PDA

View Full Version : Dan Mohrmann (@DanMohrmann) says it's time to part ways with Joe Mays

Tned
07-29-2012, 11:11 AM
Dan Mohrmann, man of many trades at Mile High Sports (radio producer, on air talent, contributor to Mile High Magazine) put up a new posting today about Joe Mays and the MLB spot for the Broncos.

The Broncos need to part ways with their middle linebacker
By Dan Mohrmann | @DanMohrmann

Josh McDaniels did not get a lot things right during his time in Denver. He has had his success stories (wide receivers Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker) and his big-time blunders (Kyle Orton and Knowshon Moreno), which ultimately cost him his job. But there was one move that – although under the radar – worked out well in for the Denver Broncos. Early in the 2010 season, McDaniels sent running back J.J. Arrington to Philadelphia in order to acquire linebacker Joe Mays.

In terms of the production the Broncos would have received from Arrington and the production they actually got from Mays, the trade certainly worked out in favor of Denver. Mays was a contributor on special teams before injuries allowed him to break into the starting the lineup for the McDaniels-led Broncos. An injury ended Mays’ 2010 season four games early, but he was able to rebound in 2011 after McDaniels had been fired and John Fox was brought on as head coach.

Mays did an admirable job of filling a hole in the Broncos defense and playing well enough to hold on to that job during the entire 2011 season. But as the season ended and Mays looked on to free agency, the Broncos made a grave mistake. They brought Mays back on with a three-year contract worth $12 million...

Read Dan's full post here: http://www.milehighsports.com/?p=11382

gregbroncs
07-29-2012, 11:37 AM
I don't understand why they need to cut him? At worst he adds depth to a weak LB corp. If he does not win the starting job then he should maybe be cut due to his salary. But they at least should keep him until somebody steps up and proves that they are better than him.

SR
07-29-2012, 11:48 AM
I don't understand why they need to cut him? At worst he adds depth to a weak LB corp. If he does not win the starting job then he should maybe be cut due to his salary. But they at least should keep him until somebody steps up and proves that they are better than him.
That's the point

LTC Pain
07-29-2012, 11:57 AM

And how do you propose the Broncos cut Mayes' salary? They can't. Either he stays on the roster at current salary or gets cut/traded.

Timmy!
07-29-2012, 11:57 AM
It did say "the best thing for Elway to do is cut or trade Mays." Im not a big fan of Mays, but that was some of the dumbest shit ive read in a while.

SoCalImport
07-29-2012, 12:43 PM
Rubbish. Mays is currently our best option at MLB so lets cut him?

topscribe
07-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Even though Dan the Destroyer thinks he knows more than Elway, Fox, and
Del Rio put together, he doesn't know what he is talking about. I myself was
ready to start trumpeting for jettisoning Mays last year. But he has been
getting rave reviews from the coaches this year, not only for his performance
in the base defense but also from his improved coverage skills. They say he's
even faster this year.

Dan the Destroyer also does not realize how long it takes for a MLB to grow
into that position. The MLB has to know not only his own position, but all the
others on defense, too. Irving did not have an offseason last year, so he's
effectively still a rookie this year at MLB. This is why they are trying him out
at weak and strong -- he's just not ready for Mike.

This shows how silly a writer can get when he voices his opinions on a
player's or team's performance the previous year. As for me, I would rather
go by the observations of those who have seen the player this year. And,
this year, they apparently really like Mays.

gregbroncs
07-29-2012, 01:27 PM
And how do you propose the Broncos cut Mayes' salary? They can't. Either he stays on the roster at current salary or gets cut/traded.I specifically said if he does not win the starting spot maybe he needs cut. But there is no point in cutting him if he's our best option at MLB. And I'm not sure now is the time to cut him when we have a weak corp at LB.

gregbroncs
07-29-2012, 01:30 PM
That's the point

If that was the point of the article then that guy is a crappy writer. I came away from that article believing that guy thought he should be cut/traded regardless.

Chef Zambini
07-29-2012, 01:36 PM
everyone knew we needed an MLB in the draft or from free agency, everyone.
elway and gang chose to bank on mays instead.
you guys need to stop posting these threads that remind me about why i was so dissapointed with this years draft!
stop it !
I hope we dont have to read any threads about DJ or doom...

SR
07-29-2012, 01:43 PM
If that was the point of the article then that guy is a crappy writer. I came away from that article believing that guy thought he should be cut/traded regardless.

That's what I thought too. That was the point of that guy's article. He's a moron to think we should just dump the best MLB on the roster

silkamilkamonico
07-29-2012, 01:47 PM
everyone knew we needed an MLB in the draft or from free agency, everyone.
elway and gang chose to bank on mays instead.
you guys need to stop posting these threads that remind me about why i was so dissapointed with this years draft!
stop it !
I hope we dont have to read any threads about DJ or doom...

JE and the gang chose to draft a MLB in the draft last year, how did that work out for them? Do you expect them to draft an early-mid round MLB every year until a rookie comes in and somehow lights it up at the position his first year?

Ravage!!!
07-29-2012, 02:20 PM
I'm one of the few that is ok with Mays. I think he'll be fine. NO, he's not going to be an Al Wilson by ANY stretch. But for now, he's servicable and will be ok....better than ok even. I have a feeling he's going to come on strong this season. But as Silk pointed out, we can't simply draft a MLB every draft and HOPE a rookie (of which even Al Wilson wasn't good at his rookie season, but got a lot of playing time due to injury) somehow comes in and out plays everyone?

I think "the destroyer" completely missed the mark on this one.

Tned
07-29-2012, 02:53 PM
The Destroyer was my nickname for him, by the way, from some funny radio stuff last year on Spano's show.

I can kind of sees both sides.

On the one hand, Mays isn't very dynamic, and at best is one dimensional, you might even say a fraction of a dimension. He's good at moving straight forward and lowering the boom, but not much else.

On the other hand is he still the best we have, especially with the LB corps short handed with crap for brains DJ gone for six games? The question is whether the Broncos would be better this year and in the future by switching to Irving or Trevathon (better at will?) Or the free agent we picked up (drawing blank on name).

My thinking is that if Irving isn't ready to start, then Mays is the best option. If they think Irving is close to ready, then rip the nipple off and let the kid play ball.

Sent from my Android Xoom using Forum Runner

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 03:20 PM
It just seems like odd timing to make this statement. At the end of the season I was ready to see a different option at MLB, but obviously, forming their plan, the FO went with what I would describe as a stop gap, and is probably an indictment of Irvng, and focus on other areas of concern (quarterback, center, defensive line, cornerback), and just go with what they had at MLB.

You don't cut him now.

That said, does an improved defensive line (Warren back and reportedly playing well) make Mays less hesitant against the pass because he's not the sole run game defense? Lammey (I think) said he really liked what he saw on Day 1 of TC. Does a better set of corners (Porter, Florence and Bolden) help him make better reads because they're in better position?

I think there are reasons to be optimistic about Mays, and I certainly wouldn't want him cut at this point.

sneakers
07-29-2012, 03:29 PM
lol Dan the destroyer

Nomad
07-29-2012, 03:56 PM
I'm one of the few that is ok with Mays. I think he'll be fine. NO, he's not going to be an Al Wilson by ANY stretch. But for now, he's servicable and will be ok....better than ok even. I have a feeling he's going to come on strong this season. But as Silk pointed out, we can't simply draft a MLB every draft and HOPE a rookie (of which even Al Wilson wasn't good at his rookie season, but got a lot of playing time due to injury) somehow comes in and out plays everyone?

I think "the destroyer" completely missed the mark on this one.

I agree with you.

lol Dan the destroyer

Reminds me of the cheesy movie "Conan the Destroyer". :lol:

Tned
07-29-2012, 05:26 PM
It just seems like odd timing to make this statement. At the end of the season I was ready to see a different option at MLB, but obviously, forming their plan, the FO went with what I would describe as a stop gap, and is probably an indictment of Irvng, and focus on other areas of concern (quarterback, center, defensive line, cornerback), and just go with what they had at MLB.

You don't cut him now.

That said, does an improved defensive line (Warren back and reportedly playing well) make Mays less hesitant against the pass because he's not the sole run game defense? Lammey (I think) said he really liked what he saw on Day 1 of TC. Does a better set of corners (Porter, Florence and Bolden) help him make better reads because they're in better position?

I think there are reasons to be optimistic about Mays, and I certainly wouldn't want him cut at this point.

I think Lammey said that Mays looked better against the pass, or something like that. Didn't he?

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 05:36 PM
I think Lammey said that Mays looked better against the pass, or something like that. Didn't he?

I thought it was Lammey. I can't remember for sure.

Tned
07-29-2012, 06:17 PM
Dan sent me a message asking me to pass on his thanks for you taking the time to read and discuss his piece on Mays.

Ziggy
07-29-2012, 06:20 PM
The Broncos structured Mays contract for 3 years, with 4 million guaranteed. All 4 million are this season, so they can cut ties with him at no cost if he doesn't work out this year. If he doesn't, the Broncos can go after a Brian Urlacher type in free agency, or Manti Te'o in the draft.

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 06:21 PM
The Broncos structured Mays contract for 3 years, with 4 million guaranteed. All 4 million are this season, so they can cut ties with him at no cost if he doesn't work out this year. If he doesn't, the Broncos can go after a Brian Urlacher type in free agency, or Manti Te'o in the draft.

I'm guessing that's the front office's line of thinking, as well.

Canmore
07-29-2012, 08:55 PM

You don't cut him now.

No, cutting him is not going to happen. He is here first and foremost to stop the run. On that point he doesn't do a bad job. Comments out of training camp say Mays looks better in pass coverage. Granted, it's early, but at least those are positive attributes.

Also, I'm curious who the nickel linebackers are without DJ.

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 08:59 PM
No, cutting him is not going to happen. He is here first and foremost to stop the run. On that point he doesn't do a bad job. Comments out of training camp say Mays looks better in pass coverage. Granted, it's early, but at least those are positive attributes.

Also, I'm curious who the nickle linebackers are without DJ.

If Wolfe really can play immediately, then the nickel linebackers are going to be Miller and Woodyard.

If he can't, then things are a little more complicated, I'd imagine Woodyard and Mays.

Likewise, I still am concerned about Miller's use in Del Rio's defense, though most are unconcerned. He's an elite pass rusher, but previous Del Rio schemes have not featured many rushing linebackers. That has me concerned. He's the type of talent who could be a complete force as a pass rusher, and the way they've put this team together and the coordinator they hired, I'm not sure it's going to come to fruition, which will be a complete shame.

Canmore
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
If Wolfe really can play immediately, then the nickel linebackers are going to be Miller and Woodyard.

If he can't, then things are a little more complicated, I'd imagine Woodyard and Mays.

Likewise, I still am concerned about Miller's use in Del Rio's defense, though most are unconcerned. He's an elite pass rusher, but previous Del Rio schemes have not featured many rushing linebackers. That has me concerned. He's the type of talent who could be a complete force as a pass rusher, and the way they've put this team together and the coordinator they hired, I'm not sure it's going to come to fruition, which will be a complete shame.

Miller's use isn't something that I had thought about except in passing (thought). Miller looks like an elite pass (edge) rusher. I was assuming that the Broncos, meaning Del Rio and Fox would employ Miller in a similar vein to last year. I can't speak really intelligently on Del Rio but he had Peter Boulware in Baltimore in a similar position and had great success. I guess we will know soon enough how they are going to play Von Miller.

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 09:23 PM
Miller's use isn't something that I had thought about except in passing (thought). Miller looks like an elite pass (edge) rusher. I was assuming that the Broncos, meaning Del Rio and Fox would employ Miller in a similar vein to last year. I can't speak really intelligently on Del Rio but he had Peter Boulware in Baltimore in a similar position and had great success. I guess we will know soon enough how they are going to play Von Miller.

People continue to point to Boulware, but since Boulware, as a head coach, he's never had a linebacker who's had more than 2.5 sacks (I believe, that's going off memory). The schemes he, himself, employed (not those employed by guys he's worked for as with Boulware) have not employed blitzing linebackers. He's employed giant defensive lines who have gotten by on strength, not speed. The defensive line Denver has is completely opposite of that and the best rusher he has is a linebacker.

We'll see, but I am leery.

topscribe
07-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Well, the way I look at it is Del Rio is smarter than me, and I would play to Miller's strengths . . .

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 09:32 PM
Well, the way I look at it is Del Rio is smarter than me, and I would play to Miller's strengths . . .

I hope so.

Schematically, he hasn't done that in the past.

gregbroncs
07-29-2012, 09:47 PM
People continue to point to Boulware, but since Boulware, as a head coach, he's never had a linebacker who's had more than 2.5 sacks (I believe, that's going off memory). The schemes he, himself, employed (not those employed by guys he's worked for as with Boulware) have not employed blitzing linebackers. He's employed giant defensive lines who have gotten by on strength, not speed. The defensive line Denver has is completely opposite of that and the best rusher he has is a linebacker.

We'll see, but I am leery.Didn't Miller play DE on passing downs last season? Do you think he won't do that again this season? I have a hard time believing that Fox would just allow a D-coord to not use a #2 pick to his strengths. Fox is not Shannahan he does know something about defense.

Simple Jaded
07-29-2012, 09:50 PM
Del Rio has never had a LB like Miller but if he is not getting Miller involved in the pass rush I would hope that Fox would step in and make it happen.......

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 09:54 PM
Didn't Miller play DE on passing downs last season? Do you think he won't do that again this season? I have a hard time believing that Fox would just allow a D-coord to not use a #2 pick to his strengths. Fox is not Shannahan he does know something about defense.

I hope so too.

Del Rio has never had a LB like Miller but if he is not getting Miller involved in the pass rush I would hope that Fox would step in and make it happen.......

I hope so too.

Tned
07-29-2012, 10:04 PM
Also, I'm curious who the nickle linebackers are without DJ.

Woodyard and the rookie, Leviathon, Treviathon, whatever his name is. Presumably, Miller's moving to DE, and Woodyard and the Rook are the LB's in nickel.

Simple Jaded
07-29-2012, 10:07 PM
It's a legitimate concern, who'd of thought the Eagles would sign the best bump-and-run CB just to play everything but bump-and-run? But when the Broncos absolutely have to have a defensive stop you would think Del Rio is smart enough to take off the handcuffs.......

MOtorboat
07-29-2012, 10:21 PM
Woodyard and the rookie, Leviathon, Treviathon, whatever his name is. Presumably, Miller's moving to DE, and Woodyard and the Rook are the LB's in nickel.

I think, as long as D.J. Williams is suspended, the nickel linebackers are going to be Mays and Woodyard, with Miller going to a defensive end-like position (at least that's how I would use him).

UNLESS, the Broncos are comfortable with Dumervil, Ayers and Wolfe playing a NASCAR-like line, with Miller roving. If Wolfe and Ayers can be those guys (IF) then Miller and Woodyard can be the nickel linebackers, and IF Bailey, Porter, Harris and Florence are studs, then presumably, Miller OR Woodyard, could blitz at any time, making the defensive scheme even more dangerous. And THAT opens up corner blitzes, and Bailey and Porter are both physical corners.

Oh, man, I hopes its as good as I'm thinking.

Jsteve01
07-29-2012, 10:37 PM
Miller will line up almost exclusively at de in nickel situations. That leaves wood, trevathathan Mays and Irvin for 6 games. Im thinking the kentucky combo of woodyard and trevathantrevathan

Canmore
07-29-2012, 10:39 PM

We'll see, but I am leery.

Boulware and the Baltimore defense I am familiar with. Wasn't familiar with Del Rio's track record as a head coach. I would like to think we are going to play to our strengths. That is something Fox has shown an ability to do with the Denver offense and defense I feel. I certainly hope that is going to continue with Del Rio as coordinator.

Tned
07-29-2012, 11:07 PM
I think, as long as D.J. Williams is suspended, the nickel linebackers are going to be Mays and Woodyard, with Miller going to a defensive end-like position (at least that's how I would use him).

Could be, but from what I've been reading, early in camp they have been playing Woodyard and Trevathon with the first team nickel defense, not Mays. So, that tells me they are giving Trevathon a chance to win the nickel starting spot, and will only fall back to Mays if Trevathon doesn't hold the spot.

Tned
07-30-2012, 08:45 AM
Could be, but from what I've been reading, early in camp they have been playing Woodyard and Trevathon with the first team nickel defense, not Mays. So, that tells me they are giving Trevathon a chance to win the nickel starting spot, and will only fall back to Mays if Trevathon doesn't hold the spot.

I asked Cecil Lammey what he's been seeing at camp when the Broncos are in nickel and this is what he said. I asked if Von's been playing DE in Nickel.

@BroncosForums they're experimenting - von is hybrid DE on most downs, not really OLB, front 4 in nickel usually 91,94,96,92

getlynched47
07-30-2012, 02:53 PM
As far as I know, Nate Irving is our only other option at Middle Linebacker. If he can't beat Joe Mays, then I see no reason to get rid of our starting middle linebacker.

Buff
07-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Beef said he has the nicest body on the team, so I think that should count for something.

weazel
07-30-2012, 03:24 PM
they could replace any of our LB's with any no-names and I dont think they would miss a beat

Cugel
07-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Elway did not feel comfortable locking Mays up long-term, but still proved to not be happy with his other options. The best thing for Elway at this point is to cut or trade Mays and hope Irving can grow into the position. He is built more like a middle linebacker than Mays is and he has a veteran defensive coordinator in Jack Del Rio – also a former linebacker – that can help him fine-tune his game. Mays was given his opportunity and made the most out of it.

The question I have is this. How do guys get jobs as sportswriters when they write stuff as stupid as this?

Obviously if Elway & Fox thought that Irving could do the job as starting MLB they would NEVER have signed Joe Mays to a $4 million a year contract! That's STARTER money.

Now this idiot can say that Joe's not worth the money. Fine, we'll see this season. But, to suggest that the Broncos EAT HIS SALARY by trading or cutting him at this point is beyond idiotic.

If they were going to replace Joe Mays they should have let him go in FA and signed a FA MLB back in February or March! Failing that they are stuck with Mays for this season and probably beyond that unless Irving just has a breakout year.

And frankly, nobody expects Irving to do much this season. That's why he is the backup. If he supplants Mays by the end of the season we'll know he's had some significant development this year and that Mays will be expendable next off season.

Until then this idiot needs to give it a rest. :coffee:

Chef Zambini
07-30-2012, 04:18 PM

UNLESS, the Broncos are comfortable with Dumervil, Ayers and Wolfe playing a NASCAR-like line, with Miller roving. If Wolfe and Ayers can be those guys (IF) then Miller and Woodyard can be the nickel linebackers, and IF Bailey, Porter, Harris and Florence are studs, then presumably, Miller OR Woodyard, could blitz at any time, making the defensive scheme even more dangerous. And THAT opens up corner blitzes, and Bailey and Porter are both physical corners.

Oh, man, I hopes its as good as I'm thinking.do you have a gameplan in place for the games DOOM is going to miss?

Timmy!
07-30-2012, 04:42 PM
do you have a gameplan in place for the games DOOM is going to miss?

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

Tned
07-30-2012, 06:50 PM
As far as I know, Nate Irving is our only other option at Middle Linebacker. If he can't beat Joe Mays, then I see no reason to get rid of our starting middle linebacker.

They've been running Irving at SLB in camp.

TXBRONC
07-31-2012, 09:09 AM

Oh, man, I hopes its as good as I'm thinking.

Mays maybe looking better in coverage but I don't think they'll want him out their in nickle situations if they can avoid it.

MOtorboat
07-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Mays maybe looking better in coverage but I don't think they'll want him out their in nickle situations if they can avoid it.

Since I've made that post I've learned Trevathan is running nickel, and I'm excited about that.

Thnikkaman
07-31-2012, 09:20 AM
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/000/554/facepalm.jpg

I'd say ignore it and it will go away, but it's like a 4 year old child. He will just get progressively worse until you give him the attention he wants.

Tned
08-01-2012, 07:49 AM
On Spano's show last night, he had D in Denver (I think another Mile High Sports radio guy) on talking about training camp and Broncos. This D in Denver guy said that when he was interviewing Mays that Mays brought up the work he had done in the offseason on footwork and pass coverage skills. He said he didn't ask the question, but instead Mays offered that on his own. So, obviously, Mays is clearly aware that is a weakness in his game, and maybe that offseason work is why we've read some indications that Mays is doing a better job in pass coverage.

Simple Jaded
08-01-2012, 01:42 PM
This is make or break year for Mays, if he improves in those areas they may keep him beyond 2012, if he doesn't they'll be looking for his replacement, imo.......

Ravage!!!
08-01-2012, 01:46 PM
This is make or break year for Mays, if he improves in those areas they may keep him beyond 2012, if he doesn't they'll be looking for his replacement, imo.......

I think they have when they drafted a MLB last year. I think its the 2nd year's player to prove if Mays sticks around or not.

Canmore
08-02-2012, 02:26 AM
I think they have when they drafted a MLB last year. I think its the 2nd year's player to prove if Mays sticks around or not.

From what I heard Irving is playing behind Von Miller. I don't even know who May's backup is, anyone? I'm sure Elway would love to have Al Wilson reincarnated, but that doesn't look to likely. If Elway didn't think Mays was at least the short term answer, he wouldn't have given him a 3 year contract for 12 million. Granted, only 4 million is guaranteed, basically the first year and then it is an audition for continued employment. Still, it looks like Joe Mays is the answer at least for the near future.

Tned
08-02-2012, 07:22 AM
From what I heard Irving is playing behind Von Miller. I don't even know who May's backup is, anyone? I'm sure Elway would love to have Al Wilson reincarnated, but that doesn't look to likely. If Elway didn't think Mays was at least the short term answer, he wouldn't have given him a 3 year contract for 12 million. Granted, only 4 million is guaranteed, basically the first year and then it is an audition for continued employment. Still, it looks like Joe Mays is the answer at least for the near future.

I asked that question, and was told it's Mike Mohamed. So, in other words, there is nobody behind Mays. It's his job, period this year.

I think, as you say, this year is a chance for Mays to show he's improved and become a better all round MLB, or next year they probably draft another or pick up a free agent. Of course, there is still probably a very slim chance that Irving comes around, but the fact they moved him to Von's backup is not a good sign.

It's important to note that Woodyard in a nickel roll (other than the brief fill in for DJ's elbow injury) led the team in total tackles (second to DJ in solo tackles). That means they ran a lot of nickel defense, which put Woodyard on the field and Mays on the bench. While we don't know exactly what Del Rio will do, it's probably a safe assumption that with the trend in the NFL to spread things out, that the Broncos will be running a ton of nickel again and at this point that looks like it would be Woodyard and Trevathon at LB, with Von moving down to DE, and Mays off the field.

Once DJ's back, he either wins his job back, or becomes the nickel MLB or potentially could replace Mays at MLB. Let's remember that at the time that DJ tweeted out a pictures of his playbook, that he said that he was asked to learn a "new position." I can't remember if he specified whether that was MLB or SLB, but while I don't think it's the best spot for him, he did play quite a few years at MLB for the Broncos.

Tned
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Once DJ's back, he either wins his job back, or becomes the nickel MLB or potentially could replace Mays at MLB. Let's remember that at the time that DJ tweeted out a pictures of his playbook, that he said that he was asked to learn a "new position." I can't remember if he specified whether that was MLB or SLB, but while I don't think it's the best spot for him, he did play quite a few years at MLB for the Broncos.

I sent a question out to some of the Broncos beat reporters about DJ and his comment about learning a new position, and whether he meant SLB or MLB, here is Lindsay Jones response:

RT @PostBroncos: @BroncosForums MLB. My guess now is because he has to do so much scout team in camp, and then for depth.