PDA

View Full Version : Why would Nolans less aggressive 3-4 be better than a more aggressive one?

lex
07-21-2009, 09:40 AM
Lets just get it out of the way, I welcome anyone not named Slowik calling the defense. But that aside, one of the characteristics you hear about with Nolan is that its not overly aggressive. Why would we be better off with Nolans version of a 3-4 than, say, something more aggressive like Lebeau or Capers?

CoachChaz
07-21-2009, 10:44 AM
Like everything else...we'll just have to wait and see

underrated29
07-21-2009, 11:00 AM
capers was my number 1 choice. but nolan was #2 and he will be pimp!

broncofanatic1987
07-21-2009, 11:58 AM
From everything that's been said by McDaniels and the players to this point, we can expect the defense to be aggressive.

People seem to think that McDaniels is just going to let Nolan do whatever he wants with no input from the head coach. I think McDaniels has made it clear that that is just not the case.

BTW, when Nolan coordinated the #3 and #6 defense in Baltimore, do you think anybody was complaining that the defense wasn't aggressive enough?

Aggressive or not, the goal this year should be to be better than last year. If the Broncos can achieve that goal, who cares if the defense is aggressive or not?

lex
07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
From everything that's been said by McDaniels and the players to this point, we can expect the defense to be aggressive.

People seem to think that McDaniels is just going to let Nolan do whatever he wants with no input from the head coach. I think McDaniels has made it clear that that is just not the case.

BTW, when Nolan coordinated the #3 and #6 defense in Baltimore, do you think anybody was complaining that the defense wasn't aggressive enough?

Aggressive or not, the goal this year should be to be better than last year. If the Broncos can achieve that goal, who cares if the defense is aggressive or not?

I dont know if they were complaining about how aggressive the defense was (or wasnt) in Baltimore. But I do know a lot of Niner fans werent happy with the lack of aggression in SF and also many were upset with the misuse of Lawson.

Superchop 7
07-21-2009, 03:51 PM
He doesn't have a dominant line, he "has" to play it safe.

dogfish
07-21-2009, 05:08 PM
because we're the broncos. . . . :coffee:

no, seriously, i'm with coach on this one-- i'm just going to wait and see. . . at least nolan is a reasonably well-respected and accomplished veteran of the NFL coaching ranks, with proven success at the coordinator level. . . and i also think having a guy with previous head coaching experience should be of some benefit to a young, rookie head coach, IF doogie can humble his ego enough to take advice from a subordinate (at the very least, nolan can tell him some things not to do as a HC :laugh: ). . .

when we passed on spagnuolo, sean mcdermott was the guy i really wanted, but with the way things have played out in philly i'm not so sure he would have been available anyways. . . either way, nolan should be a signifcant upgrade from slowick (of course, you could say the same thing about a paper sack full of turnips). . . as i stated in another recent thread, i really didn't love the way nolan built his defense from the back forwards in san fran, and i was disappointed (though not surprised) to see him take the same approach here. . .

i always have been and continue to be of the opinion that if we ever want to have an actual, quality NFL defense, at some point we're simply going to have to invest the necessary resources to build a solid defensive line-- either get back out on the limb and spend some more HIGH draft picks on the position and take the time to develop them, or pony up the cash to get a difference-maker or two in his prime through free agency. . .

until we get some actual talent in place, i'm not convinced that there's likely to be such a huge difference between one DC and the next. . . of couse if you have buddy ryan or dick lebeau there's almost no way possible that you get utterly humiliated the way we did last year, but even the ultimate schemers and motivators would have a hard time crafting more than a poor-to-mediocre-at-best defense out of the likes of nate webster and marquand manuel. . . we'll see if nolan can do better with guys like ryan mcbean, kenny peterson and andra davis. . .

at least we can go into the season feeling confident that our DC knows how a blitz should be correctly executed, and what the difference is between press, man-off and zone coverage. . .

underrated29
07-21-2009, 05:30 PM
because we're the broncos. . . . :coffee:

no, seriously, i'm with coach on this one-- i'm just going to wait and see. . . at least nolan is a reasonably well-respected and accomplished veteran of the NFL coaching ranks, with proven success at the coordinator level. . . and i also think having a guy with previous head coaching experience should be of some benefit to a young, rookie head coach, IF doogie can humble his ego enough to take advice from a subordinate (at the very least, nolan can tell him some things not to do as a HC :laugh: ). . .

when we passed on spagnuolo, sean mcdermott was the guy i really wanted, but with the way things have played out in philly i'm not so sure he would have been available anyways. . . either way, nolan should be a signifcant upgrade from slowick (of course, you could say the same thing about a paper sack full of turnips). . . as i stated in another recent thread, i really didn't love the way nolan built his defense from the back forwards in san fran, and i was disappointed (though not surprised) to see him take the same approach here. . .

i always have been and continue to be of the opinion that if we ever want to have an actual, quality NFL defense, at some point we're simply going to have to invest the necessary resources to build a solid defensive line-- either get back out on the limb and spend some more HIGH draft picks on the position and take the time to develop them, or pony up the cash to get a difference-maker or two in his prime through free agency. . .

until we get some actual talent in place, i'm not convinced that there's likely to be such a huge difference between one DC and the next. . . of couse if you have buddy ryan or dick lebeau there's almost no way possible that you get utterly humiliated the way we did last year, but even the ultimate schemers and motivators would have a hard time crafting more than a poor-to-mediocre-at-best defense out of the likes of nate webster and marquand manuel. . . we'll see if nolan can do better with guys like ryan mcbean, kenny peterson and andra davis. . .

at least we can go into the season feeling confident that our DC knows how a blitz should be correctly executed, and what the difference is between press, man-off and zone coverage. . .

And when to give 10 yard cushions on 3rd and 1, or in nolans case not too. ( i hope)

weazel
07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
I still don't see the line doing much to help us. Can't blame the DC for lack of talent on the field.

meh... lets see what happens

Lonestar
07-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Dog mentioned a sack full of turnips would be a good description of slowitt..

I don't think it would have to be full maybe a quarter full would be close..

Josh that is wise to bring on one of the top named DC available, we all had our favorites but Nolan knows what he is doing.. he will get more out of his players and design something to fit there abilities..

Unlike the absolute moron that was there before..

muse
07-22-2009, 05:08 AM
I just want to post this video as a reminder:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=349&videoID=2905&type=broncosTV&year=2008&month=10

As for Mike Nolan, I think he'll tailor the scheme to what we have. Although Nolan does prefer to keep things a little less conservative, he's good at recognising which strengths his players have.

LRtagger
07-22-2009, 07:59 AM
hahaha I love that video "I dont think you need to ever change your gameplan, just play with good technique"

muse
07-22-2009, 08:09 AM
hahaha I love that video "I dont think you need to ever change your gameplan, just play with good technique"

Q: What do you think of the blitz as a philosophy?
A: What do I think of the blitz...as...a...I think, er...we, er, use...the..um..."blitz"...as much as...as much as other teams. Yeah. "Blitz".