PDA

View Full Version : Want Cedric Benson?

OrangeHoof
07-30-2012, 10:48 AM
I spend a lot of time at a bar/restaurant in North Austin that stays open late. Sunday night, the manager informed me that RB Cedric Benson was in the house accompanied by a male friend.

Benson slouched at the bar, wasn't drinking (I think he's still on probation from some prior bar incidents), looked to be in excellent shape (a bigger man than I expected) and not in a very good mood.

If Benson is hanging out in a bar, it's because he's not presently in an NFL training camp. The three-time 1000-yd rusher and former Texas Longhorn is a free agent whom the rumor mill has linked to the Raiders, Jets and Packers although other reports claim the Raiders aren't interested.

Question: Could/Should the Broncos be interested?

The latest cap room published in June (before signing Prater and the draft picks) was still over $10 million so there ought to be room for a deal as long as we aren't spending all of it on Ryan Clady.

Pros: Exceptional, experienced power runner. McGahee is not apt to survive a 16-game season healthy and we can't really want Moreno or Hillman as our next option. Teams can't load the box on Benson as long as Peyton Manning is in the backfield. Has the ability to take over games when the rush is established to give opposing DCs another major weapon to worry about.

Cons: Average to below-average as a receiving threat. Unlikely to break long runs. Has had a few incidents with LEOs in the past so may need a little watching and support off the field.

My take: I think the need for a better second option after McGahee is genuine and he would be a quality upgrade. Once the Broncos know how much Clady will cost them and if there isn't an FA defensive tackle that doesn't make more sense to sign, I can see inking Benson on a one-year contract with incentives. It shouldn't be that tough to teach him the job and he's likely to be taken out for Hillman in obvious passing downs so he won't need to be too involved in the passing offense. I'd sure rather see him in Denver than Oakland.

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 10:55 AM
LEO?
is that a Late Evening Outing ?

Northman
07-30-2012, 10:57 AM
Pass.

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
I think we are just fine at RB. McGahee is a quality starter and Hillman/Moreno are both perfect fits for the #2/3 RB role in this offense. Maybe if we suffer a serious injury there we would look at him, but as for now I am perfectly happy with our RB stable.

OrangeHoof
07-30-2012, 11:03 AM
LEO?
is that a Late Evening Outing ?

Close. Law Enforcement Officer.

OrangeHoof
07-30-2012, 11:05 AM
I think we are just fine at RB. McGahee is a quality starter and Hillman/Moreno are both perfect fits for the #2/3 RB role in this offense. Maybe if we suffer a serious injury there we would look at him, but as for now I am perfectly happy with our RB stable.

You clearly have a higher opinion of KnowShow than I do.

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 11:11 AM
You clearly have a higher opinion of KnowShow than I do.

I don't think he is a starting caliber RB but he can catch passes out of the backfield and is still a decent runner. Plus he's already used to this offense and Manning now.

Like I said, it's not like we're counting on him to carry the load. He probably won't get more than 5-7 touches a game if that.

I just don't think it makes sense to bring a new guy into the fold at that position right now. I'd rather our young guys get those reps in practice and games than Benson.

weazel
07-30-2012, 11:13 AM
better than knowshon...

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 11:21 AM
better than knowshon...

Not for this offense. We need versatile backs who can run and catch the ball in this system. A straight power runner like Benson is not really what this offense needs. If McGahee gets hurt then sure, take a look at him. But as for now I just don't see the point.

TXBRONC
07-30-2012, 11:30 AM
I understand the concern about McGahee staying healthy for 16 games but I don't see how Benson is good second option for several reasons. First, Benson has significately more mileage on his body than McGahee does over the last three years. Second, I don't see how Benson would be a better option than what we have even if McGahee went down for a significant amount of time. Third, assuming Manning is still playing at an elite level I bet run to pass ratio be about a 60/40 split with the higher percentage favoring the pass.

BroncoWave
07-30-2012, 11:32 AM
I understand the concern about McGahee staying healthy for 16 games but I don't see how Benson is good second option for several reasons. First, Benson has significately more mileage on his body than McGahee does over the last three years. Second, I don't see how Benson would be a better option than what we have even if McGahee went down for a significant amount of time. Third, assuming Manning is still playing at an elite level I bet run to pass ratio be about a 60/40 split with the higher percentage favoring the pass.

Exactly. On last year's team, Benson would have been a perfect fit. But for this year's team, I'd rather have more shifty pass-catching threats than a guy like Benson who is pretty much a one-trick pony.

Superchop 7
07-30-2012, 01:40 PM
I would not have been on board...

But......I heard a 30 minute interview in which he broke down.

I understand the person better now.

I can put myself in his shoes.

His problem?

Loves the game too much.

IMO......he is just what we need.

NightTerror218
07-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Nope....we have Mcgahee/Hillman/Fanin/Moreno/Ball to choose from.

IMO. Moreno seems to be the 3rd down back, already seen taking passes from Manning as 3rd down back. Macgahee is #1. Hillman will be #2 and Fanin/Ball will fight for a spot to split carries until Hillman is ready for more carries as the season goes on. Once Hillman is ready he will split carries with mcgahee.

Superchop 7
07-30-2012, 06:46 PM
From a football standpoint.....in 2010 he pass blocked 68 times.....only 3 times did that lead to pressure on the qb.

Superchop 7
07-30-2012, 06:49 PM
There is more to the game than just running......keeping qb safe is a big deal......especially here.

OrangeHoof
07-30-2012, 07:19 PM
I must admit. I was surprised by his size when I saw him in person. He's a big dude. My thought process is that if you're worried about Peyton picking you apart, you can't key on that big hoss doing quick hitters in the line and if the opponents switch to a nickel or dime, it would be even harder to stop him. Plus, the Bengals passed plenty when he was there so he knows how to protect where a rookie may not. I just think McGahee might do a little backsliding from last year and probably will miss time somewhere in the season. Having a legit threat in the backfield makes Manning that much more dangerous.

Benson is not young anymore and probably didn't think he'd still be unsigned this deep into the summer. He could be cheaper to sign that some people think. You give him a one-year deal with incentives and you could get a real bargain. Plus, ask any back whether they want to play in the same backfield as Manning and they might be willing to give away some salary just to play with him knowing they can reach the playoffs.

Ziggy
07-30-2012, 08:16 PM
Nope....we have Mcgahee/Hillman/Fanin/Moreno/Ball to choose from.

IMO. Moreno seems to be the 3rd down back, already seen taking passes from Manning as 3rd down back. Macgahee is #1. Hillman will be #2 and Fanin/Ball will fight for a spot to split carries until Hillman is ready for more carries as the season goes on. Once Hillman is ready he will split carries with mcgahee.

I think the 4th spot in the backfield goes to Gronkowski. If they keep 5, I'd put my money on Ball or Jeremiah Johnson with Omon as a dark horse. I don't see Fannin making this team unless they put him on the practice squad.

MOtorboat
07-30-2012, 08:36 PM
I must admit. I was surprised by his size when I saw him in person. He's a big dude. My thought process is that if you're worried about Peyton picking you apart, you can't key on that big hoss doing quick hitters in the line and if the opponents switch to a nickel or dime, it would be even harder to stop him. Plus, the Bengals passed plenty when he was there so he knows how to protect where a rookie may not. I just think McGahee might do a little backsliding from last year and probably will miss time somewhere in the season. Having a legit threat in the backfield makes Manning that much more dangerous.

Benson is not young anymore and probably didn't think he'd still be unsigned this deep into the summer. He could be cheaper to sign that some people think. You give him a one-year deal with incentives and you could get a real bargain. Plus, ask any back whether they want to play in the same backfield as Manning and they might be willing to give away some salary just to play with him knowing they can reach the playoffs.

McGahee is bigger and as fast.

Simple Jaded
07-30-2012, 09:00 PM
I would have signed him months ago for the same reason Michael Bush and Peyton Hillis were signed by their teams and the same reason McGahee was signed last year. If he still has some gas left in the tank I honestly can't see any problem with it, if he doesn't you cut him.

Are we seriously that concerned about whether or not Fannin, Ball, Slowson and Johnson miss their chance? My guess is they couldn't produce as a whole like Benson could as an injury replacement. Besides, if they're better they'd beat him out.......

Fullback32
07-31-2012, 10:07 AM
Hook 'em! \m/ Bring him on and at least see what he can do. If he fails, cut him.

LTC Pain
07-31-2012, 11:41 AM
Negatory pigpen!

NightTerror218
07-31-2012, 11:44 AM
I think the 4th spot in the backfield goes to Gronkowski. If they keep 5, I'd put my money on Ball or Jeremiah Johnson with Omon as a dark horse. I don't see Fannin making this team unless they put him on the practice squad.

I think Gronk will make team with 4 RBs. 2 of them will catch lots of balls as check down (Moreno and Hillman). But the reason for 4 is to bring hillman around. If he proves to be a great back up to mcgahee then we go down to 3.

Superchop 7
08-05-2012, 04:44 PM
If McGahee and Moreno miss some games.....which is fairly likely.....depth is going to be huge.

DenBronx
08-05-2012, 04:50 PM
I'm on board with bringing in Benson. Depth is always a factor and we have had a bad history of injured RBs. So yeah, with Fannin getting hurt this would be a good move. Benson has actually been pretty productive when given the chance.

Would also like us to bring in Plax too.

Jsteve01
08-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Benson's ypc and yac were down last year. Much rather trot out Johnson or omon

Sun4funchaser
08-06-2012, 12:09 AM
I'm on board with bringing in Benson. Depth is always a factor and we have had a bad history of injured RBs. So yeah, with Fannin getting hurt this would be a good move. Benson has actually been pretty productive when given the chance.

Would also like us to bring in Plax too.

In light of the Fannin injury, I bet Benson has already booked a ticket on the next flight to Denver. If he passes Greek's physical we will see him suited up on Tuesday.

However, I dont see any reason to invite Plax to the party.

Pudge
08-06-2012, 12:26 AM
Knowshon has a huge year and everyone pretends they were behind him all along. That's my bold prediction for the year

Canmore
08-06-2012, 12:49 AM
Knowshon has a huge year and everyone pretends they were behind him all along. That's my bold prediction for the year

That is bold!