is hard to bring down but his instincts are not good. He made a nice move to get to a hole that was opened by the RT, but did not explode through it. As a result- he was brought down at the LOS by malik jackson I think. Didnt see a lot of his runs today either. perhaps because he did not get many.

I watched the RBs doing their drill work and fannin was the smoothest runner of all of them. Especially when they had to work on their quick-high feet on the cargo net. He also has gotten praise as great hands guy. Which I am not quite on board with. His hands are good, but they look a little hard to be. There was a bobble in there. Hillman has nice soft hands and did well on the cross feet cargo net. The other cargo net I am not sure he brought his highstep up high enough. Moreno got his feet way up. Too high I think perhaps. He was doing more mini leaps then running. This might be why he is not fast, because he brings his feet up too high. He does have the softest hands though. Every catch is soundless and effortless. JJ- looked to be the best in this drill, real quick through the netting and catching the ball. He also had a real nice catch and run in drills today. Not sure he makes the cut though.

WR- I heard someone thinking DT was lost out there- I disagree with that. He is not a smooth as decker is right now, but he is making the catches, breaking the tackles (broke two would be tackles from the db-porter and champ) and kept running down the sidelines for a big play. His blocking looked good. He still looks to be thinking too much about bringing the ball in, but I am sure game time there will be no issues. DT- also made a comeback catch with Syd all over him- DT used his body and his long arms to sheild the ball from him as he had both hands in there trying to bat the ball out. Great heads up play by DT..once he was able to keep tony carter at a safe distance he then brough the ball tight into his body. (just in time as syd or bolden I think came over to try and knock it out.) The WR who really caught my eye today was 89-orton I think- That kid has got some real nice soft hands. He was catching everything perfectly. No noise, no bouncing, no double clutching, just smooth and easy. I hope he makes the team. Great hands.

10- Robinson- the kid from Oz school- man he is big. Like DT- that is about the only thing they share in common though. He is not nearly as fast, nearly as good at catching or route running. He looked tired and out of shape. I suspect he is going to the PS- someone might claim him from there just because he is such a size mismatch in the redzone. Kid is HUGE.

Willis and stokely looked good today. Especially stokley, he stole the show today. Diving catches, acrobatic catches, tds, everything. I thought he might be done for, but if today is what he will bring everyday, then there is a lot of good fight left in that old dog.

Tamme and dressen and Julius Thomas were all out there but not a lot got open or caught passes. A few did, but not so much. Rather quite day on that front from what I could see. I did see JT on one of the route drills and his giddy up seemed a bit slower than i thought. Maybe I had wrong expectations, maybe he is still recovering- but I was expecting a little more. That is like a sidenote though.

DEFENSE- I watched the DL guys a bunch. Partly because it was all i could see with the players standing right in front of us making a wall.

We ran a bunch of 3-4 looks today. Trying to give different looks that we will face, like the bolts. Or maybe because we are incorporating it into our D scheme. I am not sure, but we did run it and it was ayers, ty and doom? Sorry- I forgot who the third man was. No, I am now almost positive it was not doom and was someone else. Unrien. Yes, I think it was mitch. Anyway, we ran the 3-4 a fair few times. We moved wolfe all over on the line. He seems to get the best pressure as a DE...He did well at DT too, but sometimes got washed out of play when he was double teamed. I still say he needs another 20lbs of msucle to anchor those double teams better. But he is quick and relentless. Del Rio- loves his big men in the middle as we all know. I saw it today. He had 70- malik Jackson in the middle at DT, and also Jeremy Beal was in there as well.---both I am pretty sure were supposed to be DEs, but they are so big they were there at DT...And you know what- they did really really well. Beal and Jackson both were getting a lot of pressure and would have had a couple sacks each....mostly against the second teamers and QBs, but still. They were there and it was good to see. Big Vick and Hunter had their game faces on today. Hunter went beast mode made the tackle and then starting a little shoving match with JD walton and one of the other lineman..the LG I think.

There was a drill that was only run plays- and the DLine shut it down practically every time for a loss or no gain. That was our heavy package again...ayers, ty, vick unrein...with hunter and ayers- i beleive trading out....They worked it. Now, they also knew every play was going to be a run play, so the edge was to the defense but still. They shut it down and that was good to see.

Ty Warren- Still looks beastly to me. I still stand by the fact that he is our best DT. He splits double teams so easily it seems and he anchors the run so well. HIm and bunk would have been a great heavy package last year. Oh well, he is here this year and imo looking real real great.

Malik Jackson- I like this guy. Saw him a bit the other day, today I saw more, I think he finds a way on to the roster. He is fast and strong...and big.

Jeremy Beal- Where the hell has this guy been? He went around the edges so fast on some guys. He is big too. I like him at DT also. There is going to be a good good battle at DE this year. Whoever, has the most flexibility between DE and DT I think will make the team.

54- cyril orbigzoesomething- this is the guy I mentioned day 1. Seems like the coaches are noticing him too. He is here to play and I would say is in the mix at DE...He gets good pressure a lot. A lot. But he is also working on second/thrid teamers I think. Still- I said keep an eye on him and I suggest we still do. He is kind of like the matt willis from last years camp (or the year before)

Other notes:

trevathian was getting good work at LB as a starter. He got kicked off of punt team. Made amends for it. I still think it is woodys job though.
Harris was battling hard with florence at third CB. Despite what I heard from somewhere porter is definitely the #2 CB. And florence and harris are in a head to head battle for the nickle.
Champ- got beat by DT hard core, but recovered on a ball that manning slightly underthrew, he may have lost a step, but champ still has that recovery speed.
Syd- Syd was wall over the place today, batting down balls, breaking up passes, knocking them out of the wr hands. He was working a lot on punts and such. I think he is the starter there-even though they did not really do any live returns.
Kuper got some reps in...then I saw him riding the bike for a long while.
On the near side endzone they were doing redzone drills...The first pass manning barely missed a slanting to the pylon throw to DT....He immediately called the same play for gold. Stokely also had one as well. They ran this play a total of 7 times that I counted today. I could not ever see the formation, but it was the same play. It must be one of our redzone go to plays and it seems to work as the WR everytime I have seen has been in single coverage. We must somehow get the S to work to the middle or something I do not know.

ok, its scatter brained. I am sorry, but I am at work and on phone calls and such while trying to type this up. Give me a mulligan and I will do a better one on thurs.

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 03:39 PM
Awesome report as usual! I cannot freaking wait to watch Manning in the preseason. This next week needs to speed up. And what you saw confirms my feelings from the Cedric Benson thread. We have enough capable RBs that fit this scheme well to bring someone else in.

underrated29
07-30-2012, 03:43 PM
oh, i left out a few things about the drills...They used a soccer ball to act as a football bouncing in for a touchback and the "gunners" had to practice tipping the ball back to a teamate to be downed at the 1 yard line. They also used towels to keep their elbows in on fielding punts. I remember mcdaniels using the towel drill before and I liked it. Glad they did that. The soccer ball drill was cool to see and a good way to get the guys to prevent touchbacks.

Northman
07-30-2012, 03:53 PM
Great report UR. Especially like your updates on the backups as i was a big fan of Oz so im glad you are seeing some great positives out of him.

Ziggy
07-30-2012, 04:02 PM
Great report UR. Looks like we were definitely at the same practice today. Our reports are very similar. I don't know where you were, but my son and I were sitting right on the 50 next a big shade tree. Perfect day for a Broncos training camp visit.

underrated29
07-30-2012, 04:14 PM
I was at the 30 yard line or so...the far 30, in the sun. But yessir, read yours and I agree with what you said there and here. Glad we are seeing the same things as I try to be as unbaised as possible.

Nomad
07-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Aug 9 closing in quick.......hopefully the BRONCOS continue to improve. I hope Warren can play this year as well..... I like what I'm hearing about him.

Sounds like it's hot over there. My sons started 2-a-days today with 55 degrees and drizzle....they don't realize how lucky they are not to be where it's hot:lol:

Elevation inc
07-30-2012, 06:17 PM
great stuff man

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 06:32 PM
We all assumed it was Irving...

Can Trevathan be the MLB?

Where did he play at UK?

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 07:37 PM
is doom splitting time between the first string and the legal department?

TXBRONC
07-30-2012, 08:49 PM
We all assumed it was Irving...

Can Trevathan be the MLB?

Where did he play at UK?

I think he was an outside linebacker at UK.

Simple Jaded
07-30-2012, 10:39 PM
I like the new scatterbrained format, it's surprisingly user friendly.

Btw, judging by U29 and Lammey's reports is it safe to assume that the dynamic duo of Beadles and Walton are still getting their asses handed to 'em?.......

Canmore
08-01-2012, 11:46 PM
I like the new scatterbrained format, it's surprisingly user friendly.

Btw, judging by U29 and Lammey's reports is it safe to assume that the dynamic duo of Beadles and Walton are still getting their asses handed to 'em?.......

As much as I hate to say it, that's what it sounds like.

Dzone
08-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Now am hearing rumors that Jason Hunter is outplaying robert ayers and is playing ahead of ayers. Havent seen the depth chart. Anyone know if this is true?